Grade the offseason moves so far

Grade the offseason moves so far

• Total voters
Already have had 4 years of 25 wins or less. At this point Petrie needs to bring this roster together and instead we have more question marks in Robinson, Brooks, and Johnson. We still have roster clutter with roles and playing time yet to be defined. It would not surprise me to see another pathetic season and if so this one goes directly on Petrie.

It's not a dream world trade to think that Lowry + Dalembert + mid 1st rounder(s) for #5 + Hayes + change was there for us. Adding two proven vets as starters that are great defenders would have gone a long way towards stabilizing this team and defining roles. Instead we'll be watching Robinson develop over the next couple of years. Cue up the "he's still a rookie. give him a chance to grow" comments in the post game blowout threads. I hope it works out and in the long run Robinson may be worth way more than that package but this team has got to start winning. It's getting pathetic.

I like the JT deal and think the Johnson trade is interesting and worth the risk, but I hope Petrie is right about taking Robinson over a vet package.
The most disappointing thing about the (lack of) a draft trade is the fact that it now looks like Trob may not be as NBA ready as thought. The knocks on possible (and great fitting) picks like Henson and T Jones were their ability to contribute right away. It's only summer league, but so far, those guys look a lot more ready.

I don't even want to think about missing out on Lowry+Dally and settling for Hayes/Brooks.

It's still very early of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if T. Jones ends up being better than Robinson at PF. It was possible that we could have gotten Lowry, Jones + Taylor (or whoever with the 14th pick) for the 5th pick. Even Lillard might turn out to be one of the best from the draft, and he would have been a better option than Brooks. Would have left us with cap room to now make a run at AK too.

But that's all irrelevant now. Hopefully T-Rob develops like we think I can. Before someone jumps in, no I'm not writing him off based on SL. I still think he'll be a good player.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The most disappointing thing about the (lack of) a draft trade is the fact that it now looks like Trob may not be as NBA ready as thought. The knocks on possible (and great fitting) picks like Henson and T Jones were their ability to contribute right away. It's only summer league, but so far, those guys look a lot more ready.

I don't even want to think about missing out on Lowry+Dally and settling for Hayes/Brooks.
That's one of the risks you run when players refuse to work out for you and you draft them without seeing them upclose in a workout. I still like TRob a lot, but more as a player than a fit. Not going after the Lowry deal could prove to be a huge mistake. We'll have to wait and see though.

As for the off season, I like the JJ pickup. Some don't, but I think he'll fit well, potentially, IF he's used as a SF and Reke is moved back to guard.

Not adding a defensive big after singling it out as a need is a failure.

Signing Brooks I hate. Signing Brooks and not clearing out backcourt room I hate even more and actually could be the biggest mistake of this off season. Some say we're simply gaining assets we could move, and MT has a good deal. If MT is such an asset and a great deal on his contract, then why aren't we, or haven't we moved him? It's possible Petrie wants to give him a chance as a 6th man, but if he's considered a starting SG on a cheap contract, and the league knows we have too many backcourt players and need to move someone, you'd think Petrie's phone is ringing off the hook with teams wanting MT. We'll see....IMO MT needs 30+mins per night for his contract, and if he's cut down to 15-20 mins per night then paying him 8M to do so doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: I'll also add not going after McMillan or Sloan is a failure. Not brought up by the OP, but with some top name coaches on the market we have decided to bypass them in favor of Smart. That to me, is also a failure, regarding our coaching, which wasn't too impressive in Vegas either to say the least.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Also, Woj just tweeted Minn is going after AK and he's no longer considering Brooklyn. Say waht you want, but Minn is being aggressive and looking for the right type of pieces.

B

baller13

So we got a veteran Pg who shoots about 40% from 3, we got a small forward who is actually the size of an nba small forward unlike salmons and garcia who just got pounded in the post by the big time small forwards, and we a got a top 5 rookie no matter how you rank them and people still are not happy. Some people are actually upset because we waived whiteside? Quick question, if he is so good why had nobody picked him up yet??? If Travis outlaw has anykind of a resurgence i think we will have a very good rotation at SF, Brooks and IT will be a goo rotation at Pg, Tyreke goes back to playing guard where he can use his skills properly, and Cuz, jt and Trob is a pretty good rotation up front. Why are some of you upset? maybe you would be happy if we paid 100 million dollars to have javale mcgee and nicolas batum. No thanks.

So we got a veteran Pg who shoots about 40% from 3, we got a small forward who is actually the size of an nba small forward unlike salmons and garcia who just got pounded in the post by the big time small forwards, and we a got a top 5 rookie no matter how you rank them and people still are not happy. Some people are actually upset because we waived whiteside? Quick question, if he is so good why had nobody picked him up yet??? If Travis outlaw has anykind of a resurgence i think we will have a very good rotation at SF, Brooks and IT will be a goo rotation at Pg, Tyreke goes back to playing guard where he can use his skills properly, and Cuz, jt and Trob is a pretty good rotation up front. Why are some of you upset? maybe you would be happy if we paid 100 million dollars to have javale mcgee and nicolas batum. No thanks.
Yes, if you look at each position, it is very possible the team could have 10+ contender quality rotation players.

But the problem is this isn't fantasy basketball, where the numbers of each individual can just accumulate into a winning team. The players have to actually play with each other, and with the same basketball, which is where the problem lies. JT, Johnson, and Hayes are the team's only players who have had success without needing the ball. And Johnson actually does his best offensive work with the ball, driving to the basket.

It's hard to say it was a bad offseason when the team got better, but the team could really only go in one direction and it took the least effective path.