Arena (Opponents) Lies

At the top of the 6:00PM news, FOX 40 reported on the lies being told by STOP's signature collectors. Watch the video to find out what they are telling people in order to get their signatures.

After watching the report, how does this make you feel?

Last edited by a moderator:
If they really have HALF the signatures they require and still have until December to gather the rest, then it's a foregone conclusion that they'll get the rest.

My question/concern is, Can their signatures be invalidated on the premise that they obtained many of them under false pretenses? They even have some video to prove it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If they really have HALF the signatures they require and still have until December to gather the rest, then it's a foregone conclusion that they'll get the rest.

My question/concern is, Can their signatures be invalidated on the premise that they obtained many of them under false pretenses? They even have some video to prove it.
They certainly can be challenged.

I hope and assume that they are just taking STOP's word for how many signatures they have

Michael McCann ‏@McCannSportsLaw 11h

@briannadler @CarmichaelDave CA crim law: can't misrepresent petition's purpose/content to potential petition signers http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot-measures/initiative-guide.htm

@sackingsfan82 @briannadler @CarmichaelDave It's a misdemeanor offense, so probably a fine, but more importantly would invalidate petition

Michael McCann ‏@McCannSportsLaw 10h

@sackingsfan82 @briannadler @CarmichaelDave Yes since signatures would be for a petition that could have no effect. Would need new petition.

Mike, after watching the report, is this an indication that arena proponents are a little concerned that the STOP signature gathering is making progress? Or is it more getting ahead of the situation before it is too late.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mike, after watching the report, is this an indication that arena proponents are a little concerned that the STOP signature gathering is making progress? Or is it more getting ahead of the situation before it is too late.
From what Mike has posted in other areas and via CrownDowntown, I think it's mainly that the STOP people are lying to the public in a lot of different areas. If they're going to be out there talking about the arena, they need to be held accountable for what they or their hired signature gatherers are saying.

@briannadler @CarmichaelDave CA crim law: can't misrepresent petition's purpose/content to potential petition signers http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot-measures/initiative-guide.htm

@sackingsfan82 @briannadler @CarmichaelDave It's a misdemeanor offense, so probably a fine, but more importantly would invalidate petition

Michael McCann ‏@McCannSportsLaw 10h

@sackingsfan82 @briannadler @CarmichaelDave Yes since signatures would be for a petition that could have no effect. Would need new petition.

Good, maybe this puts all their efforts to waste because there is now proof that they most likely gained at least some of those signatures under false pretenses.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Recently a signature gatherer was caught in a lie and she didn't know it was a lie as it was what she was told to say. This was a different political matter. That could be the case here. In my highly biased mind, it now comes down to the STOP folks to prove they aren't gathering ALL signatures with lies. In other words all the signatures should be thrown out and I will bet lawyers are preparing the lawsuit right now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Recently a signature gatherer was caught in a lie and she didn't know it was a lie as it was what she was told to say. This was a different political matter. That could be the case here. In my highly biased mind, it now comes down to the STOP folks to prove they aren't gathering ALL signatures with lies. In other words all the signatures should be thrown out and I will bet lawyers are preparing the lawsuit right now.
If any of the signatures were obtained under false premises, then all the signatures have to be tossed. Kind of a "fruit from the poisoned tree" thing.

This is the problem with paying the gatherers $1.75 a signature. They don't care if they are telling the truth or not. They care about getting paid. In most cases, they aren't too concerned with them getting tossed later. But this time they are making an incorrect assumption.

I think they are going to let them see if they can get a qualifying number. Let them use up time in that effort and see if they can trip on their own. If they do gather enough numbers, then they can check signatures and take any legal action.

I gotta say, I am encouraged that the lying, deceitful tactics of STOP are being exposed in the mainstream local media. It is cool to see that their methods are not just getting the attention of us pro-arena types. And, when contacted, they are hiding from the media, and dodging all pertinent questions. I like that.