“RUN IT BACK!” / Monte needs to fix this.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Can we now admit this was an absolutely massive blunder? Like, how in the world did last year’s performance make anyone believe this team was going to make forward progress? As many predicted, the team didn’t live up to their previous heights. Other teams got better. We got less healthy. Essentially an entire year was punted on the hope chemistry and internal growth was the key to a massive leap forward.

Monte needs to earn his goodwill back in big time this offseason. There needs to be big time changes. He’s hamstrung by the pick not conveying. He’s hamstrung by the cap. It’s not going to be easy. He pushed his chips in with this team for some reason, and they are not close to it. Imagine the nightmare scenario Monk gets the bag from someone else?

We have a foundation with Fox and Sabonis. But they need big help to be a contender. Is Keegan really going to be that guy? This season was not inspiring, I have faith but not necessarily third-star faith.

You’re the award winning GM, Monte. The ball is in your court. The seat isn’t hot yet, but when it’s said and done there’s a very possibly chance we look at the “RUN IT BACK” offseason might be where it began to crumble down. I want him to prove me wrong. I want to be more invested next year. I want to feel passion for this team.

Get out there and do your thing.

Never ever ever ever would have seen this thread coming. You made it a point to show how ambivalent you were to this team all year, yet now you're trying to take a victory lap? Whatever man

What's always lost on me is these sort of idea threads never really show what we should have done differently? What was the solution that was an actual realistic play we could have made?

The two moves I would have changed is the 24 pick for cap space to ink Domas (although I do get it) and I would have thrown the HB money to Grant Williams. But again, who knows if Grant Williams was even an option? The pick for cap space was in our control though, so I that is something you could knock Monte for and count as a loss for him.

This season wasn't a total loss, but the I think ultimately Monk and Huerter's injurys; both of whom were focal points of our offense, did us in here down the stretch. Keegan drastically improved, we found our future starting 2 in Keon Ellis and Davion Mitchell proved he's a real NBA rotation player.

Gotta get Monk back and have to repackage Huerter and HB into something else this off-season. Those are the three points I'll be looking for this off-season to consider it a "success" or not. At least 2 of those 3 need to get done.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Never ever ever ever would have seen this thread coming. You made it a point to show how ambivalent you were to this team all year, yet now you're trying to take a victory lap? Whatever man

What's always lost on me is these sort of idea threads never really show what we should have done differently? What was the solution that was an actual realistic play we could have made?

The two moves I would have changed is the 24 pick for cap space to ink Domas (although I do get it) and I would have thrown the HB money to Grant Williams. But again, who knows if Grant Williams was even an option? The pick for cap space was in our control though, so I that is something you could knock Monte for and count as a loss for him.

This season wasn't a total loss, but the I think ultimately Monk and Huerter's injurys; both of whom were focal points of our offense, did us in here down the stretch. Keegan drastically improved, we found our future starting 2 in Keon Ellis and Davion Mitchell proved he's a real NBA rotation player.

Gotta get Monk back and have to repackage Huerter and HB into something else this off-season. Those are the three points I'll be looking for this off-season to consider it a "success" or not. At least 2 of those 3 need to get done.
The issue for Monte is now about balance. How does he build a roster that can both defend at this level and score close to what they were? They tried to score their way into being a legit playoff team, didn't work come playoff time last year. They are now defending and have a nice little core there with Keon and Keegan. Monte has work to do but through almost pure luck he might be close to as good as it gets to fix this. Running it back again isn't an option now though.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Can you imagine the existential angst on this board if both Sabonis AND Monk were free agents going into this summer though?

There isn't much of a gap between the team's 5th best player and 14th best player. McGee was a rotation player, then Len. Barnes can be outplayed by Lyles. Duarte was starting ahead of Huerter, and eventually was behind Keesler Edwards. They were all ahead of Sasha, who was playing important minutes tonight after being a DNP behind Colby Jones. Would anyone have guessed Davion Mitchell would finish the season the way he did?

The roster is a mess.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Fox and Domas are still a legit duo.

I think with Keegan it's just confidence, I'm still a believer in his high ceiling, especially after seeing his two-way chops and the emergence of 3 level scoring this season.

I'm hoping we keep Monk. Ellis's emergence as an upgrade over Huerter is great.

HB and Huerter need to be upgraded. Kevin was awful this season, and while HB had his moments, he also did his usual disappearing act in plenty of games and is generally an atrocious defender. If we can't trade them, they might be pretty useful off the bench for us.

The onus is definitely on McNair this summer. With how tight the West was and us juuuuust missing out on the top 6th, I think a hardnosed vet signing could be just what we need - basically a more effective Barnes type.

It takes a few seasons of continuity to mature into a contender (unless you cheat like the Lakers), hopefully we get there with this core - Wemby is probably going to own the league for a decade anyways once our group starts to age out.

Can we now admit this was an absolutely massive blunder? Like, how in the world did last year’s performance make anyone believe this team was going to make forward progress? As many predicted, the team didn’t live up to their previous heights. Other teams got better. We got less healthy. Essentially an entire year was punted on the hope chemistry and internal growth was the key to a massive leap forward.

Monte needs to earn his goodwill back in big time this offseason. There needs to be big time changes. He’s hamstrung by the pick not conveying. He’s hamstrung by the cap. It’s not going to be easy. He pushed his chips in with this team for some reason, and they are not close to it. Imagine the nightmare scenario Monk gets the bag from someone else?

We have a foundation with Fox and Sabonis. But they need big help to be a contender. Is Keegan really going to be that guy? This season was not inspiring, I have faith but not necessarily third-star faith.

You’re the award winning GM, Monte. The ball is in your court. The seat isn’t hot yet, but when it’s said and done there’s a very possibly chance we look at the “RUN IT BACK” offseason might be where it began to crumble down. I want him to prove me wrong. I want to be more invested next year. I want to feel passion for this team.

Get out there and do your thing.
Montes not trading 2 nickles into a quarter. He is going to have to prove he can draft length in the back end of the lottery.

The issue for Monte is now about balance. How does he build a roster that can both defend at this level and score close to what they were? They tried to score their way into being a legit playoff team, didn't work come playoff time last year. They are now defending and have a nice little core there with Keon and Keegan. Monte has work to do but through almost pure luck he might be close to as good as it gets to fix this. Running it back again isn't an option now though.
Pure luck how? Because he scouted and developed Keon?

I'll be a happy Kings fan if Monte removed the following players from the roster:

Barnes - I am tired of seeing his weak non-aggressive defense on the floor, individually and team wise. There is a reason Ingram got it going every time he play the Kings because Barnes is a non-factor. The Kings are much better if they can find a lengthy player that play D and shoot. Even better if that player can play help team defense. Barnes is worst at either. He's killing the Kings out there...c'mon man, can you not see it? He is one of the reasons Pelicans exploded. He got his shot blocked constantly because he stupidly think that he can just drive to the basket and impose his will like he did in other games. But Pelicans length make him look like a fool.

Mitchell - I am sorry but he doesn't do anything else but shoot 3s... and that's because they leave him open. The fact that he doesn't do much else other than shoot IS THE REASON you cannot afford to have such players on the floor. He has to do more. Okay, he play great D...but actually this year...his defense wasn't that great...at time he got owned by guys attacking the basket...his backpedaling and defending without stripping the ball left a lot to desire. He's another short player that Kings need to remove. Got to add length.

Huerter - Great offensive juggernaut player but once again...can be a poor man defender. I rather start Keon Ellis now that we taste a sample and how much he change the team defense. Let Ellis work out with Fox this summer to improve his game like Keegan did last summer with Fox. Start Ellis next year.

Beside Fox, Sabonis, Murray, Monk, Ellis....everyone else can be removed

It might take running it back one more season before monte can make any major moves. He's hand strung by draft pick owed to the hawks to move and no cap space to work with. Huerter and Barnes could maybe serve as appealing trade pieces in 2025-2026 since they will be expiring contracts and this could be their best chance to get a real difference maker. Other than that I'm not sure what other moves he could make that would make a big difference next season. Minor moves just won't do it.

It might take running it back one more season before monte can make any major moves. He's hand strung by draft pick owed to the hawks to move and no cap space to work with. Huerter and Barnes could maybe serve as appealing trade pieces in 2025-2026 since they will be expiring contracts and this could be their best chance to get a real difference maker. Other than that I'm not sure what other moves he could make that would make a big difference next season. Minor moves just won't do it.
That'll be sad if they came back next year with the same roster. If they can trade Barnes, Mitchell and Huerter for someone like Kuminga, GPII...i'll be a happy man.

Last edited:
The FO gave him a guaranteed contract BEFORE those injuries and his breakout. They knew what they had.
Yeah, but we're literally talking about Keon being a starting player and part of the core here at SG and the breakout came in March/April and gave him a solidified position. He had opportunity with Fox out earlier in the year but as a PG. Those injuries essentially pushed him into his actual position and now something people figure as a legit starter.

What bugged me the most was we used our cap to run it back. We knew if this didn’t work, we had no rooms to maneuver.
Well get ready because if Monte re-signs Monk to that max and the Kings keep that pick, they might literally be knocking at the first aprons door with no moves. That means no FA hunting most likely.

I’m as disappointed as anyone about this season, but I stand firm in the belief that Monte was limited in what he could do and had to run it back basically.

Nonetheless, this offseason is huge. We need to acquire a good starting forward, probably a star level guy who can be a second or third scoring option. Funnily enough, if Monk, leaves we can make Huerter the microwave scorer off the bench imo. Would like to also add another bench guy on a MLE if possible, or vet min if not. Preferably someone with size.

If I'm Monte I'm on the horn to the Hawks and saying the pick is theirs along with Barnes for Hunter. Kill two birds with one stone.
imo that isn’t enough of an upgrade. We have shown we can be a top 10 defense as long as the referees call it the same next year. If it was up to me I’m looking for a bucket getting 3 or 4 that can score in a different way than what we already have. I think Monk could be gone so mayne a spark plug offensive player off the bench too. Can Oubre be had for the mid level? Colby takes the reins as the lead bench guard. More size, better defense better rebounding. If we keep the pick I’m trying to get the Knecht kid

Well get ready because if Monte re-signs Monk to that max and the Kings keep that pick, they might literally be knocking at the first aprons door with no moves. That means no FA hunting most likely.
Good news is hopefully nobody else picks on Monk actually being an offensive star. And now you have the perfect bridge player in Keon to plop next to both of them and even play next to them in certain match-ups.

If you get Monk back, I have a lot of confidence this core can explode. Keon just solves so many damn issues with this team and you get a real upside with him and Keegan potentially taking another leap next year.

imo that isn’t enough of an upgrade. We have shown we can be a top 10 defense as long as the referees call it the same next year. If it was up to me I’m looking for a bucket getting 3 or 4 that can score in a different way than what we already have. I think Monk could be gone so mayne a spark plug offensive player off the bench too. Can Oubre be had for the mid level? Colby takes the reins as the lead bench guard. More size, better defense better rebounding. If we keep the pick I’m trying to get the Knecht kid
It might not be but Hunter shows possibility of being more at times. He has these stretches where he shows those Kawhi like skills. Obviously the downside is his injuries. If Keegan steps up a little, Keon a little, Monk is back, and Hunter is a guaranteed 15-17 a night with better defense than Barnes it might be better in truth than pure numbers players. Oubre would be a solid fall back, or even if he can be had on the cheap with or without a trade elsewhere. The more length and athletic ability the merrier.

Good news is hopefully nobody else picks on Monk actually being an offensive star. And now you have the perfect bridge player in Keon to plop next to both of them and even play next to them in certain match-ups.

If you get Monk back, I have a lot of confidence this core can explode. Keon just solves so many damn issues with this team and you get a real upside with him and Keegan potentially taking another leap next year.
Either way, Monte has to clear some salary or make a trade. Ideally Monk is back as your super 6th man and Barnes is upgraded. There is too much salary sitting at the back of the rotation and those guys are the, might play, might not players. Just a waste of money.

They did run it back. So it’s actually quite fitting and appropriate that the ultimate prize of the season ended up being the Kings tying up the Warriors loose end from last season.

Admittedly That felt good, still feels good, and will feel good despite the season ending. A team stuck in the 22-23 season settling a 22-23 score. It was very consequential as well if you listened to Bay Area media the last couple of days.

Little bro knocked out big bro. Thats how the Warriors are accepting it and that’s how I’ll take it. So that’s something this team can hang their hat on if nothing else.

As for the criticism

I didn’t expect moves that would make anybody think the Kings would be contenders this season. However, their flaws were clear last season that simply bringing in cheap rotational players that check certain boxes of athleticism, length, defense with 3 point range would’ve gone a long way.

even a Torrey Craig would’ve told me that Monte was atleast aware that the void would haunt the Kings. Instead he sort of doubled down on what the Kings already had with Duarte and then Sasha. Duarte is far less athletic than TD and the. even Metu moving on without the Kings adding a similar style of player to replace him. Metu was a regular in the Kings rotation last season. A regular in the Kings most successful rotations during the season. So the Kings actually managed to get less lengthy and less athletic over the past summer.

I was really excited for Sasha but my excitement was tempered by the time he was actually signed because both HB and Trey were also returning and it wasn’t going to be as envisioned. In fact, by the time he was signed it just didn’t make sense anymore. I probably should’ve expected that though

Monte didn’t need to make a splash this past offseason. I think a lot of us weren’t asking for foundation altering moves and Monte had reason to believe the 5 guys in their mid 20’s(Domas, Monk, Huerter, Fox, and Keegan) making a leap significant enough to push the team forward from last season.

However, “running it back” with basically the same roster dynamics and role players just seemed like a front office growing too attached to the first team to have a good season in 16 years. Which I expressed concern about before last season ended. Not just with HB but Trey also. They’re good players and good guys but you have to improve your roster and become more dynamic somewhere .

Let’s see what happens this offseason.

They did run it back. So it’s actually quite fitting and appropriate that the ultimate prize of the season ended up being the Kings tying up the Warriors loose end from last season.

Admittedly That felt good, still feels good, and will feel good despite the season ending. A team stuck in the 22-23 season settling a 22-23 score. It was very consequential as well if you listened to Bay Area media the last couple of days.

Little bro knocked out big bro. Thats how the Warriors are accepting it and that’s how I’ll take it. So that’s something this team can hang their hat on if nothing else.

As for the criticism

I didn’t expect moves that would make anybody think the Kings would be contenders this season. However, their flaws were clear last season that simply bringing in cheap rotational players that check certain boxes of athleticism, length, defense with 3 point range would’ve gone a long way.

even a Torrey Craig would’ve told me that Monte was atleast aware that the void would haunt the Kings. Instead he sort of doubled down on what the Kings already had with Duarte and then Sasha. Duarte is far less athletic than TD and the. even Metu moving on without the Kings adding a similar style of player to replace him. Metu was a regular in the Kings rotation last season. A regular in the Kings most successful rotations during the season. So the Kings actually managed to get less lengthy and less athletic over the past summer.

I was really excited for Sasha but my excitement was tempered by the time he was actually signed because both HB and Trey were also returning and it wasn’t going to be as envisioned. In fact, by the time he was signed it just didn’t make sense anymore. I probably should’ve expected that though

Monte didn’t need to make a splash this past offseason. I think a lot of us weren’t asking for foundation altering moves and Monte had reason to believe the 5 guys in their mid 20’s(Domas, Monk, Huerter, Fox, and Keegan) making a leap significant enough to push the team forward from last season.

However, “running it back” with basically the same roster dynamics and role players just seemed like a front office growing too attached to the first team to have a good season in 16 years. Which I expressed concern about before last season ended. Not just with HB but Trey also. They’re good players and good guys but you have to improve your roster and become more dynamic somewhere .

Let’s see what happens this offseason.
If the Beal rumors were true and at this point Beal has already spilled those beans so.... then this was plan B because to even complete that trade most likely Huerter was going back and Barnes was waived or had a wink wink deal to sign back cheap before the deal was completed. I think Monte signed back Barnes to trade later. Heck, Monte tried multiple times. Huerter and Barnes were as about a dangled as players can get, haha. Brown pushed them back in the pecking order and/or their play wasn't up to snuff and their value fell. And the proof is in, it was indeed a Trey or Sasha thing. Can't have both in Browns system at this point from the looks of it.