49ers vs. Saints

i think we have a good chance of beating the saints this sunday. all we have to do is take care of dante stallworth, joe horn and maybe aaron brooks(depends if he brings his A game). we already got duce McCallister covered with our speedy linebackers. i think ken dorsey will get the job done this week if he can get some decent pass protection.Kevan Barlow really needs to take a good look in the mirror and find some way to fix his nagging fumbling problem. the secondary is going to have to step it up with the absence of Mike Rumph. Overall, im stayin optomistic about this upcoming week.

GO 49ERS!!!!!!

Not a bad showing at all. We once again played well (outplayed the Saints IMHO) but the team's youth shows in the final minutes with a key fumble at a time when we just about had the game wrapped up. Engleberger also had a chance to seal the win with an interception on the Saints ensuing drive.

All-in-all Dorsey played well, and all the "replacement" guys played awesome. I won't even comment on that horrible last call that also would have given us an excellent shot at the win... it was the ultimate capper to a frustrating but encouraging game.

frusturating. but ken dorsey did rise to the occasion like we thought he would (except for the interception at the end of the game) and Kevan Barlow managed to hold on to the ball en route to a nice rushing performance. but now, we look forward to shawn alexander and the seattle seahawks next week.

In close games it is crucial to get a break. The Saints got 3 big breaks in the final minutes. Robertson fumbled, Engelberger dropped a sure game sealing interception (the guy had two freakin hands on the ball and dropped it:mad: ), and then the odd offensive pass interference call on Brandon Lloyd. Terrible start for the Niners. If we got even one of those breaks to go our way, we win. Same thing almost in the Atlanta game, we block a punt, then Barlow fumbled on the first play. Reminds me a lot like last season. Several close game losses that should have been wins.

I don't think Erickson is bad, but the close losses that coulda/shoulda been wins is what I was afraid he'd bring. Despite their faults, Mariucci and Garcia generally won the tight games.

There will be plenty of exciting plays this year, but I'd rather have boring wins than exciting losses.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not disappointed since I've been reading in the papers that the 49ers weren't going to do squat anyway. ;)

Neither Joe Montana or Steve Young won their first starts with the team, either. On the other hand, Jeff Garcia did... I think I'd rather Ken follow in the footsteps of the first two.

I think it's a matter of the new guys learning about each other's strengths and weaknesses, habit and foibles.

I think we'll be fine.

El Duque said:
Dorsey is your quarterback of the future, and he's going to be good. You guys look much better than I thought you would.
Yes he is but Im still woried about his lack of arm strength. Im hoping he can improve that....

slugking50 said:
Yes he is but Im still woried about his lack of arm strength. Im hoping he can improve that....
i wouldn't worry about his arm strenth. he's a rookie, he'll have plenty of time to develop his arm.

slug,

He was on scholarship to Miami. I know that the scouts talk about that incessantly, but there aren't many option QB's down here. Dorsey's arm strength was plenty good enough to hit Andre Johnson for several touchdown passes of over 40 yards in his time with the 'Canes, and I'd say he's got a better arm than Joey Harrington, Chad Pennington, or Rich Gannon, for example. Now Pennington, there's a weak arm, and he does pretty well. I'd put Dorsey's arm strength roughly on par with a Matt Hasselbeck or a Josh McCown, which is plenty strong enough to tear up a defense. Plus, intangibles and intelligence are far more important in a winning quarterback. Remember the one knock on Steve Young coming out of BYU; not enough arm strength. He turned out alright :p.

El Duque said:
slug,

He was on scholarship to Miami. I know that the scouts talk about that incessantly, but there aren't many option QB's down here. Dorsey's arm strength was plenty good enough to hit Andre Johnson for several touchdown passes of over 40 yards in his time with the 'Canes, and I'd say he's got a better arm than Joey Harrington, Chad Pennington, or Rich Gannon, for example. Now Pennington, there's a weak arm, and he does pretty well. I'd put Dorsey's arm strength roughly on par with a Matt Hasselbeck or a Josh McCown, which is plenty strong enough to tear up a defense. Plus, intangibles and intelligence are far more important in a winning quarterback. Remember the one knock on Steve Young coming out of BYU; not enough arm strength. He turned out alright :p.
I was 9 when Young became a pro so I dont remember what they were saying about him then:p

You have a point. Dorsey has the tools, I was/am just concerned that he was like Garcia who had trouble getting the ball to Terrible Odor(Sorry I couldn'y resist;) ) anywhere past 30.

I guess I just have to force myself to like this kid more. Ive loved to root against the Canes for so long its just hard not to:p ;)

Purple Reign said:
BJax24, How come you ain't in class :confused: :mad: !!!
i am in class. i have access to a computer during first period :D
but getting back on subject, in a few years(depending on how well he plays) there could be a quarterback controversy.if they decide to keep rattay