2022 California Classic Day 1 7/2/2022 (Kings vs Warriors 4:30 Pacific, NBATV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At the end of the video, there is some footage of Vivek, Monte and Brown that actually looks like they all like each other and could be a normally functioning front office.
At this point, I kinda have to assume that Monte hasn't been extended purely because his agent wants to get his Scrooge Macduck on when the Kings end up being good this season and he has all the leverage at the negotiating table.

He looked even better than advertised defensively and I thought he looked like an elite defender in college so I was pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately his offense is as bad as his defense is good. If he can just merely develop a shot, this kid is going to be a defensive stopper in the NBA. His offense looked bad in those combine scrimmages from what I've read as well. Strange since he was one of the most efficient shooters in a few different shooting categories in college.

Would love to see him on the floor with Davion. Opposing guards would never score again.

I'm so angry at the NBA TV Europe right now.

I planned my Sunday morning perfectly. I will wake up early to rewind the game and watch it while eating breakfast. In reality. Made the breakfast turned on NBA TV schedule and they are showing Game 1 of the Finals replay not the Kings vs Warriors.

I was so sure that they will show it live, because when I turned it on at midnight they showed the live game between Heat and Lakers.

Off to Youtube to watch the freaking highlights. :rolleyes:

He looked even better than advertised defensively and I thought he looked like an elite defender in college so I was pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately his offense is as bad as his defense is good. If he can just merely develop a shot, this kid is going to be a defensive stopper in the NBA. His offense looked bad in those combine scrimmages from what I've read as well. Strange since he was one of the most efficient shooters in a few different shooting categories in college.

Would love to see him on the floor with Davion. Opposing guards would never score again.
I don't care that it's the first SL game vs a bunch of Warriors scrubs that likely won't see an NBA floor; this dude should have been an easy second round pick. You just don't see many perimeter defenders with those kind of defensive instincts. He was straight up bullying people like Davion was last year. What kind of UDFA has a 2 minute defensive highlight reel in his first game?

And on offense, I think he's a guy who gets significantly better when there's actual creators around him where he gets more set C&S opportunities (and space to shoot it). I don't ever see him being an offensive creator, but can he do the 8-10 PPG on 37% from 3? That seems within reach.

I'll be very interested how he fairs in the G-League with big minutes. With the Kings only having 8 contracts (including Holmes and the 2023 FRP), beyond next season, there's potentially real room on the depth chart if he can impress. Same with Queta.

I don't care that it's the first SL game vs a bunch of Warriors scrubs that likely won't see an NBA floor; this dude should have been an easy second round pick. You just don't see many perimeter defenders with those kind of defensive instincts. He was straight up bullying people like Davion was last year. What kind of UDFA has a 2 minute defensive highlight reel in his first game?

And on offense, I think he's a guy who gets significantly better when there's actual creators around him where he gets more set C&S opportunities (and space to shoot it). I don't ever see him being an offensive creator, but can he do the 8-10 PPG on 37% from 3? That seems within reach.

I'll be very interested how he fairs in the G-League with big minutes. With the Kings only having 8 contracts (including Holmes and the 2023 FRP), beyond next season, there's potentially real room on the depth chart if he can impress. Same with Queta.
He's springy, but I don't see Ellis as someone, who can defend threes until he adds 15 pounds. His offense is just too wild right now. Being an UDFA, two way is probably the best thing that could have happened to him. No expectations.

I had problems distinguishing between Ellis and Steward yesterday. Both were wild af with there handle. Stockton bound.

Entity

Hall of Famer
My favorite welcome to summer league moment for Keegan was when he was set up in the corner and Dj stuard had the ball at 40 ft and Keegan’s defender ran at dj leaving Keegan open nobody within 12 feet and dj shot it it

The only issue has been on screens so far. They've wiped him out but thankfully the help has been playing pretty tight for the most part. They dropped a few times but way better than Walton/Gentry's play drop all game.
Yeah he does a poor job getting over screens. But that could be it’s Summer League. Everything else was pretty good.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I can see why the Spurs liked Murray. His relaxed manner reminds me of a smaller Tim Duncan, except with a better outside shot. Mr. Not-As-Big Fundamental. He is very fundamentally sound. His outside shooting will complement Fox; his cutting will complement Sabonis. Fills the need at the stretch 4. It would be unfair to put him at the 3; that is a bridge too far.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It was so much more enjoyable listening to the Warriors' broadcasters talking about the Kings than last season listening to the Kings' broadcasters talk about the Kings. Can we do a switcheroony? Or maybe have them do double duty announcing Kings' games?

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Maybe Brown could ask Curry for a favor to get the kid up to a decent level on his shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.