Kings talking Tyreke trade???

http://aroyalpain.com/2012/03/02/have-the-sacramento-kings-put-tyreke-evans-on-the-trading-block/

I know his growth as far as bball IQ has kind of plateaued for a while but I still don't really want to trade him and give up on him. IMO it's not really fair to give up on the guy because of BBall IQ issues when his coaches have been Paul Westphail and Keith Stupid. I think long term he can be good with Demarcus and Jimmer and some of the other guys. It depends on who we'd get back but I don't really want to see him go.

Bad time to trade Reke unless you get an established star signed for multiple years. We are going to be on the losing end of any trade involving him.

Bad time to trade Reke unless you get an established star signed for multiple years. We are going to be on the losing end of any trade involving him.
What if we could get a guy like Danny Granger? i have no idea who our options even are. There are some guys I would consider trading him for, others I wouldn't. I still don't really want to see him go though.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

That, in and of itself, doesn't say "we're shopping Tyreke." It says if you want the most bang for your buck, it probably has to be Tyreke. Nobody else has value, and DMC is untouchable.

S

sactownfan

well the link was lame.. .but just noticed that jones tweet... wow... as much as i love Evans when he's got it going...

i still don't see him settling in at the SF spot for good... which brings us back to the problem that he's a probably better fit as a SG that can't shoot? but with all the small guards we already have, Thornton, Thomas, Jimmer he's just out of place on this team. the only other option is bringing Thornton off the bench. But then again that weakens our starting line up and we don't have a true SF that can start.

Im in favor of a Rondo swap, or a Evans for an Equal level talent SF... i think both these moves help to eliminate the confusion of what position is Evans gonna play today? from this teams thinking.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
if we can get a first round pick + a decent player now... well worth it
Only if that first round pick is a high pick. Who has that kind of value and is willing to give up on their players? There aren't any I can think of. Established (veteran) teams would only want to jettison age and lower picks.

Again, I "hear" lots of things too. I wouldn't put stock into it.

For heavens sake, keep Evans. He is a great player and a winner. Just don't make him first choice at pg. When we have something good, keep it. Always, it seems, when the breeze dies down someone starts blowing.

That, in and of itself, doesn't say "we're shopping Tyreke." It says if you want the most bang for your buck, it probably has to be Tyreke. Nobody else has value, and DMC is untouchable.
I never said shopping, I said talking trade. Being open to trade someone for a certain type of player is talking trade.

What if we could get a guy like Danny Granger? i have no idea who our options even are. There are some guys I would consider trading him for, others I wouldn't. I still don't really want to see him go though.
what about a team like the bobcats... they can get a nba ready star to hep there team and build around

Well the Kings have to decide whether pick up his extension option this summer, I think. Personally, I'd not be very happy to see him go already. He's still only 22 and still has undeniable talent and physicality. I just think it's dumb to play him at SF a position he's never played in his life and where his size is not much of an advantage anymore.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I would rather make a huge push to get Sloan and see if he can figure out how to use Tyreke. Sloan .. is .. available. If we don't get a better coach, then trade Tyreke but get something in return. Somebody will figure out how to use him and I want to make sure that whatever we get in exchange makes up for his loss. Giving up on him at age 22 seems impatient. He has become the whipping boy for this forum and may be Smart's whipping boy also. I think Smart is lucky Tyreke doesn't have the emotional imbalance of Cousins. Let's trade Tyreke before Smart ruins him. Already Tyreke has had 2 years of Westphal and now has been pushd to the side to become an undersized and defensively incompetent 3. The craziness of this situation is that he has been mishandled by two coaches who used to be guards and should know better.

Before we trade Tyreke, hire Sloan and see what happens. At the worst, Tyreke would prove to have little use on a team (other than the 20 pts per game and good rebounding) and the rest of the team would benefit. I also think GP would be more inclined to listen to Sloan than the last endless line of inadequate coaches we have had.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well the Kings have to decide whether pick up his extension option this summer, I think. Personally, I'd not be very happy to see him go already. He's still only 22 and still has undeniable talent and physicality. I just think it's dumb to play him at SF a position he's never played in his life and where his size is not much of an advantage anymore.
His size is now a disadvantage.

Agreed. The reality is there probably isn't another team that would try to play him at sf.

Too early to trade Reke. Especially since I can't see a good trading partner out there. Reke should be traded only if we can land a real star on a long term contract. In that case, we could think about it.

I would rather make a huge push to get Sloan and see if he can figure out how to use Tyreke. Sloan .. is .. available. If we don't get a better coach, then trade Tyreke but get something in return. Somebody will figure out how to use him and I want to make sure that whatever we get in exchange makes up for his loss. Giving up on him at age 22 seems impatient. He has become the whipping boy for this forum and may be Smart's whipping boy also. I think Smart is lucky Tyreke doesn't have the emotional imbalance of Cousins. Let's trade Tyreke before Smart ruins him. Already Tyreke has had 2 years of Westphal and now has been pushd to the side to become an undersized and defensively incompetent 3. The craziness of this situation is that he has been mishandled by two coaches who used to be guards and should know better.

Before we trade Tyreke, hire Sloan and see what happens. At the worst, Tyreke would prove to have little use on a team (other than the 20 pts per game and good rebounding) and the rest of the team would benefit. I also think GP would be more inclined to listen to Sloan than the last endless line of inadequate coaches we have had.
But the Maloofs just said Smart will be back next season, and they want to keep him forever......

BARF

there two draft picks + somone else im not sure who they have atm
We can't just keep rebuilding through draft picks. Eventually we are going to have to go with what we have or build through veteran/talent acquisition. For whatever reason people have become overly dependent on drafting our talent. (Admittedly, this has proven to be one of Petrie's only skills.)

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We can't just keep rebuilding through draft picks. Eventually we are going to have to go with what we have or build through veteran/talent acquisition. For whatever reason people have become overly dependent on drafting our talent. (Admittedly, this has proven to be one of Petrie's only skills.)
No FA will come here. We have little option as to how to improve the team. Heck, even Daly when given the option got out of town as fast as possible and he played here. Imagine how that looks to any other potential FA signing. The Kings do not deal from a position of strength.

If the Bobcats have the ping pong balls bounce their way and end up with the #1 pick, I might dangle Tyreke in front of their nose and darn near any other player they were interested in not named Cousins.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Lucky for us, this has historically been Maloof-vernacular for "we are about to fire our coach."
Yeah, I doubt it would be a good idea to give a coach who isn't doing poorly (subject to personal feelings, of course) a vote of "no confidence." Things would go downhill rather quickly. I do wonder if the Sloan rumors prompted Smart to go into "win now" mode as opposed to continuing to develop Evans at the PG. Something to think about, I suppose, but I can't remember when the Sloan rumors sprouted.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
No FA will come here. We have little option as to how to improve the team. Heck, even Daly when given the option got out of town as fast as possible and he played here. Imagine how that looks to any other potential FA signing. The Kings do not deal from a position of strength.
I wonder how much of that had to do with Westphal? The team atmosphere was pretty toxic to start the year, in comparison to how it is now.

but look at this years prospects if we got a number one pick with the bobs and we got a 4-10 pick with our team we could have a really really good team and then build a team

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I doubt it would be a good idea to give a coach who isn't doing poorly (subject to personal feelings, of course) a vote of "no confidence." Things would go downhill rather quickly. I do wonder if the Sloan rumors prompted Smart to go into "win now" mode as opposed to continuing to develop Evans at the PG. Something to think about, I suppose, but I can't remember when the Sloan rumors sprouted.
The Sloan "rumors" were about January and were based on Sloan saying he got his energy back and would listen to offers from other teams. He said he would need the right situation. There is data somewhere where his wife said she wouldn't mind living in Sacramento. I think it is beyond the rumor stage but I suspect he would want to get paid and that would be the sticking point.

Do some Google searching. I did it once and it took about 30 seconds to find an article that said just about everything I just said.

Wouldnt like it. I think Reke's being used incorrectly. All in all, he's still one of the best slashers/finishers in the game right now. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The Sloan "rumors" were about January and were based on Sloan saying he got his energy back and would listen to offers from other teams. He said he would need the right situation. There is data somewhere where his wife said she wouldn't mind living in Sacramento. I think it is beyond the rumor stage but I suspect he would want to get paid and that would be the sticking point.

Do some Google searching. I did it once and it took about 30 seconds to find an article that said just about everything I just said.
Why search when there are those who will do it for you? ;)

Seriously though, I didn't really worry too much about the dates. It seemed like too much of a conspiracy theory to make actual sense...

...or did it?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
For heavens sake, keep Evans. He is a great player and a winner. Just don't make him first choice at pg. When we have something good, keep it. Always, it seems, when the breeze dies down someone starts blowing.
Peja or Webber. Who's better ;)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Seriously though unless we're getting a team's next five lottery picks, a bonafide gamechanger (I'm talking a resigned Deron Williams or someone of that tier), or jettisoning our bad bench for the rest of a good team, I don't see this happening.