“RUN IT BACK!” / Monte needs to fix this.

The only thing with Monk is how can the Kings handle more than 3 combo G's with a league with this much size on the perimeter? If Brown goes back to guard ball next season I can't see that developing into a contender. If anything 9th seed level might be a hope and wish. Teams have figured out the Kings to an extent. It happens. Now it's time for a step up in talent and need.
With Keon, guard ball worked extremely well. With both Davion Monk Keon and Fox Monk Keon iterations. Small sample, but Keons versatility let's that be a viable option next year

With Keon, guard ball worked extremely well. With both Davion Monk Keon and Fox Monk Keon iterations. Small sample, but Keons versatility let's that be a viable option next year
Out of the Kings top 4 five man units that got actual time the only negative one was Fox, Monk, Keon, Keegan, and Domas. I think Fox, Monk, and Keon can work if that's the guard makeup, but adding in a Davion or another small guard is what tips it.

Like keeping Kessler Edwards is going to make a difference?

Obviously, injuries to Monk and Heurter hurt. And since the Kings already owe a #1 pick to Atlanta, for Heurter-that the Kings seem to want to get rid of-we have more problems getting better. And to re-sign Monk, it will take a bundle.

Biggest mistake was that the Kings had 40 mil available to sign a big free agent, last off-season. That was the time to make a big splash. Instead, they ran it back by extended Domas and Barnes. This was the one opportunity to add a player, that could really make a difference. I actually think that Vivek made this decision, rather than Monte.

Accordingly, this is the Kings level for the foreseeable future. One piece of good news is, I think the Warriors are in worse shape.
not disagreeing but I will say a Kessler shooting 40% on catch and shoot 3’s (if he could) would make a huge difference. That kid can guard 1-4.

Out of the Kings top 4 five man units that got actual time the only negative one was Fox, Monk, Keon, Keegan, and Domas. I think Fox, Monk, and Keon can work if that's the guard makeup, but adding in a Davion or another small guard is what tips it.
Keon is too small to guard the Ingrams of this world.

Yeah I didn't look into 5 man units, because the 3 man sample were so small to begin with. I can't imagine that top unit was over like 20 minutes?

Danny Ainge has a gimmick and that gimmick is hoarding draft assets and doing juuuuuust enough to get mentioned in trade rumors to satisfy his fan base until those assets start depreciating value.

also players not wanting to go to Utah is a legitimate thing.
Ainge built one champ and largely built the roster in Boston that is winning. He reached for Brown and got Tatum and our first.

Yeah I didn't look into 5 man units, because the 3 man sample were so small to begin with. I can't imagine that top unit was over like 20 minutes?
The season was so segmented as well obviously so it's hard to truly judge based on things that weren't consistent in the first place. One thing that was pretty consistent is that as the year went along it seemed like Brown was tossing the small 3 and 4 guard combos quicker and quicker as they started to falter.

The only thing with Monk is how can the Kings handle more than 3 combo G's with a league with this much size on the perimeter? If Brown goes back to guard ball next season I can't see that developing into a contender. If anything 9th seed level might be a hope and wish. Teams have figured out the Kings to an extent. It happens. Now it's time for a step up in talent and need.
as it stands now they don’t have the wing talent to do anything about that. if they can upgrade at the expense of monk, sure.

as it stands now they don’t have the wing talent to do anything about that.
Cement your cap with an overload of G's, watch Brown push them to the end of the bench next year instead of Sasha/Edwards, and Monte will have very few options to do anything about that for the duration of this core most likely. The issue is simple, nice shiny objects at the end of your rotation in the end don't do you much good other than making it look good on paper. The Kings had needs on defense last season and eventually Keon got a chance along with Davion. Shocker, the Kings started to be able to have a chance in games that they scored less than 124 points in. It's a push and pull thing right now. How do they find that little bit of offense they're now missing?

Actually, for the near term, they might not be since both teams are kind of at the same level of success ATM. They obviously are more aged at their talent core though so if they want to go for it, it has to be now. No potential partial reset or re-tooling like the Kings might be able to do in a couple of years. The Warriors will have to cut some of that dynasty off but they are probably better positioned to make trades than the Kings unfortunately since this draft doesn't appear to have a ton of value. Hopefully teams start getting interested with this crop of players when the draft rolls around and workouts really blow teams out of the water. The Warriors have Kuminga, Wiggins, and some wiggle room to at least use their MLE by letting go of players like Klay, CP3, and Looney. If the Kings don't make moves it could mean going into the first apron just to keep this roster together.
Warriors
Most expensive roster in NBA. 2nd apron of luxury tax. No 1st round pick this year. Klay coming off 43mil this year wants multiple years and I suspect min $20 mil per. Draymond is 34 and signed $77mil , Steph is 36 owed 115 mil. Wiggins locked up for $85 mil more. Wishful thinking in finding someone to win a championship with this roster. Where are the chips?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Let's not twist what Ainge did in Boston and might do in Utah (unlikely, imho) with what Presti did, which was provide the Hinkie process blueprint, now on version 3.0.

Either way, all of those models would at this point basically be cashing in Fox and Domas for picks and starting over where we were in 2017, something I don't think this fan base would find acceptable.

Warriors
Most expensive roster in NBA. 2nd apron of luxury tax. No 1st round pick this year. Klay coming off 43mil this year wants multiple years and I suspect min $20 mil per. Draymond is 34 and signed $77mil , Steph is 36 owed 115 mil. Wiggins locked up for $85 mil more. Wishful thinking in finding someone to win a championship with this roster. Where are the chips?
They have options to reduce their cap significantly just by waiving CP3 though. Winning a championship for both the Warriors and Kings right now looks like an uphill climb. The Kings obviously have more time to see how things shake out which is good though. The thing is Kings fans would be just fine with a 2nd round showing, the Warriors are championship or bust? Well, I think maybe the Kings need to put their money where their mouth is and think the same way. Brown said contention prior to this season. Well, your call now Monte.

Let's not twist what Ainge did in Boston and might do in Utah (unlikely, imho) with what Presti did, which was provide the Hinkie process blueprint, now on version 3.0.

Either way, all of those models would at this point basically be cashing in Fox and Domas for picks and starting over where we were in 2017, something I don't think this fan base would find acceptable.
Monte would want a 4 year extension before he flipped them lol

They're gonna have to create creative this offseason. Honestly replacing Barnes w/ a more athletic Trey Lyles sort of guy would go a LONG ways. It's hard to improve elsewhere really unless they're gonna move on from key pieces. A guy like John Collins is intriguing to me; I'd think salaries kinda match with him & Barnes. Collins isn't known as a defender but offers way more size and versatility next to Sabonis and also would be a very intriguing small ball 5 option perhaps even next to Lyles. Monk-Collins pick & roll would be a thing of beauty. If you keep Len, Len's most productive season in Atlanta was next to Collins too ... Kings had injuries this year but were fortunate Sabonis wasn't injured at all; they've got to get another big that can play the 4 & the 5 in case of injury.

Also for the love of God, if they keep Len - explore the Len & Sabonis tandem a bit. This comes down to coaching, and a lack thereof that it wasn't used at all. Yes we know Len & Sabonis are inconsistent shooters but the Kings literally run the most dribble hand offs in the league. If no one's covering 1 of them on the perimeter, you can do a dribble hand off to free up a shooter. There are a lot of possibilities but the fact they weren't explored this season - even when the size of that tandem would have helped during several games - is a flaw of the coaching staff.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Monte would want a 4 year extension before he flipped them lol
There’s also not really anywhere to flip them to at this point since pretty much all of the teams actually trying to win have already moved all their assets for pieces as is aside from like the Thunder (who sat on their assets so long that there’s not quite as much value in them as they used to have) and Magic.

Monte needs to realize that trying to emulate the Warriors blue print without having world class shooters like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson is only going to get you so far and in the Kings case its the #9 seed and out of the playoffs this year.

I think Monte needs to revamp his whole approach to building this team. Without world class shooters like Curry and Klay on the team, depending on your team to out pass and out shoot other teams is not a blue print for success. Your success would be dependent on good shooting nights by all your players in every game and that's not going to happen. We have seen how fast the Kings shooting can go cold and they can't dig themselves out of those holes.

Monte needs to get longer, bigger and more athletic this off season. They need to stop relying on "spraying 3s" all game and start taking the ball to the hole and getting players that has the size and length to defend big wings. This team is TOO SOFT, if their shot isn't falling, they get smashed in the mouth, they typically fold. The Kings don't have that extra gear and toughness to play bully ball and take the ball to the hole to break out of scoring slumps. They keep settling for the low percentage jumper and things just snowball so much that they constantly find themselves in 15-20 points holes before trying to dig themselves out of it in the last 6 minutes of games. And we have witness this time and time again, they always fall short and lose these games.

If I were Monte, I'm looking for size, length and athleticism in the draft and in trade/free agency. I'm making every player not named Fox, Sabonis and Keegan (and Keon to an extent) available in trade. I'm making priority #1 to re-sign Monk as he is the one player I have no question about his swagger and confidence. We need more players with Monk's toughness, aggressivness and swagger and we absolutley need to re-sign him! Monte needs to get aggressive and make some moves to get bigger and longer. Another season with essentially the same roster is going to have the same results as this year.

Can you imagine the existential angst on this board if both Sabonis AND Monk were free agents going into this summer though?
I think the fear of someone taking Sabonis is drastically overstated. In a large number of corners of the league coaches don’t believe you can win in the playoffs with Sabonis. He doesn’t protect the rim and he can’t make a shot past 10 ft in the play-offs. It’s one reason the coaches didn’t name him an all-star.

the bigger problem is his contract could prove to be a real problem which is why Monte needs to keep his picks and hit on one or two.

Monte needs to realize that trying to emulate the Warriors blue print without having world class shooters like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson is only going to get you so far and in the Kings case its the #9 seed and out of the playoffs this year.

I think Monte needs to revamp his whole approach to building this team. Without world class shooters like Curry and Klay on the team, depending on your team to out pass and out shoot other teams is not a blue print for success. Your success would be dependent on good shooting nights by all your players in every game and that's not going to happen. We have seen how fast the Kings shooting can go cold and they can't dig themselves out of those holes.

Monte needs to get longer, bigger and more athletic this off season. They need to stop relying on "spraying 3s" all game and start taking the ball to the hole and getting players that has the size and length to defend big wings. This team is TOO SOFT, if their shot isn't falling, they get smashed in the mouth, they typically fold. The Kings don't have that extra gear and toughness to play bully ball and take the ball to the hole to break out of scoring slumps. They keep settling for the low percentage jumper and things just snowball so much that they constantly find themselves in 15-20 points holes before trying to dig themselves out of it in the last 6 minutes of games. And we have witness this time and time again, they always fall short and lose these games.

If I were Monte, I'm looking for size, length and athleticism in the draft and in trade/free agency. I'm making every player not named Fox, Sabonis and Keegan (and Keon to an extent) available in trade. I'm making priority #1 to re-sign Monk as he is the one player I have no question about his swagger and confidence. We need more players with Monk's toughness, aggressivness and swagger and we absolutley need to re-sign him! Monte needs to get aggressive and make some moves to get bigger and longer. Another season with essentially the same roster is going to have the same results as this year.
the problem is it’s really hard to trade small for big in the NBA. Bigs are scarce and people typically only trade for other bigs. It’s why drafting BPA as a bunch of 6’3” guards is a bad idea.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Interesting article but this makes me LOL
Not everyone is convinced, however. “I just don’t like the way they’re built,” said a rival scout of the Kings. “They’re running everything through [Sabonis] as if he was Jokic, but he’s not Jokic. He’s a hell of a player, but he can’t shoot, so he can’t really stretch the floor. It makes it a really static type of basketball.” The scout also suggested that the Kings need a more traditional point guard next to Fox rather than a shooter, to allow him to thrive more off the ball.
That is literally the < 30 win team Hali-Fox no Domas recipe.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ain’t nothing wrong with running it through Sabonis. Just need much better help at the 2, 3, and entire bench. Plus Keegan taking a massive leap. Really solid 3&D role player won’t be enough. Needs to be an All-Star.

There’s a roadmap. It’s just going to be hard to get there. Need good luck and creativity from Monte.

I understand the title of the thread, and also Monte used that language, but both are disingenuous.

They didn't choose to run it back. They didn't choose to not make deadline moves.

They chose not to overpay for something, to be patient in this process, and not to hamstring a team that will always have a thinner margin to improve than most teams.

I think we will see more aggression this offseason than we have in the past. I don't know what that ultimately looks like. There is no way the FO thinks this is a high-level playoff team as constructed. Hell, 1/3 of the team was on the trade block during the season. But they weren't going to give them away.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I understand the title of the thread, and also Monte used that language, but both are disingenuous.

They didn't choose to run it back. They didn't choose to not make deadline moves.

They chose not to overpay for something, to be patient in this process, and not to hamstring a team that will always have a thinner margin to improve than most teams.

I think we will see more aggression this offseason than we have in the past. I don't know what that ultimately looks like. There is no way the FO thinks this is a high-level playoff team as constructed. Hell, 1/3 of the team was on the trade block during the season. But they weren't going to give them away.
I think that's fair. Essentially, we're going to see this upcoming off-season what not overpaying and patience bought us.

List of potentially realistic star forward trade targets:

• Paul George - Heavily rumored to be leaving, although he’s been linked with Philly.
• Brandon Ingram - Rumors of Pelicans splitting apart the BI/Zion duo this summer.
• Mikal Bridges - Nets may move off of him to get some draft capital back to get their rebuild going. Would come at a big price though, he’d be coveted by a lot of teams.
• Lauri Markannen - If Utah wants to fully buy in on the tank and cash in on his value, they nay do it this summer. Not sure it’s likely though.
• Julius Randle - If NYK makes a trade for a big star, Randle may be moved to make room. Would probably be the worst fit for us of all the options.

I think Ingram is the most realistic of the options, and I believe he’s a FA in 2025 so may not be as steep of a price. I’d package the 2024/2028/2030 picks plus a swap or two if they want, and fill the salary necessary in. It’d be a risk, but the Kings are at a point where they will need to take some type of risk to solidify themselves as a regular Playoff team.
Doubt Paul George would come here. Agree that Julius Randle is not a good fit. Would love any of the other three though.

I think that's fair. Essentially, we're going to see this upcoming off-season what not overpaying and patience bought us.
not overpaying???
Sabonis
41.8M
44.9M
48.1M
51.2M

that is a lot of money to pay for a player that can’t lead you out of the first round or play-in of the play-offs.