76ers vs. Pistons (Game 3)

Allen Iverson and Chris Webber are rolling. Webber drilleda few big shots down the stretch and Iverson just made a 3 pointer and the assits by Webber. The 76ers are up 109-100 with a 1:33 left in the 4th quarter.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I have not gotten too caught up in the watching Philly stuff after the trade (any more than I normally do -- they have always kind of been my East Coast affiliation since my college days). But tonight was a lot of fun. Webb stepped up huge in the 4th quarter and really carried the Sixers down the stretch. Not only on offense, but also with assists, defense, aggressive boards. Played like the superstar type player you need to have step up in the playoffs. Still expect Detroit to win the series, and probably pretty easily. But it was nice to see Webb have one moment when he was allowed to matter and turn a big game.

detroit's still gonna win the series. probably in 5, 6 tops, IMO. but it's definitely nice to see webb playing well :) hope he keeps it up!

Bricklayer said:
I have not gotten too caught up in the watching Philly stuff after the trade (any more than I normally do -- they have always kind of been my East Coast affiliation since my college days). But tonight was a lot of fun. Webb stepped up huge in the 4th quarter and really carried the Sixers down the stretch. Not only on offense, but also with assists, defense, aggressive boards. Played like the superstar type player you need to have step up in the playoffs. Still expect Detroit to win the series, and probably pretty easily. But it was nice to see Webb have one moment when he was allowed to matter and turn a big game.
I missed this game because it's Friday night and the Sixers don't matter in the current scheme of things. Philly is "my" East Coast team 'cuz I have family there but ... meh ... their record in the playoffs this season is no better than the Kings this playoffs...1-2... but good for them for getting back into the series. :p

Last edited:
YAY! glad to see a Sixers win & that Webb played well. Was excited when the score flashed at Arco & I saw that the Sixers won, and was hoping Webb was a big part of it. Hopefully this will be the start of things going well for him on his new team.

CWebb looked unstoppable today... seems like he couldnt miss. Too bad he hasnt been much of a 3 point shooter in Sac... i saw him shoot like two 3's in a row tonight, i was impressed.

love_them_kings said:
YAY! glad to see a Sixers win & that Webb played well. Was excited when the score flashed at Arco & I saw that the Sixers won, and was hoping Webb was a big part of it. Hopefully this will be the start of things going well for him on his new team.

Yay, Webb!! Good game and according to BSPN ratings the 3rd best player for the Sixers, and the 7th best best player of the game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyleaders?gameId=250429020&date=20050429

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
N.U.F.A.N. said:
CWebb looked unstoppable today... seems like he couldnt miss. Too bad he hasnt been much of a 3 point shooter in Sac... i saw him shoot like two 3's in a row tonight, i was impressed.
Oh, he missed a lot early. And even a few in the big 4th quarter run. But it was the complete confidence he stepped up with that really made the difference. Wanted the ball, wanted the game, and it was obvious. All of a sudden good things happened.

Surprising thing about this series so far is that it's been Detroit's big guys off the bench, mainly McDyess, that have provided the lift for the Pistons in the first half, then Rasheed has come out strong in the second half, at least in the first two games.

Looks like the Sixers got the contributions from the bench bigs tonight...RRogers hit a couple of threes to give the Sixers a lead heading into the 4th, and he'd been predictably worthless in the first two games. If there's one thing Billy King did wrong in making the CWebb trade, it was completely sacrificing their bench depth at PF/C by giving up KT, Corliss and Skinner. In fact, it's really just Skinner that was the guy I wouldn't have let go --- his athleticism could have been quite key for the Philly bench instead of having two ground bound bulky guys like Jackson and Rogers off the bench.

Good win for the Sixers in game 3. In game 4 they'll need another performance out of AI like the one he had tonight, and it'd be helpful if CWebb could have a performance akin to his game 1 performance. Good thing for the Sixers about being at home is that Korver seems to shoot much, much better at home vs. the road. I've always held to thought that role players generally play better at home...only time it didn't really work out to be true was the Kings' game 7 loss against the Lakers a few years back when DC laid a complete egg in that game.

Edit: also, re: the Sixers and their deadline trades, it would've been nice had the team been able to convince Glenn Robinson to play for them...GRob can't be much more of a defensive liability than Korver, and he's certainly a more effective scorer. But GRob had it in his head that he should've started for the Sixers, so I guess he was fine with not playing at all instead of coming off the bench behind a guy like Korver. It will be interesting to see if he has any impact for the Spurs in these playoffs.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
sloter said:
Its one of those millenium games for Webber... good luck to the Sixers next time.
:rolleyes: sloter, as a fellow Illini fan, I'd like to give you a high-five, but sometimes I'd just rather slap you. :eek: :D

I only saw the last quarter where Webber really did look good, even though he got slapped around on defense by both Wallace's... I finally got to look at the stats and it seems like it was the same old 7 for 19 Webber I'm used to, so I take my comment back.

I guess Webb's shoulder is better if he can carry AI around, his head alone must weigh 100 lbs. Good game Chris, nice to see. I hope they whip Detroit in the next 3 games but I'm not holding my breathe on that one!!!