A decision has been made

One huge thing here is that the league determines when the vote takes place. If they stay... it would SHOCKING to me that they would hold the vote BEFORE the Taylor/ICON study was completed.

I have a feeling now that they go ahead and file... but say so with the caveat that they would like to see what the Taylor group brings in... then wait till that comes back... maybe negotiate a bit on that, see if a deal can be put together for financing, then agree on it. and then rescind.

One huge thing here is that the league determines when the vote takes place. If they stay... it would SHOCKING to me that they would hold the vote BEFORE the Taylor/ICON study was completed.

I have a feeling now that they go ahead and file... but say so with the caveat that they would like to see what the Taylor group brings in... then wait till that comes back... maybe negotiate a bit on that, see if a deal can be put together for financing, then agree on it. and then rescind.
They may want to do that but the word was that the league was going to give Sacramento until March. I don't think they're going to let the Magoofs move date back 8 months just so they can play in Anaheim next year.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Really? WOW. It's crazy how differently two people can see the same thing. I didn't think they were filing but after watching the video, I feel almost certain they are.

I don't want to spend the time breaking down the video bit by bit but when he says " there", it felt like he was kind of letting them (Anaheim) down softly. Also a tinge of regret when he talks about them, he also sighs right after talking about the city council of Anaheim. His mood immediately changes as he begins to talk about the fans in Sac and their existing sponsers and even lets out a little laugh at the end. I'm not an expert at reading people but my guess is that wasn't a man ready to break hearts in Sacramento tomorrow.

Wow, although it's the worst possible conclusion that they could come up with, I have no doubt that they will file for relocation based on what George said.

At the end of the segment, he talks about how great the Sacramento fans are and mentions something about the sponsors but then immediately says "we think we got it figured out THOUGH". Unless he's stupider than we think and really has no handle of the English language, he wouldn't use the word "though" after praising Sacramento if he wasn't going to come to a negative conclusion about Sacramento's fate.

If he were coming to a positive conclusion about Sacramento, he wouldn't say "we think we got it figured out THOUGH" but rather "fans are great......sponsors are up...SO we think we have it figured out"

Even worse, they are pulling a Lebron of sorts. Allowing a Sacramento reporter to break the news that a decision has been made just drags us through this garbage all the more.

Last edited:
I don't want to spend the time breaking down the video bit by bit but when he says " there", it felt like he was kind of letting them (Anaheim) down softly. Also a tinge of regret when he talks about them, he also sighs right after talking about the city council of Anaheim. His mood immediately changes as he begins to talk about the fans in Sac and their existing sponsers and even lets out a little laugh at the end. I'm not an expert at reading people but my guess is that wasn't a man ready to break hearts in Sacramento tomorrow.
I agree. My initial reaction was bad but after digesting I agree with you. Although, initial gut reaction is usually telling for me.

If you were an owner and you have Stern recommending a no vote, and the Magoofs groveling for you to vote yes, who you gonna listen to?
I don't know man.. There are politics involved and I'm not a political person. Not being political I would say "hell no", but with the politics involved there are a lot of back room deals, and hand shaking going on over a glass of brandy and a cigar.

I really think the Maloofs have convined enough owners that their finances will improve immediately in Anaheim and they could go back to profiting in the short team (with the loans, TV deal ect ect) and that what Sacramento had thrown together was not enough to really make the team viable in any way for both the fans to watch and being competitive. They convinced enough owners that in Anaheim they would be able to spend more money.

I don't want to say that but that's how, right now, I see this going down. I think there will be a fight put up by Sac, and that Stern will ultimitely tell us fans in Sac that once we get an arena build then they will "explore" bringing another team to Sacramento. I didn't like George's body language, and speech pattern. He was stumbling a lot when trying to talk about Sacramento, and was looking up, but when talking about Anaheim he was making eye contact, and not stumbling over himself.

I think that on the outside there will be people in the NBA fighting this, but once approved they will quiet down, and try to get things moving again. I also think Samueli is going to cover all costs for the Maloofs including relocation fees.

The thing that makes me think file is the first thing he said. When he says "We think we got it figured out" he says it sort of sheepishly. Can't believe we're analyzing it to this degree, lol.

But that could backfire as well. ICON/Taylor could throw up their hands and make less of an effort to get this done due to all the money that needs to be spent on studies and what not. I hope that's not what the Maloofs have in mind as far as sabotaging arena efforts are concerned.

I wonder if this is part of their plan to sue the NBA for not allowing them to move? You don't have a complaint unless you are rejected. I think the whole idea of going against the NBA's recommendation is bad for just about everyone. If they file for relocation, it's bad news. It means:

* They are putting it on NBA to make the decision.
* That there is likely no scenario where the Maloofs will own the Kings in Sacramento.
* They still think there is a chance they will be allowed to move.

None of those sound very good for us. It basically means the only way Sacramento has a team next season is if the NBA rejects their move and forces them to sell the team. Is Stern ready to go to there?

I don't know man.. There are politics involved and I'm not a political person. Not being political I would say "hell no", but with the politics involved there are a lot of back room deals, and hand shaking going on over a glass of brandy and a cigar.

I really think the Maloofs have convined enough owners that their finances will improve immediately in Anaheim and they could go back to profiting in the short team (with the loans, TV deal ect ect) and that what Sacramento had thrown together was not enough to really make the team viable in any way for both the fans to watch and being competitive. They convinced enough owners that in Anaheim they would be able to spend more money.

I don't want to say that but that's how, right now, I see this going down. I think there will be a fight put up by Sac, and that Stern will ultimitely tell us fans in Sac that once we get an arena build then they will "explore" bringing another team to Sacramento. I didn't like George's body language, and speech pattern. He was stumbling a lot when trying to talk about Sacramento, and was looking up, but when talking about Anaheim he was making eye contact, and not stumbling over himself.

I think that on the outside there will be people in the NBA fighting this, but once approved they will quiet down, and try to get things moving again. I also think Samueli is going to cover all costs for the Maloofs including relocation fees.
How high would Samulei go though? Let's say they manage to get approval but it comes with a 150-200 million dollar relocation fee, you think he's willing to go that far? He'd end up loaning the Magoofs more than the team is even worth.

Also, keep in mind that Buss would be doing his own politicking and surely has more clout and resources than the Magoofs.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is part of their plan to sue the NBA for not allowing them to move? You don't have a complaint unless you are rejected. I think the whole idea of going against the NBA's recommendation is bad for just about everyone. If they file for relocation, it's bad news. It means:

* They are putting it on NBA to make the decision.
* That there is likely no scenario where the Maloofs will own the Kings in Sacramento.
* They still think there is a chance they will be allowed to move.

None of those sound very good for us. It basically means the only way Sacramento has a team next season is if the NBA rejects their move and forces them to sell the team. Is Stern ready to go to there?
Stern strikes me as the type of person who will go to just about any length to not be shown up. If the Maloofs file after he's recommended they stay in Sacramento one more year, I really think he will go there.

Last edited:
I think Maloofs have been backed into the corner here. NBA has advised them to stay in Sacramento but they are so financially strung that they need a major cash injection and they need it NOW!

They know that if they stay in Sacramento, they will go bust and they don't want to sell the team so they are going to trust their gambling instinct and file anyway. Based on the advise of relocation committee, I think the BOG will vote against the move or set a ridiculously high relocation fee that Maloofs won't be able to pay it. This way they are forced to stay in Sacramento at least for a year.

This is where they are backed to the corner a lot more than they are now. NBA is aware that "the boys have no money" and are concerned where they are going with this. When the relocation request gets rejected, the Maloofs won't be able to return to Sacramento. They WILL be forced to sell.

They way they see it, they have nothing to lose by filing. On the off chance that their request gets approved, they live to fight another day. If it gets rejected, they are back to where they are now, being forced to sell because they can't afford to run the team anymore.

I would be very surprised if they can get enough votes to move to Anaheim. VERY VERY surprised. Make no mistake, Maloofs are broke and where never rich enough by NBA standards and as far as Stern and other owners see it, they would much rather have someone who treats the team as a hobby rather than business and can afford to throw the money around. If KJ failed to "get Burkle", it might have been a different story. NBA would love to have a team owned by Burkle who is willing to keep the team in Sacramento and work on a new arena.

I am cautiously optimistic that Kings will be in Sacramento next season, regardless of whether or not the Maloofs file. From their perspective they have nothing to lose by filing. They either get to Anaheim to fight another day and prolong the slow death, or they are forced to sell because they can't run the team any more. If the file, the burn their bridges in Sacramento and there is no way they can come back but since NBA is not really keen to have them as owners with their financial crisis, they won't be too forthcoming with a helping hand by approving the request to leave.

Give me a break. Your hatred is well known and goes far beyond anything they deserve. Did they rape your sister? This is basketball and as important as the Kings are to me, there are a lot of things far more important. I will save my anger for those things that are far more important. My god, man, get some perspective.

There really wasn't much hatred in his statement. The Maloofs are a) Not good businessmen, b) Have proven that they are only loyal to themselves, not Sacramento.

It's more of a slap in the face to those that supported the Kings for so many years and believed their talk about loving the fans and how Sacramento was such a fantastic place to be. And when things don't go the Maloof way, they jump ship and look for a way to make a profit.

The only reason they want to keep the Kings is because they're family sold the Trailblazers before they became majorly profitable, and now they don't want to miss out on a potential cash cow in the future.

They should tell us, straight up, what they're planning, instead of breaking it to a reporter that they plan to announce it tomorrow. It's angered alot of fans that they're been so two-faced and wishy-washy about the whole deal.

L

LWP777

I think Maloofs have been backed into the corner here. NBA has advised them to stay in Sacramento but they are so financially strung that they need a major cash injection and they need it NOW!

They know that if they stay in Sacramento, they will go bust and they don't want to sell the team so they are going to trust their gambling instinct and file anyway. Based on the advise of relocation committee, I think the BOG will vote against the move or set a ridiculously high relocation fee that Maloofs won't be able to pay it. This way they are forced to stay in Sacramento at least for a year.

This is where they are backed to the corner a lot more than they are now. NBA is aware that "the boys have no money" and are concerned where they are going with this. When the relocation request gets rejected, the Maloofs won't be able to return to Sacramento. They WILL be forced to sell.

They way they see it, they have nothing to lose by filing. On the off chance that their request gets approved, they live to fight another day. If it gets rejected, they are back to where they are now, being forced to sell because they can't afford to run the team anymore.

I would be very surprised if they can get enough votes to move to Anaheim. VERY VERY surprised. Make no mistake, Maloofs are broke and where never rich enough by NBA standards and as far as Stern and other owners see it, they would much rather have someone who treats the team as a hobby rather than business and can afford to throw the money around. If KJ failed to "get Burkle", it might have been a different story. NBA would love to have a team owned by Burkle who is willing to keep the team in Sacramento and work on a new arena.

I am cautiously optimistic that Kings will be in Sacramento next season, regardless of whether or not the Maloofs file. From their perspective they have nothing to lose by filing. They either get to Anaheim to fight another day and prolong the slow death, or they are forced to sell because they can't run the team any more. If the file, the burn their bridges in Sacramento and there is no way they can come back but since NBA is not really keen to have them as owners with their financial crisis, they won't be too forthcoming with a helping hand by approving the request to leave.
I think you make a very good point here. Unfortunately, I think you're right and that's exactly what they will do.

and IF Maloof family files for relocation BOG has up to 120 days to vote up or down the request. That would put final say by NBA not until as late as September 2011 - although presumably vote would go down much earlier than the last second. There's still ICON report in the meantime at end of May, and all the other efforts involving the mayor, State Senator Steinberg, etc. This saga still won't be over until the fat lady sings - whenever that is.

L

LWP777

Would a Maloof go on Grant's show right after announcing they were filing? Something tells me they wouldn't have the stomach for that.
Yeah, that is VERY interesting......I couldn't imagine that they would do that. I now think they aren't filing.

How high would Samulei go though? Let's say they manage to get approval but it comes with a 150-200 million dollar relocation fee, you think he's willing to go that far? He'd end up loaning the Magoofs more than the team is even worth.

Also, keep in mind that Buss would be doing his own politicking and surely has more clout and resources than the Magoofs.
I think they wouldn't file if they knew it was going to be that high. I would say it's going to be more like 50mil and yes, Samueli will cover it.

Would a Maloof go on Grant's show right after announcing they were filing? Something tells me they wouldn't have the stomach for that.
Grant had said (even before the BOG meetings in NY) that the Maloofs agreed to be on his show regardless of what happened (whether they filed or not) after a decision was made.

The more I think about it, I'm back to thinking they're staying, lol. Before the BOG meeting, they just said they were filing on Monday if things went well. No special announcement. So why would they all of a sudden have a big announcement to say they're filing?

I think they wouldn't file if they knew it was going to be that high. I would say it's going to be more like 50mil and yes, Samueli will cover it.
I've read it will probably be a lot more than that. OKC paid 30 million and that was to move to totally open market. The Maloofs want to move into a market with two teams that don't want them there and one stands to lose hundreds on millions on a TV deal.