Adelman hopeful Kings will extend his contract

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11044217p-11961086c.html

Adelman hopeful Kings will extend his contract

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, October 10, 2004

Kings coach Rick Adelman has one year remaining on his contract, with one more year at the option of the team's management.

He'd love to have that option year extended and has made that desire known.

Adelman also knows that decision is out of his control, so he'll attempt to continue doing what he's been doing - leading the Kings to consistent, if not ultimate success, and see what happens.

"I've talked to Geoff about it," he said, referring to Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie. "I've had no response from anybody about it."

Adelman, who was close to taking a coaching job in 1998 at Portland State before the Kings approached him, is making approximately $2 million this season, and his salary would reach about $2.3 million to $2.4 million in his option year.

Interestingly, Adelman's salary likely does not put him among the league's top half of the highest-paid coaches, many of whom have accomplished far less.

However, Adelman says he has no desire to finish his contract and see what the open market might bring financially.

"Definitely, I want to stay here," he says. "I'd like that year. I love this group. I love the city. It's something you want to continue to do, but I don't have any control over that. But I do honestly feel - and I'm not being self-serving - but I think we've been pretty successful. I think that should be enough to reward the coaching staff.

"But if it doesn't happen, we have a job to do here. We have a good team. And I'll try to get us to win as much as I can. But I certainly feel our staff deserves that nod of recognition, a little security, and I think it helps the whole situation here. But again, it's not my option."

Adelman has all types of statistical success in his favor suggesting he's been one of the league's winningest coaches for most of the past 14 seasons. The Kings have averaged 57 victories over the past four seasons and won back-to-back Pacific Division titles while compiling a 230-98 (.701) regular-season record.

And that's despite a number of untimely injuries that have robbed Adelman of key weapons.

What Adelman lacks, though, is the jewelry - an NBA championship ring, despite coaching Portland in the Finals twice (1990 and 1992) - that the Maloof family ownership so covets and believes they have provided him in talent.

And although they will not say so publicly, that is the reason the Maloofs have yet to commit to that final year. They have thrice extended Adelman's contract, and even he admits the Maloofs have been great to him.

Joe Maloof said last week he had not addressed the issue with Petrie, who also is underpaid at about $1.5 million.

Maloof acknowledged forces beyond Adelman's control have contributed to Sacramento's failure to win the Western Conference and reach the Finals.

"It hasn't been his fault," Maloof said of Adelman. "You hate to blame injuries, but the facts are we've been hurt by them, especially in the playoffs. If you take away the injuries, we probably would have won a title.

"It's not like we've had injuries to the 10th and 11th men. It was Peja (Stojakovic) in 2002 and Chris (Webber) in 2003 and Bobby (Jackson) last (season). If we can just be healthy, I'd like to see how we'd do."

It would be nice to see how the Kings would do if they could shoot free throws well in situations when their season is on the line.

Adelman's coaching style, at times inflexible, has opened the door to criticism, but every coach can and will be criticized. Larry Brown led the Detroit Pistons to an NBA title in June, but a bronze-medal finish in the Olympics brought his methods and decisions into question.

Adelman said he doesn't think the lack of an extension will be a factor.

"I think guys have gone through years without (future) contracts and done just fine," he said. "And then there are those who have been in those situations when things have not worked for them.

"I think you become a lame duck when your team is not doing very well," he said, "and that can happen very quickly. But from my standpoint, this is my seventh year, and I think our staff has done a great job. I would love to have that extra year of security."

Notes - Each of the available Kings practiced Saturday, although Webber's knee was sore and his availability for tonight's first exhibition game against Golden State at Arco Arena will be decided today. ... The Kings will leave following the game for their two exhibition contests against Houston in China.

Preseason opener

Kings vs. Warriors

Time: 6 p.m. TV: 2 Radio: KHTK 1140

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I just am not seeing Rick get that extension until this season starts to play out, and maybe not even until the season is over.

If things go poorly, I have a tendency to believe that next offseason could see a ton of changes as we move into rebuilding mode, with only Bibby, Brad and some of the young players guaranteed to return. And if that's true, I doubt Rick would be brought back. He's a good coach for a top tier team, but I would think you'd go with a younger choice for a rebuilding project.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What Adelman lacks, though, is the jewelry - an NBA championship ring, despite coaching Portland in the Finals twice (1990 and 1992) - that the Maloof family ownership so covets and believes they have provided him in talent.

And although they will not say so publicly, that is the reason the Maloofs have yet to commit to that final year. They have thrice extended Adelman's contract, and even he admits the Maloofs have been great to him.
I think this is a bellwether year for Adelman - I'm just hoping the fates are on his and OUR side to make this a season we'll long remember fondly.

:D

Bricklayer said:
I just am not seeing Rick get that extension until this season starts to play out, and maybe not even until the season is over.

If things go poorly, I have a tendency to believe that next offseason could see a ton of changes as we move into rebuilding mode, with only Bibby, Brad and some of the young players guaranteed to return. And if that's true, I doubt Rick would be brought back. He's a good coach for a top tier team, but I would think you'd go with a younger choice for a rebuilding project.
Agreed. If the Maloofs feel this year is another dissapointment, I expect Adelman, Christie, Bobby, Webb (if possible), and possibly Peja (although he maybe would be happier with some of these guys gone) all moved in order to begin a youth movement. Adelman isnt a rebuilding coach. God forbid this has to happen. I've generally been a fan of Rick over the years.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:

very possible scenario

Bricklayer said:

Who would that younger choice be? I'm not a huge basketball mind like many guys on this site, but to my untrained eye, he is one of the better coaches out there and I don't think he deserves to go on the coaching carousel.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Geoff said:
Who would that younger choice be? I'm not a huge basketball mind like many guys on this site, but to my untrained eye, he is one of the better coaches out there and I don't think he deserves to go on the coaching carousel.
No idea who it would be. There's always some assistant coach out there somewhere.

In any case, that's just the way I'm guessing it will play out, just from having watched the league for a long time. Jerry Sloan is very rare in having stayed on for his team's rebuilding. Its far far more common for the coach of a successful team to be pushed aside and asked to leave along with the guys he coached to the top. Most of the time they don't even want to stay for the losing years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hopefully, it will be a moot point as Adelman finally gets a healthy team and leads them all the way through mid-June!!

:D