5-4 to keep arena off ballot at City Council tonight

This city council will find a way to screw this up. I can't believe there are CC members who are willing to see the Kings leave just so they can sock it to KJ. This is unbelievable.

They also voted on putting the Arena on the ballot. It was reported on the news as a way for Council members who don't like KJ to kill the arena deal.

They also voted on putting the Arena on the ballot. It was reported on the news as a way for Council members who don't like KJ to kill the arena deal.
Oh, I hadn't heard that. It didn't pass though, so I don't see what the worry is. looks like 4 people are with KJ and 3 aren't, that's all you need.

Last edited:
IMO there is plenty to worry about. There is a war going on behind the scenes between Sheedy and KJ. Their little spat could torpedo this whole thing if it is allowed to get out of control.
It seemed like Cohn and Rob Fong were pretty snarky towards Sheedy tonight. And Pannell was just acting weird, saying something about can I just vote later.

IMO there is plenty to worry about. There is a war going on behind the scenes between Sheedy and KJ. Their little spat could torpedo this whole thing if it is allowed to get out of control.
This was Sheedy's last shot at a game winner, and she rimmed out. The reason she wanted this was because she knew it was her best bet at killing the arena deal. Now that she's done throwing monkey wrenches, we can get down to the business at hand.

It seemed like Cohn and Rob Fong were pretty snarky towards Sheedy tonight. And Pannell was just acting weird, saying something about can I just vote later.
Yeah, Pannell made no sense...as usual...but she WAS in favor of parking revenue for ESC before tonight. KJ lost her with his strong mayor stuff
He needs to mend that fence and get her back.

Yeah, Pannell made no sense...as usual...but she WAS in favor of parking revenue for ESC before tonight. KJ lost her with his strong mayor stuff
He needs to mend that fence and get her back.
I don't see how you can just assume that because she voted no on strong mayor that she's now going to vote no on parking. Two entirely separate issues.

Sorry, math fail on my part. Point is though, there's five yes votes and that's all we need.
But...KJ pissed some council members off with his strong mayor stuff, and lost McCarty and Pannell. Its NOT a done deal, will be very close next week!

Edit: KJ has Cohn, R Fong, Ashby and Shinerer on his side as of now...but you never know where Cohn's crazy mind.might wander to next week. That's why KJ needs to at LEAST do damage control with Pannell and get her vote back.

Last edited:
But...KJ pissed some council members off with his strong mayor stuff, and lost McCarty and Pannell. Its NOT a done deal, will be very close next week!
I don't know what you're basing lost McCarty and Pannell on. Seems like just speculation. Just because they didn't like the strong mayor idea doesn't mean they're going to suddenly switch sides on the parking deal.

I don't know what you're basing lost McCarty and Pannell on. Seems like just speculation. Just because they didn't like the strong mayor idea doesn't mean they're going to suddenly switch sides on the parking deal.
They voted WITH Sheedy tonight on putting parking on the ballot that would have killed the ESC.

Edit: KJ has Cohn, R Fong, Ashby and Shinerer on his side as of now...but you never know where Cohn's crazy mind.might wander to next week. That's why KJ needs to at LEAST do damage control with Pannell and get her vote back.

This is what it's about Rookieoftheday. They're playing elementary games. This guy is butt hurt so he might move to Sheedys side and this ladys gonna support KJ to get back at Sheedy and this guys gonna vote with sheedy cause the mayor didn't grease his hand. It's politics man. It's why this state and city are so screwed up. It's not about doing what's right. It's about socking it to your opponent. It's all a friggin game.

They voted WITH Sheedy tonight on putting parking on the ballot that would have killed the ESC.
I'm aware. I just don't see how that automatically means they're a no vote on leasing the parking as well. Some of them could have had political reasons for wanting to appear in support of a public vote, but that wouldn't necessarily mean they were against the idea of leasing parking outright.

Without the Kings I would lose the source of all the joy in my life. The only thing that got me through my frictional younger years was the prospect of another Kings game coming on. Without that i don't know what I would do.

Without the Kings I would lose the source of all the joy in my life. The only thing that got me through my frictional younger years was the prospect of another Kings game coming on. Without that i don't know what I would do.
I'd lose the source of a ton of frustration, too. Sorry, had to be said. I'd rather a team to be frustrated with than no team, though.

Last edited:
What the hell happened guys? I didn't even know there was a meeting or anything tonight, I was just watching the game and then some random tv stuff. I hop on twitter like 15 minutes ago and see that everything almost fell apart because Pannell and McCarty decided to side with Sheedy and Fong, who are idiots(specifically Sheedy). Seriously, KJ needs to get those 2 back on his side so we can move forward with this.

Ugh, and even I was starting to like my odds on this one.

I think this still passes next week, but here is the big problem now.

The Bee had a great story this weekend about cities putting their parking up for bid. LA put it up, but they put enough restrictions on rates and other factors that nobody touched it.

Cohn has really been huge on - nobody is going to mess with my voters ability to street park for cheap or little, not a huge fan of rates going up fast, and wants them to keep the same people on the job. Because he's the swing vote, he gets emboldened and demands a lot of the changes he wants. KJ can't get a 5th to swing over / doesn't know if he has it and gives Cohn 75% of what he wants.

On 2-14-11, city vote for RFP. KJ nails down AIG $. NBA handles money that Maloofs should chip in (part might be a new program and the rest is loan to either the Maloofs or next owner) We are all stoked. Team is staying.

Later, Cohn's terms lead to no bids / not enough money in bids and Kings shuffle of with everybody asking "What just happened?"

Ugh, and even I was starting to like my odds on this one.

I think this still passes next week, but here is the big problem now.

The Bee had a great story this weekend about cities putting their parking up for bid. LA put it up, but they put enough restrictions on rates and other factors that nobody touched it.

Cohn has really been huge on - nobody is going to mess with my voters ability to street park for cheap or little, not a huge fan of rates going up fast, and wants them to keep the same people on the job. Because he's the swing vote, he gets emboldened and demands a lot of the changes he wants. KJ can't get a 5th to swing over / doesn't know if he has it and gives Cohn 75% of what he wants.

On 2-14-11, city vote for RFP. KJ nails down AIG $. NBA handles money that Maloofs should chip in (part might be a new program and the rest is loan to either the Maloofs or next owner) We are all stoked. Team is staying.

Later, Cohn's terms lead to no bids / not enough money in bids and Kings shuffle of with everybody asking "What just happened?"
Is it Cohn pushing for a 30 year parking contract instead of a 50 year contract? And wouldn't that 30 year contract mean a lot less money going toward the arena?

Is it Cohn pushing for a 30 year parking contract instead of a 50 year contract? And wouldn't that 30 year contract mean a lot less money going toward the arena?
It would mean less money up front, yes. I have truly become enlightened watching this city council thing from a distance. I was debating flying to SAC from the East Coast just to attend the City Council meeting on the 14th, but now think I will just send a letter to Sheedy/Pannell. You'd really, really think that they could see the forest through the trees on this.

Yes, Cohn appears to want 30 more than 50.

Save your time on Sheedy and work on Pannel and Cohn.

I did not see the meeting, but it was said that Pannel said something about she might vote for this later. Actually, that makes a lot of sense. If you want to vote for this but you are worried that some of the people in your district are going to give you are hard time about it. Then you vote to both kill this will a June advisory vote and to green light it a week later. When it comes time to vote, this allows Pannel to say, "Look, I think you should have had the right to vote, and I voted that way and tried to swing votes that way, but it didn't pass. After talking to as many people as I could, I voted yes because that's what a majority wanted. In addition, I think it's a good project and here is why."

If most people are for this, but there will be an angry group, it makes a lot of sense to vote no and then vote yes next week.

The city website is nicely set up. The link right to each individual speaker. So you can see exactly what Bonnie Pannell said without having to sift through about 4 hours of meeting on video. Just go to the last item on the agenda and they have links to a starting point of the video where that person started speaking.

http://sacramento.granicus.com/GeneratedAgendaViewer.php?view_id=22&clip_id=2899

I thought it was sort of odd that she wanted to delay that vote because she wanted to see all the agreed terms of the deal negotiations. Not just the parking, the whole thing!