And the countdown begins and other news, rumors, etc.

Think about this... If the Sacramento group "matched" the Seattle offer by offering the Clowns $312M (which is $1M more, by the way), for their 65% of the team, AND separately reimbursing Hansen for his "lost" $30M, then this means that the Sacramento "valuation" is at $480M.

This could be what's causing all this "discrepancy". But, in effect, the Clowns get the same amount of money ($1M more), and Hansen is made whole. Thus, Sacramento's offer at a $480M valuation is better than Hansen's offer at $525M.

So don't believe the hype. These guys know what they're doing.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
Chris Daniels :
NBA BOG Chair Peter Holt- expansion not off the table.

Bryan May
BREAKING: Spurs Owner Peter Holt says no recommendation was made by Finance/relo committees today.

Think about this... If the Sacramento group "matched" the Seattle offer by offering the Clowns $312M (which is $1M more, by the way), for their 65% of the team, AND separately reimbursing Hansen for his "lost" $30M, then this means that the Sacramento "valuation" is at $480M.

This could be what's causing all this "discrepancy". But, in effect, the Clowns get the same amount of money ($1M more), and Hansen is made whole. Thus, Sacramento's offer at a $480M valuation is better than Hansen's offer at $525M.

So don't believe the hype. These guys know what they're doing.
This is the type of fuzzy math that was discussed on this very forum before Stern came out and said that Sacramento's bid was "not comparable"

The future of our only pro sport franchise plus a billion+ investment into downtown? Of course I'm really worked up about this.
This is exacly why you should be more calm right now. That because so much is at stake, and because so many powerful and wealthy people are involved, is why they wouldn't "dick the NBA around" as you stated previously. Think about it man. There's way more you don't know than what you do know, so it makes no sense to get all worked up. In any case I do think you could use a drink.

Chris Daniels :

Bryan May
BREAKING: Spurs Owner Peter Holt says no recommendation was made by Finance/relo committees today.
And boom we have our conclusion. If it's not "off the table"... then it becomes a matter of Seattle convincing the NBA why NOT be given an expansion team. That the CHAIR of the BOG put this out... the only real news from the NBA itself, is HUGE.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Chris Daniels :

Bryan May
Wild speculation but it could be that the NBA is doing an end round on the Maloofs for their little stunt on Friday. Hansen backs out with an expansion promise and the Maloofs are forced to negotiate from scratch.

We don't know the facts, they could have been "not comparable" for any number of reasons. At the time they didn't know the exact terms of the offer so there was a lot of speculation on whether the Clowns or Hansen would pay off the city loan, what would happen with NBA debt, etc.... Since then, they were able to see the actual terms of the Hansen offer, adjusted their offer and Stern declared money was not an issue any longer.

Wild speculation but it could be that the NBA is doing an end round on the Maloofs for their little stunt on Friday. Hansen backs out with an expansion promise and the Maloofs are forced to negotiate from scratch.
Nice take.

Yeah that makes sense. If all the sudden there's no Hansen by being given an expansion team, then there's no extortion leverage, and price comes way down. Explains a lot of recent happenings.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Chris Daniels :

Bryan May
I suspect expansion came back on the table because there are two credible ownership groups who also can build nice arena. Whatta deal, get rid of one piece of crap and get two glossy objects. Bad owners are not good for the NBA and two new probably good owners may be too good to pass up. The dilution of the talent pool is being trumped by credible owners in the 12th and 20th largest media markets.

I won't trust any expansion talks without any legit sources.

Plus I really think the BOG wants to rid themselves of Maloofs. If they give Seattle an expansion team then the Maloofs can tell Sacramento to **** off and they just hold on to the team and continue to run it into the ground. They may rather go broke doing nothing with the team and forcing the league to contract than to sell off at a reduced bid (which would happen is Seattle gets an expansion).

Haven't touched that site in over a week.
Let me ask you something... I see you say you go to this sonic rising site. Obviously, They are going to be biased up there. They want a team! we all know the reasons why. Now we have 4 situations at hand..

1) Sacramento keep team, Seattle gets nothing

2) Kings stay in Sacramento, Seattle gets expansion

3) Kings go to Seattle, Sacramento gets nothing

4) Sacramento keeps Kings, Seattle gets expansion

These are the only options right now. KJR Seattle says source told them that Kings will leave to Seattle and Sacramento will get expansion team to get maloofs control out of the NBA. I was saying this for the longest but no mind. The point is everything we are hearing is hearsay. Nobody really knows until Friday when someone will leak what the recommendation the NBA will do. There is no way that the NBA is going to turn down Sacramento bid. So let me tell you expansion is not off the table is what I heard and you will hear from the NBA today that it is so. So just dont give up hope bro. either way we keep the Kings we have or we make a new Kings with our history and logo and have an ownership that will put money into the team to make it a winner! mark my words! Just relax!

I suspect expansion came back on the table because there are two credible ownership groups who also can build nice arena. Whatta deal, get rid of one piece of crap and get two glossy objects. Bad owners are not good for the NBA and two new probably good owners may be too good to pass up. The dilution of the talent pool is being trumped by credible owners in the 12th and 20th largest media markets.
Expansion still being on the table is the best news I've heard all day. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Plus I really think the BOG wants to rid themselves of Maloofs. If they give Seattle an expansion team then the Maloofs can tell Sacramento to **** off and they just hold on to the team and continue to run it into the ground. They may rather go broke doing nothing with the team and forcing the league to contract than to sell off at a reduced bid (which would happen is Seattle gets an expansion).
Your ability to segment thought is truly amazing.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
And boom we have our conclusion. If it's not "off the table"... then it becomes a matter of Seattle convincing the NBA why NOT be given an expansion team. That the CHAIR of the BOG put this out... the only real news from the NBA itself, is HUGE.
Agreed. A possible look at the most sensible end for this whole ordeal.

I choose to believe that KJ and our team have followed the NBA lead on what to submit and in what form. I choose to believe that these self-made millionaires/billionaires know a lot more about the bid process required than we do. After all, one bidder is a current NBA minority owner and another has bid on a team before. They know what they are doing. There are likely technical/legal/financing reasons for doing it the way they did. Let the process play out.

Peter Holt, head of the BOG, owner of the Spurs... is not a legitimate source? Coming from his mouth is not legitimate? Wow. You just disqualified yourself.

The head of the BOG isn't a legit source? So let me get this straight You trust all the negative news from "sources" but when the BOG head comes out and says that expansion is not off the table you don't call it credible.. REally? lol

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I really hope we can focus on something other than NewKingsFan916. He/she is passionate and that's a good start at being a great Kings fan.

Is this a direct quote or is this speculation that the head of the BOG might be considering expansion?
Sorry you're not out of the penalty box yet.

EDIT: Can't resist teasing you more... Actually yeah, it's speculation. I speculated it after I read a direct quote by a major journalist quoting Peter Holt. Pure speculation that he actually said it though, so it's probably not true. Peter Holt, head of BOG, probably lets false reports about him go unaddressed all the time. So the fact he hasn't rebuked the report means nothing.

Last edited: