Another Marcos Breton article about the Monarchs

I read this and thought "Get over it". Most women's sports events get pre-empted or no coverage at all, so oh well. Yes soccer is the world's most popular sport, but again, oh well. While I'd actually rather ch 10 broadcast an away game that I wouldn't be able to see, I'm glad they are at least showing a game. We know Breton is a, well, uh...we know what he is, so regardless of what was being televised he would have bashed it. However, since it's the hated Monarchs, he goes way over. So, build a bridge, and get over it......

I'm so tired of this man. If people want to watch the game live there are plenty of places to go to do so where the establishments will have access to other channels covering the match.

Since this is a local broadcast, only local Sacramento viewers will be affected so its not like its some big conspiracy against soccer. I could live with News10 not broadcasting the Monarchs game live, I could live with them not broadcasting this game altogether. But the fact of the matter is they are, and Marcos needs to get over it.

I don't think I've ever seen a guy be so bitter about everything the Monarchs do at the expense of whatever else he thinks should be given as much or more due. I mean damn.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Breton is an embarrassment to anyone with a brain. His rants are racist, sexist, and just plain ignorant. And anyone who knows me knows I don't use those terms very often.

The only downside to posting a link to his story is that people will go and read it and the powers that be will simply see the bottom line. His drivel gets views.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's sexist when it's coming from Marcos Breton, who takes EVERY opportunity to dump on the Monarchs. He dumped on them during the WNBA championships, too...

This is the MONARCHS forum. If you're here because you want to talk about the WNBA with other Monarchs fans, fine. If not, please make your world cup soccer comments in the GENERAL forum. Thanks...

I think Marcos wants everybody to fall into the "sexist" trap when he rails against the Monarchs. That way he can beat it down as being irrational as a criticism of him. I think that's the weakest thing to throw at him and he's very effective at tossing those arguments back at his critics and picking up supporters along the way.

I also agree with the take that he isn't sexist because of his adversity to the Monarchs. There are plenty of other things he hates that aren't related to gender that I don't agree with and the Monarchs just happen to be one of them. My biggest criticism of him is his hypocrisy and his opportunistic-ness when it comes to evoking them for the sake of his point of view on anything. He knows he can reach back and grab them as a topic and lit some sort of passion on both sides of the argument.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Marcos wants everybody to fall into the "sexist" trap when he rails against the Monarchs. That way he can beat it down as being irrational as a criticism of him. I think that's the weakest thing to throw at him and he's very effective at tossing those arguments back at his critics and picking up supporters along the way.

I also agree with the take that he isn't sexist because of his adversity to the Monarchs. There are plenty of other things he hates that aren't related to gender that I don't agree with and the Monarchs just happen to be one of them. My biggest criticism of him is his hypocrisy and his opportunistic-ness when it comes to evoking them for the sake of his point of view on anything. He knows he can reach back and grab them as a topic and lit some sort of passion on both sides of the argument.
I respectfully disagree. He may want people to fall into the trap, but that doesn't mean he's not - in fact - sexist. I have yet to see him give the Monarchs OR any other female sports team any kind of credit or positive comments. Yes, he's a hypocrite and yes he's an opportunist, but that doesn't mean he's not basically a misogynist. He's just not quite as blatant about it as he could be IMHO.

I don't think he's required to give female sports any credit or positive comments. It's not something he cares about as passionately as he cares about other things if at all. To me, he doesn't have to.

My problem with Marcos is, that the first time I saw him write about the Monarchs was when they got bounced from the WCF in 2003. He essentially called DeMya and the fans "whiners" because we took issue with a call that went against the Monarchs in the waning minutes of game 3 and the fact that the Sparks had distributed flyers before that game announcing the sale of tickets for the Finals. He defended the Sparks' distribution of those flyers out of his own ignorance of how most teams would have handled making an announcement in arena should their team advance to the next round. He also defended his criticism of the players and fans reaction because he thought we all were "better than that" Meaning better than the Kings fans who he felt continually find something to whine about when it relates to playing a team from LA in the playoffs. He came on Monarchs Talk the night his column was published to explain himself and to claim that he actually likes the Monarchs and that was the perspective he wrote from. He seemed to actually want to take a stab at Kings fans and the mindset of Maloof Sports and Entertainment and he used the Monarchs' or more specifically some comments from DeMya to do it. I don't recall any fans or DeMya for that matter whining about anything.

Flash forward two years later, he's not railing against the Monarchs existence, he's railing against whether or not the league had earned enough bennies to warrant the coverage it got. Valid question - the timing however was a little suspect because it gave him a bigger stage on which to ask it. That's what I thought should have been debated with him -why it should. he framed the argument as a set up for him to be argued as sexist and that's where the slant of the letters - at least the ones I read that were published - went. And then the argument got framed should the W exist, which wasn't where he was going with his take.

He doesn't write about the Monarchs enough for me to weigh whether or not he is generally sexist or not. I just get tired of him using them to get a rise out of people.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll gladly to defer to you, MBF, because you're much more familiar with this than I.

If I have mislabeled him a sexist, I would apologize. I'm not sure the label is incorrect, however. I do think that if someone is writing a sports column for a daily newspaper like the Sacramento Bee they should be able to acknowledge that there are women in sports in Sacramento and that they do have contributions to make. He does neither, for the most part.

Bottom line for me is that I do not like him, I do not like his writings and I am very glad I do not have to deal with him on a daily basis.

:)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I've read enough of Bretón to have gotten the sense that he is indeed sexist. Personally, there's not a doubt in my mind that he's a misogynist, but since he allegedly purports himself to be a Monarchs fan, I guess that if you want to take his claims that he "really does" like the Monarchs at face value, you could allow yourself to believe that he's not really sexist... as long as you only care about the WNBA, and disregard his opinion of other women's sports.

I think that it takes both a profound ability and a predisposition to always want to find the good in people in order to look at someone who looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and then believe him when he insists that he's not a duck.

I, of course, am not in the business of trying to find the good in people... :mad:

Last edited:
I don't take any thing he writes at face value. Which is why I wrote him after his first column and after his inteview on Monarchs Talk. He's not a Monarchs fan or a WNBA fan, and I noted in my post that he made the "claim" that he was. The guy doesn't follow the Monarchs any more than I follow tiddlywinks. He happened to watch game 3 on TV instead of going to cover a local kid making his major league debut in Oakland and it was that fateful choice that lead to his column in the first place.

The guy has no obligation (nor do I) to follow, like or positively cover women's sports, men's sports or anything. He's a columnist. He knows he can reach back and tap into the vein of those who follow or hate something he rails against to incite something. He acknowledges that, and actually did so on his Monarchs Talk interview.

Also said, I haven't read much from him about the Monarchs that would lead me to say he is sexist. I read him occasionally and find that painfully sometimes I do agree with him. I'm no expert on his personal beliefs, so he may very well be sexist. But, as I mentioned previously what he's written about the Monarchs is not sexist IMO and arguing with him solely that he's sexist does not touch on more salient arguments one can have about what he has written.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The guy has no obligation... to follow, like or positively cover women's sports, men's sports or anything. He's a columnist.
Not completely true, MBF. He's not a columnist, he's a sports columnist for the Sacramento Bee, and as such he is REQUIRED to have enough basic knowledge of sports in Sacramento to be able to write a column about a particular sport if his editor so dictates. So, although he's not obligated to be a fan - or even to like women's sports - he does have to have at least a passing knowledge of them.

Well, like I said before, that's all fine and well... as long as you only care about/pay attention to the Monarchs. :mad:
Which I don't think is a fair characterization of me or anybody else who doesn't think arguing "sexism" re: Breton's takes is the strongest arrow to fire at him from the quill but ok...if that's where you want to take what I've said...

I've read him being insightful on other things which if he were sexist/mysogynistic he would not have written about in the manner he did, I do happen to agree with some of his perspectives as well. If that taints me, sorry.

I don't like what he writes about the Monarchs in particular because he writes from a very shallow knowledge base and uses them to argue about other things. He obviously doesn't care for/about the W, so don't a lot of people - women included. So I don't think the sexism argument is very strong in fact its not effective and my whole point was that he wants that to be the argument because it doesn't call him on the carpet for being ignorant about the subject on which he is writing. Never said he wasnt. He very well could be - although, based on a couple of columns I have in mind in particular I don't get the sense that he is (see: column following Swoopes' coming out and recent column re: women pole vaulters in the collegiate Track and Field Chamionships here recently).

But I don't know the guy and how he conducts himself in his personal life and how he relates to women in general. And that's what I stated before. If I was supposed to draw on other columns he's written about other things related to women and bring that into the thread as evidence that I care about something other than the Monarchs...I never intended to because that's not what I was discussing nor did I feel I needed to justify my opinion about a Monarchs related thread.

Last edited:
Just a quick post to let you all know I e-mailed MB on the world cup issue.
This is my response at the bottom...his at the top.

Mary - Thanks for writing. I do think News 10 made the right decision and I felt much better about them - and the Monarchs afterward. I watched the Monarchs game after the soccer game and have been following them since. I wouldn't call myself a fan yet, but I'm a lot further along than I used to be. Take care

Marcos Breton
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 4:07 PM
To: Marcos Breton
Subject:

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? As much as I love USA sports not everyone is into soccer, just like not every sports fan likes the WNBA. my hispanic friends at work watch the World Cup everyday during breaks & lunch on the spanish station. That does'nt stop the non-spanish speaking fans from enjoying the match as well. They say only us americans say Soccer,,,to the rest of the world it's football.
I will be at the Monarchs game on Sat. as for team USA...Good luck....GO MONARCHS & TEAM USA!
NothinButHoops

Thanks for sharing that NBH....I still don't buy that he's further along than he used to be. I might buy that he might have watched the game afterwards and that he feels better about News10 and the Monarchs' front office.

I give him credit to replying to my e-mails...he must care that folks want to read his articles..after all it keeps him working. I agree he's not a fan of the WNBA. Maybe he'll surprise us one day!