Barnes and Boston

Barnes making news in Boston.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...eltics-focused-harrison-barnes-top-target?amp

the trade that I think makes sense for both sides is a 3 player trade.

Kings send out: Barnes, Bjelica and Whiteside

Kings receive: Thompson, Nesmith, G Williams and a lottery protected 1st.

why for Sac: Sac gets younger and gets two young rotation players in Williams and Nesmith both of whom can play the wing where the Kings have limited depth. They also get a 1st and Thompson as a back up rim running center. Like the Cousins trade they get a little worse this year in hopes of getting a top 5 pick.

why for Boston: Boston gets a win now piece in Barnes that slides into their starting 4 spot. Bjelica adds shooting off the bench and Whiteside gives them a back-up center. They also stay out of the luxury tax with this deal

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Good base, but I'm not taking back any future salary for next season from a vet contract. Part of the appeal of dealing a Barnes/Buddy is it gives you cap space to potentially take bloated contracts for future draft assets or take a flier on a young guy in FA.

Good base, but I'm not taking back any future salary for next season from a vet contract. Part of the appeal of dealing a Barnes/Buddy is it gives you cap space to potentially take bloated contracts for future draft assets or take a flier on a young guy in FA.
we are not going to do anything in free agency next year regardless until we see what we have. Does Bagley keep growing? If we had Nesmith does he progress. How does Williams look?

So Thompson’s 10M will be almost irrelevant and as an expiring 10M might be a movable contract if we want to take salary back with a pick etc. or make a trade. You need contracts to match salary’s.

Taking Thompson back at 10M to facilitate a trade that might not happen otherwise is the last thing that should block this deal in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-trade-rumors-are-celtics-focused-harrison-barnes-top-target?amp

why for Sac: Sac gets younger and gets two young rotation players in Williams and Nesmith both of whom can play the wing where the Kings have limited depth. They also get a 1st and Thompson as a back up rim running center. Like the Cousins trade they get a little worse this year in hopes of getting a top 5 pick.

why for Boston: Boston gets a win now piece in Barnes that slides into their starting 4 spot. Bjelica adds shooting off the bench and Whiteside gives them a back-up center. They also stay out of the luxury tax with this deal
Replace Williams with Langford and your getting a more equitable trade. Or add more draft capital and not late 2nd round picks.

we are not going to do anything in free agency next year regardless until we see what we have. Does Bagley keep growing? If we had Nesmith does he progress. How does Williams look?

So Thompson’s 10M will be almost irrelevant and as an expiring 10M might be a movable contract if we want to take salary back with a pick etc. or make a trade. You need contracts to match salary’s.

Taking Thompson back at 10M to facilitate a trade that might not happen otherwise is the last thing that should block this deal in my opinion.
I’ve championed Thompson as a vet option for us on this forum more times than once and I’m with you here as well. He is someone with a ring who can provide locker room leadership to that can still and always has been able to rebound like a beast. Like Len and Whiteside, we’ve seen what a big body can do to help our interior D and I wouldn’t say he’s a defensive stopper by any means but he clogs the paint and can provide some toughness hopefully and if he doesn’t an expiring contract shouldn't be tough to flip

Additionally, I really like Grant Williams and his perimeter defending potential and would love to take a flier on him at this point to see how he’d fit with our young core

Replace Williams with Langford and your getting a more equitable trade. Or add more draft capital and not late 2nd round picks.
yeah most have Nesmith or Langford but not both over Williams. Nesmith is a better perimeter shooter and can play the 3. Langford is probably the better defender.

Think they'd go for Nesmith and Robert Williams or would that be too much from the Celtics side?
This is what I'd want. Bob Williams is very much "Richaun Holmes 2.0" where he's gonna flirt with being a top 15 center if he gets the playing time. I'd be fine taking back Thompson in that case, since we're essentially building their playoff bench. Would give us some flexibility if we lost Holmes in the off-season.

This is what I'd want. Bob Williams is very much "Richaun Holmes 2.0" where he's gonna flirt with being a top 15 center if he gets the playing time. I'd be fine taking back Thompson in that case, since we're essentially building their playoff bench. Would give us some flexibility if we lost Holmes in the off-season.
Yeah he's a bit redundant to Holmes, albeit a better defender. He's never really quite passed the eye test to me but his metrics always say that he's an above average player. Going younger while getting impactful players is always a plus when rebuilding. Plus Grant Williams just doesn't do anything for me. We have enough G League tweeners on the team.

Yeah he's a bit redundant to Holmes, albeit a better defender. He's never really quite passed the eye test to me but his metrics always say that he's an above average player. Going younger while getting impactful players is always a plus when rebuilding. Plus Grant Williams just doesn't do anything for me. We have enough G League tweeners on the team.
its more
Barnes for Nesmith and 1st and Thompson

Bjelicia for Grant Williams.

Structured differently but that is the rough value mapping.

Boston fans believe Pritchard > Langford > Williams > Nesmith. Nesmith has looked like garbage to them. Langford has been hurt, but has potential. They see Williams as spare parts. I trust fans who watch each and every game.

So Pritchard + 1st + Thompson for Barnes, Whiteside, Belli + 2nd? Yes.

Langford + Nesmith + 1st + Thompson for Barnes + Whiteside + Belli + 2nd? Yes.

Any other Boston combo without Langford or a first? No.

Boston fans believe Pritchard > Langford > Williams > Nesmith. Nesmith has looked like garbage to them. Langford has been hurt, but has potential. They see Williams as spare parts. I trust fans who watch each and every game.

So Pritchard + 1st + Thompson for Barnes, Whiteside, Belli + 2nd? Yes.

Langford + Nesmith + 1st + Thompson for Barnes + Whiteside + Belli + 2nd? Yes.

Any other Boston combo without Langford or a first? No.
well as someone who follows Boston pretty closely most Boston fans have not seen Langford play so I’m not sure where you are getting your data. Langford has not been able to stay healthy and see the floor in his first two years.

The problem is we need forwards and Pritchard and Langford are strictly guards. Williams has also been playing largely out of position as an undersized power forward. He is more a defensive three than a PF.

Nesmith has struggled but is showing some improvement. Remember these rookies had no summer and a very limited preseason. Nesmith was also injured his last season in college so he has started slower. But Nesmith is the more pure shooter which fits with our team.

well as someone who follows Boston pretty closely most Boston fans have not seen Langford play so I’m not sure where you are getting your data. Langford has not been able to stay healthy and see the floor in his first two years.

The problem is we need forwards and Pritchard and Langford are strictly guards. Williams has also been playing largely out of position as an undersized power forward. He is more a defensive three than a PF.

Nesmith has struggled but is showing some improvement. Remember these rookies had no summer and a very limited preseason. Nesmith was also injured his last season in college so he has started slower. But Nesmith is the more pure shooter which fits with our team.
I care less about fit than pure upside on a young player. Pritchard didn't have a summer league either and he's significantly more valuable than Nesmith. I've watched a decent amount of games as well this year and each time Pritchard has stood out while the others have been ghosts.

I care less about fit than pure upside on a young player. Pritchard didn't have a summer league either and he's significantly more valuable than Nesmith. I've watched a decent amount of games as well this year and each time Pritchard has stood out while the others have been ghosts.
Langford has been a ghost because he has been injured. If you watch Boston you know Williams played some very strong defense last year.

Langford has been a ghost because he has been injured. If you watch Boston you know Williams played some very strong defense last year.
I noted that Langford has been hurt in my original response. Despite that, during the times he’s played, he’s flashed more potential than either Nesmith nor Williams. As for Williams, he’s a 4, who can sometimes play the 3. Not the other way around. So unless the Kings are getting Langford or Pritchard back, I’m not doing that trade. Fit be damned.

And I’ll just say it again, I’ll take Boston fans view of their players over anyone else’s, I’ve watched enough Celts games to know their strengths and weaknesses, to know who passes the eye test (Brown’s been a stud, Teague should be in China, Pritchard has been a beast...), and who doesn’t. But wouldn’t trust my view of their players over theirs.

Maybe he just lost the balls, pun intended.
Some combination of:
a) teams are too chicken to trade with him for fear of being the next victim
b) he thinks he is smarter than he is and now won't pull the trigger on any deal that isn't an obvious one-sided deal in his favor
c) a few really dumb teams plus some dumb luck made him look way smarter than he ever was

I guess b) is what you're getting at? I think c) is definitely a major possibility. He had some very right time/right place moves fall into his lap.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-trade-rumors-are-celtics-focused-harrison-barnes-top-target?amp

For all that is holy, why would we do this? This is a terrible trade for the Kings. We get back three scrubs and a protected 1st round pick for the reigning rebound leader, and a starting SF?

For all that is holy, why would we do this? This is a terrible trade for the Kings. We get back three scrubs and a protected 1st round pick for the reigning rebound leader, and a starting SF?
I'm not necessarily advocating for this deal, but here's the logic:

Bjelica and Whiteside are FAs after this season and likely will move on. Well, Nemanja definitely will and Hassan likely would. Barnes has had a very good season but is also overpaid for his production and not likely a long term piece. The Kings absorb Thompson's contract but it's half of Harrison's and ends a year sooner.

Nesmith is potentially a Buddy Hield replacement for far cheaper and with the Kings long losing streak the team may as well embrace the tank and deal veterans to open up playing time for the young players on the roster while picking up another mid to late 1st round pick.

Right now Sacramento has exactly two building block pieces in Haliburton and Fox and they need to build around them.