[Game] Warriors @ Kings

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
You see, when Smart ices the starters and benches them long enough to procreate with their loved one, when they finally get subbed back they start battling for shots. Every time Reke/MT finally come back in, they start looking for shots more than moving the ball.

Reke however is unguardable tonight, making benching him even more questionable.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So if the Magic do try to appease Dwight and dump Van Gundy as has been rumored, do we try to get him?
You perhaps forget how he ended up in Orlando in the first place? Doubt we ever want to have dealings with him again. In fact have even wondered if it precludes the possibility of his brother.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Play the lineup that best balances offense and defense?
Sorry, Spike, I didn't get that. :) I suspect having guys that are all shorter than the guys they are defending has something to do with it with other teams but with GS, we are bigger.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Except it probably IS Smart. Doesn't know what to do with him and it exposes his lack of coaching ability.
Yeah, I'm about done with the Tyreke at the 3, IT starting PG experiment. I want Tyreke starting at PG and IT off the bench.

MT is starting to pee me off. The dude no doubt has fantastic scoring ability, but he's not near good enough to have free reign over when he shoots

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You perhaps forget how he ended up in Orlando in the first place? Doubt we ever want to have dealings with him again. In fact have even wondered if it precludes the possibility of his brother.
Honestly if I were the Kings organization, I would let bygones be bygones and go after him. I know he left us hanging before, but I honestly would have been the same, considering how utterly terrible we were at the time.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ditch the 3 guard lineup for starters. IT/MT getting abused every night, and it's not against world beaters either. Our backcourt defense is shameful.
I know this is probably ridiculously obvious but

JT
Cuz
CIsco
MT
Reke

A million times better than what we have now

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Ditch the 3 guard lineup for starters. IT/MT getting abused every night, and it's not against world beaters either. Our backcourt defense is shameful.
Giving up size everywhere has a lot of consequences. I see why Smart wants to run with that lineup, but that doesn't mean the other team has to as well. You can always slow it down and pick it apart (figuratively and literally) to get an easy shot. That doesnt even take into account the rebounding advantage that the other team instantly has.
It's not about individual effort by the players;it's about the coach putting the players in a position to succeed. This team is built to slug it out. We need to develop in that model for the long term.

Tyreke isn't above average as a defender? Even I know better than that.
On the nights he wants to be. He's certainly not consistent on that end of the floor, and he won't be anything more than an average-slighty above average defender until he defends at the level he's capable of doing on a nightly basis

Honestly if I were the Kings organization, I would let bygones be bygones and go after him. I know he left us hanging before, but I honestly would have been the same, considering how utterly terrible we were at the time.
I want a coach who the players can respect. Neither of SVG's teams have done that for him. If the rumors about Dwight wanting him out are true, that makes two star bigs he's alienated. And I love Cousins, but c'mon. We really wanna go there?

Just feel like SVG comes off in public as this blabbering fool, no matter how talented he may be as an offensive mind. And I abhor Jeff Van Gundy's coaching style, so as much as I dislike what Smart's doing with Tyreke and Isiah, I'd stay away from the Van Gundy clan, personally.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I presume the idea behind small ball is to outscore the opponent. At the end of last year, we had a team that could bash some teams into submission. Then through some mystery, that team disappears. GP as GM doesn't help as he was a shooter when he played. That helps when he finds diamonds in the rough like Peja and Thornton but it doesn't help on defense. People say losing this way is more fun than before but losing is losing and I never find losing fun.

OK, so English says we have to push the ball harder. Is that the solution, really? That's the mind set, I guess.