Salary: $8,000,000 Years Remaining: 0
PTS: 14.6 REB: 7.9 AST: 3.1 PER: 15.96
Corliss Williamson
Salary: $6,000,000 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 4.1 REB: 2.0 AST: 0.4 PER: 9.45

Outgoing Players: Nene Hilario, Earl Watson, Voshon Lenard

Right now the Kings are 24-29.

Minnesota stands at 23-29.

While as a Kings fan I would take that deal every day and twice on Sundays, Minny certainly wouldn't. As trading truisms go, "the team that gets the best player comes out ahead in the trade" ranks slightly above "don't trade big for small."

In addition to giving up a superstar for good but not great players, the Timberwolves would balk at this deal because it leaves them exactly where they are now - wallowing in mediocrity.

Visions of a Kings lineup of Watson, Martin, Artest, Garnett and Nene have to be tempered with the reality that Minnesota, if they deal KG, are going to head into full blown rebuilding mode.

Salary cap relief, young players and draft picks are what they will demand. I don't see any way that KG will be traded to the Kings. I'd love to be wrong though.

I dont see how any kings fan would want to trade Miller or Bibby. Kings fans are soposed to have faith in their team. We have made enough moves. All we need is a solid back up point gaurd. Our team now has all kinds of potential. Bibby + Bonzi + Artest + Shareef + Miller sounds good to me.

Kings may need to hurry if they want him...

http://http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39251/20060221/garnett_to_the_big_apple/

Garnett To The Big Apple?
21st February, 2006 - 10:51 pm
Christopher Reina/RealGM - A source close to the participants in the talks told Christopher Reina late Tuesday night that New York and Minnesota have had serious discussions about a deal which would send Kevin Garnett to the Knicks in exchange for Penny Hardaway and Channing Frye. Isiah Thomas, who has called Frye untouchable all season, is willing to give up the sought after rookie to land the future Hall of Famer.

Garnett has made it clear to the front office that should he be dealt, he wants to go to New York and that wish will be fulfilled if the Timberwolves decide to end the KG era and begin to rebuild. They reportedly respect Garnett and all that he has done for both the franchise and the area would try to trade him to his preferred team.

The question of if the Wolves want to move on without Garnett will be the deciding factor in whether a trade gets completed before Thursday.

This deal delayed last week's Knicks discussions with the Magic regarding Steve Francis and it is why it will be Jamal Crawford and Maurice Taylor going to Orlando for their first time, instead of Hardaway’s second. That deal is all but complete, but Orlando is waiting to see if Denver returns to the table before the deadline.

If the Wolves choose to retain Garnett, the Knicks will turn to Denver and Kenyon Martin, a player that Larry Brown covets

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Merdiesel said:
I dont see how any kings fan would want to trade Miller or Bibby. Kings fans are soposed to have faith in their team. We have made enough moves. All we need is a solid back up point gaurd. Our team now has all kinds of potential. Bibby + Bonzi + Artest + Shareef + Miller sounds good to me.
No, Kings fans are supposed to want the Kings to win.

Artest + Garnett + kids etc. = win.

Artest + Garnett + kids etc. = win.

ROFL, that is so true. if someone blew by artest.. garnett would be patrolling the paint to throw it out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Garnett has made it clear to the front office that should he be dealt, he wants to go to New York...
I just re-read the article and saw that. I cannot believe that Kevin Garnett would want to throw away the rest of his career in New York.

Wouldn't really like this trade. It would leave Skinner as our starting center, knowing adelman though he's put SAR as our starting center before playing Skinner. *shakes head*

And Earl Watson would be our starting guard. Haven't seen enough of him to be that comfortable with him.

Bricklayer

Merdiesel said:
Bibby Bonzi Artest Shareef and Miller can win. they just need to play together.
No, that frontcourt cannot win anything of any significance.

Its almost exactly the same stupidly mismatched team we had to start the year, with only Artest swapped in for Peja. Still no rebounding. Still no shotblocking. Ron's great, but people are seriously deluding themselves if they think he can or has patched some of the worst holes.

Bricklayer said:
No, that frontcourt cannot win anything of any significance.

Its almost exactly the same stupidly mismatched team we had to start the year, with only Artest swapped in for Peja. Still no rebounding. Still no shotblocking. Ron's great, but people are seriously deluding themselves if they think he can or has patched some of the worst holes.
indeed

i dont think the following lineup can be achieved, but it combines several of the trade scenarios and players that have been discussed the last coupla weeks, and, imo, is a true contender.

C: brad miller/joel pryzbilla/brian skinner
PF: tyson chandler/shareef abdur rahim/brian skinner
SF: ron artest/shareef abdur rahim/francisco garcia
SG: kevin martin/francisco garcia
PG: mike bibby/earl watson

this is assuming that we trade bonzi wells for earl watson, we somehow dump kenny thomas' and corliss williamson's contracts in a trade for tyson chandler, and throw enough money at joel pryzbilla to sign him in the offseason. the above lineup, of course, isn't really conceivable, but a lineup like that could be a real contender. it is one with much frontcourt depth and much frontcourt flexibility (something the kings have not had in some time). we could throw less minutes at miller and bibby because they will have capable backups who bring things to the table that miller and bibby do not. this lineup is still lacking in frontcourt athleticism, which is okay, given the halfcourt style of basketball the kings typically play. i only bring it up to illustrate what a balanced kings team could look like, as opposed to our current lineup which lacks the size to rebound and play interior defense adequately.

Joel is going to want a LOT of money. He's a very good defender, he's 7 foot and a good rebounder. He's like a white Ben Wallace who is not as good of course. If Foyle makes 8 a year. He's atleast going to get that.

That's a pretty nice team, I wish it were possible, but like my trade on another page, it's highly unlikely. ^^.

Bricklayer

That's a VERY good team, lacking only perhaps a true #1 offensive option. But it would mean you would have to turn:

Bonzi Wells
Kenny Thomas
Corliss Williamson
Jason Hart
Ronnie Price
Jamaal Sampson

into

Tyson Chandler
Joel Pryzbilla
Earl Watson

But hey, if you can pull it off, by all means do so! :)

Bricklayer said:
That's a VERY good team, lacking only perhaps a true #1 offensive option. But it would mean you would have to turn:

Bonzi Wells
Kenny Thomas
Corliss Williamson
Jason Hart
Ronnie Price
Jamaal Sampson

into

Tyson Chandler
Joel Pryzbilla
Earl Watson

:D

hehe...i did say that it was very unlikely...cuz i know it is. i'm just trying to put in perspective how much work the kings need at the PF/C position in order to become a contender. some people seem to think that KT and SAR is gonna be enough, and i'm quite certain that it is not, especially if ya wanna be contending for a championship.

Bricklayer said:

Bonzi Wells
Kenny Thomas
Corliss Williamson
Jason Hart
Ronnie Price
Jamaal Sampson

into

Tyson Chandler
Joel Pryzbilla
Earl Watson

and, concerning the bolded, yer right, the lineup i posted doesn't really have a #1 scoring option, but what i like about it is that it allows kevin martin and francisco garcia to [hopefully] continue developing enough to [hopefully] someday play in that capacity. kevin has proven to be an efficient scorer of late, and francisco has proven he has the ability to become a prolific outside shooter, as well as defensive pest. we wouldn't necessarily have a go-to guy (a la chris webber of days long since past) who everybody could defer to when the shots aren't falling, but i like both the offensive and defensive potential of the lineup i crafted, as ludicrously improbable as it is.

The point of KG coming here, outside of talent, is that he would work insanely well with Bibby. So trading Bibby for him wouldn't make sense. Infact, how well the TWolves have played has historicaly had more to do with how well their PG is going than how well KG is playing.

Who do you suggest we offer, then? You're not getting a Top 5 player without giving up some serious assets. Garnett is never coming to play for the Kings. Never. But if he did anytime soon, Bibby would be in Minnesota (or someplace else in a multi-team).

If Garnett is really going to be traded this offseason the Bulls are going to be first in line. And since they are so far under the cap in the offseason they don't even have to match his salary in a trade. So basically, the Bulls can offer Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, one more youngster (maybe Duhon) and one or two first round picks, which would give the Wolves about $12 million in immediate salary cap relief. They wouldn't even have to wait a year for contracts to expire.

If the Kings are getting Garnett they're going to have to beat that offer. And probably the only way they'd do that is if they took on some of the bad deals as well. This is the only thing I could think of that would even make Minnesota think twice:

Bibby, Kevin Martin, Monia, Potapenko (expiring 2007), Williamson (expiring 2007) and 2 first rounders

for

Garnett, Hudson, Jaric

Even then I don't really know if the Kings are beating Chicago's offer, and while the Kings would probably suck it up and make the trade it would kill the cap for the foreseeable future. And the Kings lineup of Hudson/Garcia/Artest/Garnett/Miller would probably be good, but certainly not great.

The other option would be a three team deal, but I can't see teams really helping one another out to get Garnett to a team other than their own.

nbrans said:
If Garnett is really going to be traded this offseason the Bulls are going to be first in line. And since they are so far under the cap in the offseason they don't even have to match his salary in a trade. So basically, the Bulls can offer Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, one more youngster (maybe Duhon) and one or two first round picks, which would give the Wolves about $12 million in immediate salary cap relief. They wouldn't even have to wait a year for contracts to expire.

If the Kings are getting Garnett they're going to have to beat that offer. And probably the only way they'd do that is if they took on some of the bad deals as well. This is the only thing I could think of that would even make Minnesota think twice:

Bibby, Kevin Martin, Monia, Potapenko (expiring 2007), Williamson (expiring 2007) and 2 first rounders

for

Garnett, Hudson, Jaric

Even then I don't really know if the Kings are beating Chicago's offer, and while the Kings would probably suck it up and make the trade it would kill the cap for the foreseeable future. And the Kings lineup of Hudson/Garcia/Artest/Garnett/Miller would probably be good, but certainly not great.

The other option would be a three team deal, but I can't see teams really helping one another out to get Garnett to a team other than their own.
I wouldn't do that trade.