Kings trading Evans for Vasquez/Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It's absolutely jaw dropping to me that we would sign a coach who's calling card is team defense and then our first off-season move is to trade a guy who is probably a top 5 defender at PG in the league for a guy who is easily among the worst. Every hope I had of positive change going forward is now dashed if this is true, not because this deal alone is crippling, but because the decision making behind it is unbelievably backward. It means we are not thinking defense first, we are in fact thinking the exact opposite. We are full-in on run and gun "put fans in the seats" gimmick ball. And shame on them for thinking our fans aren't smart enough to know the difference between winning basketball and a circus act. The draft day celebration when New Orleans took Nerlens Noel instead of Ben McLemore was the first warning sign. Noel does have the knee issues, but he was the best defender in the draft and a perfect compliment to Cousins. This is strike two and it's even more damning because it indicates that the money is also going to be a factor. $11 million for one of the best all-around guards in the league is hardly an overpay and by letting him leave we are in effect saying that we'd rather fill two holes with acceptable players then pay market value for a chance to be competitive. The Igoudala mess hints at the same thing. A proactive team can find a way to sign both of them. Houston would have had both of them signed by now (or at least agreed in principle).

It's the ensuing moves that are the point. Picking up a bunch of guys that are more known for scoring and production. That is absolutely talent and production potential over team. Depth in that area to the point of stupidity. This draft most certainly has a say on why the Kings are moving on as well. Keeping this team as is, while adding another scorer/production player, and Tyreke is supposed to somehow get a bigger piece of the action. I can't see it working without a hitch.
First of all, as we have all witness, we can't judge anything the FO had done in the last of Maloofs years when they were cutting budget wherever they can.

Thorton worked well with Evans when he first came but he still needs the ball. McLemore is a total off-ball scorer. He would have worked nicely with Evans' elite ballhandling skills.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Makes me wonder if they will resign Cousins because of his attitude. They said great things about Tyreke and poof! he's gone so don't give me any "comforting" thoughts that the FO really likes Cousins. After a few suspensions, they'll be ready to dump him.

what an awesome trade. we get a half decent PG who should probably be a backup (Vasquez) and an absolutely worthless Center (Lopez) Who is NOTHING like his brother Brook. this trade is dog ****

thanks Pete. now were back in the lottey. awesome. yesterday some people thought we could dream of a Tyreke/McLemore/Iguodala lineup. and now we have Vasquez/McLemore/Salmons. awesome.
I don't think Iggy and Reke was even possible at any point in time. That was all fantastical wishing by people on this board, me included of course but wishing nonetheless.

First of all, as we have all witness, we can't judge anything the FO had done in the last of Maloofs years when they were cutting budget wherever they can.

Thorton worked well with Evans when he first came but he still needs the ball. McLemore is a total off-ball scorer. He would have worked nicely with Evans' elite ballhandling skills.
He's not useless with the ball or anything.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't think Iggy and Reke was even possible at any point in time. That was all fantastical wishing by people on this board, me included of course but wishing nonetheless.
Wishlisting? Tyreke is a restricted free agent. He only leaves if we let him leave. Igoudala likely wasn't coming to Sacramento, but if we re-sign Tyreke and offer him $13 million a year he at least thinks about it. Ending up with neither of them is entirely on our front office choosing that direction.

We are full-in on run and gun "put fans in the seats" gimmick ball. And shame on them for thinking our fans aren't smart enough to know the difference between winning basketball and a circus act.
And it means absolutely nothing to win 50, 60 games in regular season with run and gun and get bullied in the Playoffs when we take 60% outside and make 20% of them. Don't forget it was Lebron and Dwayne driving to the lane to get most of the come-back points at the end of the Finals before Ray Allen could be the hero draining the 3.

i guess its time to sit back and endure another losing season of Kings basketball and keep those fingers crossed that the payoff is Andrew Wiggins.....

And it means absolutely nothing to win 50, 60 games in regular season with run and gun and get bullied in the Playoffs when we take 60% outside and make 20% of them. Don't forget it was Lebron and Dwayne driving to the lane to get most of the come-back points at the end of the Finals before Ray Allen could be the hero draining the 3.
hillarity.

You do realize it's been 4 years since we've won 30 games right?

I dont understand, why the Kings dont match the NO offer and if Reke and Mclemore Backcourt doesnt work mid-season, looking to trade Reke for something worthy. Vasquez is solid, but isnt a very good defender and Lopez is a role-player and too slow to play alongside Cousins from my point of view.
Because if Reke/McLemore backcourt doesn't work then Reke's contract will look bad and teams won't want to trade for it.

The Iggy and Reke scenarios have been kinda strange but I also think the McLemore one was too. I mean, the FO was speaking as if they had just drafted the next LeBron James, not a likely support player.

Doc Evans twitter filled with goodbyes and hellos. He said he was surprised Sacramento didn't match.
INTERNATIONAL i ‏@Bluprintceo 5m
@CDotButler @JahlilBeats we comin to the N.O.

INTERNATIONAL i ‏@Bluprintceo 23s
“@jsumida24: @TyrekeEvans @Bluprintceo Tyreke will be missed! Good luck in NO! pic.twitter.com/B4FshdxZmz” thank you!!

These probably put the nail in the coffin.

1. The banner at the top of this site is gonna have to change soon

2. We're now officially in the Wiggins sweepstakes

3. I don't think a single player on the roster is safe and management wants to start over

Everyone buckle up, we're in for another 3-5 year rebuilding/tanking phase

Because if Reke/McLemore backcourt doesn't work then Reke's contract will look bad and teams won't want to trade for it.
That's silly. Even if he didn't pan out with a better pairing and coach, he could still slide back to sg for other teams. No one can honestly argue this is the best value you could get in a Reke trade.

Wishlisting? Tyreke is a restricted free agent. He only leaves if we let him leave. Igoudala likely wasn't coming to Sacramento, but if we re-sign Tyreke and offer him $13 million a year he at least thinks about it. Ending up with neither of them is entirely on our front office choosing that direction.
I'm saying the only way to get them both was by moving a good chunk of the guaranteed deals on the team. Financially it was just plain unlikely. Re-signing Tyreke to this deal would have put the Kings up to the cap limit. The Kings would have only had about 5 million in space after using the amnesty on Salmons, where is the other 8 million coming from?

1. The banner at the top of this site is gonna have to change soon

2. We're now officially in the Wiggins sweepstakes

3. I don't think a single player on the roster is safe and management wants to start over

Everyone buckle up, we're in for another 3-5 year rebuilding/tanking phase
God, I don't remember a single winning season from personal memory and now have to watch more losing years... sigh.

They sky is falling attitude is hilarious, and this is coming from someone who wanted to match the offer and keep Evans. Its July 4 people, FA just started and you are already throwing in the towel for the season. Jesus, calm down and let this group make some more moves and build the team around Cousins the way they see fit. The anger and hostility demonstrated by some people here is too funny.

incase anyone still had any faith that this wasn't true, Tyreke's brother put an end to that theory

INTERNATIONAL i ‏@Bluprintceo
@NWebster15 they didn't. And they won't. It's official. Gonna miss you guys! #printdat

PS: this is bull****

I'm saying the only way to get them both was by moving a good chunk of the guaranteed deals on the team. Financially it was just plain unlikely. Re-signing Tyreke to this deal would have put the Kings up to the cap limit. The Kings would have only had about 5 million in space after using the amnesty on Salmons, where is the other 8 million coming from?
The same kind of moves everyone defending this trade is sure we can make after with our remaining players to put some kind of competitive lineup on the court. Did the guys left on the team suddenly become more valuable after this trade?

calm down and let this group make some more moves
sorry but their first move (Offering Iggy a contract and then pulling it away) made them look like a complete joke, and then their second move (losing the 1st/2nd best player on the team) is a freaking joke. so i understand how people are losing faith in this FO very quickly

I guess this would be how one feels when new owner purchase your company and they lay off the beloved workers who you think is capable of great things when used correctly.

But hey, at least we are not Cleveland.

They sky is falling attitude is hilarious, and this is coming from someone who wanted to match the offer and keep Evans. Its July 4 people, FA just started and you are already throwing in the towel for the season. Jesus, calm down and let this group make some more moves and build the team around Cousins the way they see fit. The anger and hostility demonstrated by some people here is too funny.
Na.

It's much more logical to pretend we know more about basketball than paid professionals AND to condemn the team to lottery hell the next decade before this FO has experienced their first summer league

Status
Not open for further replies.