David Stern's presser and latest news, rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

I like turtles
I hope we're all able to take a deep breath while watching today's press conference. David Stern is a master at political answerers.

David Stern changed his tie from Purple to Yellow. Purple being the Kings color, yellow being Sonics. Oh noes!

Yes, there is way too much reading into things that aren't there, which is bound to happen with important matters. But the factt hat people take inane double-speak, like David Sterns "leaving sac is bad, going back to Seattle is good" as something of importance is interesting

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I take it you are listening to Stern but I never thought it would come down to ecomomics. Assuming legalities are taken care of, it will come down to principle. This may mean that the NBA is looking out for its own appearance. Assuming I am correct, the decision can only go one way. It will end up in the hands of the Maloofs to either retain ownership or sell to a Sacramento buyer. Perhaps that is too assertive but it is the way I see it.

If it came down to economics, there is no telling what would happen. It would be a bidding war and we don't know how that turns out. We don't want it coming down to economics so this is good news. If Stern is referring to the economics of the league, I say "Yippee!! We can hope it all comes down to principle. Does a rich man get to take a team from a city just because he has money and connections with the present owner? If this is allowed, there could be a bit of chaos as rich people could swallow up teams and move them around the country as they wished.

I take it you are listening to Stern but I never thought it would come down to ecomomics. Assuming legalities are taken care of, it will come down to principle. This may mean that the NBA is looking out for its own appearance. Assuming I am correct, the decision can only go one way. It will end up in the hands of the Maloofs to either retain ownership or sell to a Sacramento buyer. Perhaps that is too assertive but it is the way I see it.

If it came down to economics, there is no telling what would happen. It would be a bidding war and we don't know how that turns out. We don't want it coming down to economics so this is good news. If Stern is referring to the economics of the league, I say "Yippee!! We can hope it all comes down to principle. Does a rich man get to take a team from a city just because he has money and connections with the present owner? If this is allowed, there could be a bit of chaos as rich people could swallow up teams and move them around the country as they wished.

Not coming down to economics hopefully means that Sacramento doesn't necessarily have to match or beat Seattle, and that what is best for the league in principle will happen

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looked like a good time to split the thread again so we can continue to discuss the Stern presser. I have to say I think he was very supportive of Sacramento and it's pretty clear - at least to my purple-tinted vision - that he wants KJ to step forth with a legitimate viable offer.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Looked like a good time to split the thread again so we can continue to discuss the Stern presser. I have to say I think he was very supportive of Sacramento and it's pretty clear - at least to my purple-tinted vision - that he wants KJ to step forth with a legitimate viable offer.
KJ ust so happens to be having a presser at 5. Will he reveal the master plan? I don't think so. But it will be interesting to say the least.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Stern - "I don't see a scenario where both cities (Sacramento and Seattle) are happy."
That's the one thing I don't like about this last spree. If the expansion option was on the tabel then you have 2 ways to win, 1 way to lose but salvage something, and only 1 way to lose. (i.e. keep Kings, keep Kings and expansion to Seattle vs. lose Kings but get expansion vs. lose Kings outright).

Take that off the table and its a straight 50/50 all win or all lose thing.

At which point, you just say **** it and find a way to win even if it means destroying your opponent's dreams.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That's the one thing I don't like about this last spree. If the expansion option was on the tabel then you have 2 ways to win, 1 way to lose but salvage something, and only 1 way to lose. (i.e. keep Kings, keep Kings and expansion to Seattle vs. lose Kings but get expansion vs. lose Kings outright).

At which point, you just say **** it and find a way to win even if it means destroying your opponent's dreams.
I'm pretty sure Kevin Johnson is going for the win. And I firmly believe David Stern cares more about Sacramento retaining the Kings than he does having the mess of the move to Seattle be one of last things done under his leadership.

I'll be totally blunt. I don't care if Seattle gets an expansion team or not. It's about OUR team in OUR town. We've done everything that was asked of us and more. Seattle didn't. End of discussion. /end of being totally blunt

Chris Daniels‏@ChrisDaniels5

Stern also said “I don’t have any plans to champion expansion” and with owners “I don’t see any push for expansion” #NBAKings #NBASeattle

Stern and Silver expand on that - and Silver says there is a question on diluting player pool.

Oh boy! Got my question answered.....

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Am I the only one who got complete enjoyment out of hearing David Stern destroy Chris Daniels?
Loved it. Cackled several times.

On the question of the KJ presser, News10 does not appear to have anything right now. Are we confident there was supposed to be one at 5?

Try News 10's website.

Now hearing KJ is running late. #NBAKings

Hoping to do a live report during our 5pm KING5 newscast on Stern’s latest comments on #NBAKings… after KJ talks to media.

Only person I could find that knows what is going on. Heard him on Grant Napier show so thought I would see if he knew anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.