Cousins SENT HOME????

FML. Whatever happened or was said in practice is terrible enough as it is. But the the front office putting out that release? I can't grasp how they thought that'd be a good idea. I'm strangely confused and scared.
Well they had to put out something to account for why he's not playing.

If i remember rightly the last time cousins sat out a game for something like this we won.

Wonder how the players play tonight? I don't see a Detroit style revolt somehow.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
C-Webb would be great, but he's not even around in Sac anymore is he? Where does he do all his analysis and such for NBATV?

actually I was pretty sure last year he approached the Maloofs about being involved somehow but was rebuffed? Not sure.

He could obviously be a perfect "take a chill pill" mentor for Cousins, but he has a life outside fo Sacto, and its hard to see it being more than a fly in for a few days every couple of months/talk on the phone thing.

The point is that he shifts attention over to his assistant, seemingly putting blame on him.
Seriously? I think you guys are stretching it way too far. He's just adding something like you would in any conversation, how in the world does that equate to shifting the blame? Clearly you guys have some deeper understanding of this than a normal person would.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Cousins clashed with Coach Cal too. The difference was that the team was winning so many games that the stuff Cousins said had no merit. You can scream all you want but if the team is winning games you just look like an idiot.

The team is playing bad so while Cousins may be right he certainly isn't handling the situation the way you are supposed to handle it.
Your right, he had clashes with Calapari, but other than what you saw during a game, nothing else went public. And to this day, both Calapari and Cousins have a very good relationship. The very day Calapari recruited Cousins, he warned him that he was crazy (meaning Calapari) and that he was very demanding, so expect to be yelled at. Cousins respects Calapari, but I doubt he has much respect for Westphal.

If Cousins did indeed ask for a trade, then he handled it badly. But I'd like to point out that a lot of players in the NBA have asked to be traded from time to time, and they wern't benched because of it. I'm going to wait till all the details are out before making a judgement. But ask yourself, why did this have to become public? Westphal is a little man. By the way, this exact thing happened in Seattle with Gary Payton. I also seem to remember another center for the Kings named Hawes that had a similar clash with Westphal. I think Westphal is intimidated by players that question what he's doing.

Calapari said once that Cousins was one of the smartest players he ever coached. He said that whenever they practiced something new, Cousins would always ask why they were doing it that way. He said once he explained why, then Cousins was fine with it. You can be the judge as to whether Cousins is right or wrong for questioning, but I'll say it again, Cousins isn't the problem here. Everytime something went wrong last season with Cousins, it was made public by Westphal. As much as you can, you keep this stuff in house. Otherwise you create a firestorm. Westphal did this same stuff in Seattle. Throwing players under the bus for being overweight or out of shape. His problem there was, he was up against Gary Payton who had more juice than Westphal did. Frankly I'm sick of this guy.

Bricklayer

If i remember rightly the last time cousins sat out a game for something like this we won.

Wonder how the players play tonight? I don't see a Detroit style revolt somehow.
Yeah, I'm interested too. But swapping out Cousings and in Hickson is hardly going to help things. And I'm willing to bet the players are much more sympathetic to Cousins than to Westphal on this one. You hope they come out and play inspired...unless one of them figures out that if they do it supports Westphal and says screw it.

I don't give a rat's *** how bad a coach is, a second year player should not be pulling crap like this. I can't even imagine a second year LeBron pulling something like this.
Totally disagreed with you...

You're ok siding with a bad coach but I'm not...and it seems Cousins doesn't either (shouldn't matter if you're a rookie 2nd year or 3rd). I have no problem with Cousins action. Sending Cousins home is the dumbest action I've seen in a long time.

L

Lafayette

I'd trade Tyreke before Cousins but then again.... Cousins whines alot, takes dumb jumpers and just plays like a bonehead at times... but then there's Tyreke that just forces dumb layups and stalls the games... no trade, bench them.... have JT and Jimmer step into the starting lineup for now, that's how you try it first and see what happens while you work on a trade scenario. You know teams are calling Petrie today as soon as they heard the news.

Your right, he had clashes with Calapari, but other than what you saw during a game, nothing else went public. And to this day, both Calapari and Cousins have a very good relationship. The very day Calapari recruited Cousins, he warned him that he was crazy (meaning Calapari) and that he was very demanding, so expect to be yelled at. Cousins respects Calapari, but I doubt he has much respect for Westphal.

If Cousins did indeed ask for a trade, then he handled it badly. But I'd like to point out that a lot of players in the NBA have asked to be traded from time to time, and they wern't benched because of it. I'm going to wait till all the details are out before making a judgement. But ask yourself, why did this have to become public? Westphal is a little man. By the way, this exact thing happened in Seattle with Gary Payton. I also seem to remember another center for the Kings named Hawes that had a similar clash with Westphal. I think Westphal is intimidated by players that question what he's doing.

Calapari said once that Cousins was one of the smartest players he ever coached. He said that whenever they practiced something new, Cousins would always ask why they were doing it that way. He said once he explained why, then Cousins was fine with it. You can be the judge as to whether Cousins is right or wrong for questioning, but I'll say it again, Cousins isn't the problem here. Everytime something went wrong last season with Cousins, it was made public by Westphal. As much as you can, you keep this stuff in house. Otherwise you create a firestorm. Westphal did this same stuff in Seattle. Throwing players under the bus for being overweight or out of shape. His problem there was, he was up against Gary Payton who had more juice than Westphal did. Frankly I'm sick of this guy.
Right on. I know a lot of successful athletes that, when they were told to do something, asked why/what the purpose was, etc, then were explained why something was done, and they were fine with it. And a great deal of them had success on the national and international level.

Westphal does not appear, nor ever has, to be a coach who can accept his methods, however losing they may be, being questioned.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I said it earlier but I say it again...

I honestly don't think they care about his trade value because they ARE NOT trading him. No way. We have control over him for a few more season and then we can match any offer he gets from another team.

They are clearly trying to teach him a lesson, and it won't work .. but that is the intention. Make him look bad so he'll realize he needs to stop it with all this garbage. We tried it before by going public when he got thrown of of practice and it actually worked for a short period of time. This is a bit more serious though, and I don't see it working.

I will be absolutely shocked if Cousins is traded, which makes me think its highly likely Westphal gets canned. We conveniently put his name on the press release too so when he does get fired we can use him as the scapegoat for all of this. He was the reason we picked Jimmer, He is the reason we wanted Salmons, He is the reason we got Hayes .. blame everything on him and Geoff and the Maloofs look fine.
I agree, that unless someone has an outstanding offer on the table, Cousins is going nowhere. The last thing this franchise needs is to trade Cousins and have him come back on another team as an all star and hand us our heads. As for as teaching him a lesson by going public. That goes entirely against parenting 101. When you publicly embarrass a player, thats equates to stabbing him in the back. You'll lose his respect, and probably build a rift between yourself and the player. You'll also start to lose the respect of the rest of the team. You can't on one hand use the words team and family, and then throw one of your family under the bus.

Amazing that we never had anything like this under Adelman. I've never seen a great coach that was insecure. I don't think there's any doubt that Westphal is insecure.

Bricklayer

I'd trade Tyreke before Cousins but then again.... Cousins whines alot, takes dumb jumpers and just plays like a bonehead at times... but then there's Tyreke that just forces dumb layups and stalls the games... no trade, bench them.... have JT and Jimmer step into the starting lineup for now, that's how you try it first and see what happens while you work on a trade scenario. You know teams are calling Petrie today as soon as they heard the news.
Uh, no. You don't do any of the above unless you want to destroy the franchise.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
The fact that management went along with this reinforces that it is time for Petrie to go. If I was more cynical then I might say that Petrie is setting up Westphal to fail but it doesn't seem like Petrie rolls that way. If it is spun as Westphal vs. Cousins where Keith Smart is left out of it they might be able to fire Westphal, promote Keith Smart, and Cousins will be OK. At the same time the front office tries to get across the message that Cousins will be punished for insubordination.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A second year player who hasn't accomplished **** on an individual level, or on a team level, shouldn't be demanding anything.
Cousins agent said that Cousins didn't ask to be traded. J. Jones also reported that Cousins said that he didn't ask to be traded. So maybe we ought to wait and see all the facts before passing judgement.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Geoff Petrie was always the wait and see type of guy to me, I can understand his backing of Westphal, but the statement release, no.

Wow, has our front office lost it? They're letting this drivel leak onto the internet? I agree with Brick, there is only one move here. Westphal has to go, period. I'm not going to blindly stick up for Westphal and his failed system. If I'm to pick between DMC and Westphal, I pick DMC. It's not about whether or not he's bigger then the organization it's about someone finally sticking up for what's right in this organization. It's about the 40+page thread here from the past two seasons. The players seem to be getting tired of it and it's time to pull the trigger.

Maloofs want to show us they are committed to winning, start looking and lure a real coach and prove it.

So the owners are content with keeping a clearly bad coach in Westfail, over the future of their organization in Cousins, instead of just opening up their wallets and hiring a real coach...?

Cousins agent said that Cousins didn't ask to be traded. J. Jones also reported that Cousins said that he didn't ask to be traded. So maybe we ought to wait and see all the facts before passing judgement.
I agree with what you said, but this has turned into a huge problem because it was in writing on the Kings website, if it was just a verbal rumor, it would be a different scenario

So the owners are content with keeping a clearly bad coach in Westfail, over the future of their organization in Cousins, instead of just opening up their wallets and hiring a real coach...?
The Maloofs may be crooked but i honestly don't think they're stupid enough to lose their best player prospects to appease a losing coach.

Well there's our solution then. Calapari for coach!

Last edited:
In loud exchange with Paul Westphal on Saturday after NY loss, some Kings heard DeMarcus Cousins yelling, "Trade me now," sources tell Y!

WOJ - Yahoo on twitter

The Maloofs may be crooked but i honestly don't think they're stupid enough to lose their best player prospects to appease a losing coach.
Lol, idk. I have my doubts. They're obviously crooked enough to be two faced about getting out of here to Anaheim and then rooting right along with the fans at the Laker game like they've been here all along and being surprised when they don't fill the arena with fans or have support for the new arena. They've been saving money getting cheap coaches ever since Adelman.