The wait continues and other news, rumors, etc.

This thing is starting to fall apart. I told you guys. KJ's team really dropped the ball on the bid. I'm very worried now. He has a lot of explaining to do.

Your getting annoying. KJ has made a heroic effort to get it to 525, it doesn't need to be binded unless the group was told by the nba it needed to be

This thing is starting to fall apart. I told you guys. KJ's team really dropped the ball on the bid. I'm very worried now. He has a lot of explaining to do.
Look, Im not one for blind optimism but im also not one for blind pessimism either. So could you elaborate a little more on what makes you say that today? Because the news has been kind of light today from what Ive seen.

There is no explaining to do. Whether the bid matches or not, whether the team stays or goes - this group gave it their best effort. And the best effort EVER put out by a city trying to prevent their team to be stolen. In spite of the current owners trying to sabotage that effort every step of the way.

It may or not be enough, but the truth is the end result is out of their control. If you think they didn't do the best they could, then you're either trolling or horribly misinformed.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
So then what takes three weeks to figure out?
I think they are concentrating on the arena like being sure the land has been purchased and there actually is a guarantee that an arena will be built in either city. So far all of the land has not been purchased for our arena.

I don't mean to be rude, but will you shut the hell up, please! There is no indication at all, whatsoever that this thing is falling apart.

Go grab your head in the privacy of your own home, not in a public forum where people are reasonable.

My understanding is that Hansen just finished buying the last land he needed while JMA/TeamSactown would still need to pick up a couple smaller properties for the arena site on top of what JMA currently owns. I don't think this is a big deal, but i think we still have a bit to do to get all the land acquired.
But the site location of the land that Hansen bought is the source of all their lawsuits.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I don't mean to be rude, but will you shut the hell up, please! There is no indication at all, whatsoever that this thing is falling apart.

Go grab your head in the privacy of your own home, not in a public forum where people are reasonable.
I belive in free expression, and I also believe in the ignore button ;)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Michael McCann ‏@McCannSportsLaw 19m
NBA source tells me, as Stern publicly stated, expansion truly has NOT been discussed & NOT an option. Discussion re: Kings only about Kings
Retweeted by Carmichael Dave
No big deal, most of the Sea fans I have seen post have no interest in an expansion team anyway. Now Hansen can spend the billion on a high speed rail to Portland so Seattle basketball fans can go to Blazer games.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Hmm. Is the league on a mission then to make the uncertain certain? Seems to me that if in both cases you don't have an actual arena, but instead a proposed arena, there are some inherent uncertainties with both situations. Would the league then want some financial guarantee that the arena would get constructed, so that a financial penalty would be exacted if the arena was not built on time? Developers put up bonds to guarantee construction is finished. Is that what the league wants?

As an aside, I don't like at all the fact that not all the land for the proposed arena has been purchased. It seems to me that it gives an extraordinary amount of leverage to the owner of the parcel over the Sacto group, knowing that their particular parcel may be the keystone to this huge multi-million dollar deal. That makes me very uneasy.

I agree the Seattle plan isn't complete, it is however a bit further along than the Sacramento plan, not that I'm using this as an argument point, it just seems that from everything I've read, the Seattle plan is perhaps 50-60% of the way done while Sacramento is perhaps 20-30%. Don't disregard the fact that the land for the Sacramento deal isn't in Ranadive's control, everyone whose involved in the Downtown Plaza deal is going to want to get a piece, or they're going to drive up their price since there is a major construction project. Or if the Sacramento group chooses to purchase the land, its a real financial challenge to have to secure land AFTER an arena proposal has been pushed through because then the owner of the land has control over the price of the sale, and if this proves to be difficult and there is indeed a plan B that has to be pursued, thats going to take a lot more time. Again, from everything I've read, this is a huge point that has to be settled for Sacramento. The lawsuits need to be settled for Seattle, but the land being secured is huge on Seattle's end.

I completely agree and understand this, but the league NEEDS the Maloofs gone. Legally the league cannot afford to turn down the Maloofs deal at the valuation of $550 million in order to force a sale for say $450-$500 million to the Sacramento group, the NBA is setting themselves up for a massive anti-trust litigation from the Maloofs, who can pay for their legal fees with their $30 million deposit from Hansen. Remember Al Davis? He sued the NFL for anti-trust and won, the NBA from what I have read does not have an anti-trust clause. If the league turns down Hansen's offer, and then if the Maloofs choose to sell to the Sacramento group (which is still legally in their power to choose who they can and can't sell to), they can only do it for the $550 current valuation.

Obviously in an ideal world Sacramento keeps its team and Seattle is given the expansion, but I don't really know how you do this unless the sale is approved to Hansen, who then turns around and sells to Vivek, but even under this circumstance Hansen has to get all of his money out of the deal, no businessman sells for less than what he bought particularly when Hansen could be a dick and even drive up the price (which I doubt he does, I'm just talking from a business sense, Hansen has to get paid if this is the process which secures him an expansion team). Which brings up the point of how much does Sacramento value the team in their city? If there are two teams on the table, expansion at say $450 million or whatever the figure out there may be, and the current Kings at $550 million which is the value of the Kings from Hansen's perspective, which would all of you prefer. Plus, lets take into consideration the relocation fees, which would be paid to the owners. If they're approving an expansion team out of all of this to one of our two cities, it seems to me they'd want to squeeze Hansen for the $75 million if given the option since the expansion price will get spread around to all of them anyway, thats just the way business works. Again, as a Seattle fan, I would honestly prefer the expansion team, but the reality of how that happens doesn't add up.
Here we go again.

So I get, and accept, that you are a Sonics fan. That's not my issue. My issue is that you come here and post crap. And by crap I mean wrong things that spin the situation to what seems to be Seattle's favor. Some of your ideas make sense, but then you go an make a statement like the bolded. I would have given you the benefit of the doubt had you simply not known, but you made an affirmative statement, that's why it's crap. If it makes you feel better, fine, but don't come here and post crap.

Stern has explicitly stated that "owners who have decided to exit the league do NOT retain the right to decide where the franchise is located." Now crank up your spin machine all you want. Maybe you'll say that they can still decide who to sell it to. Ah, not when the buyer is absolutely going to move the team.

so bruski tweets that Spencer Hawes has shown up at the BOG sporting a sonics hat, what a clown, we get it spencer you hate sacramento but jeez is this really nessecary?

There's been MANY instances where the highest bidder doesn't get to buy the team, but instead a lower bid with intent to keep the team in its current market keeps the team. You should know - this happened in Seattle when Bennet bought the team with a lower bid than Ellison because Bennet promised a "good faith" effort to keep the team in Seattle, which was promptly shut down by Chopp and gave him the excuse he needed to take the team to OKC.

As much as i want (and hope) that Seattle gets a team, I don't understand Seattle's obsession with getting the Kings over an expansion team. The folks in Seattle have ZERO emotional investment in this team. What's the difference? You still get a team. Why would Seattle fans prefer to do to others what was done to them?
I told everyone already my interest and preference is in an expansion team in Seattle. I'd rather start from scratch with expansion. I have no obsession over taking your team, I just don't see how its done without creating even more of a mess (ie, rejecting Hansen and putting the game back into the hands of the Maloofs, which is immensely risky in my opinion).

Last edited:
Here we go again.

So I get, and accept, that you are a Sonics fan. That's not my issue. My issue is that you come here and post crap. And by crap I mean wrong things that spin the situation to what seems to be Seattle's favor. Some of your ideas make sense, but then you go an make a statement like the bolded. I would have given you the benefit of the doubt had you simply not known, but you made an affirmative statement, that's why it's crap. If it makes you feel better, fine, but don't come here and post crap.

Stern has explicitly stated that "owners who have decided to exit the league do NOT retain the right to decide where the franchise is located." Now crank up your spin machine all you want. Maybe you'll say that they can still decide who to sell it to. Ah, not when the buyer is absolutely going to move the team.

Dude I'm not spinning anything, to be honest I read more things on your guys end than Seattle's. There is a precedent set by what Al Davis did with the Oakland Raiders, which could happen with the Maloofs. They are a total wild card in this whole situation. The NBA can't force a sale without risking litigation, especially if it ends up costing the Maloofs money, how is that spinning something in Seattle's direction? Whatever David Stern said is irrelevant because the Maloofs can theoretically file an anti-trust lawsuit, they have a case. Nobody can guarantee what the Maloofs will do if the sale to Hansen is rejected, and I'm pretty sure I read from David Aldridge that the NBA does not have an anti-trust clause that prevents lawsuits on this issue.

First off, regarding Paul Allen, even if the vote is 28-2 in our favor, it would be the **********s and Paul Allen voting yes.

Paul Allen was born in Seattle, he may even still live there (don't feel like looking that up), and owns 2 professional leagues in Seattle who he may not feel like alienating. Don't believe he was an option from the get go.

Secondly one of the reasons the NBA may be advising against a binding agreement (for NewKingsFan916), is because the owners may convene, and may feel as if they will reject the sale/relocation only if Sacramento further raises bid (though probably not)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
First off, regarding Paul Allen, even if the vote is 28-2 in our favor, it would be the **********s and Paul Allen voting yes.

Paul Allen was born in Seattle, he may even still live there (don't feel like looking that up), and owns 2 professional leagues in Seattle who he may not feel like alienating. Don't believe he was an option from the get go.

Secondly one of the reasons the NBA may be advising against a binding agreement (for NewKingsFan916), is because the owners may convene, and may feel as if they will reject the sale/relocation only if Sacramento further raises bid (though probably not)
But adding competition to his teams is not in his interest. The man clandestinely blocked a minor league ball park from being built in Portland because he was afraid it might jeopardize the Blazers.

He also has the NW exclusively right now.

Dude I'm not spinning anything, to be honest I read more things on your guys end than Seattle's. There is a precedent set by what Al Davis did with the Oakland Raiders, which could happen with the Maloofs. They are a total wild card in this whole situation. The NBA can't force a sale without risking litigation, especially if it ends up costing the Maloofs money, how is that spinning something in Seattle's direction? Whatever David Stern said is irrelevant because the Maloofs can theoretically file an anti-trust lawsuit, they have a case. Nobody can guarantee what the Maloofs will do if the sale to Hansen is rejected, and I'm pretty sure I read from David Aldridge that the NBA does not have an anti-trust clause that prevents lawsuits on this issue.
The NBA no doubt has safeguards to prevent what happend with Al Davis including one that we know of which is the "best interest of the league" clause, litigation against the NBA would go nowhere and the goof boys know it. They had a good case when anahiem was rejected too. Remember the NBA constitution and By-laws are private, the only rules we know of are ones which have been exercised before, David Stern and the NBA have been down this road before with donald sterling and I find it hard to believe that they havent covered up many of the holes he exposed in constitution/by-laws.

In my opinion the NBA has full control over who will be the buyer, if they want Sac they could have them tommorow without conflict, same goes for Seattle, I really believe the owners are split and David Stern is trying to bring them together so they make a firm, nearly unanimous choice. (to make it appear they all agreed).

I know as a Seattle fan you want an NBA team and want it now, but this logic simply isn't consistent with the reality of the situation.

If the NBA decides that they'd rather have the Kings stay in Sacramento then they simply vote no on the sale to Hansen which is the right of the BOG. If that deal is indeed voted down, then there is no offer of $550 million. Only the offer from the Sacramento group.

At that point one of three things would happen

1) The Maloofs would sell to the Sacramento group, which by definition would eliminate the chance of an anti-trust suit
2) The Maloofs would hold on to the team and possibly sue the league.
3) The NBA would use the "best interest of the league" clause to seize control of the franchise, buy out the Maloofs at the originally negotiated price and sell to the Sacramento group. Again the Maloofs could choose to sue the league.

In scenario 2, the Maloofs would find themselves once again hemorrhaging money for at least a year (because the fans would stay away in droves) while also spending millions on a lawsuit attempt that would likely fail. Besides, why would they sue the league for what amounts to somewhere between $16 million and (at most) $32.5 million when they'd likely lose at least that much after holding onto the team for a year AND paying legal fees? The third scenario probably puts them in the best position for a lawsuit but when the details are that (1) the league preferred not to approve an out of town sale and (2) the Maloofs STILL sold a franchise for way above what would be considered market value, I don't see them having a leg to stand on. When the Maloofs seemed to be hinting at an anti-trust suit when the league said no to Anaheim David Stern brushed that aside and has made subsequent comments about the league not being worried about lawsuits.

I think you can let go of the notion that Seattle is getting the Kings and Sacramento is getting an expansion team. It makes no sense on too many levels. Either there won't be expansion and either Seattle or Sacramento will get the Kings OR they will stay in Sacramento and Seattle will get an expansion team.
Option 3 is the most likely scenario, but it still opens up the possibility for a lawsuit unless the NBA pays the Maloofs for the deal they accepted. I don't see how the NBA can force the Maloofs to take less money without starring down litigation, which is why Stern made sure the money matched. Stern definitely doesn't want an ugly lawsuit from the Maloofs. I don't quite understand the statement the team "sold for way above market value", an asset's value, particularly a very illiquid asset like an NBA franchise, derives its value by the purchase price. Its not like a stock market where the asset changes hands frequently, its all based on buyers, and how much demand is out there for an NBA team. Just because theoretically the Kings may have sold for less if there weren't an out of town buyer doesn't mean it was "above market value". It was at market value, Hansen was a buyer in the market, just like Ranadive was.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Option 3 is the most likely scenario, but it still opens up the possibility for a lawsuit unless the NBA pays the Maloofs for the deal they accepted. I don't see how the NBA can force the Maloofs to take less money without starring down litigation, which is why Stern made sure the money matched. Stern definitely doesn't want an ugly lawsuit from the Maloofs. I don't quite understand the statement the team "sold for way above market value", an asset's value, particularly a very illiquid asset like an NBA franchise, derives its value by the purchase price. Its not like a stock market where the asset changes hands frequently, its all based on buyers, and how much demand is out there for an NBA team. Just because theoretically the Kings may have sold for less if there weren't an out of town buyer doesn't mean it was "above market value". It was at market value, Hansen was a buyer in the market, just like Ranadive was.
The league can assume control of the team using the "in the best interest" clause. They can then sell the team to whomever they choose and get the proceeds to the Maloofs. As has been mentioned elsewhere, because of the amounts of money the Maloofs owe to the NBA and to the City of Sacramento, there's room for negotiation on the exact amount. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility for the Maloofs to actually come out better if the sale is to Sacramento because of the aforementioned existing debts.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was wondering about that. He has a lot of posts, though.
He has a total of 88 posts since May 2010. That's not a lot of posts. He's also become a disruption to the board. Hoopster presents an opposing view we may not agree with but he brings debate to the discussion. In fact, because of some of hoopster's questions and the resulting replies, I actually feel we're gaining a better handle on the questions and possible answers.

The NBA no doubt has safeguards to prevent what happend with Al Davis including one that we know of which is the "best interest of the league" clause, litigation against the NBA would go nowhere and the goof boys know it. They had a good case when anahiem was rejected too. Remember the NBA constitution and By-laws are private, the only rules we know of are ones which have been exercised before, David Stern and the NBA have been down this road before with donald sterling and I find it hard to believe that they havent covered up many of the holes he exposed in constitution/by-laws.

In my opinion the NBA has full control over who will be the buyer, if they want Sac they could have them tommorow without conflict, same goes for Seattle, I really believe the owners are split and David Stern is trying to bring them together so they make a firm, nearly unanimous choice. (to make it appear they all agreed).
Perhaps they do have safeguards to prevent the Maloofs from filing anti-trust lawsuit to move the team wherever they'd like, but I just don't see how the league can get away with forcing an owner to take less money. It would seem to me that the laws of the United States would give the Maloofs a very good case. I'm certainly not a lawyer, but just normal business sense would tell me this decision just wouldn't hold up in court. If the money is even on both ends, then its perhaps acceptable to reject a sale to Hansen and then let Sacramento talk to the Maloofs directly, but even then its risky. The only way the NBA can avoid a lawsuit from the Maloofs if the Hansen deal is rejected, then the NBA buys the Kings for the same price as Hansen from Maloofs, then immediately turn around and sell it to Sacramento.

Can someone explain to me what went down with Spencer Hawes? I was at school during the main years before he left and lost touch with the team. What was the whole scenario that made Kings fans hate him?

He has a total of 88 posts since May 2010. That's not a lot of posts. He's also become a disruption to the board. Hoopster presents an opposing view we may not agree with but he brings debate to the discussion. In fact, because of some of hoopster's questions and the resulting replies, I actually feel we're gaining a better handle on the questions and possible answers.
Its good to have opposing views, I've learned a lot more from interacting with all of you as well. Again, I have nothing against your city whatsoever, and hopefully once we both have teams in 2014, we can all look at this whole saga as the beginning of a friendly rivalry.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
"Negative attention feels better than no attention."

Are Mommy and Daddy not spending enough time with you lately?

(I have to remember that the ignore button doesn't work when I'm not logged in).

Can someone explain to me what went down with Spencer Hawes? I was at school during the main years before he left and lost touch with the team. What was the whole scenario that made Kings fans hate him?
Basically, he's always been a giant d-bag whose been openly campaigning to return the team to Seattle. My favorite part is how many Seattle fans are chomping at the bit to sign him when they get the team back.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The Al Davis situation is very different on at least one very key point. Davis already HAD a team the hedge fund pirate WANTS a team. A law suite assures him he will be watching the NBA on TV the rest of his miserable life.