A day that lives on in infamy

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Four years ago today, it was announced that the Monarchs were ceasing operations. I'm still not over it. The Maloofs better not find themselves walking the streets of Riverdale, Georgia, is all I'm saying.

And, as far as the rumored reason for killing the Monarchs? To devote those resources to making the Kings more competitive? Well, it's four years later, and the Monarchs are still dead, the Kings still suck, and the carpetbagging Maloofs are out of the pro sports business. So, how'd that work out for everybody?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The "rumored reason" was akin to describing the platinum buttons on the Emperor's new clothes.

How’s SAC gonna get the Monarchs back?

I recall Vivek saying he wanted to bring the WNBA back to town when he took over the team.

Of course, the league has downsized the past decade and is finally profitable. Doesn’t sound as if they’re seriously entertaining expansion anytime soon. But relocation has always been a constant.

Are there any struggling franchises out there to be had?

I realize poaching a team from another city seems disingenuous considering what almost happened to the KINGS, but IMO it’s different if that team isn’t being supported.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How’s SAC gonna get the Monarchs back?

I recall Vivek saying he wanted to bring the WNBA back to town when he took over the team.

Of course, the league has downsized the past decade and is finally profitable. Doesn’t sound as if they’re seriously entertaining expansion anytime soon. But relocation has always been a constant.

Are there any struggling franchises out there to be had?

I realize poaching a team from another city seems disingenuous considering what almost happened to the KINGS, but IMO it’s different if that team isn’t being supported.
Sounds like what Seattle fans were saying when they were trying to poach the Kings.

I think the league just might be in favor of returning a team to Sacramento, and not somebody else's team. We just got an MLS team so perhaps it's time to turn our focus towards a rebirth of the Monarchs.

Sounds like what Seattle fans were saying when they were trying to poach the Kings..
I don’t see the comparison. We (SAC) always supported the team. I’m talking about poaching a team that is struggling because they don’t have strong fan support. Seattle was trying to poach a team with almost unparalleled fan support for most of 30 years at the time. IMO a much different situation. I certainly wouldn’t want to see them steal a team from a city with good support. No way.

IDK if there is a poor fan support situation or not in the WNBA, but I’m sure @Mr. S£im Citrus would know. I just know that a lot of WNBA teams have relocated and am pretty confident attendance is among the main reasons why.

I figure relocation might be more likely than expansion. That’s all. And we supported the Monarchs pretty well here, IIRC.

Last edited: