1st pre-draft workout for the Kings today

Edit: According the draftexpress, this wasn't the Kings' first workout. They also had in:
on 5/5/06
Juan Jose Barea 5'11" PG, Northeastern, Senior
on 5/15/06
Maurice Ager 6'5" SG, Michigan State, Senior
Mardy Collins 6'6" PG, Temple, Senior
Brandon Bowman 6'8" SF, Georgetown, Senior
James White 6'7" SF, Cincinnati, Senior

According to Hoopshype.com and Draftexpress.com, the Kings are working out Guillermo Diaz today. Below you can find an excerpt from Draftexpress.com's summary of the workout he attended at the 5 Star Pro Training Facility over the weekend http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1301:

"Guillermo Diaz, 6-1 1/2, Junior, PG/SG, Miami

Jonathan Givony, DraftExpress.com

Diaz was only here for one workout as opposed to the two the other players were, meaning it was a little tougher to get a full read on him in this setting. He got off a plane from Miami just an hour before the workout and had not touched a ball in the full two days he was gone for. Regardless, there were some pretty obvious strengths he got to show off.

His athleticism was the main one, something Florida natives such as myself had already seen extensively from him, particularly in his junior year. Diaz was always considered a world-class athlete, and according to Coach Thorpe, is back to his old self with his 44+ inch vertical leap. He was told to go easy with the way he jumped in this particular workout since he was right off the plane and was just about to leave for a grueling week of private workouts, but his explosive first step and overall athleticism was something that could not be missed in this type of setting.

In the drills geared towards creating space on the perimeter, Diaz was outstanding in terms of cutting, changing speeds and directions, using his footwork and just blowing by his man. The raw tools he brought into the gym work wonderfully with the skills Thorpe is working with him on, and these new triple-threat attack moves, shot-fakes, jab-steps, freeze-fakes and hesitation moves add a dimension to his game that makes him even more difficult to guard when you consider how gifted he is already on the perimeter.

His improved ball-handling skills were also quite noticeable. Diaz’s left hand looks just as good as his right does now, both in the way he dribbles as well as finishing around the basket. He absolutely could not be stayed in front of in the one on one portion of the workout, and while the other two players often settled for jump-shots, Diaz was extremely patient in getting his defender on his heels and then just accelerating through the hole the way an NFL tailback would.

His shooting stroke is just as pretty as ever, still featuring that same beautiful high arc, but now with a consistent release point and a better follow through. It wasn’t falling for him particularly well in this workout, though.

Diaz’s competitiveness was evident when the players were matching up with each other in the full court. He absolutely hates to lose and was frustrated by the fact that his 3-point shot was not there. Defensively, he works hard but still has room for improvement in terms of his footwork staying in front of his man on the perimeter. After Kelly hit a prayer of a shot while falling down to give himself the win in one matchup to seven, Diaz hit the padding under the basket so hard he almost broke it.

If his perimeter shot looks as good as we’ve been hearing it has in the month he’s been training here for, Diaz will look fantastic when he begins working out privately for teams, particularly in drills. He’ll measure out a half an inch shorter (6-1 ½) than what he was listed at in college, but will likely impress teams with his combination of explosiveness and perimeter savvy. Diaz is on his way to the West Coast at the moment for a number of workouts, starting with the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday."

Last edited:
I became a fan of Miami this season, and really got to like Diaz especially. If we did draft a guard/PG, I'd definitely dig us getting him. He's a blast.

But on the topic of swingmen, I'm glad they're working out good ones:

Maurice Ager 6'5" SG, Michigan State, Senior
Mardy Collins 6'6" PG, Temple, Senior
Brandon Bowman 6'8" SF, Georgetown, Senior
James White 6'7" SF, Cincinnati, Senior

This isn't the only work-out, btw, they'll have some more.

Really can't see us drafting a SG/SF unless we deal away two of Monia/Garcia/Martin.

W

West_Gunslinger16

OMG! They are going to get guards......... AGAIN!!!!! We are so screwed! We can't win a C wth a missing piece! Yes, we'll get 50 or 60 wins but we are not going to get a C if we're still going to draft the position we barely need. There are lots of talented PGs already in the league now that we can sign.

Its the draft. If you are expecting Geoff Petre to draft based on need, well, then don't get your hopes up. He is going to draft by talent as always. I can't argue with that, I wanted Turiaf last year, and lets just say I am very glad we got Francisco! They'll workout some big men, and I wish we could get Shelden but he isn't going to drop to 19, and we need EXPERIENCE in our frontcourt.

West_Gunslinger16 said:
OMG! They are going to get guards......... AGAIN!!!!! We are so screwed! We can't win a C wth a missing piece! Yes, we'll get 50 or 60 wins but we are not going to get a C if we're still going to draft the position we barely need. There are lots of talented PGs already in the league now that we can sign.
ill be suprised if petrie does draft a 2 or 3, because what we definitely need right now is an athletic, defensive minded 4 or 5 with great height and potential, if not id want him to draft a point guard who has potential to be a spark of the bench.

the only reason why petrie would draft a swingman, would be if martin or garcia got dealt, which i can't see happening, but again who knows...

but dw TDOS is longer than this ONE day of working out, from what it seems to be a workout day for only guards and swingmen...

im assuming they would work out guards and centers/fowards on different days/schedules.

wouldn't seem to make sense if they did train the guards/swingmen and center/fowards... meh i dunno...

anyways, there are many more days petrie will use to workout other prospects, and yes that includes 5's and 4's...

Last edited:
W

West_Gunslinger16

SacTownKid said:
Its the draft. If you are expecting Geoff Petre to draft based on need, well, then don't get your hopes up. He is going to draft by talent as always. I can't argue with that, I wanted Turiaf last year, and lets just say I am very glad we got Francisco! They'll workout some big men, and I wish we could get Shelden but he isn't going to drop to 19, and we need EXPERIENCE in our frontcourt.
I guess that clears up why we don't get any trophy. It isn't Adelman's fault. Neither the current player's fault. It's just the way how we draft. I guess I'm not hoping any trophy next year. Let's just hope some of these GUARDS we're looking at are Kobe or McGrady caliber.

BTW, Turiaf? Yep, Francisco was better.

SacTownKid said:
same here.. i was kinda dissapointed when i saw garcia's name as our pick... i wanted and expected Chris Taft!

hehehe... i actually thought garcia was Rudy Fernandez, but i checked the his profile on nbadraft.net and yeah i thought hmmm lets give this kid a shot, and throughout the season, geoff proved me wrong and convinced me that we drafted the right guy.

he was after all the best prospect when it came to our pick, and i don't think he was expected top fall that far.

I TRUST PETRIE WILL MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION COME DRAFT DAY 2006...

SacTownKid said:
Shelden sucks. Get Leon Powe from Cal. A better rebounder and finisher.

I'm wondering who is conducting the workouts for the kings now that the coaching staff is gone. Are Joe and Gavin out there with Petrie?:eek:

Really can't see us drafting a SG/SF unless we deal away two of Monia/Garcia/Martin. As even without one, there'd be not much time for anyone else.

Also, whoever said Ryan Hollins when Shelden's likely gone, there's also Hilton Armstrong/Saer Sene who fit what we need. Maybe Splitter/O'Bryant/Simmons, latter two are likely gone though. For PGs? I'd definitely like one of Lowry/Rondo/Diaz/Douby.

West_Gunslinger16 said:
I guess that clears up why we don't get any trophy. It isn't Adelman's fault. Neither the current player's fault. It's just the way how we draft. I guess I'm not hoping any trophy next year. Let's just hope some of these GUARDS we're looking at are Kobe or McGrady caliber.

BTW, Turiaf? Yep, Francisco was better.
If you think a #19 pick is going to get us a trophy alone, then you seriously need to re-think the whole situation. If it was a #1 pick, Tim Duncan was in the draft, and we're looking at a SG then I agree. Not the case here. They may draft a big man, there is a whole bunch in the draft this year, but I would rather them pick the most talented player because they'll always have value. A mediocre big man that turns out to be a bust won't.

SacTownKid said:
If you think a #19 pick is going to get us a trophy alone, then you seriously need to re-think the whole situation. If it was a #1 pick, Tim Duncan was in the draft, and we're looking at a SG then I agree. Not the case here. They may draft a big man, there is a whole bunch in the draft this year, but I would rather them pick the most talented player because they'll always have value. A mediocre big man that turns out to be a bust won't.
I agree...while I def. don't think we need a wing player with our current roster, I don't think we should automatically go big just for the sake of getting a big man. We could do that through trades/FA if we don't get our man in the draft. I'm no draft expert, but a lot of the bigs this year scream bust to me. On the other hand, it looks like a lot of the current available PG's this year (Douby, Lowry, Diaz, Rondo)would be capable of stepping in and contibuting right away this year. Either way though I guess your filling a need at C or PG...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
West_Gunslinger16 said:
Whoa. Rein it in a little, cowboy. ;)

Talk about over-reacting. The Kings look at quite a number of players before the draft. There is NO way to predict which ones they'll pick. Plus, as others have said, this isn't the only day of workouts.

Take a breath or something...

It will be fine.

I have a feeling that we will draft a PG this year and this Diaz guy sound like a PG that can score and hustle so in other words energy and spark off the bench.

With our pick, to expect a big, who can make a contibution straight away and address areas that we need addressing is a pretty unreasonable expectation.

I think we will look for a big through the trades and try and get a decent PG in the draft. Thats just my opinon though.

BibityBobtyBoom said:
i would be pretty mad if they kings had to draft one of these guys. I would prefer jordan farmar for backup pg.
I'd like to give Farmar a look too (even though I'm still high on Ronnie Price as the future of the Kings at backup PG), but I get the suspicion he might go a little earlier than people think. He looks kind of like a young Mike Bibby but with better D. Also, the guy played really well in the tourney, and that might have hime going as early as top 10.

Kings113 said:
Really can't see us drafting a SG/SF unless we deal away two of Monia/Garcia/Martin. As even without one, there'd be not much time for anyone else.

Also, whoever said Ryan Hollins when Shelden's likely gone, there's also Hilton Armstrong/Saer Sene who fit what we need. Maybe Splitter/O'Bryant/Simmons, latter two are likely gone though. For PGs? I'd definitely like one of Lowry/Rondo/Diaz/Douby.
I'm a fan of Hilton Armstong. The guy is a shot blocker...something we haven't had since...Yogi Stewart maybe. He also rebounds, plays solid interior D, and can get out and run in the open floor and finish above the rim. I think he'll bring some excitement to the Kings as a backup center.

Not known for back to the basket play though, so if we draft him, the lion's share of the looks on the low block will go to Shareef. But, if he can consistently hit the 10-12 ft jumper and clean up the ofensive glass, he's fine by me.

yeah, keep in mind that this is just a list of workouts completed or known to be scheduled as of yesterday. There is a lot of time before the draft night, so there will be many more workouts to come.

W

West_Gunslinger16

SacTownKid said:
Last time I saw the Kings they had a chance against the Spurs. The only thing they lack was the stupid big man who will clog up the lane, give superstar 4-5 players hard time and stop the shooting/layup drill. WE HAVEN'T GOT ANY at that time. If you're going to say Miller, you're kidding right? No, I don't have to re-think my whole statement. If you guys like SGs or another set of PGs that's fine maybe they are that good to be #19 but I just hope we get that big we always dream.:rolleyes:

P.S. Have you watched SA vs. DAL the other day? You might wanna rethink about getting Guards again. Man, Duncan looked stupid.;)

EDIT: No, I didn't think a #19 alone can get us a trophy but rather giving us a bigger chance of getting one. Not saying one man can get it, but only make a difference.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Draft the best big available. Don't draft the best player available, if that player is a swing man. A swing guy coming here won't play much so they won't get their opportunity to shine or build value. You’re looking at positions that will be manned by Martin/Garcia/Artest, possibly Monia and Bonzi. That's a lot of players to beat out. And if he succeeds, somebody loses, so it evens itself out. Draft the best big available. If he is a bust, take your loss and move on.

We'll cry about it 3-4 years from now if we f-up.

As far as the workouts, they aren't an indication of who we're interested in as first rounders. The staff could be looking at them for summer league or as a second rounder. There is no telling.

Last edited:
IMO, we should draft a need, but be flexible too. Our needs our C and PG. If a PG is available and he is clearly better than the big men left on the board, go with the PG. Just my thoughts...