Artest Told By Petrie He Will Not Be Traded, Also

Grant just said he can tell us unequivitely that Geoff Petrie never said he won't trade Ron Artest and that he will trade Artest if the right deal comes along. He also said he doesn't care what Artest says because he changes his mind alot. The thing that bothered Grant is when Artest says he wants to be the franchise player and how he is in the same category as Kobe,TMac,etc... he is not even in the same area code as those guys and that is why Artest trys and takes over games because he thinks he is as good as those players when he is not.

Grant just said he can tell us unequivitely that Geoff Petrie never said he won't trade Ron Artest and that he will trade Artest if the right deal comes along. He also said he doesn't care what Artest says because he changes his mind alot. The thing that bothered Grant is when Artest says he wants to be the franchise player and how he is in the same category as Kobe,TMac,etc... he is not even in the same area code as those guys and that is why Artest trys and takes over games because he thinks he is as good as those players when he is not.
wow! i never knew ron thought he was a tmac or kobe bryant man ron is good but not gifted, but can we blame him 4 trying everyone else stunk on the roster besides ron and martin, maybe thesus can convince him he can be a 2-3 option and somehow show him we can win that way, then we would all love ron artest! hopefully!

wow! i never knew ron thought he was a tmac or kobe bryant man ron is good but not gifted, but can we blame him 4 trying everyone else stunk on the roster besides ron and martin, maybe thesus can convince him he can be a 2-3 option and somehow show him we can win that way, then we would all love ron artest! hopefully!
Ron has always played this way.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know when I'll be impressed with ANYTHING Grant Napear has to say about Ron Artest or any other player on the team?

When he has the nerve to say it to their faces instead of on his radio show.

Ya like he will say that to there face? He is just speculating and when Grant says something it is usually right since he is so close to the team. I was just telling what I heard on the show. By the way they are up in Tahoe this week for the celebrity golf tourney and if any of you have not been up there to see it is alot of fun.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ya like he will say that to there face?
Of course he won't ... and that's my point. Grant says a lot of stuff just to stir things up. And he's gotten in trouble for them before. The number one thing that stands out in my memory is his on-air accusation of Bobby Jackson where he accused Bobby of faking an injury.

He is just speculating and when Grant says something it is usually right since he is so close to the team.
It's not speculation when it's something like this:

BRad1055 said:
he thing that bothered Grant is when Artest says he wants to be the franchise player and how he is in the same category as Kobe,TMac,etc... he is not even in the same area code as those guys and that is why Artest trys and takes over games because he thinks he is as good as those players when he is not.
If Grant really feels that way, then fine. Cool. Next time he holds a mike up to Artest's face after a game, let him say so. Talk is cheap on his radio show but he's totally different when he's face-to-face with the guys. That's my point.

You also have to realize when he is on the air broadcasting a game he is working for the Kings and Maloofs, so he can't come on the air and say that, but when he is not working for the kings as he is when he is doing his radio show he can say his opinions.

If I remeber and maybe I am wrong here, but didnt Grant say to BJaxs face when BJax was on with Grant that he thought BJax should have played with the injury the cracked ribs or whatever it was he had I can't remember off hand.

Ron has always played this way.
no one complains when we were winning! any way he's a nba player and what do nba players do, try to play their best basketball, so i guess he was trying to be his best, but his best is or not to our own curriculum, so my conclusion ron is a great player simply because he balances out great "D" adequate offense, what more can you ask for, but i mean a big but, i mean Mc hammer but, if someone offers a prospect PF not lee or haslem garbage point PF but i mean someone like wright, frye then we start negotiating.

No he doesnt. Grant has said many times how great of a guy Ron has been to him off the court. I think Grant just hates as do I that Ron Artest thinks he is better than he actually is and that he is a franchise player like a Kobe, which he is not.

no one complains when we were winning! any way he's a nba player and what do nba players do, try to play their best basketball, so i guess he was trying to be his best, but his best is or not to our own curriculum, so my conclusion ron is a great player simply because he balances out great "D" adequate offense, what more can you ask for, but i mean a big but, i mean Mc hammer but, if someone offers a prospect PF not lee or haslem garbage point PF but i mean someone like wright, frye then we start negotiating.
Why are you getting so defensive? He's always been a bit of a black hole on offense. It's just the way it is.

Before ya'll continue to go off on Grant just ask yourself "do have the guts to talk smack about Artest to his face?" - I sure as heck don't

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Just to throw this idea in the mix -- if Ron's defense is better than league average to a comparative degree that Kobe and TMac's offense is better than league average, could that make him a franchise player? Could a defensive star be a franchise player? Ron hasn't looked as motivated on defense in Sacramento as he did in Indiana, but if he stepped it up to DPOY levels again along with his stats in a good year (about 20 pts, 6 reb, 3 asts, 2 stl, 1 blk) is that a franchise player? I think it is provided he can take over a game with his defense, which he has shown he can do on occasion. But then the question with Ron is always how motivated is he? I don't think anyone, not even Ron himself, knows the answer to that.

I want Artest to stay because I think he does have good chemistry with a lot of our young players and I think he can be an All-Star and a franchise player with the talent he has. But if it's going to take moving to New York to actually get him motivated, than I hope he does get traded because I'm a basketball fan first and a Kings fan second and I like to see basketball players fulfilling their potential.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Before ya'll continue to go off on Grant just ask yourself "do have the guts to talk smack about Artest to his face?" - I sure as heck don't
Big difference, IMHO. If he won't talk smack to his face - and he does talk to him frequently - then should he really do it behind Artest's back? There's a reason Grant has been called Janus by a number of people.

;)

I guess you could characterize this as a conspiracy theory...

But maybe Artest is using a little psychology on Zeke. Let's say Artest really does want to play in New York this year AND he knows that Petrie won't give him up unless David Lee is involved (or maybe at least Balkman). He realizes that his hand may have been overplayed by his agent and brother by stating his desire to be a Knick. He also realizes that Isaiah is probably just thinking he's gonna wait out this season 'til Ron opts out afterwards.
SO to try to pull one over on Isaiah he decides to go the opposite way and say he wants to retire in Sac as a franchise player.
GENIUS! Not only does he try to boost his own value he tries to let Zeke think he'll never get him unless he makes a sweet enough offer to the Kings and Petrie.

IF I'm right and IF Ron (or his agent) are that devious this may work out in our favor after all.

Big difference, IMHO. If he won't talk smack to his face - and he does talk to him frequently - then should he really do it behind Artest's back? There's a reason Grant has been called Janus by a number of people.

;)
I have never heard a radio personality ever rip on a player while interviewing them despite what they say "behind their back".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How many "radio personalities" do you know who are wearing two hats, as in having their own show on the radio where they frequently rip on players and then turn around and act as though they're best of friends and have nothing but respect for those same players when they're doing a game-time broadcast?

My only real point is that Grant clearly tailors his comments to meet the circumstances, which leads me to believe you can't really believe anything he says.

Since, as Bricklayer pointed out, three NY papers had 3 different versions of what Petrie said, I choose to ignore them all. I will say, it is not at all like Petrie to flat-out say someone will not be traded. Petrie's comments are usually along the lines of so-and-so will be a King until he isn't.

As to Ron's value, his value is what someone will give us for him. Apparently so far, it's garbage. At least from the Knicks. I don't want GP to get nothing useful or worse, something harmful to the team's future for Artest. I'd rather he was gone, though.

;)
I completely get what you are saying. But you have to admit, getting into Ron's face about anything may just make you eligible for the annual Darwin Awards.

Last year came down to poor coaching leadership. Everyone was confused with there role, and it po'd more than just Ron. In separate radio interviews the past few days I've heard both Cisco and Martin give Artest glowing props as a teammate, friend and motivator.

Him and Bibby are tighter than the media makes, and it sounds like he communicates with Petrie. Now if Artest and Reggie make it work, what more do we need? The guy is our BEST player, and one of the best in the league at what he does. If he says he's happy here, so be it. He can help. Only if the right trade comes up do we step... as with anyone on the team. Have faith and let's have fun.