Ailene Voisin: In Kings' hearts - and their employ?

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12709006p-13561391c.html

Ailene Voisin: In Kings' hearts - and their employ?

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Monday, April 11, 2005

That Kings-Lakers rivalry might not be dead after all, might merely be dormant, awaiting the day Vlade Divac retires, turns to his favorite former bosses, and asks, "OK, fellas, who really wants me?"

Joe Maloof and Geoff Petrie? Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak?

Gentlemen, start your bidding ...

Only this time, the Kings can't afford to lose, can't lose Divac again. Once was bad enough.

Elite franchises embrace their former stars, establish traditions that span generations. Some build statues, donate ownership shares or hand over the microphone. Others provide job opportunities. Buss, for better or for worse, relies heavily on one former Laker (general manager Kupchak) while being openly second-guessed by another (part-owner Magic Johnson). The Maloofs lean all over Petrie, who has never hidden his exceptional fondness for Divac, the club's first significant free-

agent signing back in 1999.

On this latest trip down memory lane, that once red-hot Divac-Kings romance was rekindled without benefit of red roses, sappy greeting cards or box of chocolates. The familiar sight of the engaging old center was enough, his massive personality filling the 17,317-seat room and prompting spontaneous, repeated outpourings of affection.

The fact that he wore an opponent's jersey, sat on an opponent's bench, dressed in an opponent's locker room, once even flopped and fooled the refs, failed to diminish what could prove to be Divac's final Sacramento appearance. He was greeted with a standing ovation when he entered the game, applauded even more enthusiastically when he waved to the crowd, was barely booed when he dramatically flung his arms into the air while entangled with Brian Skinner, his current and eminently capable successor.

Seriously, who can boo Vlade?

Better yet, who will hire Vlade?

Asked whether he is prepared to win a future duel with Buss, Kings co-owner Joe Maloof nodded, vehemently.

"Vlade always has a job with this organization. We'll create one for him, and for Doug Christie, too. There's a million things he (Divac) can do to help us. Geoff will figure it out. Maybe scouting for us in Europe, working with our big guys. You couldn't find a better person to represent your organization, and people still love him so much around here. Just listen to the crowd today. It was unbelievable."

Divac, who will retire unless the Lakers exercise the $5.4 million option on his contract, was visibly moved by the reception. There have been few cheers for him this season, even fewer games played (12). After rupturing a disc in his lower back during a preseason workout, he labored during eight early-season games, then underwent surgery that sidelined him until April 5. In his ensuing four outings, in what the Lakers are terming an audition, his movements have resembled those of a creaky, aging, overworked machine, his body and his skills in desperate need of a lube job.

"If the Lakers don't want me back, I'll take a year off and move to Europe with Ana so the kids can experience living over there, and then figure out what I'm going to do," he said. "I want to stay in basketball and, of course, there is only the Kings and the Lakers. My best years were here. This is family."

Excluding the obvious, namely that Vlade could never be a conditioning coach, the possibilities are intriguing.

Who better to teach nearly extinct low-post play? Who has been more accommodating with autographs, photos and media requests? Who more generously devoted energies to local charities? (He is flying back Tuesday for the third annual Charitabowl sponsored by Bobby Jackson and Peja Stojakovic.)

Divac also is an entertainer, a genuine star who gets it, who connects with his fans. Sunday he worked the place like Bill Clinton on a rope line. He shook hands, posed for photos, nodding toward those who shouted his name. He embraced his former coaches and teammates. He caught Petrie's eye and grinned. At halftime, he approached the Maloofs and shared a laugh. "Vlade said there he was going to have some new surgical procedure that implants the bone of a much younger man in his back," said Joe, shaking his head, "and he said, 'then will you bring me back?' I didn't realize he was kidding at first. But I told him that when he's done playing, we'll find him a place."

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I know Vlade feels a conncetion to the Lakers and actualy like life behind the Orange Curtian but honestly which opertunity is greater: C]art of a coacing staff tha is due for over haul at any givne moment coaching an uncoachable prima dona and crew of knuckle heads who do not apear ready to go any where any time soon, or joining a succesfull coaching staff locked in contracts putting together a tallented young team with experience and most of the necessary pieces already in palce and one of his close friends on the roster... hmm what a decision.

Vlade's such a funny guy! :D

I'm glad to hear that the Maloofs are willing to let Vlade and Doug be part of the organization once they retire!

LMM said:
(He is flying back Tuesday for the third annual Charitabowl sponsored by Bobby Jackson and Peja Stojakovic.)
That's great!!! :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Asked whether he is prepared to win a future duel with Buss, Kings co-owner Joe Maloof nodded, vehemently.

"Vlade always has a job with this organization. We'll create one for him, and for Doug Christie, too. There's a million things he (Divac) can do to help us. Geoff will figure it out. Maybe scouting for us in Europe, working with our big guys. You couldn't find a better person to represent your organization, and people still love him so much around here. Just listen to the crowd today. It was unbelievable."
I'm saving this! Glad to see Joe Maloof saying what so many of us have felt!

One thing AV didn't mention was the interaction between Vlade and the officials. At one point, Steve Javie was standing next to Vlade. Looking up at him, he said, "Can you still dunk? We (meaning the officials) want to know if you can still dunk." Vlade looked down, smiled and said, "Well, I can try." Javie laughed, looked towards the other officials and said, "He can't dunk." Laughter all around...

Vlade brings a joy of living to the game, an all-encompassing feeling of goodwill and camraderie. I, for one, would love to see him on the sidelines in the future, showing future Kings players you can be really, really good at what you do and still have fun.

"Vlade always has a job with this organization. We'll create one for him, and for Doug Christie, too."

Thats what I like to hear

"Excluding the obvious, namely that Vlade could never be a conditioning coach, the possibilities are intriguing."

lol good one AV

Twix said:
Vlade's such a funny guy! :D

I'm glad to hear that the Maloofs are willing to let Vlade and Doug be part of the organization once they retire!

That's great!!! :)
yeah Valde is such a fun guy! i'm hoping doug doesnt retire anytime soon becuase i love watching him play and i would be really sad if he does. but it would be nice to see valde and doug back on our side!

piksi

Hall of Famer
HndsmCelt said:
European scout?
I can see DC as a defensive coach
Vlade as officaial rookie sophmore orentation coordianter
Vlade would be a good conditioning coach ;)

How many are able to play for 16 years in the NBA smoking 2 packs a day and never working out over the summer ?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
piksi said:
Vlade would be a good conditioning coach ;)

How many are able to play for 16 years in the NBA smoking 2 packs a day and never working out over the summer ?
Well lets give Tag cret for 9 with no work outs what so ever and a chew habit. (and short one kedney)

I thought it was pretty funny yesterday when Al Michaels said they took out Vlade because he wanted to go take a "toke" and then he quicly rephrased it and said, puff. He then said "don't read anything into that". What is he trying to say?????

"At halftime, he approached the Maloofs and shared a laugh. "Vlade said there he was going to have some new surgical procedure that implants the bone of a much younger man in his back," said Joe, shaking his head, "and he said, 'then will you bring me back?' "

awww. i like this quote :)

"Brian Skinner, his current and eminently capable successor" -AV

Did that quote annoy anyone else? I mean, Brian's exceeded all expectations, but to call him that ^ after a couple dozen games really seems to diminish Vlade's contributions over 6 years.
~~

^^ i noticed that, too.

i'm sure chris would also love to come back. but i think joe didn't mention him because he's probably not coming back any time soon because he still has years left on his contract.

when chris' contract is up, maybe he can be a part of the team again. i hope to see doug, vlade, and chris together again with the team.

The most important FA signing next year may be Vlade Divac. Who'd a thunk it.

I did hear that LA might as well keep him on the roster because they are so far over the cap that it doesn't matter much. I for one hope they buy him out.

Daniela said:
I thought it was pretty funny yesterday when Al Michaels said they took out Vlade because he wanted to go take a "toke" and then he quicly rephrased it and said, puff. He then said "don't read anything into that". What is he trying to say?????

Toke is a term usually used for smoking marijuana. Micheals was just sayig now that doesnt mean hes smoking it thats why he said puff right after.. He meant cigarettes but still was stupid to say by Micheals.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Alacron said:
"Brian Skinner, his current and eminently capable successor" -AV

Did that quote annoy anyone else? I mean, Brian's exceeded all expectations, but to call him that ^ after a couple dozen games really seems to diminish Vlade's contributions over 6 years.
~~
If my name was Brad Miller I might also be just a little annoyed...