Kings talking Tyreke trade???

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Couldn't the reverse also hold true though? You could say that people want the trade because they're more concerned about one player than the team. Saying that Tyreke is the team's biggest problem at this point is kind of like saying that Whitney Houston's biggest problem was the fact that her records weren't selling.
Yes, it makes that much sense. This fascination with Tyreke gets old after the same things are said more than 10 times and I think we have long since passed that point.

The real oddity is that team defense may be one of our biggest problems and it is seldom mentioned. Tyreke is a very good defender unless asked to guard SFs. It's an inconvenient subject as it not only gets into the team defense subject but also the wisdom of the man coaching this team. Perhaps the time has come to trade Tyreke if only to help maintain his sanity. Why play for a coach who changes his mind every fortnight and fans who don't want him?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The bigger picture though is that some people do not want all-star players because they are more concerned more about one player rather than the whole team.
I know what you mean. We should ship Cuz to Chi for Deng. In fact, I'll volunteer to to drive Cuz to the airport. Let's get this nutcase out of town since we all know getting an All Star in return is more important than fit. You with me?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The bigger picture though is that some people do not want all-star players because they are more concerned more about one player rather than the whole team.
I think in this case we're actually looking for the source. I know I usually dismiss these types of rumors unless there's more than just a Marc Stein/ Jason Jones tweet...so far it was just a poster saying "we should trade..."

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This was around draft time. Certain people were against it because of contracts and others were against it because they didn't want Parker taking the ball out of Tyreke's hands. (AKA Tyreke fans and not Kings fans)
Indeed, that was probably the only reason. Not mind you that Tony Parker and Tyreke Evans have significantly overlapping skillsets such that you would be pairing two PGs who can't shoot and thrive going to the hoop together in one backcourt, thus necessitating cloning Peja as a young man in order to possibly have any spacing at all.

Bricklayer

Alternately people who have matured past the age of instant gratification want MORE All Star appearances in teh future.

Its really not much different than the people arguing for us to acquire every mediocre vet in the league a few years back so we could pursue the #8 seed and then comically saying they wanted to win. No they didn't. They were just too shortsighted to win. The people who REALLY wanted to win were the ones wiling to endure the long bleak years to stack young talent that would one day have a chance to be special. Thsoe same people today are willing now to actually LET that young talent mature to compelte the cycle. Meanwhile the same people without the stones to rebuild int he first place are now back lookign for shortcuts again. Doesn't work that way.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Indeed, that was probably the only reason. Not mind you that Tony Parker and Tyreke Evans have significantly overlapping skillsets such that you would be pairing two PGs who can't shoot and thrive going to the hoop together in one backcourt, thus necessitating cloning Peja as a young man in order to possibly have any spacing at all.
Plus we would have had to take back Jefferson's massive contract in return

Wait, do people think that Tyreke really only works out with bums and doesn't spend any time working out with quality guys? Did they forget the reports two off-seasons ago where he was working out with Derrick Rose? Or how he worked out this off-season with Rob Mcclanahan , aka. the guy who helped make Rose, Love, and Westbrook the players they are today? Is he putting in 100% in those workouts, or taking to heart everything that is told to him, or getting distracted in the off-season by other stuff? I don't know, but neither does anyone else. I agree that Evans has at best plateaued and at worst regressed, but can we at least stop pretending we are privy to his off-season workout regiment or making up stuff?

As for speculation, Tyreke doing all the right things in the off-season and having nothing to show for it would scare me more than him doing nothing and still being the same player.

Parker's shooting > Tyreke's by a mile and Parker can setup teammates and increase overall shooting. In the end, Tyreke must learn to shoot. In the end, it was "no don't take the ball from Rekey poo!" In a way, what you're stating is getting Parker forces Tyreke to learn how to grow his game and play shooting guard which is his future anyways.

Wait, do people think that Tyreke really only works out with bums and doesn't spend any time working out with quality guys? Did they forget the reports two off-seasons ago where he was working out with Derrick Rose? Or how he worked out this off-season with Rob Mcclanahan , aka. the guy who helped make Rose, Love, and Westbrook the players they are today? Is he putting in 100% in those workouts, or taking to heart everything that is told to him, or getting distracted in the off-season by other stuff? I don't know, but neither does anyone else. I agree that Evans has at best plateaued and at worst regressed, but can we at least stop pretending we are privy to his off-season workout regiment or making up stuff?

As for speculation, Tyreke doing all the right things in the off-season and having nothing to show for it would scare me more than him doing nothing and still being the same player.
There is no way a player does not improve even a tiny bit if he put the work in properly. Tyreke has not improved, therefore I question his resolve and commitment to the game. I don't know what it is that Tyreke does during the offseason, but it hasn't worked. I remember last season he came in overweight at training camp (was up to 228 pounds I believe) and was boxing. Why is a basketball player boxing? I am most certainly not a shooting coach, but give me a summer with Tyreke and there is no way he does not come out with at least better consistency. I wouldn't let him leave the gym. However, at the end of the day it is up to Tyreke. In a way, its not only his game that depends on his improvements, but the Kings as well.

Parker's shooting > Tyreke's by a mile and Parker can setup teammates and increase overall shooting. In the end, Tyreke must learn to shoot. In the end, it was "no don't take the ball from Rekey poo!" In a way, what you're stating is getting Parker forces Tyreke to learn how to grow his game and play shooting guard which is his future anyways.
I agree, he is definitely a shooting guard. He definitely needs to handle the ball more than he has been lately.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I stand corrected. Then why no improvement? Mental?
I have no doubt he works hard and puts in a fair amount of hours during the off season. Rob, the trainer in LA is well known and is highly respected. But somthing isn't translating. I'd like to see Reke work with one of the shot doctors out there. Mark Price has really helped Rondo. Hornacek has really helped AK who was shooting very well before taking off to Russia. So maybe something more specialized rather than the group workouts in LA, although I don't think they're all group workouts.

Also think he's confused. I think the constant switching of roles under Westy and Smart has genuinely confused him. Every time he comes to camp he has a new role than he left with, and now he's a SF of all things. Definitely think part of it is mental, and I think he's probably thinking too much out there.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I have no doubt he works hard and puts in a fair amount of hours during the off season. Rob, the trainer in LA is well known and is highly respected. But somthing isn't translating. I'd like to see Reke work with one of the shot doctors out there. Mark Price has really helped Rondo. Hornacek has really helped AK who was shooting very well before taking off to Russia. So maybe something more specialized rather than the group workouts in LA, although I don't think they're all group workouts.

Also think he's confused. I think the constant switching of roles under Westy and Smart has genuinely confused him. Every time he comes to camp he has a new role than he left with, and now he's a SF of all things.
Coming next year: Reke as PF under coach Bobby Jackson

Also think he's confused. I think the constant switching of roles under Westy and Smart has genuinely confused him. Every time he comes to camp he has a new role than he left with, and now he's a SF of all things. Definitely think part of it is mental, and I think he's probably thinking too much out there.
Doesn't matter how hard you work if you aren't working correctly. Working hard and doing it wrong just reinforces the bad habits.

Roles have nothing to do with proper form on a jumper.

He doesn't need to get stronger. In fact, he needs to lose some of that muscle and get quicker.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Doesn't matter how hard you work if you aren't working correctly. Working hard and doing it wrong just reinforces the bad habits.

Roles have nothing to do with proper form on a jumper.

He doesn't need to get stronger. In fact, he needs to lose some of that muscle and get quicker.
1) I agree practicing with bad habits doesn't help. Just reinforces those habits. I never said anything different. Just said he did put work in and was working out.
2) I do think confusion and not being clear on a role can effect your jumper somewhat, and finishing. A lot is on Reke. But not knowing where your shots will be, when you drive constantly thinking do I score or pass, constantly second guessing yourself on the court can definitely have an effect. Roles effect where you get the ball as well, and every player has spots on the court he prefers.
3)You can get stronger and lose weight at the same time. Reke came into camp in pretty good shape this year. It was the previous camp he was overweight.

There is no way a player does not improve even a tiny bit if he put the work in properly. Tyreke has not improved, therefore I question his resolve and commitment to the game. I don't know what it is that Tyreke does during the offseason, but it hasn't worked. I remember last season he came in overweight at training camp (was up to 228 pounds I believe) and was boxing. Why is a basketball player boxing? I am most certainly not a shooting coach, but give me a summer with Tyreke and there is no way he does not come out with at least better consistency. I wouldn't let him leave the gym. However, at the end of the day it is up to Tyreke. In a way, its not only his game that depends on his improvements, but the Kings as well.
Plenty of players put in good work with good coaches in the off-season only to have nothing come out of it. JaVale McGee is another guy who worked with Mcclanahan and he hasn't improved either. You can talk all you want about trainers or workout partners, improvement at the highest of professional levels comes down to what is going on in that player's head. Plenty of players can't take improvements they've made or worked on in the off-season and translate that to improved production on the floor. Look at Tim Tebow's throwing motion. Or Shaq's free throw shooting. Evans is young and I'm hoping something will click for him mentally. The same thing had to happen for Kevin Martin, and he was a more polished product than Evans coming into the league.

Boxing is a really good workout. Larry Johnson was a pretty good amateur boxer back in the day. Carmelo started boxing in the off-season some time ago. Even DeMarcus dabbled in it. It's a really good workout for power guys for explosiveness and stamina, exactly the thing you want Evans to be working on

Last edited:
Bottomline is he basically has one go to move and gets confused as hell when teams pack the paint. He rarely kicks it back out to an open shooter(granted our shooters kinda suck) when he is ambushed by big which leads people to say his BB IQ is low. He will take a terrible shot on the drive more times than not instead of moving the ball and trying to find open teammates granted his assist numbers have been decent and he does have the occasional outburst but what he and everyone on this team lacks outside of Cuz is consistency but you also have to acknowledge the fact that he has dominated the basketball nearly his entire career. Now that teams know he has no jumpshot they just backup into the paint and stay home on the wings when he has the ball. Tyreke hasnt gotten any better in 2 years.
We can keep using the young excuse but the thunder are young and in a small market too.

Our ownership is the biggest joke, its clear that they call all of the roster moves and like yes men to be working underneth them. I would be fine with an ownership calling shots IF THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING such as the situation with dallas. I agree with some of the posters above, they run this team with emotion not logic, they seem to enjoy being in the spotlight as nba owners more than putting together a winning team.

I think them running this teams on a meager budget and stripping it to bare bones the past few years is grounds for stern to demand they sell, it made me sick to see that jimmer was an obvious marketing ploy to sell some tickets/jerseys rather than a pick that would fit well with reke/cuz, we could and should have taken brandon knight. sorry Jimmer fans he will be a role player/spot up shooter who spreads the floor at best in this league IMO. He has yet to show even the slightest signs to prove otherwise. end rant.

with that said only trade tyreke for a star on a decent deal that fills our needs ie Granger, rondo other than that we need to give him just a little more time to develop a shot/improve court vision.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Yeah, and you can see the reasons, too:
1. No Eva Longoria
2. Cap space issues (obviously before the draft)
2a. The CBA - we didn't know what it would look like or how it would impact us. This was a big issue for many, myself included.
3. The draft:
Still didn't know that Beno was gone or that Jimmer would be drafted, or that Jimmer wouldn't yet be...Jimmer.

4. That being said, the rumor was "The Spurs have talked to teams in the lottery, including the Raptors and Kings..." That's all it said about the Kings. It didn't say that they were in talks - it was Adrian WoJo spewing.

Hindsight it all you want, but clearly there was more than just adding Parker. Quite a lot was unknown at the time.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

A confused role has nothing to do with not being able to hit an open outside jump shot.

NOBODY on our Kings team has developed under Westpaul, so I am not going to entirely blame Tyreke for not improving his shot. I am not ready to give up on Tyreke. If we trade him, we better get a star back.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
You've got to be plastic man to make that stretch. Now you're going to say that Tyreke Evans can't hit a pea in the ocean because he's been confused by his role? Give me a break.
The spacing and positioning on the floor depends on your role in the offense. A PG will have different spacings and positions than a SG, although there will be some similarities. There are NO similarities between the roles and responsibilities of a PG and a SF. None.
So now you have a kid who hasn't ever been a SF, much less a SF in the NBA, and you blame him for having to think about where he needs to be? If you're thinking, you're not reacting. It makes you that much slower.

Bricklayer

You've got to be plastic man to make that stretch. Now you're going to say that Tyreke Evans can't hit a pea in the ocean because he's been confused by his role? Give me a break.
Tyreke will never be a great shooter. But there is every chance he could be a considerably BETTER shooter if he knew exactly when and where the shots would normally come from, when he was supposed to shoot it as opposed to pull it down etc. You take a guy with a shaky shot anyway and then either have no rules, or change the rules, roles, position and matchups every two weeks and you re you just making a problem area that much worse.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So by that logic then Jimmer is also terrible at shooting the basketball.