Alphabet Movie Draft Playoffs - Round 1

Who's list of movies make the COVID cave movie vault for you?

• Sluggah and Jack Jack

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Sluggah and foxfire

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • bajaden and Jack Jack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bajaden and foxfire

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
5. Sluggah
1. A =
Alien
2. B = The Breakfast Club
3. C = Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. D =
Drive
5. E = Easy A
6. F = A Few Good Men
7. G = The Goonies
8. H = Home Alone
9. I = Interstellar
10. J = JoJo Rabbit
11. K = Kill Bill Vol. 1
12. L =
Lethal Weapon
13. M = Miller's Crossing
14. N = The Nice Guys
15. O = Out of Sight
16. P = Predator
17. Q = Quigley Down Under
18. R = Romancing the Stone
19. S =
The Social Network
20. T = Titanic
Bonus Round!
21. U =
The Untouchables
22. V = Valkyrie
23. W = Whiplash
24. X = X2: X-Men United
25. Y = You Can Count on Me
26. Z = Zero Effect
27. # = 3:10 to Yuma
Bonus Bonus Round - Anything Goes
28. A =
Almost Famous
29. B = Beverly Hills Cop
30. C = Clue

v

12. bajaden
1. A =
2. B = A Beautiful Mind
3. C = Chinatown
4. D = Deadpool
5. E = Eastern Promises
6. F = Five Easy Pieces
7. G = Gone Girl
8. H = Hostiles
9. I = Interview with the Vampire
10. J = Jersey Boys
11. K = The Killing Fields
12. L =
Last of the Dogmen
13. M = Midnight Express
14. N = No Way Out
15. O = The Outlaw Josey Wales
16. P = The Pelican Brief
17. Q = Quick Change
18. R =
Rush
19. S = Scent of a Woman
20. T = Tears of the Sun
Bonus Round!
21. U =
Used Cars
22. V = Valley of the Saints
23. W = White Men Can't Jump
24. X = XIII the Conspiracy
25. Y = The Year of Living Dangerously
26. Z = The Mask of Zorro
27. # = The 13th Warrior
28. B =
The Bridge on the River Kwai
29. D = Dead Calm
30. G = The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Last edited:
6. Jack Jack
1. # =
3 Ninjas
2. A = Avengers: Endgame
3. B = Batman Begins
4. C = City Slickers
5. D = Doctor Strange
6. E = Edward Scissorhands
7. F = Fly Away Home
8. G = The Great Race
9. H = Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
10. I = Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
11. J = Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
12. K=
Kick Ass
13. L = The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition
14. M = Mystery Men
15. N = The Neverending Story
16. O = The Outsiders
17. P = The Party
18. Q = Quiz Show
19. R = Raising Arizona
20. S = Serenity
Bonus Round!
21. T =
Contact
22. U = UHF
23. V = Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
24. W =
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
25. X = XXX
26. Y = How to Train Your Dragon
27. Z = Zathura: A Space Adventure
28. S =
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
29. M = Les Miserables
30. C = The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

v

11. foxfire
1. G =
Gattaca
2. M = Monty Python and the Holy Grail
3. O = Ocean’s 11
4. S =
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
5. R = Robin Hood: Men in Tights
6. B = Braveheart
7. A = Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
8. D = Dumb and Dumber
9. # = 127 Hours
10. I = I Am Sam
11. H = Happy Gilmore
12. K =
King Kong
13. L = Labyrinth
14. P = Pure Luck
15. E = Enter the Dragon
16. W = Willow
17. T = Tommy Boy
18. C =
Captain Ron
19. J = The Jerk
20. U = Undercover Blues
Bonus Round!
21. N =
Watchmen
22. Y = The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
23. X = The X-Files
24. F = Fool's Gold
25. V = Virtuosity
26. Z = Twilight Zone: The Movie
27. Q = John Q
28. H =
The Hobbit
29. F = The Flight of Dragons
30. L = The Last Unicorn

Last edited:
This poll will close in 7 days
Friday 9/25 at 3:45 PM PST

Everyone can vote for these playoff match-ups (even if you didn't participate in the draft). Don't be shy!

Feel free to back-up your rationale here.

Yikes. I just now realized that the movies are linked to the original posts. Very nice.

Unfortunately this was after I wasted time manually verifying that the King Kong listed by foxfire is the original and the Ocean’s 11 is the remake.

:D

I'm suspecting all of these match-ups are going to be a challenge for me. There's not a single list posted with which I'd be supremely disappointed to spend a few months of quarantine.

Baja's list epitomizes what this game is all about. "Hey, you like movies? You got some free time? Here's a list of 10 or so you haven't seen that you should absolutely check out. Get back to me when you're done before you start calling yourself a cinephile."

Yes sir. I know when I've been schooled.

And the ones I have seen I mostly either really like: Rush, The 13th Warrior (way unfairly maligned), A Beautiful Mind, Deadpool or legitimately appreciate and admire: Chinatown, The Bridge on the River Kwai, White Men Can't Jump, Scent of a Woman, The Outlaw Josey Wales. There's a real "old-school cool" vibe and synergy to Baja's list - supremely well acted, understated and exquisite cinematography, and a tantalizing hint of punk rock rebellion. I am very nearly talking myself into voting for him, even though I haven't seen more than half his list, and he doesn't have a movie I truly love.

Sluggah however does have at least one movie I truly love: Out of Sight. Combine that with a series of films I really like: Easy A, A Few Good Men, JoJo Rabbit, The Goonies, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Almost Famous, Clue (sneaky good last pick there by the way), a pair I admire: Alien, The Social Network, and two that made my top ten post-draft must watch list: The Nice Guys, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and I have to give the nod to Sluggah

... Even though I'll probably be rooting around Baja's list for quite a while in the immediate future.

As for the Battle of the Brothers, I really think JackJack has a higher amount of films I'd have fun with: Endgame, Batman Begins, City Slickers, The Last Crusade, Jumanji (w/ The Rock), Kick Ass, The Fellowship of the Ring, Serenity, the Empire Strikes Back (nabbed in the penultimate round of double overtime!) and I think I ranked this list higher due to having the list I thought was more enjoyable as a whole.

... but

foxfire has two of my personal top ten films: Ocean's Eleven and Watchmen. Plus four I like well enough: Braveheart, Gattaca, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Happy Gilmore, (yes, this is one of the few times I slum it with Adam Sandler) to not feel it's a two v. thirty decision. foxfire gets my vote.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Baja's list epitomizes what this game is all about. "Hey, you like movies? You got some free time? Here's a list of 10 or so you haven't seen that you should absolutely check out. Get back to me when you're done before you start calling yourself a cinephile."

I'll probably be rooting around Baja's list for quite a while in the immediate future.

As for the Battle of the Brothers, I really think JackJack has a higher amount of films I'd have fun with
I voted for Sluggah and JackJack.

In looking at bajaden's list I haven't seen all that many but most are intriguing. So, like you, the above kind of hits my feeling about his list. I have no less than 19 of his movies highlighted to check out at some point when I can. But I can't say that it is a better list for me until I check out some more of his list, as I've seen only about 1/4 of it, and some don't jump out at me as something I'm overly excited to go watch. Sluggah has well over half a dozen movies I would definitely see at home on my list, plus a bunch of others that are good flicks as well. He got the nod.

And what you put above for JackJack also hits home. There were more consistently movies that I would enjoy watching. That's the reason I had his list higher than foxfire.

It is tough to chose between my children, but I did rank Jack Jack's list higher. I feel that foxfire chose some very strong movies to start the draft, but fell into a habit of picking trivial comedies. Jack Jack took some kid movies that he may grow out of, but also took some timeless treasures I'm sure he will enjoy for many more years to come.

I chose Sluggah over bajaden as she took several of his choices right out from under him. I enjoy Alien, The Breakfast Club, A Few Good Men, The Goonies, Home Alone, Interstellar, Lethal Weapon, Predator, Romancing the Stone, The Social Network, X2, 3:10 to Yuma, Almost Famous, Beverly Hills Cop and Clue. I have not seen Quigley Down Under, but that was a nice Q selection. Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the Untouchables are classics I have yet to see, but they are decorated and celebrated. Drive, Easy A, Miller's Crossing, and the Nice Guys are also on my first viewing watch list.

I am also quite fond of several of bajaden's choices: Scent of a Woman, Avatar, Interview with the Vampire, Chinatown, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, White Men Can't Jump, the Mask of Zorro, and the 13th Warrior. Last of the Dogmen looks very, very intriguing! Nice lists to you both. These were tough choices.

I love baja's list but I think Clue pushed me over the top. I'm sorry, I just have a ridiculous thing for that movie. Well done both of you!