Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

Well obviously Barnes play as of late makes me wonder. What’s up and is it sustainable.
At the moment, a little less keen to include him in trades unless it’s a clear upgrade. Is there anyway to keep him in a adjusted role while still adding say DFS.
I would say the easy sustainable part is just including him in the offense again like last year. Even if just means 7-9 shots a game with the occasional outburst like last night

DFS has a small contract so matching is easy, no need to include Barnes as my guess is the nets would want picks and not care to take HB back. We shall see

I would say the easy sustainable part is just including him in the offense again like last year. Even if just means 7-9 shots a game with the occasional outburst like last night

DFS has a small contract so matching is easy, no need to include Barnes as my guess is the nets would want picks and not care to take HB back. We shall see
Yeah, 14 million a year, Huerter alone or Mitchell and Lyles combined should match salaries.

I like Lyles, just throwing that out there and thinking if we were to keep Barnes and add DFS where will Lyles get minutes, small back up center perhaps.
Monks recent play is a bit concerning, but as someone mentioned earlier Murrays ability to guard guards opens up possibilities.

A lot of ideas work for DFS because of his relatively small salary.

For salary purposes (adding whatever picks you need) you could do:

1) Huerter straight up for DFS
2) Davion and Duarte for DFS
3) Davion and Javale for DFS
4) Davion and Sasha for DFS
5) Huerter and Davion for DFS and Royce

Some of these would obviously need more picks, but they could take Huerter as a plug and play shooter, Davion and Sasha as prospects, or they could take a swing on Davion and some cap relief in the form Javale and Duarte who have much shorter contracts.

If you did the first, you might be looking at a jumbo rotation

Sabonis/Len or Javale
DFS/Lyles
Barnes/Duarte or Kessler or Colby (10th man probably not in the rotation)
Keegan/Monk
Fox/Davion or Keon

Keegan's ability to track guards, and DFS' ability to match up 2-5 make this a workable lineup, and even though DFS isn't the shooter that Huerter is, he is definitely a threat. Plus, you have plenty of offense off the bench with Monk and Lyles, and can still go small with multiple of Fox, Davion, Keon, or Monk in at the same time. You also would still see a lot of Keegan at the 3 and 4, since all of these guys can play multiple positions. Tons of flexibility and length on this squad.

Or if you got them to go for a non-Huerter trade, you could go with something like

Sabonis/Len
DFS/Lyles
Keegan/Barnes
Huerter/Monk
Fox/Ellis

Again, plenty of versatility and flexibility since DFS and Keegan can both guard multiple positions.

I kind of like the idea of the first. Keegan as a 2 unlocks a lot of potential length, defense, and rebounding for us. If he can stay with guys like Steph, Shai, Booker, etc... then he can presumably play 20-24 minutes at the 2 each game, and then sliding to 3/4 and letting Monk play the rest of the 2 minutes in a more traditional looking lineup (especially if you need another ball handler/guy who can create offense). But that first lineup makes you very dependent on getting your offensive initiation from Sabonis, Fox, Monk, and Barnes, without many assets to add more offensive versatility.

Sometimes I think players on other teams get overrated. Not that they are bad or anything like that but the reality is Huerter is in the same tier as a DFS, O’Neale, Thybulle, etc. He just plays a different position or his skill set is different.

Those others are defensive oriented while Huerter is offensively skilled. As with a lot of players who go through periods of slumps or below their norm play, the lows should not define these players. Huerter when locked in makes us a dangerous team.

It’s a puzzle to trying to eke out a little more from the roster in deals when you’re trying to make deeper playoff runs.

So in some of these cases, I don’t think Monte is going to throw draft picks into a deal unless it’s a second but most of the names are role players. Grant, Lavine, Kuzma are not role players……the other guys are. Role players for role players when trading for different types of players is the key.

Sometimes I think players on other teams get overrated. Not that they are bad or anything like that but the reality is Huerter is in the same tier as a DFS, O’Neale, Thybulle, etc. He just plays a different position or his skill set is different.

Those others are defensive oriented while Huerter is offensively skilled. As with a lot of players who go through periods of slumps or below their norm play, the lows should not define these players. Huerter when locked in makes us a dangerous team.

It’s a puzzle to trying to eke out a little more from the roster in deals when you’re trying to make deeper playoff runs.

So in some of these cases, I don’t think Monte is going to throw draft picks into a deal unless it’s a second but most of the names are role players. Grant, Lavine, Kuzma are not role players……the other guys are. Role players for role players when trading for different types of players is the key.
This is true but our first rounders should be in the 20’s by 2026 which is the one going out. It’s too hard finding talent that late and spare me the few that have been found but I’ll take my chances on Thybull by trading that first round pick. How many all nba defenders could get drafted that late I’d do Carous as well but I think he’ll demand two firsts. But a guy like Thybull is still young and a great defender would be big having him with Keegan harrasing wing players

This is true but our first rounders should be in the 20’s by 2026 which is the one going out. It’s too hard finding talent that late and spare me the few that have been found but I’ll take my chances on Thybull by trading that first round pick. How many all nba defenders could get drafted that late I’d do Carous as well but I think he’ll demand two firsts. But a guy like Thybull is still young and a great defender would be big having him with Keegan harrasing wing players
Yeah, but Huerter AND a first seems like an overpay

It's a seller's market out there. Unless the Kings can grab an impact role player without overpaying, or snag someone like Jerami Grant without overpaying, their best move is probably to stand pat and wait it out. They maybe take a step backward this season overall, and maybe fail to get passed the first round again, but they can reapproach the trade market in the summer (when the seller's market should cool after the playoffs have sorted out who's for real and who isn't) or see what free agency has on offer after a couple of winning seasons prove that they're not a fluke. I'm not sure moving pretty good players for other teams' pretty good players is going to do enough to move the needle, especially if they have to overpay for the privilege.

No thanks to DFS. He's not even better than the guy he's replacing. Why on earth do you want him?
If you think this I don't know what to say. DFS is one of the more versatile defenders in the league, a good floor spacer, and fits a particular need on this team. He isn't an elite player, but he can is a great role player who can fill a particular need on this team.

Does he put you over the top and make you a title favorite? Probably not. And maybe that is the rub against him. But does he make the team better and a more formidable playoff team? I think so. He and Keegan would be an incredibly long, switchable, defensive oriented presence on the wings, and allow you to have two guys who can actually guard elite offensive players on the wing. Depends on what you are giving up and what assets you would have left after making the move, but in a vacuum it makes a lot of sense.

Exactly, and Barnes is already averaging almost 8 per game. Again, it's the swings of involvement that are the issue. He'll have games where he doesn't just take only 2 shots, he's only getting 2 LOOKS and especially not getting his typical iso looks that get him to the line hence why his and the Kings free throws are down this season to almost the same number. In just two games of play Barnes has finally entered the iso stat charts and if there is enough time he could climb back to his usual top 10-15% percentile of the league although it's probably a little too late to make that kind of turnaround. Domas is looking for him right now and they are giving up some of the spots on the floor they usually put Keegan in especially when it comes to attached to Domas at the start of plays. Keegan has still yet to enter the iso charts in his career and I think the sole reason why is he isn't getting to the line much yet. The interesting thing about Keegan is maybe this might be about getting him more comfortable in the corners as well. He doesn't take many corner 3's and on the right side he's shooting 15%. That side is also the one where Brown usually has him come up off a pin down to the top on DHO. Brown ran that play 3 times in a row in the Warriors game during crunch time.

The problem isn't losing that pick, it's the inability to use that pick in a future deal. The Huerter deal is clearly hamstringing Monte already since he can't trade a 2024 pick. Siakam was nabbed with 2 2024 picks. You go after need guys with high value when you're pretty sure they are literally your last piece. You can more likely find defensive role guys with your exceptions, finding all star, or star talent with the MLE is pretty much impossible.

It's a seller's market out there. Unless the Kings can grab an impact role player without overpaying, or snag someone like Jerami Grant without overpaying, their best move is probably to stand pat and wait it out. They maybe take a step backward this season overall, and maybe fail to get passed the first round again, but they can reapproach the trade market in the summer (when the seller's market should cool after the playoffs have sorted out who's for real and who isn't) or see what free agency has on offer after a couple of winning seasons prove that they're not a fluke. I'm not sure moving pretty good players for other teams' pretty good players is going to do enough to move the needle, especially if they have to overpay for the privilege.
I think the road trip will decide. If things kind of tank a little then getting out of Huerters or the Barnes deal and maybe picking up something of need is workable. What or who that is we'll have to see. If the Nets want a pick haul for role players than just like the Siakam deal, Monte can't play that game unless he can work in a 3rd team to give that up.

If you think this I don't know what to say. DFS is one of the more versatile defenders in the league, a good floor spacer, and fits a particular need on this team. He isn't an elite player, but he can is a great role player who can fill a particular need on this team.

Does he put you over the top and make you a title favorite? Probably not. And maybe that is the rub against him. But does he make the team better and a more formidable playoff team? I think so. He and Keegan would be an incredibly long, switchable, defensive oriented presence on the wings, and allow you to have two guys who can actually guard elite offensive players on the wing. Depends on what you are giving up and what assets you would have left after making the move, but in a vacuum it makes a lot of sense.
And that's exactly why you don't overpay for that asset wise. If you do and you need a star, you don't have the assets. You're done. Monte isn't likely going to have cap space to add that talent at any point in the future so trades is all he's got if he needs talent. As seen with Keon, in a worst case you can draft or just sign undrafted guys and develop defenders. Just like the Mavs did with Finney-Smith.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The problem isn't losing that pick, it's the inability to use that pick in a future deal. The Huerter deal is clearly hamstringing Monte already since he can't trade a 2024 pick.
I feel like this is a strange way to look at it. Monte traded that first for Huerter on purpose, because he wanted Huerter. It's not like we gave up anything else of value, so the cost for Huerter was "one pick + the Stepien Rule consequences + the inability to spend the pick later". That was always known and was definitely taken into account when making the deal.

And that's exactly why you don't overpay for that asset wise. If you do and you need a star, you don't have the assets. You're done. Monte isn't likely going to have cap space to add that talent at any point in the future so trades is all he's got if he needs talent. As seen with Keon, in a worst case you can draft or just sign undrafted guys and develop defenders. Just like the Mavs did with Finney-Smith.
Agree- that is why it depends on the assets. If you can do it for Huerter and some minor draft consideration, you do it. If it is more, then it probably isn't worth it. Not because DFS isn't a quality player, but exactly because he himself isn't likely our final piece.

The problem isn't losing that pick, it's the inability to use that pick in a future deal. The Huerter deal is clearly hamstringing Monte already since he can't trade a 2024 pick. Siakam was nabbed with 2 2024 picks. You go after need guys with high value when you're pretty sure they are literally your last piece. You can more likely find defensive role guys with your exceptions, finding all star, or star talent with the MLE is pretty much impossible.
Doubt we’ll be trading for anything major after this year with Keegan/Fox/Monk needing to get massive deals

https://x.com/o_a_khan/status/1750961036390506911?s=46&t=XHl6MkQyOm3Zbk1mBBrooA

Sometimes you don’t need to get a star just that right piece I remember people saying Toronto fleeced them

I feel like this is a strange way to look at it. Monte traded that first for Huerter on purpose, because he wanted Huerter. It's not like we gave up anything else of value, so the cost for Huerter was "one pick + the Stepien Rule consequences + the inability to spend the pick later". That was always known and was definitely taken into account when making the deal.
OK, but the Raptors must have wanted picks ASAP because they took two of them. That's just a fact. And word is now Monte is looking to move Huerter so it is what it is.

Doubt we’ll be trading for anything major after this year with Keegan/Fox/Monk needing to get massive deals

https://x.com/o_a_khan/status/1750961036390506911?s=46&t=XHl6MkQyOm3Zbk1mBBrooA

Sometimes you don’t need to get a star just that right piece I remember people saying Toronto fleeced them
I would be surprised if Monte was already looking at Keegans contract which is years away from being an impediment. As for Monk, Monk is capped at what he can sign to anyway right? If a team wants to offer him a bag and he wants it, he's gone.

And OG is considered a star by many. If not, he's close. He's just not the superstar the Raptors were selling him as. And of course, they ended up settling for a very non-superstar package at the end of the day. They were fluffing up his value to the media. Same with Siakam, they got nothing close to the reported packages they were originally seeking. If DFS were putting up numbers and production with skills at the level of even OG then heck yeah, by all means. Finney-Smith is an 8 ppg, 4 rpg player that hovers in the low 40's as a shooter. They aren't equals.

Last edited:
I agree that sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something, just to make a move. The problem is that we would still be limited to trades because we have no capspace to work with in freeagency. That said, I do think we'll do something. How big a move it will be is the mystery. My preference is still Grant because he's almost the perfect fit. Not fond of his contract, but if he pans out and is a difference maker then I'm fine with it.

I also like Jalen Smith from the Pacers. He's improved quite a bit since he entered the league. He can play the 4 or the 5. He can stretch the floor and he's a good weak side rim protector who can rebound. Don't know if the Pacers are in love with him or not, but they do have a bit of a logjam there. The player I'd give away the house for is probably unattainable, and that's Mikal Bridges, who I wanted the Kings to draft. Don't know why the Net's would move him though since he's the best player on their team.

Does anyone know if Monte is traveling with the team?

I don't think we've come close to the ceiling for this roster and I'm not gonna be mad if we stand pat. Internal cohesiveness is a way bigger deal than overall talent and the squad is making strides to bring it together
To me standing pat doesn't mean we don't make a single move for the 15 man roster. Even Celtics are looking for reinforcement. I am alright they stand pat with the core, but there should at least be some deals out there we can make to improve the roster.

I actually think he's a guy who can swing a series. You need the horses up front, obviously, but infusing a bad defensive team with an elite defender like DFS is hard to quantify.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
To me standing pat doesn't mean we don't make a single move for the 15 man roster. Even Celtics are looking for reinforcement. I am alright they stand pat with the core, but there should at least be some deals out there we can make to improve the roster.
I'm guessing @captain bill means moving Huerter or Barnes. I think we all know they can be upgraded but I hate the idea of just throwing them in for another guy bound to be the 5th best player at best.

Davion is a guy I wouldn't lose much sleep over if we got an NBA quality rotation player back. We can move guys 10-15 without a sweat. We could waive McGee to take a flyer on a buyout player. Lots of things that don't break up the rotational mainstays but likely won't destroy team chemistry.

There's probably guys like Sasha who we could dangle and while I think he could do great things for us next year, it would definitely be a buy low sell high type move if we turned DM and SV into one player who played every night.