30 years ago today (Ricky Berry)

I had just graduated HS. A few months earlier, I was at the game against the Warriors when the KINGS broke the 'then' single game 3-pt record. Ricky Berry was 7 for 10 in that game.

I recall him battling with Derek Smith that season and when Jerry Reynolds started giving him more time, he started to show flashes of becoming a darn good player. His shot was so effortless and silky smooth. I really feel he had the potential to become one of the games all-time best shooters.

Losing Ricky Berry was a huge setback to the franchise. They landed Mitch Richmond a few seasons later, but imagine if they had both!

There's such a very thin line of luck for NBA franchises. I mean, imagine if HS stars were able to come straight out of HS in 1989 as they were able to do just a few years later. The KINGS very likely would have had Shaquille O'Neal with the 1st pick in the 1989 draft. And if the Ricky Berry tragedy hadn't happened that Summer, they just might have had the next up and coming young team -- until Shaq decided to move on after year 5 ;)

Shaq, Ricky Berry, Kenny Smith, Danny Ainge, Wayman Tisdale, Rodney McCray, Antoine Carr, Vinny Del Negro

Not a bad roster. Lots of shooters to go with what would become a dominant big within a couple seasons.

And hell, given Shaq would have come into the league at 18 instead of 21, the KINGS might have still ended up with Lionel Simmons in the 1990 draft and the #3 pick in 1991 that eventually landed them Mitch Richmond. Adding those players into the mix would have made SAC a very formidable team.

Of course there's no telling what would have happened in the 1989 - 1991 seasons and who the KINGS might have ended up with, but, still, having that list of players minus Richmond and Simmons still would have been a lot of fun to see and a lot better than what became reality.

As I said, it's a fine line between good fortune and bad luck.

Early in the morning, I was towing our boat out to Folsom lake to go skiing and heard this on the radio.

Great read. Use your months free read for it.

Tremendous article, BTW.

I had no idea Marc Spears knew him or was a big fan. I remember when it happened selfishly wanting to know what Ricky had written in his letter. Of course it was kept private back then. Thanks to Mr. Spears for now shedding some light on what was written and why he did what he did.

I was a Sophomore at Jesuit doing two-a-days, pretty sure he lived in the neighborhood.

Not like I need more reminders how time has flown. This was horrible when it happened. Even by the last decade's standards, these were some dark years in franchise history.
He just bought the house. Still had the sold sign out front.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ricky Berry's suicide was a tragedy and a huge setback for the Kings. Petrie had gone out and acquired a 1st rd pick to get Berry. I was a season ticket holder then, and I got to see him up close and personal. He reminded me of Reggie Miller with his ability to come flying off a screen at the top of the circle and shoot the ball. He was on his way to becoming a star, and then, his depression got the best of him. It almost crushed Bobby Gerald, who was a close friend of Ricky's.

One always wonders what might have been, not only for us the fans and the Kings, but for Ricky, who was so talented. I started to wonder if the curse of the Indian burial ground actually had some merit. Someone mentioned Derrick Smith. Another, but different disaster. The trade for him set the Kings back at least two years.

Ricky Berry's suicide was a tragedy and a huge setback for the Kings. Petrie had gone out and acquired a 1st rd pick to get Berry. I was a season ticket holder then, and I got to see him up close and personal. He reminded me of Reggie Miller with his ability to come flying off a screen at the top of the circle and shoot the ball. He was on his way to becoming a star, and then, his depression got the best of him. It almost crushed Bobby Gerald, who was a close friend of Ricky's.

One always wonders what might have been, not only for us the fans and the Kings, but for Ricky, who was so talented. I started to wonder if the curse of the Indian burial ground actually had some merit. Someone mentioned Derrick Smith. Another, but different disaster. The trade for him set the Kings back at least two years.
Better put down the Cervesa. Petrie in 1987?

I was a Sophomore at Jesuit doing two-a-days, pretty sure he lived in the neighborhood.

Not like I need more reminders how time has flown. This was horrible when it happened. Even by the last decade's standards, these were some dark years in franchise history.
C/o '97 here.

Met him at LaSalle Thompson's house, he lived a couple houses down. Watched him play Tecmo Bowl. He was my favorite player that year. Talked in the 3rd person a lot haha. So tragic when it happened.