Kings trading Evans for Vasquez/Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry but their first move (Offering Iggy a contract and then pulling it away) made them look like a complete joke, and then their second move (losing the 1st/2nd best player on the team) is a freaking joke. so i understand how people are losing faith in this FO very quickly
Seriously, I cant be the only one who sees the unbelievable similarity here between an attitude like this, and the one of Warrior fans from just after the Ellis trade. Too funny to me people are unwilling to even let the first week of the offseason play out before they lose their mind.

I guess this would be how one feels when new owner purchase one's company and they lay off the beloved workers who you think is capable of great things when used correctly.
Tyreke was dicked around for 3 years by a terrible franchise and coaching staff and he stuck around and was a trooper, for us not to give him a chance now is just embarassing and i dont support it at all

Seriously, I cant be the only one who sees the unbelievable similarity here between an attitude like this, and the one of Warrior fans from just after the Ellis trade.
honestly i agree with you and i was just thinking about that, i remember the warrior crowd booing the new owners and Chris Mullin because of the Monta trade. and i totally hope this turns out that way and we make the playoffs,

only difference is, Monta SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and all we got in return is a backup PG and a worthless Center who is barely worth using in the NBA and will never be anywhere as good as his brother Brook

welp im going to sleep...and hopefully wake up with a SF...or atleast a meeting with one...hell ill settle for rumored interest at this point! DO SOMETHING PETE.

Na.

It's much more logical to pretend we know more about basketball than paid professionals AND to condemn the team to lottery hell the next decade before this FO has experienced their first summer league
Hey, we are all talking about the same thing here. So just because we happen to disagree with what the FO is doing this time, don't pretend all of a sudden that you're not doing the same thing, like when you talked about how we should get rid of Evans and such things, "pretend to know more about basketball than paid professionals".

Tyreke was dicked around for 3 years by a terrible franchise and coaching staff and he stuck around and was a trooper, for us not to give him a chance now is just embarassing and i dont support it at all
I agree he was dicked around and underdeveloped and dealt with bad coaching. But the only relevant thing is if the new coaching staff and front office think he has a role on the team going forward that is worth 11 mil/year, and clearly they did not. Its as simple as that. If they are truly building around Cousins then they must have a different idea of the type of players they want to put around him and how much each of the roles are worth.

sorry but their first move (Offering Iggy a contract and then pulling it away) made them look like a complete joke, and then their second move (losing the 1st/2nd best player on the team) is a freaking joke. so i understand how people are losing faith in this FO very quickly
People seriously act like we would have become a playoff team if Reke stays, we've seen 3 years of DMC+Reke together, what makes you guys think we will magically win 20 more games with essentially the same roster and Ben McLemore. This trade will make us better, mark my words.

honestly i agree with you and i was just thinking about that, i remember the warrior crowd booing the new owners and Chris Mullin because of the Monta trade. and i totally hope this turns out that way and we make the playoffs,

only difference is, Monta SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and all we got in return is a backup PG and a worthless Center who is barely worth using in the NBA and will never be anywhere as good as his brother Brook

Yeah, we could see that as outsiders, but the Warrior fans didn't because they were too close to the situation. Hmmm, makes you think.

And like I said, I wanted them to keep him. After all I was one of the 10 people in Arco on draft night that was cheering the Evans pick while the Rubio fans were storming out of the building furious.

If they are truly building around Cousins then they must have a different idea of the type of players they want to put around him and how much each of the roles are worth.
well regardless of their "vision" or plan, the roster is taking a step backward.

i have NO idea how they can justify paying an aging/declining Iguodala 52M, but not Tyreke 44M. its crap

People seriously act like we would have become a playoff team if Reke stays, we've seen 3 years of DMC+Reke together, what makes you guys think we will magically win 20 more games with essentially the same roster and Ben McLemore. This trade will make us better, mark my words.
No we would hopefully be better with a competent coach who knew how to use our talent.

But we'll be better because we replaced Reke with Vasquez? Weird logic.

They sky is falling attitude is hilarious, and this is coming from someone who wanted to match the offer and keep Evans. Its July 4 people, FA just started and you are already throwing in the towel for the season. Jesus, calm down and let this group make some more moves and build the team around Cousins the way they see fit. The anger and hostility demonstrated by some people here is too funny.
I'm willing to give this new FO time, but you have to admit... going from Reke/Iggy to Vazquez/Lopez undoubtedly means a lot less wins this year. We moved from potentially pushing the 8th seed to being pretty much a lock for the lotto again (barring something crazy).

Maybe we're better set up to build a contender this way- I can certainly see that logic. But after sitting through so many awful years I was psyched to see any halfway decent product on the floor. I'd like to eat crow and see this team to big things, but I really just don't see that happening now.

Not condemning this FO prematurely, but this is disappointing, at least for our prospects of short-term success.

We are talking about giving up better talent for 2 role players here. I'm not talking about magically winning 20 more games.

Plus all we've seen in the last 3 years were terrible team running and coaching with almost every trade being a budget cutting move.

Yeah, we could see that as outsiders, but the Warrior fans didn't because they were too close to the situation. Hmmm, makes you think.
true, BUT, nobody in the league really thinks its a great idea to add Monta to their team. but look how much interest there is in Tyreke. what was it? 17 teams reported? that tells you there is probably a reason

They sky is falling attitude is hilarious, and this is coming from someone who wanted to match the offer and keep Evans. Its July 4 people, FA just started and you are already throwing in the towel for the season. Jesus, calm down and let this group make some more moves and build the team around Cousins the way they see fit. The anger and hostility demonstrated by some people here is too funny.
They haven't exactly started well have they?! First they make a monsterous offer to Iggy only to yank it a few hours later. The next day they a not going to match an offer for our second best player with genuine potential and decide to do a sign and trade for a couple of role players.

Let's face it, there is not a player out there in the free agency that would want to come to Sacramento and would be an upgrade on Evans especially in the long term. So really we are banking on 2 or 3 things to happen.

1. Cousins blows up and becomes a HOF player
2. McLemore becomes the player that our hierarchy is dribbling over (unlikely but hope so)
3. We strike it BIG in the lottery next year to draft another superstar in the making to pair with Cousins

I genuinely hope it works out for us but this is a BIG gamble on our part, we are talking a Maloof sized gamble! If it pays off great but if it doesn't we are in real strife!

Let me be clear, I am not talking about being a play off team of this year's GSW and Denver Nuggets variety but I am talking genuine contentenders for the long term (ie the modern day Spurs, or Miami etc). Being a run and gun team that makes the play offs and gets out in the 1st or 2nd round is of no interest to me. You can always contruct that type of team if you have some money but building a contender is what this should be all about, not just making the play offs.

Seriously, I cant be the only one who sees the unbelievable similarity here between an attitude like this, and the one of Warrior fans from just after the Ellis trade. Too funny to me people are unwilling to even let the first week of the offseason play out before they lose their mind.
I completely agree with you. Can't believe people are already questioning our FO. Maybe they will make mistake (maybe), but without them now Reke would be in a Sonics jersey, along with all the other guys. Then, remember we are a 28 wins team. And it's the 4th of July. Let's wait and see! Calm down.

In 10 days, we lost Tyreke and we added McLemore, McCallum, Vasquez and Lopez. Are you sure we are so much worse? Maybe we are, but I have faith in our FO and I'm pretty sure they are not idiots.

They haven't exactly started well have they?! First they make a monsterous offer to Iggy only to yank it a few hours later. The next day they a not going to match an offer for our second best player with genuine potential and decide to do a sign and trade for a couple of role players.

Let's face it, there is not a player out there in the free agency that would want to come to Sacramento and would be an upgrade on Evans especially in the long term. So really we are banking on 2 or 3 things to happen.

2. McLemore becomes the player that our hierarchy is dribbling over (unlikely but hope so)
3. We strike it BIG in the lottery next year to draft another superstar in the making to pair with Cousins

I genuinely hope it works out for us but this is a BIG gamble on our part, we are talking a Maloof sized gamble! If it pays off great but if it doesn't we are in real strife!

Let me be clear, I am not talking about being a play off team of this year's GSW and Denver Nuggets variety but I am talking genuine contentenders for the long term (ie the modern day Spurs, or Miami etc). Being a run and gun team that makes the play offs and gets out in the 1st or 2nd round is of no interest to me. You can always contruct that type of team if you have some money but building a contender is what this should be all about, not just making the play offs.
^ ya so this guy basically nailed it. our FO is basically being really dumb.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The trade was predictable as Arn Tellem is the agent for Tyreke, Vasquez, and Lopez. That makes me a bit queezy but he sure did well by his guys. We may have gotten played by Tellem and NO cooperating with each other. NO jumps in immediately and makes an offer that our FO wouldn't match. I'm not going to argue about Tyreke but this seems to solve NO's problem with too many guards if Tyreke plays SF. Vasquez might have come off the bench at NO. I wonder if there wasn't a better deal if we could have considered anyone that Tellem wasn't representing.

I don't know if Lopez is much of a defender and would be reasurred if he was. 1.6 bpg is not startling.

It will now depend on who we get for a SF. We must have cap space to pull that off and it's too late in the night to figure that out. A good SF would make this less painful. It is a strange start and we may regret having a rookie owner, a rookie GM, and a rookie coach.

well regardless of their "vision" or plan, the roster is taking a step backward.

i have NO idea how they can justify paying an aging/declining Iguodala 52M, but not Tyreke 44M. its crap
I can try and answer that from the FOs perspective. Iggy plays SF, a position of need, Evans doesnt. Iggy is an ELITE defender, Tyreke isnt in that category yet. Iggy is unselfish and knows how to play team basketball. He is an all-star and Olympian, Tyreke isnt. He provide veteran leadership, something this team is severely lacking. Iggy would easily be the most athletic player on last years roster, and second most this year behind McLemore.

My guess those are the reasons they were willing to go that high on Iggy and not on Reke.

Pretty much sums up how I feel as well. Either you are on this side of the fence or the other, you HAVE to see what we are worrying about, right?

The trade was predictable as Arn Tellem is the agent for Tyreke, Vasquez, and Lopez. That makes me a bit queezy but he sure did well by his guys. We may have gotten played by Tellem and NO cooperating with each other. NO jumps in immediately and makes an offer that our FO wouldn't match. I'm not going to argue about Tyreke but this seems to solve NO's problem with too many guards if Tyreke plays SF. Vasquez might have come off the bench at NO. I wonder if there wasn't a better deal if we could have considered anyone that Tellem wasn't representing.

I don't know if Lopez is much of a defender and would be reasurred if he was. 1.6 bpg is not startling.

It will now depend on who we get for a SF. We must have cap space to pull that off and it's too late in the night to figure that out. A good SF would make this less painful. It is a strange start an we may regret having a rookie owner, a rookie GM, and a rookie coach.
I think we'll have 5-7 M but I'm not positive about that.

No one is paying attention to Pelican's new roster. Their front office has done a very good job.

Maybe a 40-plus wins for New Orleans this coming season. They are slowly, but surely getting there.

This trade is hard to swallow. I wish we could have had a better return for Tyreke, like say a Rondo.

Last edited:
yay we freed up cap space. but guess what? nobody is going to come to freaking Sacramento in free agency. so what good does that do? and we just let one of our top 2 talents walk out of here

So keeping Tyreke wasn't a gamble? Is Tyreke Evans a sure fire perennial All-Star that will lead us to a title? C'mon man, in 4 seasons what have you seen to make you think that.

What makes you think their plan isnt a long term one that consists of a long term run as a contender? Especially one built around Cousins and his unique talents. Like I've already said, it appears there are too many people jumping to conclusions about how this team is ultimately going to look. Its up to the FO to put a price on each role they wish to assign for this team, and clearly they didnt see Evans fitting a role big enough to merit 11 mil/year, simple as that. Now lets see where they go next.

Hey, we are all talking about the same thing here. So just because we happen to disagree with what the FO is doing this time, don't pretend all of a sudden that you're not doing the same thing, like when you talked about how we should get rid of Evans and such things, "pretend to know more about basketball than paid professionals".
Well, my opinion has been consistent with that of said paid professionals. So there's that

I stated numerous times that I would match the deal if Reke was our long-term plan at SG. Because we have tangible evidence that he can produce their and can improve at that position. Obviously, that was not our intention.

We gave up a more realistic potential player to bank on whoever we might get in the future. It's that simple. There are only so many 23 +/- years old players with similar potential as Evans, and pretty much none of those will be given up by their teams or be willing to come to Sacramento.

Pretty much sums up how I feel as well. Either you are on this side of the fence or the other, you HAVE to see what we are worrying about, right?
Actually, no I don't. 4 days into this group's first offseason, with a roster full of mismatched parts and overpaid stiffs. If you didn't think things were going to change then I dont think you were seeing things clearly. I was hoping it wouldnt be Tyreke to go, but I'm not entirely surprised either.

So keeping Tyreke wasn't a gamble? Is Tyreke Evans a sure fire perennial All-Star that will lead us to a title? C'mon man, in 4 seasons what have you seen to make you think that.
A great rookie campaign derailed by the most incompetent coaching and front office in the league. A dominant skill set that is in high demand by the best teams in the league. A 23 year old that dealt with all of the challenges without complaining and whose physical profile suggested room for more improvement.

Beside that, nothing two role players from one of the worst teams in the league can't fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.