David Stern's presser and latest news, rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From ProBasketballtalk

...But when a Seattle reporter tried to suggest that the way the Sonics left last time would impact this time, Stern shot him down fast.

“This is being done by the book,” Stern said. “But I seem to remember, and you can correct me if I’m wrong, that there was a $300 million plus subsidy for the Mariners, and a $300 million plus subsidy for the Seahawks, and there was a legislation which precluded that for the Sonics, and Speaker Chopp said that we should take the money from our players.”

What Sacramento has now that Seattle didn’t then was a mayor fully committed to getting a deal in place...

I only saw a 6-7 snippet of Stern, but I just saw him playing both sides again, although he did note the Sonics left due to lack of local support which is good to get out there

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I missed all the pressers due to a birthday party and my son's baseball practice and basketball game. None of the links above seem to have the pressers available. Any assistance on where to see them would be greatly appreciated!

Edit - Stern's presser and Q&A are available at the NBA video site. I didn't see it earlier but found it the second time.

Last edited:
I liked what KJ had to say, was confident in what he had, and the last question where he explained why our arena plans are more agreeable than Seattles gave me a more positive outlook

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
RT @Ryan_Lillis: Some #Sacramento Council members have expressed reluctance to support #NBAKings arena plan until they know details

SPOILER ALERT: It's McCarty and Fong. McCarty had his butt firmly planted on the "I'm a blowhard" bandwagon last time around. Fong, on the other hand, is much more likely to vote yes once he sees the info. Even still, a whopping two "no" votes is still three short of stopping any arena approval which probably isn't happening when KJ, Warren, Ashby, Cohn, and Schenirer are sitting on the council (Pannell is 99.5% a yes vote as well). Hansen's a bit of a wild card but probably won't make too much of a difference one way or another.

At the very worst, I see a 6-3 vote.

Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis
CM McCarty tells me: A $250m public subsidy deserves a thoughtful & vigorous debate at City Council addressing the many unanswered questions
Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis
CM Fong: Until I see the details of the financials and the proposal, I'm not committing to anything

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm reading Seattle sites so the rest of you don't have to.

Found this nugget.

jenn_gp says:
February 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm
I made the mistake of reading comments at Kingsfans.com and STR about Stern’s press conference. I would say their expectations of keeping the team are much higher and they felt Stern was on their side. I don’t understand how they could feel that way. Stern said nothing to lean from one side to the other.

Some of us here felt the tone was more in our favor, but some were also realistic enough to say Stern’s comments made no impact on the progress of the situation.

And they completely hate Chris Daniels. They find him to be 110% biased in our favor, which couldn’t be any further from the truth. Instead they choose to trust complete hacks like Bruski. Daniels reports the facts…more than any other reporter I’ve seen. He doesn’t twist or spin words unlike a certain Sac reporter has has every step of the way. Don’t hate on a guy for reporting the fact, sorry if you don’t wanna hear it. Sheesh.

I feel I wasted 50 IQ points trying to sort through the Sac drivel. Blame a boring Saturday night for that!

I'm reading Seattle sites so the rest of you don't have to.

Found this nugget.
Yeah, i read that too. Some of the people that post on that site are delusional. Just about all of us understand we are fighting an uphill battle. I saw one the other day that had the nerve to claim that we were guilty of "confirmation bias" but if you were to read 99% of what is posted on that site you would think that this deal was 100% done. Which its not. I see so many posts every day claiming that we are out of the loop and know nothing about the seattle situation yet a sonics fan will then post about how KJ is just bloviating about having whales and an arena deal in the works. "AARON BRUSKI IS FULL OF CRAP... CHRIS DANIELS IS JESUS!". Its so funny to read there posts trying to justify the maloofs actions by claiming that there is "no way Sacramento didn't know the team was for sale". When i read their posts i can almost feel the guilt permeating through the screen, yet just about all of them are claiming zero bad feelings because "thats the way the NBA works". Hey Seattle fans, I have a message for you.... Burkle and Mastrov exist, an arena deal in Sac will be worked out by march 1st. KJ is the Hero Sacramento deserves AND the one it needs right now.... seattle can smear him, but he can take it... because he IS our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight....

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
"AARON BRUSKI IS FULL OF CRAP... CHRIS DANIELS IS JESUS!"
Do they still feel that way after the new orifice that Stern ripped Daniels in the presser? Because nobody can turn a blind eye to a thing of beauty like that. If you can't see it, it could only be because your line of sight is being obscured by your colon.

Do they still feel that way after the new orifice that Stern ripped Daniels in the presser? Because nobody can turn a blind eye to a thing of beauty like that. If you can't see it, it could only be because your line of sight is being obscured by your colon.
I actually haven't seen the presser yet. Is there a short clip of the "tearing" that i can watch?

edit: i just found it, yea he definitely got pissed. When the seattle guys pee of stern that can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
From what I read, yes they still feel that way. He can no wrong.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Regarding the comments on the Sonics site: Of course they're going to be as hopeful on their site as we are here. I would expect nothing less of them. The defensive comments they've made are because they want a team back. I can sympathize with them as the real Sonics fans got hosed by the events that took away their team. The mere fact they're reading the comments here and at StR just means they're trying to find nuggets of information to bolster their spirits and hopes. I honestly think they were surprised that we put up a fuss about the sleazy way the attempt was made to sell our team behind our backs.

All I'm asking is that we keep the high road. No trolling over there that might come back here, please.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Can someone please post a link to Stern's press conference. One where I don't have to go on an easter egg hunt. I've gone to two of the links posted, and I couldn't find it. Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but it would be nice to just click on a link and watch the damm thing. PLEASE!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Regarding the comments on the Sonics site: Of course they're going to be as hopeful on their site as we are here. I would expect nothing less of them. The defensive comments they've made are because they want a team back. I can sympathize with them as the real Sonics fans got hosed by the events that took away their team. The mere fact they're reading the comments here and at StR just means they're trying to find nuggets of information to bolster their spirits and hopes. I honestly think they were surprised that we put up a fuss about the sleazy way the attempt was made to sell our team behind our backs.

All I'm asking is that we keep the high road. No trolling over there that might come back here, please.
Damm, I had my deep sea pole with 50 pound test all ready to go. :D

Glenn

Hall of Famer
http://www.nba.com/video/

There is no way of providing a link that will pop up the proper video. On the page presented above in the lower right corner under a section called NEW VIDEOS is the full 36 minute press conference and it is labeled as "Stern's Full Presser." It was there last night and I am watching it right now.

BTW, I have read many notes on this presser and if you want the REAL truth, unfiltered through some one else's mind, watch the presser. I came away with a different "feel" about what he said as I filtered it through what I already knew.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer

There is no way of providing a link that will pop up the proper video. On the page presented above in the lower right corner under a section called NEW VIDEOS is the full 36 minute press conference and it is labeled as "Stern's Full Presser." It was there last night and I am watching it right now.

BTW, I have read many notes on this presser and if you want the REAL truth, unfiltered through some one else's mind, watch the presser. I came away with a different "feel" about what he said as I filtered it through what I already knew.
Well, thanks for the effort, but I've been to that page a hundred times, and no where on that page when I pull it up, not at the lower right part of the page, or anywhere on the page, does it say new videos. I did a search on that page and it listed David Sterns full presser, but it wouldn't load up, and said the link was broken. So I guess I'll just give up, unless someone can just insert the video, which is what I'll do if I can ever see the thing.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Let me try this and see what happens.

They move it around. I found it on page 2 of all the videos. I'm afraid you are going to have to look through the list of videos.

A minute later: I also plugged in the word "stern" in the NBA's search engine and found the presser and several other Stern videos.

Let me comment on my somewhat cryptic note about having to watch the presser to get the correct meaning behind what Stern said. I feel more confident having gone straight to the source although there is always the caveat that Stern says he doesn't get to vote. His comment about the hoping the owners would be flexible or whatever it was was directed at the 30 NBA owners unless I REALLY misinterpreted it. He did not mean the Maloofs. I hope that he gets to express his opinion in the BOG deliberation in April and I can hardly imagine a situation where he wouldn't get to express his opinion. He is our ally and we have seen that in many forms. I presume he is an ally to Seattle also as it is no benefit to the NBA to slam a door on either Sacramento or Seattle and to maximize the chances of both means the end up with the best for the league.

His comment that economics would not be a factor was directed straight at the possibility of a bidding war. The potential owners can have a bidding war if they wish but the sale price is not what the NBA is looking at. Why should they? It is only the Maloofs that benefit from a bidding war. The NBA gets nothing.

The way I see it is that the only way we can fail is if there really is no Burkle/Mastrov allegiance that works; that they can't work out a cooperative venture. It's their money after all and as I think it will take owners willing to lose money to build a great Kings team, it may depend on how much they are willing to lose. My read is that both are competitive enough to be willing to lose money but how much?

As to the comments on the Seattle forum, if I were from Seattle, I would comment the same way. They do not have the several year's experience with Burkle, Mastrov, AEG, the city, our rabid fans and mayor, and the NBA's support of our efforts. The NBA's support of Sacramento, not the present owners, is the part that Seattle fans do not know. I think it is a shame that Seattle does not have the Sonics but then I would like to watch MLB and the NFL without driving to the Bay Area also.

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
Oh, he's the clip of Stern reminding Chris Daniels of what happened in Seattle...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.