Artest interview on News10

Visit link for video interview: http://news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=17680

Artest Talks Kings, Coaching Shake-up, Music Career

Written for the web by Jason Kobely, Internet News Producer

After fueling a late-season surge that pushed the Sacramento Kings into the playoffs, Ron Artest said despite a disappointing playoff loss and the ouster of head coach Rick Adelman, Sacramento is a team to beat next season.

"This team can definitely win a championship," Artest said during an exclusive one-on-one interview with News10's Bryan May. "We've got to carry over what we did this season to next season, first day of training camp. We've got to be all business. I think we're one of the top five teams and we still had problems. I was injured a little bit, Bonzi was injured, Shareef was injured. So with that said, that kind of speaks for itself."

As for the Kings' 4-2 series defeat at the hands of the reigning NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, Artest said, "I think we beat San Antonio bad. We were the better team. We were better than San Antonio. They got a lot of breaks. We're the better team."

Artest said helping post a 26-14 record with his new club after being traded from Indiana in January, the Kings had plenty of obstacles to overcome in their first-round match-up with the Spurs.

"It started off bad," Artest said. "It started with the busted lip. That kind of took our momentum. I was swallowing blood the whole game and playing with my lip hanging off. Then I got the suspension. In Game 2, we almost win that game, then we win Games 3 and 4. In Game 5, we didn't play too well. At the end of the game, the defense was very suspect, if not horrible. In game 6, I twisted my ankle. We just didn't have a chance. We didn't have a chance to come out that series and we still won two games. That could have been us playing Dallas right now and winning if everything goes our way."

Artest said departed head coach Rick Adelman should not bare the full brunt of responsibility for the team's postseason disappointments. "I don't totally blame him for the loss," Artest said. "I blame the players too. Guys didn't give 100 percent."

"I think guys started to push themselves at the end. We've just got to do it on a more consistent basis. I've never won a championship, so I don't know what it is to win an NBA championship, but I'm guessing you've got to push yourself through the whole game."

When asked about the qualities he's looking for in the Kings' new leader, Artest suggested a coach who pushes players harder may be a step in the right direction.

"A couple times this year, I think players probably could have been pushed a little more," Artest said. "But some players have to take accountability for themselves. Being in the NBA, you make a lot of money and players, once they get that check, you don't have to do much after that. So it's going to be upon yourself to meet the coach halfway. I know (Joe and Gavin) want to win so I know they're going get the right coach."

Artest praised his four-month relationship with his former coach. "(Adelman) was good to me. He treated me with a lot of respect," Artest said. "He put a lot of pressure on me coming in here, which I enjoyed. Coming here and putting the ball in my hands, that was fun."

Copyright 2006 News10/KXTV. All Rights Reserved.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"I think guys started to push themselves at the end. We've just got to do it on a more consistent basis. I've never won a championship, so I don't know what it is to win an NBA championship, but I'm guessing you've got to push yourself through the whole game."
And that, fellow Kings fans, takes my breath away.

:D

We have truly found our WARRIOR KING.

W

West_Gunslinger16

Wow. I thought he will go insane with this interview. He formally accepted what was happening with the Kings right now. He was 'classier' than I thought he was.

Dare I say that Ron is becoming more 'normal' as he settles in here in our beloved city, as have a handful of other 'headcases'?? Is our city and organization really an anticeptic for suspect, or even criminal NBA players?? Wow...I think if Ron continues on his current constructive path, there really is some truth to that...he was the biggest black eye for the NBA in recent years, i.e: Palace Brawl, etc.

Twix said:
Artest said departed head coach Rick Adelman should not bare the full brunt of responsibility for the team's postseason disappointments. "I don't totally blame him for the loss," Artest said. "I blame the players too. Guys didn't give 100 percent."
I wonder if he's referring to a player or players that he has in mind or just thinking about the team as a whole.

Sounds like Ron might want Larry Brown. I'm not saying I do or don't but if he wants a coach that will push the players and squeeze the most out of them...

Twix said:
When asked about the qualities he's looking for in the Kings' new leader, Artest suggested a coach who pushes players harder may be a step in the right direction.
Get Larry Brown...

Our biggest concern with a guy like LB is how Bonzi and Ron would react. Ron just said that he wanted a coach that will push the guys harder. Nobody is more of a perfectionist than LB. I don't understand some of you guys, we're talking about perhaps the best X's and O's coach alive today and a guy with a proven track record.

Larry demands his players to play together and to leave it all out on the court. Two things that Bonzi and Ron happen to do very well. Why would he clash with the two of them if they already play exactly the way he demands his players to play? Because both of them have negative history? Sheed was considered a headcase before he got to Detroit and look how that turned out. Iverson and Marbury are different cause they hog the damn ball so damn much that obviously there was bound to be some friction. Anyone that follows the NBA could of seen that one coming from miles away.

Personnally, I'm more worried about Mike and Brad if LB does indeed become our coach for the reasons that I mentionned above. But I just don't understand how some of you guys don't want him here when he's, not only the best coach available, but perhaps the best coach period.

Last edited:
Ron wants a Coach who can poush the players to play harder. It's a fine line with this mentality, There is a tough balancing act if this is what he is looking for or what he thinks the players didn't have and need. There are alot of coaches out there that push there players maybe harder but at the same time they can alienate there players in the process. Ron is saying all of this because he feels he has some sort of control over the sitaution and who ever they bring into the organization as Head coach he feels will have to cater to him as a player.

If they are Bringing in a Respectable Voice, This individual will want some type of control over his system. What happens if Ron obtains a Coach that pushes him harder but at the same time doesn't Coach a style of Basketball system that fits Ron's Desires as a player:

downplaying his recent shooting slump -- declaring that bad shots he takes should be shrugged off as if "Kobe or Tim Duncan or Michael Jordan" took them

I'm so demanding of the ball. It's not my fault," he said. "Every time somebody is on me it's a mismatch. It messes up the offense. I like Coach (Carlisle) as a person, but I don't like playing for Coach. I like my team, though."
The Pacers run a structured offense in which Carlisle calls out most plays. That frustrates Artest, who has complained about the system in the past.

Artest seeks a system in which he can score more, which would lead to a bigger contract when his expires in 2008. He has a player option for $8.5 million for the 2008-09 season.
"Here I don't think I'm going to have a chance to maximize my opportunity for my potential," he said. "When I first got here, all I wanted to do was play defense. I never really cared about offense, but what I see is players like Kobe (Bryant), Tracy (McGrady), (Gilbert) Arenas and Jermaine (O'Neal) getting the opportunity to maximize their potential on the court and to get paid. I'm out of my character a little bit here.
"I don't think I'm going to maximize my opportunity just playing defense. I have to show I'm one of the premier players on offense on the wing. So when it's that time, there's no question what type of player I am."

What happens when if they get the new coach who pushes the players harder and at he same time this new coaches system is just as stiff as Rick carlisles structured system in Indiana or how tough zeek was on them in Indiana. If Ron said he wants to show case his Real Talents thene he had the perfect caoch to showcase those Guard skills that he wanted to display. I think Ron has a new voice that he is openong up to people, He has some leadership skills that he is Trying to let people knwo he may have had already, I think alot of his Freedom of Expression open up with adelman being the leader of the Team.

Whatever new guy coming in, If he is a old stiff then he may want to have control over the plays being called. He may want ron exclusively in the post and not out beyond the 3 point line shooting 5-10 Treys a Game, He may not allow Ron the practice of Bringing the ball up court to work on his point guard skills. The pusher may want his voice and his voice alone to be the vibration of the Team.

Then you may get a young pusher who may be inexperienced, But this guy may get more out of the Team than adelman, He maybe ready to lead the Team to the Championship. But will Bonzi repsond to the Rookie leader, Will the Veterans take advantage of the lack of exeprience that the young pusher doesn't have.

You must be careful with what you do in Bringing in a New leader. Offensively Ron won't have the Same freedom to create like Kobe bryant and Bonzi probably won't have the same mistake Freedom to do what Bonzi wells does best. You may get a Better pusher but you will lose other things at the same time.

chaps said:
Get Larry Brown...

Our biggest concern with a guy like LB is how Bonzi and Ron would react. Ron just said that he wanted a coach that will push the guys harder. Nobody is more of a perfectionist than LB. I don't understand some of you guys, we're talking about perhaps the best X's and O's coach alive today and a guy with a proven track record.

Larry demands his players to play together and to leave it all out on the court. Two things that Bonzi and Ron happen to do very well. Why would he clash with the two of them if they already play exactly the way he demands his players to play? Because both of them have negative history? Sheed was considered a headcase before he got to Detroit and look how that turned out. Iverson and Marbury are different cause they hog the damn ball so damn much that obviously there was bound to be some friction. Anyone that follows the NBA could of seen that one coming from miles away.

Personnally, I'm more worried about Mike and Brad if LB does indeed become our coach for the reasons that I mentionned above. But I just don't understand how some of you guys don't want him here when he's, not only the best coach available, but perhaps the best coach period.
Brown likes players who play "the right way". Artest is pretty much the one guy on this team who I think Brown would love to coach because he plays all out on every possesion and plays defense like a beast.

Artest was obviously great for the Kings down the stretch. But everyone seems to be ignoring the "We were better than San Antonio" stuff. That's just crazy talk. You have to like the confidence, but there is no reality where the Kings were better than the Spurs. Still, I appreciate his attitude and hope it rubs off on some of the other players.

NewMonkey said:
Artest was obviously great for the Kings down the stretch. But everyone seems to be ignoring the "We were better than San Antonio" stuff. That's just crazy talk. You have to like the confidence, but there is no reality where the Kings were better than the Spurs. Still, I appreciate his attitude and hope it rubs off on some of the other players.
The Kings lost that series but the Spurs are not overwhelmingly better than the Kings.

It's not crazy talk for Ron to say that the Kings were better. When he was suspended for the game the Kings should have won (game 2) and the series could have been completely different. So I guess my point is that it's not "crazy talk". My opinion of course.

Ginobili smacking Artest in the mouth on the first play of the first game may have ultimately given San Antonio the series-win over Sacramento. If Artest had not be suspended, the series might have been different. It was a calculated cheap shot, and unfortunately it worked.

Ron Artest is not crazy! He has been pretty darn immature in the past, but I think he has has finally grown up. I think that I undertstand this guy, and IMHO he will be fine. Most of you probably had relatively stable and functioning families. He had family issues as a child, including poverty. I do not anticipate any major blow-ups because I believe that he is too intelligent for that.

Last edited:
quick dog said:
Ginobili smacking Artest in the mouth on the first play of the first game may have ultimately given San Antonio the series-win over Sacramento. If Artest had not be suspended, the series might have been different. It was a calculated cheap shot, and unfortunately it worked.

Ron Artest is not crazy! He has been pretty darn immature in the past, but I think he has has finally grown up. I think that I undertstand this guy, and IMHO he will be fine. Most of you probably had real fathers and relatively stable and functioning families. He had severe family issues as a child, including abject poverty. I do not anticipate any major blow-ups because I believe that he is too intelligent for that.
He didn't have it that hard, He had common issues that I think everyone goes through even if you are not from the Ghetto. His father was an Agressive figure in the house hold, But he worked and so did his mother.They just lived in the projects, He had a father that put him into sports and taught him about competiton, His father was a Boxer he had ron and his brothers around sports and helped them with this Growth. Ron was a hyper active Child who took redlin to control his hyper activity. his parents had their own personel issues that may had a little to with Ron's personality but some of it was Ron being Ron, But they took care of their kids.

chaps said:
Get Larry Brown...

My sentiments exactly. You have to take chances to win, I don't understand why Petrie doesn't think it's worth the risk.

The guy is maybe the best coach in the league, why not take a chance, get rid of Brad, get a few shotblocking rebounders, and see what happens?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why not take a chance?

The last two teams that have taken a chance on Larry Brown have had to pay dearly to get rid of him...

Detroit bought out his contract at a cost of $11 million. Now, it appears New York may have to pay some $40 million to get rid of him.

That's $51 million. FIFTY-ONE MILLION DOLLARS just to fire somebody.

Brown isn't going to come for a one- or two-year deal. That's not his style. So, they'd have to sign him to a multi-year contract. Then, when he does what Larry always does, they'd have to buy him out. Do you really think this time would be different? Brown wanted NY more than anything in the world and he screwed it up so badly they're willing to pay $40 million to get rid of him.

That's not recoverable. That's money gone forever.

The question isn't why Petrie doesn't think it's worth the risk. The real question is how can some people look past the financial?

VF21 said:
Why not take a chance?

The last two teams that have taken a chance on Larry Brown have had to pay dearly to get rid of him...

Detroit bought out his contract at a cost of $11 million. Now, it appears New York may have to pay some $40 million to get rid of him.

Brown isn't going to come for a one- or two-year deal. That's not his style. So, they'd have to sign him to a multi-year contract. Then, when he does what Larry always does, they'd have to buy him out. Do you really think this time would be different? Brown wanted NY more than anything in the world and he screwed it up so badly they're willing to pay $40 million to get rid of him.

The question isn't why Petrie doesn't think it's worth the risk. The real question is how can some people look past the financial?

Great point. If we are willing to spend that kind of money then we should throw it at a cheaper coach and say a player like KG. ;)

VF21 said:
Why not take a chance?

First, why do you think that it's all LB's fault for what happened in NY? Isiah Thomas is the worst executive in the NBA. He actually managed to do a worse job than Scott Layden. Has Marbury ever gotten along with anyone? Look at the track records of both Marbury and Isiah, I think there's alot more blame to pass around in NY.

Secondly, Detroit got rewarded with a championship where LB clearly outcoached Phil Jackson. He is the best X's and O's coach available who could push this team over the top.

Let me ask you something; were you in favor of the Artest trade?

Alot of the same people who were against taking that risk have now become huge Artest fans. I don't think Petrie was in favor of the trade, I think it was done by the Maloofs.

You have to take risks to win. I think LB would get along with Bonzi and Artest since both players will go all out and give 100% every night.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're entitled to your opinion. I happen to disagree. Some risks aren't worth taking.

And just as an aside? The idea that Larry Brown would even entertain an invitation to come to Sacramento is pretty far fetched. He's no more interested in that than Phil Jackson was. Sacramento is way too small for Mr. Brown and his tremendous ego.

Last edited:
One more point for whoever cares; it's the Maloofs' money, it's not coming out of our pockets. If they're willing to spend more money to give this team a better chance to win, then that's all the better! Then know what it would cost for LB, it would just be a question of whether or not a possible championship is worth the $.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, that's rich. You're saying it's fine for them to throw money at Larry Brown but where do you think that money is coming from? They aren't a bottomless pit of funds. If they spend all of that and THEN have to buy out his contract, that's money that won't go towards players, towards the possible arena, etc.

Yes, it's the Maloofs money and they aren't going to waste it when they're trying to rebuild a team that will compete at the highest level. And yes, they know what it would cost for LB and it's been said pretty plain that they aren't interested. Do you need it to be written in the sky?

VF21 said:
Oh, that's rich. You're saying it's fine for them to throw money at Larry Brown but where do you think that money is coming from? They aren't a bottomless pit of funds. If they spend all of that and THEN have to buy out his contract, that's money that won't go towards players, towards the possible arena, etc.

Yes, it's the Maloofs money and they aren't going to waste it when they're trying to rebuild a team that will compete at the highest level. And yes, they know what it would cost for LB and it's been said pretty plain that they aren't interested. Do you need it to be written in the sky?

I thought you agreed to disagree. I thought I was entitled to my opinion without it being shoved down my throat.

I said it depends on how much the Maloofs want to win. Don't give me the poor argument. Do you have any idea how much $ they actually have? They obviously cared enough to force the Peja for Artest trade. Think of all the excess $ they'd get from all the extra Conference Final and NBA Finals games. That's also increased merchandise and more public support for the arena.

Think of what a force Artest and Bonzi could be playing under LB, along with getting Bibby to consistenly play D like he did in the World Basketball Championships. Think of the Kings winning the championship.

You never answered my questions about who's really to blame in NY. Isiah and Marbury certainly can't go w/o blame. Also, Detroit still seems to be a pretty good situation after LB left, even after buying out his contract.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Who's to blame in New York? I have no idea. I'm not there. I don't watch all the games. I do have some strong suspicions. I think there's more than enough blame to go around. Bottom line, however, is they're gonna pay massively to get rid of one of the problems.

As far as how much $$ the Maloofs actually have, if you want to think they'd spend that kind of money that's fine. I disagree. It isn't about the "force Artest and Bonzi" MIGHT be under the leadership of Larry Brown. There's a lot more to it.

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion. YOu refuted mine so why can't I refute yours? My arguments are every bit as persuasive.

You think it depends on how much the Maloofs want to win. Why? Does Larry Brown come with an iron-clad guarantee?

I didn't say the Maloofs were poor. What I was saying is they're not stupid and they're not going to look at Brown's recent past without considering the potential hit they could take if the same thing happened again. That's financial planning.

Conference finals? NBA finals? Again, NO GUARANTEES!!!!

Have a nice day.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BK_KingsFan7 said:
As good as Larry Brown has been, he ALWAYS wears out his welcome wherever he goes.
And, bottom line, do you - someone from New York - honestly see Larry Brown coming to Sacramento, one of the smallest markets in the league? The culture shock alone would kill him IMHO.