BEE: 49er QB role subject to change

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/10821373p-11739327c.html

49ers' QB roles subject to change

By Jim Jenkins -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, September 21, 2004

SANTA CLARA - It has been largely assumed that once Tim Rattay's right shoulder separation heals, he will be the 49ers' starting quarterback again.

That's not necessarily so, coach Dennis Erickson said Monday.

Asked if Ken Dorsey, Rattay's substitute, could seize the job if he continues to show improvement following a promising starting debut Sunday at New Orleans, the coach said, "Well, that depends on what happens in the next three weeks. If Tim were healthy this weekend and ready to go 100 percent, he's the starter. But as time goes on, we sit and evaluate."

If that qualifies as an early quarterback controversy, so be it, but there will not be a debate this week. Erickson already has named Dorsey, a second-year pro, to start at Seattle on Sunday. Rattay once again will suit up as the backup, if needed, with rookie Cody Pickett serving as the emergency quarterback among a trio of seventh-round draft choices.

Erickson's comments came after Dorsey and Rattay gave brief locker-room interviews in the wake of a 30-27 loss to the Saints, the 49ers' second narrow defeat in as many games.

Rattay started the season opener, won by the Atlanta Falcons 21-19, but had to come out because of the injury to his passing shoulder. Dorsey filled in until he had his throwing shoulder hurt as well. Rattay finished the game. Later, he learned the extent of his injury and had to take several pain-killing injections before the kickoff in New Orleans.

Monday, Rattay, who did only light throwing on the sideline Sunday, indicated his soreness had diminished.

"My movement is getting a little better," he said, offering no timeline for when he'll be ready to play again.

"It's just a kind of wait-and-see kind of deal," he said. "These next couple of days, we'll see how it responds. Right now, it's pretty sore."

As for Dorsey, the former University of Miami star continued to receive positive feedback from teammates for the way he held up in a tight game on the road and in a noisy, domed stadium.

Dorsey's first five passes fell incomplete under heavy pressure en route to a 10-3 halftime deficit. But by midway in the fourth quarter, Dorsey had directed the 49ers to a 27-23 lead and responded again when the Saints went back on top with 1:01 left.

Dorsey had the 49ers on the verge of a win by passing to running back Terry Jackson for a 37-yard gain to the New Orleans 1 with 21 seconds remaining. But the play was nullified by an offensive pass-interference penalty against Brandon Lloyd, a call the 49ers questioned then and after film sessions Monday.

On the next play, Dorsey threw his only interception.

"I thought his performance was really good," Erickson said. "To start with, he was a little shaky. ... But the bottom line is he took (the team) down the field twice for (touchdowns) and had a chance at the end of the game."

Dorsey, low key by nature, refused to toot his own horn.

"I'll do whatever it takes to help the team win," he said. "I mean, I'll hand the ball off all game if I have to. That's just who I am. I just hope everybody else sees that when I'm in the game."

Injury updates - Veteran center Jeremy Newberry will undergo surgery today for what has been generally described as instability in his right kneecap, a procedure that could lead to three months of rehabilitation. ... Starting left tackle Kwame Harris, who left Sunday's game because of a left ankle sprain, was wearing a protective boot Monday and is listed as doubtful to play at Seattle. ... Cornerback Mike Rumph is recovering from a groin injury and might play, Erickson said. ... Cedrick Wilson, a starting wide receiver idled Sunday by a hamstring strain, ran Monday and probably will be back.

The Bee's Jim Jenkins can be reached at jjenkins@ sacbee.com.