Fourth whale spotted!!!

Arena deal (check)
Fan support (check)
matching or exceeding offer (we will hear about this late this week or next week when KJ pitches the BOG)

Once that last one is checked off only an idiot (ahem Seattle fans) would still think Seattle has any chance.

Try to do a checklist for every reason a team would be moved. I bet you would not be able to check very many. Everyone knows the Maloofs screwed Sac (or Stern wouldn't have allowed us to pitch a plan to them). It's over once KJ gives them the matching offer.
In a earlier post, after talking how they were setting themselves up for disappointment you reflected that they were saying the same thing about us. (I don't remember your exact words, but it was to that effect.) I wonder why they would say the same thing about us as we would about them.

Pot or Kettle? Your choice because from their perspective they are saying the same thing. Both sides have strong ownership groups and strong selling points. This is uncharted waters for the NBA meaning anything taken from what has happened before leaves out part of the picture.

It has been amazing to watch. The maneuvering has been fascinating. I'm sure my co-workers (wildcat fans) would like me to shut up.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
So Vanadive runs the team and operations.
Burkle builds and runs the arena.
It would be interesting to know how Mastrov and the Jacobs family fit into the picture. Are they purely passive investors, or do they have some other function to contribute? I can't wait to hear the details about this stuff.

At this point it's hard to imagine a better team. Is there an ownership team with this much bank and this much cred in the NBA?
Hansen/Ballmer may still have more money as there are some Nordtsrom's involved also. BUT..... although money is important as it allows the owners to weather bad years, the number of investors with big brains is very important also. These are 4 groups (the Jacobs brothers are all involved I think) have different personalities, different areas of expertise, different desires, and all are creative so this could be fun. Ranadivé and Burkle have shown they can manage a pro sports team. It really blows me away what we have and if this was orchestrated as to when people were announced, it was like watching a small train in the distance chugging up the hill and coming on like a huge freight change at the finish line. This last week absolutely has to have caught the attention of the rest of the country.

In a earlier post, after talking how they were setting themselves up for disappointment you reflected that they were saying the same thing about us. (I don't remember your exact words, but it was to that effect.) I wonder why they would say the same thing about us as we would about them.

Pot or Kettle? Your choice because from their perspective they are saying the same thing. Both sides have strong ownership groups and strong selling points. This is uncharted waters for the NBA meaning anything taken from what has happened before leaves out part of the picture.

It has been amazing to watch. The maneuvering has been fascinating. I'm sure my co-workers (wildcat fans) would like me to shut up.
It's basically a fight with even money, even arena deals in place and even fans (although I say Sacramento fans are better), so if you look at it logically why would you chose to move the team from one place to another when they are doing perfectly fine where they are?

Seattle fans are scurrying right now. They are grasping at straws. That old site (Anaheimroyalty) was the same way near the end. Same arguments ect. It's not going to be pretty, for Seattle.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jed York ‏@JedYork 12h
@AlexBecerraaa @KJ_MayorJohnson will do everything he can to win for Sacramento. I like the group that's trying to keep them in town
Hey Jed, are you suuuure you don't want to invest in an NBA team?

It's basically a fight with even money, even arena deals in place and even fans (although I say Sacramento fans are better), so if you look at it logically why would you chose to move the team from one place to another when they are doing perfectly fine where they are?

Seattle fans are scurrying right now. They are grasping at straws. That old site (Anaheimroyalty) was the same way near the end. Same arguments ect. It's not going to be pretty, for Seattle.
I wouldn't, but I'm biased. It really depends on what they (the NBA) want and what importance they put on the variables. If expansion is truly off the table (I hope it's not), the NBA has a difficult choice.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Can't wait to see how Seattle spins this.
"I hear the Bucks might be for sale in a couple years!"

-Seattle's positive spin.

Really though, we should start calling KJ Captain Ahab with all these whales he's bringing in. This is starting to look pretty good for us. Seattle's bid is getting matched, no doubt.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"I hear the Bucks might be for sale in a couple years!"

-Seattle's positive spin.
Even better yet. They're taking the Maloof approach of "THIS DEAL IS BAD FOR SACRAMENTO!"

So there is a report that the Sacramento Council vote may be delayed for 2 days so that it can be reviewed and evaluated.

Now I don’t think that this will matter much in the scheme of things (in fact I’m pretty sure that none of this matters much) but I am hopeful that it happens.

You only have to look at Kevin Johnson’s interview yesterday to realize that he really does not want to address the deal points of this issue. I highly recommend that you fast forward to the 8 minute mark and listen to the response given to a straight yes or no question.
The truth about their deal is that unless they hit the 1.4 million attendance figure every single year (which is the average of their best years, far in excess of what they can possibly get without playoff appearances) this deal is structured in a way that practically ensures that hotel money will come out of the general fund to repay those bond payments.
I don’t know whether the NBA will look closely at the potential regional impacts of this deal but I do think that they have to have some sense of accountability. Do they want front page headlines as their arena deal being the straw that broke the camels back and lead Sacramento to bankruptcy? Has the city government provided enough assurances that they will not wind up repeating Stockton’s mistakes?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Milwaukee wants to keep the team and are thinking of a Green Bay model toward public ownership. I'm not sure if that will fly. I can't see Milwaukee casually letting their team go just because Hansen doesn't have a team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice to see that Sonics fans care so deeply about our city's financial well being. It's good to have them and George Maloof looking out for us and trying to protect us from bad deals.

From the time the Kings moved into Arco II in 88-89 the team has averaged an attendance of 650,000 (653,167 officially) fans per year. That's including two lockout shortened seasons AND the last few seasons as attendance has dipped amid relocation rumors.

The Kings didn't have a spike in fans during their "best four seasons". In reality they sold out every game for an entire season 15 times, most of them in the doldrums of the 90s. That's over 700,000 fans for the season. And more importantly, that's utilizing 41 dates at the arena, without even considering the possibility of playoffs. Meaning the arena is available to host other events 321 days of the year. Even if only 100 of them are used for paid events that involve parking, tickets etc those events would only need an average attendance of 7,000 to reach the 1.4 million plateau. And that's without even considering that the new arena will likely have additional seating capacity. The Sprint Center in KC averages nearly a million visitors without an anchor tenant so I'd wager that the targets in the term sheet are relatively conservative.

Term Sheet read and understood - Check
Speech Written - Check
Time to leave for Sacramento and council meeting - Check

I'm already nervous as heck. But I forge ahead for everyone that can't be there. :)

Im a little surprised that Chris Webber has been so quiet on this matter lately. Maybe he isn't allowed to comment since he is a part of the NBA.tv family.
Yeah, and TNT as well. They keep those guys under cotracts so strict they'd make you or I feel like there was a drill sergant screaming in our face.

Vivike Ranadive just did about a 10 minute interview with Jason Ross on 1140. VERY IMPRESSIVE. This guy's temperament alone will be a welcome addition to this franchise. His personality screams confidence, money and class, unlike..........

Once this thing goes through, Sacramento will be very fortunate to have men like this running the Kings organization.

Yeah, and TNT as well. They keep those guys under cotracts so strict they'd make you or I feel like there was a drill sergant screaming in our face.
thats not true, barkeley basically says whatever he wants, alot of commentators have come out in direct support of sac, magic, jalen, bill simmons, Shaq, Kenny etc..

I think what grant did really turned webber off to all of this, yeah webber messed up on tnt about the situation but grant didnt have to embarass him like he did.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Vivike Ranadive just did about a 10 minute interview with Jason Ross on 1140. VERY IMPRESSIVE. This guy's temperament alone will be a welcome addition to this franchise. His personality screams confidence, money and class, unlike..........

Once this thing goes through, Sacramento will be very fortunate to have men like this running the Kings organization.
Nice to hear. Were there any specifics that popped out at you from the interview?

Nice to hear. Were there any specifics that popped out at you from the interview?
Nothing really specific; just his overall confidence in the Sacramento market and the fans. You know, through out this situation you, me and all Kings fans have felt like an emotionally abused children whose father is cheating on our mother, and every time he comes home he tells us how worthless we are and threatens to move out of the house.

Mr. Ranadive whole vibe just makes me feel like I have worth and value and that my mother will be very well taken care of by her new man.

The Maloofs just backed out of the arena deal. VERY UNIMPRESSIVE. These guy's temperaments alone will be an unwelcome addition to this franchise.
Once this thing goes through, Sacramento will be very unfortunate to have men like this ruining the Kings organization.
There's another way of looking at things.