So this is what it's like

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Back in the good old days, the term TDOS was coined to reflect our angst about having to go through several months without Kings basketball, hence The Dreaded Off-Season.

Maloofs = 10 years and no arena deal - Hires and fires move very slowly

Vivek = Arena deal in a couple months - hires moving along VERY quickly along with hearing about players Vivek is interested in.

I cannot believe that I was blaming the city for not getting the arena deal done in the past 5-8 years.

Interestingly...I was listening to sports talk radio in Oregon today. They were criticizing this hire (particularly financially), saying things like this is why teams like this are bottom feeders. They hire coaches with no track record to relatively cheap coaching contracts. They argued it is no wonder players continually show disrespect for their coaches.

Interestingly...I was listening to sports talk radio in Oregon today. They were criticizing this hire (particularly financially), saying things like this is why teams like this are bottom feeders. They hire coaches with no track record to relatively cheap coaching contracts. They argued it is no wonder players continually show disrespect for their coaches.
Ridiculous. Obviously non-proven guys can flame out and yes they can come a little cheaper but the league is currently littered with guys that got their start that way. Do Thibodeau's players or Vogel's players or Pop's players show them continual disrespect?

Boy, are the people in the Pacific Northwest sore losers. Clearly, they are trying to imply that if Seattle would had gotten the Kings, they would have spent $15 million for Phil Jackson, while Sacramento got an unproven assistant.

Phil Jackson was not coming to Sacramento. Would hiring a re-treaded coach been better? I don't think so.

Clearly, Malone shares Vivek's vision and uses the computer and data analytics that Vivek's believes in and used in Golden State. He and a lot of great current players (Chris Paul, Lebron JAmes) and Jerry West all endorse Mike Malone and that is good enough for me. Even Phil Jackson had to start off somewhere.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Phil Jackson had no interest in being a coach and would have been the President/GM/or whatever,

Some people can't let go, can they? If they had put as much energy into doing the work it took to keep the Sonics as they are blowing out their arse now, they'd still have a team called the Sonics.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Boy, are the people in the Pacific Northwest sore losers.
Most people in Oregon couldn't give two craps about what goes on in Seattle.

I do wonder which Oregon sports broadcast this was though. There are quite a few that just complain about everything. they should focus on how the Blazers are being run.

Boy, are the people in the Pacific Northwest sore losers. Clearly, they are trying to imply that if Seattle would had gotten the Kings, they would have spent $15 million for Phil Jackson, while Sacramento got an unproven assistant.

Phil Jackson was not coming to Sacramento. Would hiring a re-treaded coach been better? I don't think so.

Clearly, Malone shares Vivek's vision and uses the computer and data analytics that Vivek's believes in and used in Golden State. He and a lot of great current players (Chris Paul, Lebron JAmes) and Jerry West all endorse Mike Malone and that is good enough for me. Even Phil Jackson had to start off somewhere.
Off-topic, but I truly don't believe for one second Phil Jackson was going anywhere near that Seattle job.

Off-topic, but I truly don't believe for one second Phil Jackson was going anywhere near that Seattle job.
PJ pretty much confirmed that he was going to be president of basketball operations if the team moved to Seattle in some interviews he did last week.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PJ pretty much confirmed that he was going to be president of basketball operations if the team moved to Seattle in some interviews he did last week.
He can say he was going to do something but, as kingsnation says, I wouldn't believe it until he was locked up with an iron-clad contract.

All I heard him claim was that he was offered any position he wanted by the Hansen group (never said if/or what position he would have taken). Also thought it was interesting that he would be more than willing to take a job with the team in Seattle, but had no interest if they stayed in Sac. That simply makes no sense to me.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
All I heard him claim was that he was offered any position he wanted by the Hansen group (never said if/or what position he would have taken). Also thought it was interesting that he would be more than willing to take a job with the team in Seattle, but had no interest if they stayed in Sac. That simply makes no sense to me.
He intimated that he didn't like the city of Sacramento. If need be, maybe I can dig up the short interview but I hope it isn't so much of an issue.

He intimated that he didn't like the city of Sacramento. If need be, maybe I can dig up the short interview but I hope it isn't so much of an issue.
I heard the interview, but with Phil Jackson you always take much of what he says with a grain of salt. I just have a hard time believing that he could dislike Sacramento so much that it would keep him from taking a job that he would have no problem taking in a different city. My impression was that the Kings ownership group probably wasn't as interested in Phil as the Seattle group (which offended him), so he decided to take a pot shot as the city of Sacramento.

To have an ownership group wiling to spend money and not have the lowest salary! IT'S GONNA BE A FUN OFF SEASON!
It certainly could be an exciting off season, and I can't remember a time when I was excited about an off season in recent history.

I hope we re-sign Evans, draft well, and maybe add a big name free agent (be it a big or a player like Ellis).

I heard the interview, but with Phil Jackson you always take much of what he says with a grain of salt. I just have a hard time believing that he could dislike Sacramento so much that it would keep him from taking a job that he would have no problem taking in a different city. My impression was that the Kings ownership group probably wasn't as interested in Phil as the Seattle group (which offended him), so he decided to take a pot shot as the city of Sacramento.
There were two separate interviews - the Dan Patrick one and the Jay Leno one.. The Jay Leno one, it sounded to me like he had a real disdain for Sacramento, but that is just my opinion. Personally I think Buss voted for relocation (no proof) so he could take the job in Seattle. I think there is too much water under the bridge

It's nice that we can finally ignore what other people have to say about the Kings or what they do. Now we should try and do that. Do we seriously care what Phil freaking Jackson has to say about Sacramento? Come on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To have an ownership group wiling to spend money and not have the lowest salary! IT'S GONNA BE A FUN OFF SEASON!
I'm advising everyone to grab a seat now and get ready. This has all the earmarks of being an E ticket ride and you do not want to miss out. Speaking as someone who would have cherished every moment of the GOOD TIMES even more than I did had I realized how quickly they could be over, I am not going to miss a second this time around.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!

Once, now ... and FOREVER! GO KINGS!!

Regarding Phil Jackson, it had more to do with the friendship he struck with Hansen as opposed to anything negative about the city of Sacramento or positive about Seattle. He was in a comfort zone with Hansen and felt that he was the right type of person to work for.