NFL 2023-2024 Thread

He like Brock and Brady was a competent game manager.

Turns out that might be more important than being able to break a play once in a while for 80 yards.

Ravens super QB MVP blah blah blah has a defense that holds the Chiefs to 17 and can't frickin win. Let's talk about that.
So so good that Lamar is going to win MVP with a lame-duck 10 point game in the AFC championship while Brock leads a historic NFC championship game comeback.

It was so awesome to see how emotional big Trent Williams was after the game. He is so happy to be going to his first super bowl. The niners gotta find a way to win this.
My girl is a huge vikings fan and she was so into this game! We went outside here in carmichael aftert the final gun to listen to the celebratory fireworks. What a great evening!
I'm hoping the defense shows up like that 1st series in the 3rd Q - you could see all the players selling out on that forced fumble. I'm really hoping to see that intensity going in on defense sustained. Do not let Chiefs Pacheco high-step parade.

I never want to hear anyone ever call for Shanahan’s job again. People are aware that he’s one of the best coaches in the league right? Despite our lack of rings, this has been a very dominant run by Shanahan, best of any coach outside of 3-4 guys. Do you know how hard it is to reach the NFCCG, let alone 4 times in 5 years?

You would think the lack of success with the Kings would allow fans to appreciate all of this winning…

Wilks? Now… that’s a different story
I'm not calling for Shanahan's firing, but his clock management and specifically timeout usage is a failure. And I don't think anyone has warned him so. He will not think twice using his 2nd half timeouts early like halloween candy to kids. And meanwhile leave 3 timeouts on the clock in the 1st half. Rams McVeigh with exactly the same problem helped cost the Rams vs Lions. Your timeouts are the coaches tools to be used judiciously in the 1st half, and saved in the 2nd half. And corollaries to that, do not challenge in the 2nd half unless near certain of the outcome.. 1st hafl, go for 1 at least if presented and confident. And, do not use both challenges in the 1st half unnless near certain and able to pick up the 3rd challenge.

The absolutely insane thing about Brock is that by all accounts he definitely should not be as good as he is. All his measurables are pretty those of any random average dude you’d pull from the stands and he doesn’t quite have a bazooka arm like some of the other small guys like Burrow or Kyler and yet the dude just wins.
people don’t think QB wins should really be a stat and yet the careers of the Tom Brady’s and Joe Montanas of the world would suggest otherwise.
No, that's exaggeration, he's not some random guy in the stands - he might make it look that way, but he's certainly more athletic than average. His acceleration and change of direction alone look far above average. And willing to bet his strength too. And his arm strength is good enough compared to his peers.

He like Brock and Brady was a competent game manager.

Turns out that might be more important than being able to break a play once in a while for 80 yards.

Ravens super QB MVP blah blah blah has a defense that holds the Chiefs to 17 and can't frickin win. Let's talk about that.
The outcome is a recycle every year for the Ravens....that pick he threw in the endzone was coffins

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Also while we're bucking the narrative about Purdy, I think he actually has a pretty tight wardrobe. Yeah it's not blingy but he's put together and could be a catalog model with his fits.

I'm not calling for Shanahan's firing, but his clock management and specifically timeout usage is a failure. And I don't think anyone has warned him so. He will not think twice using his 2nd half timeouts early like halloween candy to kids. And meanwhile leave 3 timeouts on the clock in the 1st half. Rams McVeigh with exactly the same problem helped cost the Rams vs Lions. Your timeouts are the coaches tools to be used judiciously in the 1st half, and saved in the 2nd half. And corollaries to that, do not challenge in the 2nd half unless near certain of the outcome.. 1st hafl, go for 1 at least if presented and confident. And, do not use both challenges in the 1st half unnless near certain and able to pick up the 3rd challenge.
Why are you exactly worried about the one timeout he used in 2nd half?

Look at the dynamics of the game and the situational football. When we called the timeout, the team had scored 17pts unanswered. The 49ers were rolling and the Lions couldn't do anything right on offense. The entire momentum was flipped to the 49ers. When Kyle used his timeout, the score was tied at 24-24 and the 9ers had the ball with 12:57 left in the 4th quarter on 2nd & 6 at the Lion's 23. It was a very important down and point in the game for the 49ers to take the lead. I have no issue with Shanahan calling a timeout here to get the right play in so we can make sure we come away this drive with points.

What in the world are you trying to save up the timeouts for? We weren't playing from behind anymore at that point. There's only 13mins left in the game. The 49ers have all the momentum in the world, and the Lions haven't been able to generate any type of offense. There's no reason for you to save your timeouts in a situation like this. If you're behind by 14pts, then yes, save the timeouts in case you need them to stop the clock in the last 2mins. But at this point in the game, we didn't need all 3 of them anymore.

I think you're seeing a problem that isn't really there. Kyle has never had poor clock management this season.

Kyle has only challenged 3 calls this year with none of them coming in the playoffs.. so that point doesn't really matter either.

Why are you exactly worried about the one timeout he used in 2nd half?

Look at the dynamics of the game and the situational football. When we called the timeout, the team had scored 17pts unanswered. The 49ers were rolling and the Lions couldn't do anything right on offense. The entire momentum was flipped to the 49ers. When Kyle used his timeout, the score was tied at 24-24 and the 9ers had the ball with 12:57 left in the 4th quarter on 2nd & 6 at the Lion's 23. It was a very important down and point in the game for the 49ers to take the lead. I have no issue with Shanahan calling a timeout here to get the right play in so we can make sure we come away this drive with points.

What in the world are you trying to save up the timeouts for? We weren't playing from behind anymore at that point. There's only 13mins left in the game. The 49ers have all the momentum in the world, and the Lions haven't been able to generate any type of offense. There's no reason for you to save your timeouts in a situation like this. If you're behind by 14pts, then yes, save the timeouts in case you need them to stop the clock in the last 2mins. But at this point in the game, we didn't need all 3 of them anymore.

I think you're seeing a problem that isn't really there. Kyle has never had poor clock management this season.

Kyle has only challenged 3 calls this year with none of them coming in the playoffs.. so that point doesn't really matter either.
Simple, you don't know the outcome of the game; always always assume you need it.