Ailene Voisin: Ostertag can redeem himself in the playoffs

Yes...It's possible...but I doubt it.

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

Ailene Voisin: Ostertag can redeem himself in the playoffs

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Greg Ostertag has been a one-man, one-year bust. He admits as much. First he was out of shape. Then he was out of shape and injured. Then he was healthy, still out of shape and still anchored to the Kings bench.

But this is no time to place a tag on his big toe. The Kings need his size and his defense, and will need his very large presence for the playoffs.

Given the lack of frontcourt bulk and brawn - not to mention healthy 7-footers - Ostertag should receive substantial playing time against the Seattle SuperSonics, a club that features a plateful of beefy players who earn a living throwing their weight around. Reggie Evans averages 9.4 rebounds per game. Danny Fortson delivers elbows and low blows with ferocity. Even one-time Kings project Jerome James, at 7-foot-2 and 300 pounds, is difficult to dislodge.

Someone has to jump in and absorb the impact, take the charge, protect the basket, set the screens, block a few shots, grab more than a few rebounds, and in general, provide the Kings with a wall of resistance that emerged briefly after the Chris Webber trade ... only to have gone missing of late.

Ostertag can do this.

The man started in the NBA Finals. Twice.

The man is long, wide, huge. Always.

When he performs the way he did during Monday's loss to the Utah Jazz - clogging the lane, contesting drives, finding cutters with precise passes - the 10th-year pro provides dimensions that can turn a series, and at the very least, enable Brian Skinner to catch his breath and Brad Miller to continue his rehabilitation.

"That was an example of the old Greg, the one the Kings fans used to hate," Ostertag said Tuesday. "This is what I do. I just hope I get the chance to do something during the playoffs. I'm not one of those guys who just wants to collect a paycheck. It just kills me that I'm not out there."

Ostertag, 32, who has been an afterthought throughout the regular season, thus should approach the postseason as his second chance, as an opportunity to erase all those depressing regular-season memories. The DNPs in three of the last 10 games. The untold number of disapproving glances from his coaches. The woeful 2004-05 statistics (1.5 points, 2.9 rebounds, 9.7 minutes), the worst of his career.

Yet he can still emerge a winner, can still contribute. Affect the upcoming best-of-seven series with a flurry of timely rejections, consistent defense, a series of putbacks, and Kings fans will forgive and forget. In fact, reputations can be revised in an amazingly short period of time.

A solid performance tonight against the Phoenix Suns undoubtedly would enhance Ostertag's cause with coach Rick Adelman, and it certainly would do wonders for his own sagging confidence. Seriously. How sad is this? How do you maintain a spring in your step when that fateful collision with a footstool hovers like a season-long hangover?

"That just took the wind out of me," admitted Ostertag, referring to the fractured hand that sidelined him for the first several weeks. "That killed me as far as conditioning goes. I thought I could come into training camp in decent shape, then use camp to get in better shape, like I always do. I really thought I was going to get to play a lot more. I kept hanging on that, and it didn't work out. I have nobody to blame but myself."

Yet a brief bonding session six weeks ago with Kings assistant Elston Turner may have salvaged the postseason. Turner, who is soft-spoken but blunt, approached Ostertag and insisted the burly veteran remained in the team's plans, and accordingly, strongly suggested that he hustle himself into shape.

Just like that - or within a succession of weeks - Ostertag started running laps instead of running for the exit. He sprinted between the baselines before games and after practices. He lost approximately 15 pounds, the weight loss most apparent in his upper arms. And he began to believe that he might eventually matter after all.

"We didn't bring Greg here to be real pretty," team president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie noted. "(The Utah game was) an example of how he can help us. Hopefully he can do some of that in the playoffs. Just do the things he can do. He knows who he is."

A shot blocker. A banger. A slow-footed but effective performer. A veteran who says he has learned from his mistakes. "I will never come to camp like this again," Ostertag vowed, "but the only thing I can do now is move ahead. I have to keep my head up. And Sac fans ought to know that I tend to step up in the playoffs. I had some pretty good games here. "If we can pull it all together and start playing the way we did during that run late last month, helping each other defensively, we can be tough to beat. And at this point, I just want to do anything I can to help."

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12756531p-13608032c.html

[/font]

ostertag can help by gettin in the game and throwing players around that kill us in the paint. like amare. USE YOUR FOULS. ALL 6 OF EM. PUT FEAR IN THEIR HEARTS

I will take a slow footed, out of shape, and flabby Ostertag anyday!

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING DECENT AND JUST, NO MORE DARIUS OR CORLISS PLAYING CENTER!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Okay...who does everyone want at starting center in the Playoffs? Or would you just rotate what we have throughout the game and see what works best?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Voisin with another dead on piece... scary really, but it's not like she is revealing anything any one with a stat sheet and two eyes does not already know. Idealy sure we get Brad backa nd start him, but not likely in the early games of round one, and even if he is available he will not be able to take huge min. Here is the news flash... even IF Brad were 100% Im not sure he should get huge min agianst Seatle, all season they punked him donw low like the new kid on the cell block and this is the paly offs whre physicla ply is the name of the game. and in the end Tag IS physical. I know some folks are still very high on Skinner who is physical, and idealy I'd like to see him start along with a center not as one. The big boys in Seatle will toss him arorund like a rag doll and in case no one has noticed the past 5 games or so Skinner ahs been the invisalbe man. Now looking at the past 2 game one guy stands out as a defenseive jugernaut turning the tide of games when in... that is Tag. Don't start whining... "We lost those games." Sure we did but you sure can't blame Tag. Ok maybe he did NOT score and were he replacing a guy who was scoring that miget be a consideration, but Skinner was NOT scoreing, nor was he blocking shots, kepping guys out of the paint or even passing well... he id das usual get rebounds (and I DO like him). Tag on the other hand turned the paint into a no fly zone in both the pheonix and Utha game his presence in the 2nd quarter got the Kings back in the game. Kings started scoring in the paint while the oposition had to take jumpers. Tag is passing better than any one could ahve guessed actualy LEADING the team in Pheonix.

So asuming Brad is not back for Seatle I would not mind seeing Tag start, but honestly who cares who starts? What is important is minuets and start or not ifthe Kings want to win they HAVE to get 15-25 min out of Tag, more if the Big guy has it in him.

If Brad is not back for the beginning of the playoffs, play Skinner at Center, and then bring in Tag. Tag makes a huge difference when he's down there challenging shots, but I wouldn't want to start the game with him, given his poor conditioning. He needs to play for short stints or else he becomes ineffective. He's getting better, but still pretty out of shape.

"I have to keep my head up. And Sac fans ought to know that I tend to step up in the playoffs."

Is that true? All I can rememeber is him fouling out against Webber and thowing a bunch of fits whenever we played the Jazz which was quite often. We do need him in particular to step up though.

The last series we played the Jazz in the Post season we made Tag look like Shaquille O'Neal the first two games, then we started pressuring him, forcing him to give up fouls.

First off I just want to say that is a great way to describe ET soft spoken but blunt.

As for the article it was solid. AV is really starting to get it I guess...

I hope GO does BRING IT in the POs cuz we will need him thats for sure...GO G-O!!

EmKingsFan4 said:
[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
"We didn't bring Greg here to be real pretty," team president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie noted. "(The Utah game was) an example of how he can help us. Hopefully he can do some of that in the playoffs. Just do the things he can do. He knows who he is."
[/font]
Well said, GP.

you cant help but loving this guy and his attitude. tho this has been his worst season, statistically, he's still got his head up, with no complaints. i sure hope he can take advantage of whatever opportunities are given to him in the playoffs.

Between Tag and Corliss we should get some respect from Seattle. Just knowing Tag is going to play some real minutes will make Seattle think twice before pulling any antics.

Even if Tag's numbers stink he is worth his weight if he can stall Seattle's offense when we need it. Tag is Stop-Man. If he plays well for 15-20 minutes a game I think our chances our good.

Nice article. Ostertag has the potential to be a factor in our success this postseason. It's really all up to him.

On a side note, where was the jab at Chris Webber or Rick Adelman. I'm sure she could of thrown in something like:

"Ostertag provided a welcome presence in the middle against Utah for the Kings, who have been lacking an inside defender ever since Chris Webber returned early from his knee injury last year."