Alvin Gentry, Clippers former head coach to join the Kings as an assistant.

I think this is good news. Gentry will give Walton a strong #2 to help coach this team.

Considering Gentry is 65 years old, he doesn't pose the same threat as a young, up and coming coaching threat to Walton, as a long term replacement. But he does offer a saftey net, just in case.

Gentry's experience should really help the Kings navigate the season. Plus, coming from the same GSW system, they should be familiar with each other and help with the meshing of coaching.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Big shot of NBA knowledge and experience for the whole organization. Plus - Gentry May be able to reach players in a way that others can’t - lots of experience with “problem” players.
Maybe but I can't see how Luke Walton can't reach players. He has the demeanor of a players coach through and through. The issue here is more than one player has seen through the shadow puppet show he's been putting on. We just have to hope now what was already seen by the players can be unseen. They looked behind the curtain and there's nothing there. At least now there's someone who appears to have something back there.

We now have half or the GSW coaches (2 of 4, minus Steve Kerr and Ron Adams) from their championship run of 2014-15 season.

Steve Kerr has always given much credit to Luke and the assistant coaches during the GSW championship runs. I'm hoping Gentry can help Luke figure this thing out and get the Kings into the playoffs. IMHO, having a respected and experienced #2 to help lead this team will only help.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Biggest issue on the court this past season (injuries and locker room grumbling aside) was the bewildering offensive system the team never learned to execute efficiently. Alvin Gentry's reputation is that he's an offensive guru so if we are sticking with Luke no matter what (for now) bringing in Alvin Gentry to juice up the offense looks like a good call on paper.

Biggest issue on the court this past season (injuries and locker room grumbling aside) was the bewildering offensive system the team never learned to execute efficiently. Alvin Gentry's reputation is that he's an offensive guru so if we are sticking with Luke no matter what (for now) bringing in Alvin Gentry to juice up the offense looks like a good call on paper.
It does seem to offer Luke the best chance to succeed plus give us an emergency backup if we hit the eject switch without having to over commit to a new coach in what is certainly another rebuilding year.

It might be his reputation but as someone who followed the Pelicans pretty closely when they had AD and Tyreke I can tell you to better not get your hopes up.

Edit: forgot that a large part of that was Monty Williams, but still over a year or so with Gentry

Last edited:
I view him more like the backstop that will keep us from jogging a mile to chase down a wild pitch than a home run.
Yeah I mean sure he's a capable back up ... I just don't think hiring Alvin Gentry suddenly fixes any of our problems or even puts us on the path to success.

Agreed. That's all i care about right now

Our "Offense" was as awful as anything else.

Kangz move. Calling it now.

Most the way through the season, the Kings will fire Walton. Gentry will step in to replace him. Team will finish the season 10-6 under Gentry. Gentry will get resigned to a 2 year deal. Kings will then fail miserably under Gentry and the Kangz circle of life will start all over again.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer

Most the way through the season, the Kings will fire Walton. Gentry will step in to replace him. Team will finish the season 10-6 under Gentry. Gentry will get resigned to a 2 year deal. Kings will then fail miserably under Gentry and the Kangz circle of life will start all over again.
You left out the part where we trade Buddy to some random team like the Thunder and he comes back and scores 82 points against us and sets a record for most made threes in a game because of course he will. Also, we won't know how to feel about it because losing that game helps us move up 2 places in the lottery. And then we win the coin flip over Indiana only to fall 3 spots back and "just miss" the top tier of prospects yet again. Oh the Kangz-manity! :D

Lol, and then the Kings will hire Mike Brown as a HC since they can't quit the love for GS assistants

gunks

Hall of Famer

Seems about right.

gunks

Hall of Famer
You left out the part where we trade Buddy to some random team like the Thunder and he comes back and scores 82 points against us and sets a record for most made threes in a game because of course he will. Also, we won't know how to feel about it because losing that game helps us move up 2 places in the lottery. And then we win the coin flip over Indiana only to fall 3 spots back and "just miss" the top tier of prospects yet again. Oh the Kangz-manity! :D
You crazy.

Buddy only drops 60 on us.

Or we win the lottery and proceed to draft Anthony Bennett because he can jump really fast. We sign Rajon Rondo to a $15MM contract with a second-year team option to mentor Fox who still hasn't been to the playoffs and also trade for Rudy Gay while re-signing broken DeMarcus Cousins in hopes of revitalizing the franchise with some nostalgia. George Karl releases a second book.

It might be his reputation but as someone who followed the Pelicans pretty closely when they had AD and Tyreke I can tell you to better not get your hopes up.

Edit: forgot that a large part of that was Monty Williams, but still over a year or so with Gentry
Gentry has always been at his best when simply being in charge of the offence. When he has been the HC he had always had problems.

dude12

Hall of Famer
It may have been brought up already but I see that Joerger is now with Philadelphia as Rivers assistant. Interesting we get Gentry and they get Joerger.. wonder how Buddy views that.
Great job pointing that out. Hadn’t thought about that. To be a fly on Buddy’s wall when that news broke with Joerger.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Buddy was never going to Philly anyway. We hold the cards either way and they have nothing we would actually want or be able to acquire
Pretty much the only assets on that team we'd want to acquire are the guys that are now probably untouchable (I have a feeling Doc and Joerger are going to use Thybulle extensively and the Sixers aren't hiring Doc and Dave to lead a rebuilding process so their two stars are off the table)

Pretty much the only assets on that team we'd want to acquire are the guys that are now probably untouchable (I have a feeling Doc and Joerger are going to use Thybulle extensively and the Sixers aren't hiring Doc and Dave to lead a rebuilding process so their two stars are off the table)
If Thybulle is not part of the equation, I’d rather look towards Atlanta and some package around their 6th pick.

Thybulle plays the role of Tony Allen "Grindfather" for that teams defense going forward IMO.