Wednesday morning and latest news, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The part that gets me the most is where are they getting their information that our arena deal is so bad? Sure theirs is better but they constantly rag on our, even though we have a surplus from the parking revenue just sitting there ready to be spent. Ours is a damn good arena deal and we already had the base from the previous year, so it's not like we threw it together or anything.

Also they talk about us not even having any of the land. Last I checked we owned all the land needed for building the arena? If I am wrong please correct me.
Have you seen this article by Bruski? http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....an-roulette-with-seattles-nba-future/related/ Says the Seattle group was the one behind a lot of the "leaks" misguiding seattle fans with that information.

https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/334532094757830658

Brock HuardVerified account ‏@BrockESPN

My gut & intuition tell me the more George Maloof speaks, the more disastrous for SEA. Are there worse business partners than the Maloof's?

https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/334541018194137088
Brock HuardVerified account ‏@BrockESPN

Can anyone convince me that George Maloof wandering the halls of hotel looking for someone to talk to doesn't wreak of utter desperation?

Have you seen this article by Bruski? http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....an-roulette-with-seattles-nba-future/related/ Says the Seattle group was the one behind a lot of the "leaks" misguiding seattle fans with that information.
Yah that was an awesome article. I figured they were behind the leaks as well.

I also like reading how Seattle people (we are the same way though) say "this news guy is trash" or "the tweets from this guy are all lies and made up". Then they go on to praise their twitter sources, or news people. We are the total opposite though.

I have a feeling that since we have been through this more than once (pretty much the exact same scenario a couple years ago) that we have a sense when what's being told is true or not. This time around it did seem a lot easier once the Sac group had a good bid in. At that point I knew this was over.

The part that gets me the most is where are they getting their information that our arena deal is so bad? Sure theirs is better but they constantly rag on our, even though we have a surplus from the parking revenue just sitting there ready to be spent. Ours is a damn good arena deal and we already had the base from the previous year, so it's not like we threw it together or anything.

Also they talk about us not even having any of the land. Last I checked we owned all the land needed for building the arena? If I am wrong please correct me.

Gary, lol, read my mind... Reading sonicsrising you would think KJ and Co just drew some amateur plans up on the fly without forethought which has no chance of succeeding.. Hell, reading their drivel put doubt into my mind at one point

I have a feeling that since we have been through this more than once (pretty much the exact same scenario a couple years ago) that we have a sense when what's being told is true or not. This time around it did seem a lot easier once the Sac group had a good bid in. At that point I knew this was over.
I feel like this is different than a few years ago (as you implied). A few years ago, it felt like we were at the mercy of the Maloofs, now, it feels like we're in control of our own destiny for the first time in a long while. As of 5/14, the Maloofs own the Sacramento Kings, as of 5/15, that feels like a different matter entirely.

My sources tell me that H&B took the day today to reach out and talk to #NBA people they trust who made it clear they were rapidly
losing the chance to own an #NBA team, they were told expansion is a real option, they were told the #Maloofs appear to be manipulating them"

Today on NBA.com

"The Hansen and Ballmer group elbowed its way back into the conversation using money and creativity. It started last Friday when Hansen increased his total valuation of the Kings from $550 million to $625 million. Hansen also announced on his website that he has guaranteed owners that the franchise would pay into the league's revenue-sharing system if it was in Seattle and not collect money as it has in Sacramento.
On Saturday, word leaked of a backup deal with the Maloofs to purchase a minority interest in the Kings with the Maloofs remaining the controlling party. The limited partnership would be a purchase of at least 20 percent of the Maloofs' stake in the franchise at a valuation of $600 million, but the Hansen/Ballmer group would retain a two-year option to purchase majority control. They were bold and aggressive moves by the Seattle group. And for fans, they were a needed boost."

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/05/14/kings-nearing-decision-on-fate.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts
When did raising an offer become creative? lol @ this article

Biggest day in this off the court forum ever, thi is culminatioms of 7-8 years finishing this arena plan... Time to party and time to enjoy this great day

I hope this saga ends. Our collective mental health depends on it. How the NBA will get this to fall in our favour is beyond me with many options discussed, I have faith.

They are wrong, but none of them wanted facts or truth. I spoke to a guy from JMA about the land (parcels). There was some confusion caused by the investment group's talk about acquiring other parcels. around the plaza. He clarified that they wanted to acquire some of those adjoining parcels for the surrounding redevelopment (and have options to purchase on some of them). However, right know all land needed for construction of the arena are either owned by the city or JMA (who is all in).

T^here's nothing bad about our financing, or the NBA wouldn't even be considering keeping the Kings in Sac at this point. That was the most serious and researched part of the deal in both cities for the NBA. And some folks in Seattle and Sacramento remain under the delusion that tax money is involved in the Sac arena deal.

If Monty's tweets are at all accurate two things are amazing to me.

1) Apparently, Ballmer and Hansen are no where near as smart as they think they are, since they were so easily duped by the Maloofs. I mean, really? It had been pointed out numerous times by many people, that H/B weren't working with the NBA. That was just dumb or they were truly ignorant about the NBA.

2) Sonics fans are truly delusional if they think H/B "scared" Stern into an expansion team. Apparently the league was trying to tell H/B that an expansion team was a real possibility for them at least two months ago, but H/B just ignored the league until a few days ago. Also, incredible stupid.

So basically we've gone through a couple of months of grief, because of the sliminess of the Maloofs and the stupid arrogance of H/B who ignored messages from the league.

I posted this on a facebook page and thought I'd copy it over to here. Remember, it's just my opinion.

[h=5]I just want to put my two cents in at this point. Sonics fans did not deserve to lose their team any more than Kings fans do. Sonics fans just lacked an iota of support from any city or state politicians.

If KJ hadn't been mayor the last couple of years, the Kings would be long gone, too, no matter what we tried to do as fans. That's just the reality.

I pretty much quit reading Sonics fan sites or comments a while back, because most of the ones posting were insulting about my city, our mayor (jealousy), out investment group, our arena plan and Kings fans.

Not only that, they didn't want to listen to me when I was correcting misinformation about Sacramento that was being spewed left and right, much of it by lazy media sources (like ESPN). I wasn't saying anything bad about Seattle or the Sonics fans, but they didn't want to have any real exchange of information.

On top of that a good many of the posters were rude, ignorant and were willing to do anything to Sacramento to get "their" team back. (Hello...its not "your" team.)

On the other thing, I also know that there were Sacramento Kings fans that posted stuff to Sonics fans that was just as insulting, rude and classless as anything any Sonics fan posted.

If we get to keep our Kings in Sacramento (without the Maloofs) and Seattle gets a first-in-line shot at an expansion team, then that's exactly what should come out of this whole hot, ugly mess. And, in a back-handed way, Seattle will have enabled Sac to get rid of the Maloofs. Talk about a win-win for everybody.

It will be tempting for me to rub it in Sonics fans faces, if the vote does go our way tomorrow, which I believe it will. And I certainly can't stop anybody from the Kings side from doing that. I will say, though, that if we feel we have a great city and great fans that deserves to have our Kings stay right here, than represent your city and Kings fans by resisting that urge. If the vote goes our way, Sonics fans are going to be hurt and depressed and that could easily have been us. Not very heroic to kick somebody when they are already injured and on the ground.

Please let us take the high road and prove this is a great and classy fanbase and city. Be proud of how hard this city and fanbase have fought. Don't trash other fanbases or their city. Just be proud of us. We don't need to trash anybody to feel superior. We can be proud of our accomplishments, because we are a great fanbase and city. Its that simple.

That's all I have to say. I fear it won't make a bit of difference, but I had to try. TY.
[/h]

I posted this on a facebook page and thought I'd copy it over to here. Remember, it's just my opinion.

[h=5]I just want to put my two cents in at this point. Sonics fans did not deserve to lose their team any more than Kings fans do. Sonics fans just lacked an iota of support from any city or state politicians.

If KJ hadn't been mayor the last couple of years, the Kings would be long gone, too, no matter what we tried to do as fans. That's just the reality.

I pretty much quit reading Sonics fan sites or comments a while back, because most of the ones posting were insulting about my city, our mayor (jealousy), out investment group, our arena plan and Kings fans.

Not only that, they didn't want to listen to me when I was correcting misinformation about Sacramento that was being spewed left and right, much of it by lazy media sources (like ESPN). I wasn't saying anything bad about Seattle or the Sonics fans, but they didn't want to have any real exchange of information.

On top of that a good many of the posters were rude, ignorant and were willing to do anything to Sacramento to get "their" team back. (Hello...its not "your" team.)

On the other thing, I also know that there were Sacramento Kings fans that posted stuff to Sonics fans that was just as insulting, rude and classless as anything any Sonics fan posted.

If we get to keep our Kings in Sacramento (without the Maloofs) and Seattle gets a first-in-line shot at an expansion team, then that's exactly what should come out of this whole hot, ugly mess. And, in a back-handed way, Seattle will have enabled Sac to get rid of the Maloofs. Talk about a win-win for everybody.

It will be tempting for me to rub it in Sonics fans faces, if the vote does go our way tomorrow, which I believe it will. And I certainly can't stop anybody from the Kings side from doing that. I will say, though, that if we feel we have a great city and great fans that deserves to have our Kings stay right here, than represent your city and Kings fans by resisting that urge. If the vote goes our way, Sonics fans are going to be hurt and depressed and that could easily have been us. Not very heroic to kick somebody when they are already injured and on the ground.

Please let us take the high road and prove this is a great and classy fanbase and city. Be proud of how hard this city and fanbase have fought. Don't trash other fanbases or their city. Just be proud of us. We don't need to trash anybody to feel superior. We can be proud of our accomplishments, because we are a great fanbase and city. Its that simple.

That's all I have to say. I fear it won't make a bit of difference, but I had to try. TY.
[/h]
Excellent post,and I agree!! . If we don't stay classy, then guess what, we are just as bad as some Seattle fans have been. I don't think we want that.....Sacramento has too much pride to go down that road.
I think today is going to be the most nerve wracking of all the days we've seen so far....I just hope for a positive outcome and cross my fingers and hope that the announcement will be positive...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It was reported on News 10 that George said he's thinking about opening up negotiations again with the city of Sacto for a new arena if the BOG votes no to Seattle. Said the Maloofs had always negotiated in good faith with the city. (I nearly broke my new TV). I think the first step for the NBA is to get this family committed to the nearest institution for the criminally insane. Other than have the NBA take over the franchise, how in the world does this deal between Vivek and the Maloofs ever get concluded? How is it possible to deal with people who are just crazy?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It was reported on News 10 that George said he's thinking about opening up negotiations again with the city of Sacto for a new arena if the BOG votes no to Seattle. Said the Maloofs had always negotiated in good faith with the city. (I nearly broke my new TV). I think the first step for the NBA is to get this family committed to the nearest institution for the criminally insane. Other than have the NBA take over the franchise, how in the world does this deal between Vivek and the Maloofs ever get concluded? How is it possible to deal with people who are just crazy?
I am of the opinion that its entirely possible this entire situation, from beginning to end, has been orchestrated by David Stern to get the Maloofs out of the NBA. He drew them out with the Seattle carrot, got them to commit to leaving, and now is about to slap them with the big ole stick he always carries behind his back. The Maloofs are an impossible mess, its hard to imagine how anybody ever does business with them because they are completely random and inconsistent. But Stern is not, and he's got his teeth into them now and will keep on shaking until they say uncle and go away.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

I think the point is, there is a signed, "binding" sales agreement for the team. As long as the Sacramento agreement (that the NBA considers "binding" as well) gives the Maloofs the same amount of walking money, I think the NBA and Sacramento just say "take it or leave it" as the next bid for a non-mobile franchise will be a LOT less.

I don't think there will be much "negotiating" involved.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Poor George is trying to get the most out of his last days as an NBA owner and probably also the last time anyone will care what he has to say.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I am of the opinion that its entirely possible this entire situation, from beginning to end, has been orchestrated by David Stern to get the Maloofs out of the NBA. He drew them out with the Seattle carrot, got them to commit to leaving, and now is about to slap them with the big ole stick he always carries behind his back. The Maloofs are an impossible mess, its hard to imagine how anybody ever does business with them because they are completely random and inconsistent. But Stern is not, and he's got his teeth into them now and will keep on shaking until they say uncle and go away.
Or just open negotiations with an offer of $350 million for a non-mobile franchise that needs a new arena. ;)

But I like the "Stern-as-bulldog" idea better.

He's probably thinking if the team is "worth" $525M now, he can hold on to the team a bit longer, get the $$ from the Seattle expansion fee, get a few million by cannibalizing the team over the summer and see what the new TV contract is going to be like so he can raise his price claiming a better TV deal.

Daddy Stern is going to shut that down REALLY QUICK.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was reported on News 10 that George said he's thinking about opening up negotiations again with the city of Sacto for a new arena if the BOG votes no to Seattle. Said the Maloofs had always negotiated in good faith with the city. (I nearly broke my new TV).
There's really only two conclusions. George is either certifiable or he's the most petulant man in existence.

I don't know what that says about the rest of the Maloofs who apparently voted him team captain.

Just wow.

But this saga will be resolved soon, and in a way that gets the Maloofs out of the NBA. Stern and the BOG have zero desire to continue this grotesque soap opera.

I think you've got it. Whether or not it started out as Stern's plot, I think he has made it his plot. Please, now, let's have the end of the play.

Is it too much to hope that the NBA approves HNB's purchase of the 7%, so that Vivek can get a "cash call" out of them to fund the temporary improvements to Arco?

Status
Not open for further replies.