Signing Gerald Wallace

Why isn't these being more openly discussed? He's a free agent as well right? I know the Nets want to bring him back, but I really hope we're able to compete in bidding for Gerald Wallace or Nicolas Batum. I think if we added either of those guys we'd be in great shape for next season.

he's probably not interested in playing here, we would have to overpay for an over the hill SF who doesnt fit what we need offensively.

I don't think our current ownership will overpay for anyone... we're working on an extreme budget here. First off any potential player has to make fiscal sense... basketball sense is second I think sadly.

Gerald Wallace needs to be avoided. He was horrid defensively last year and he's never really had any sort of an offensive game. He's only going to get worse as well

Entity

Hall of Famer
We discuss it every year. Wallace and AK. Quite frankly I'm tired of hearing about both of them every year. Maybe when they are 50. They won't be mentioned.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gerald Wallace needs to be avoided. He was horrid defensively last year and he's never really had any sort of an offensive game. He's only going to get worse as well

Um...his teams oddly seemed to get dramatically better on defense when he was on the court. In fact his defensive +/- in Portalnd might be the largest I have seen, and that was with Batum subbing in for him.

Portland was 12.5pts per 100poss better oin defense with him on court.
New Jersey was 2.8pts per 100poss better.

He creates havoc and guys all over the court have to think about him.

Um...his teams oddly seemed to get dramatically better on defense when he was on the court. In fact his defensive +/- in Portalnd might be the largest I have seen, and that was with Batum subbing in for him.

This is how I feel about him. Hell, he never should have gotten away in the first place. But we don't need him to do too much on offense. I see DeMarcus, IT, Reke, and Thornton doing a lot more offensively this coming season. Not to mention Thomas Robinson.

Gerald Wallace- NBA Rank

0.95 PPP overall (399)
0.92 PPP ISO defender (260)
0.92 PPP Post-up defender (204)
1.05 PPP Spot-up defender (303)

You want to pay 9+ mil for this?

Glenn

Hall of Famer

I agree with Brick wholeheartedly. Wallace still has energy and if you put him on a team with Robinson and Cousins, you have a team that will leave opponents black and blue. Age seems to be a number one disqualifier for a lot of these discussions but I think it is age that we lack. With age comes wisdom (hopefully) and leadership.

He might not demand a lot of money. Who knows unless you ask? The culture of this team would change with Robinson and Crash and I mean in a good way. I'd be thrilled to have him back. Let's do it right with him and make up for the last time around which I am sure left a bad taste in his mouth. This latter point should have nothing to do with the decision, BTW, but it would bring things around full circle for our relationship with him and I kinda like that.

Batum would be better but we'll never get him unless Portland is stupid.

I live in Portland and watch a ton of Blazer games. You are wrong. You can spew any stat you want, but this guy effected the game on defense with energy, athleticism and a nose for the ball. When he left that team fell apart defensively. (though they shipped Camby off at basically the same time so his impact cannot be truly measured.)

KF's are so predictable - they look at a player's age and disqualify them, while ignoring how they (and their teams) play on the court.

For instance - Jason Kidd is a frigging fossil, and he keeps up just fine with the competition, while providing all those veteran bonuses that the Kings lack.

It's not like the Kings, and their inexperienced youth that continually get shown up and embarrassed on the court, have done anything to be protective about for the past 6 years....

You'd think, just for a change, KF's would want their FO to actually get someone proven and reliable on the team - just to shake things up (and no, I don't mean reliable like John Salmons).

Nets will do everything to retain Wallace. They think he will be a third banana to Howard and Williams. What's even worse, retaining Wallace doesn't preclude Nets from signing Kirilenko since both of them can play PF especially Kirilenko who plays PF in Europe.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I would dance in the street if we signed Gerald Wallace. My rational side would say he has injury issues, his athleticism may start slipping in his 30s, and he's not a great 3 point shooter. But bringing him back home to Sacramento feels right. Cousins and Robinson are bruisers down low who play with a lot of energy. Tyreke is the ultimate smash-mouth offensive guard. Wallace fits right in with that game plan. Batum is a better fit offensively and he's also a difference maker on defense, but Wallace would be 1b on my free agent list and we might actually have a chance too if Brooklyn goes out and gets AK47.

Plus, in basketball it's never a bad thing to sign a guy who can literally fly. (see avatar picture for proof)

Bricklayer

Gerald Wallace- NBA Rank

0.95 PPP overall (399)
0.92 PPP ISO defender (260)
0.92 PPP Post-up defender (204)
1.05 PPP Spot-up defender (303)

You want to pay 9+ mil for this?

I don't entirely trust those numbers -- as always I want to know how they are compiled, and who does the compiling -- but let me try to potentially reconcile them anyway:

it would not entirely surprise me if Gerald Wallace did not score out as an individual defensive stopper.

Gerald is like a free safety in (American) football (I suppose a sweeper in soccer). He's an uber athlete who has blatantly said he prefers to play without an intricate system, preferring to use his instincts and athleticism to race around making plays on everybody else's men. Like a great shotblocker, Gerald becomes a hustling x factor that opposing offensive players always have to worry about. beat your man, and you don't know when and where this flying pteredactyl might come swooping in to poke away a steal, to block your shot, to race in fornt of you or fly in for a board you thought you had. All the loose balls and floor burns go to him. Everybody on the other team always has one eye on him trying to keep track of where he is. And its infectious. The rest of his team feeds off his energy and hustle, and soon the whole team is swarming about attacking whoever has the ball. And maybe during that Gerald gets a little sloppy about his own man? Sure. Possible. But not the point. He's a defensive catalyst. And a defensive catalyst is what a young team coming off a terrible defenisve season needs. Gerald does not impress as a leader by words, but his actions have always led to his teams being strong defensively. Give a defensive leader to inspire TRob and Reke and IT to fly around, get some support in the flying mega athlete realm by TWill. Get Cousins diving on the floor. And maybe he isn't always settled on his own man, but if the whole team benefits, who cares?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

I would dance in the street if we signed Gerald Wallace. My rational side would say he has injury issues, his athleticism may start slipping in his 30s, and he's not a great 3 point shooter. But bringing him back home to Sacramento feels right. Cousins and Robinson are bruisers down low who play with a lot of energy. Tyreke is the ultimate smash-mouth offensive guard. Wallace fits right in with that game plan. Batum is a better fit offensively and he's also a difference maker on defense, but Wallace would be 1b on my free agent list and we might actually have a chance too if Brooklyn goes out and gets AK47.

Plus, in basketball it's never a bad thing to sign a guy who can literally fly. (see avatar picture for proof)
You know what...I had not considered the Ak47/Gerald fighting for the same NJ SF spot angle (let's pray they do not try to sign both of them). You're right. Assuming they can only go with one, it means that one of those guys gets thrown out on the open market instead fo the logical Brooklyn destination.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My only real concern about Wallace is he's about one concussion away from forced retirement ... and bringing him to Sacramento is like putting a kid with a pork chop around its neck into a lion's cage and hoping it won't get eaten.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
AK and GW are obviously two great SF targets. But another one given our pick is Ilyasova. He can play some 4, and pre-Trob I would have been nervous about Smart just plugging him in as a PF. But given the TRob/Cuz pairing, I'd heavily consider targeting Ilyasova as our SF and defensively he would do very well at SF.

Considering

AK
GW
Ilyasova are FA's

and

Iggy
Marion

are on the block,

along with
Batum RFA
Pierce FA

on the market, there are a number of SF's who could be targeted, and the number possibly available, not including Granger/Gay/Deng possibly available on the trade block as well might mean a few will end up where they want while others will have to search for a good contract on a lesser team. I'm hopeful given the large number of SF's available/rumored to be, that we might be able to pluck one.

Ilyasova is tough but he can't defend wings. He's a 4 who can play some 3, not the other way around. Like a bigger Nocioni except he likes to rebound instead of jack 3's. He's not the defense first wing this team needs, rather re-sign JT to be the 3rd big.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
My only real concern about Wallace is he's about one concussion away from forced retirement ... and bringing him to Sacramento is like putting a kid with a pork chop around its neck into a lion's cage and hoping it won't get eaten.
Yeah, I had forgotten about all the concussions. I knew there was some reason why I wasn't really considering him as a serious option before. But again, that's a rational argument and I'm only half listening when it comes to Wallace. I mean, dude can fly! Come on now. :D

Ilyasova is tough but he can't defend wings. He's a 4 who can play some 3, not the other way around. Like a bigger Nocioni except he likes to rebound instead of jack 3's. He's not the defense first wing this team needs, rather re-sign JT to be the 3rd big.
Exactly this. Ily is a 4 through and through and a damn good one at that

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Exactly this. Ily is a 4 through and through and a damn good one at that
Disagree. I do like him as a PF, but also as a SF and think he could/has excelled at both. You're a fan of 82games and while stats never tell the whole story they to tell part.

Per-48

PF:
PER-20.3
Opp PER-18.2
Net PER-2.1

SF:
PER-40.5
Opp PER-31.0
Net PER-9.5

Very good rebounder when at SF, better passer when at PF. Now, 82games also says he's best at center, but we'd obviously not play him there. Point is this doesn't suggest he's a PF "through and through", at all. It suggests he can excel and has at either position.

I just feel like we are setting ourselves up for disappointment if we are expecting to sign any of the good FAs out there. There are a number of reasons why it is mission impossible.

1. Money
The Maloofs do not have the money to spend, hence why we are in real danger of losing Tyreke Evans. He will either get traded or we will not match his offer than he will no doubt get from other teams. These clowns do not have the funds to own a basketball team and will continue to hover around the minimum salary cap. If we re-sign JT and with Thomas Robinson we are either close to or on the minimum. If not we might sign T-Will and call it an off-season.

2. Uncertainty
As we have seen with the draft work outs for top prospects, Sacramento has been red-flagged by the agents and the NBA community. Good FAs always have the options and Sacramento would be right down the bottom of their list....that is assuming we are on the list to start with. The only way we could get a good FA is if we severely overpay and we know that is not going to happen because of money...Maloofs don't have any to run an NBA team.

This is going to be another off-season like last year where we hoped for big things and ended up with big fat nothing. The only way this whole situation changes is if we get new ownership.

Disagree. I do like him as a PF, but also as a SF and think he could/has excelled at both. You're a fan of 82games and while stats never tell the whole story they to tell part.

Per-48

PF:
PER-20.3
Opp PER-18.2
Net PER-2.1

SF:
PER-40.5
Opp PER-31.0
Net PER-9.5

Very good rebounder when at SF, better passer when at PF. Now, 82games also says he's best at center, but we'd obviously not play him there. Point is this doesn't suggest he's a PF "through and through", at all. It suggests he can excel and has at either position.
Basketball-reference and Synergy sports are my favorite sites for future reference.

While I have quite a few fundamental problems with PER and opponent PER, it's obvious that his numbers are inflated by a low Sample size of minutes at the SF position. He'd be in LeBron James territory if he had any sort of significant minutes at the position and upheld that number. Ersan is a PF with the ability to play SF for stretches at a time. But he cannot hang at SF on a full-time scale

Look people, if y'all are so in love with Tyreke, which I am, then you need to give him an SF who can hit spot up threes like Andres Nocioni could (.386 that year). G-Wallace isn't that guy. Nobody bring up his New Jersey stats.

Last edited:
L

LWP777

What is the point of having this discussion when we have owners who would never spend the money necessary to get a quality FA in here?

Basketball-reference and Synergy sports are my favorite sites for future reference.

While I have quite a few fundamental problems with PER and opponent PER, it's obvious that his numbers are inflated by a low Sample size of minutes at the SF position. He'd be in LeBron James territory if he had any sort of significant minutes at the position and upheld that number. Ersan is a PF with the ability to play SF for stretches at a time. But he cannot hang at SF on a full-time scale
Laughed because that was my first thought too. At SF he is better than LeBron James. Best player in league history I believe. And his opponents are LeBron James.

BTW, if you don't already, try using Hoop Data too. Very good site, except for the fact that the stats only go back several years. But very robust.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Laughed because that was my first thought too. At SF he is better than LeBron James. Best player in league history I believe. And his opponents are LeBron James.

BTW, if you don't already, try using Hoop Data too. Very good site, except for the fact that the stats only go back several years. But very robust.
I'm not a big fan of 82games, but I posted those responding to the point Ilyasova is a "through and through PF", which just isn't true. He has had success as a SF, and basketball reference doesn't have applicable stats separating his time at SF/PF. Neither does hoopdata.

The exact accuracy is beside the point although if you know where better stats splitting time between SF/PF it'd be much appreciated. The point was he could play SF for us as well as some backup PF, which Smart no doubt would do as a stretch 4.