Maloofs-- Well played?

For all the criticism of the Maloofs, if you think about it, this is probably going to be the best possible outcome for them and their business. They're finally going to get the new arena in Sac that they've been trying for for years (if you believe that), they'll nearly double their TV contract, they've got another 10mil in sponsorhip/ticket revenue, and the situation they're "coming back" to in Sac is far better than being under the wing of a vulturous landlord/business partner in a risky and unproven market.

If you set grudges and feelings aside, from a purely economic and business point of view, this was BRILLIANTLY played by the Maloofs as a way to finally mobilize the region the get an arena and they'll get a new tv deal, and have an even more fervent fan following than before. Now, hopefully they can just say the right things and make a re-entry fairly smooth. From the most recent quotes in the yahoo article, it seems they are actually capable of making the correct conciliatory remarks-- whether those remarks will get published by the Bee is another story.

I suspect though, that there will always be people who won't "forgive" them (as if they somehow didn't have the right to explore their options--sheesh). But I guess that's what comes when you have such emotionally invested fans. The good with the bad.

I do seriously think that this may have been a ploy, possibly cooked up by George, to finally grease the wheels in Sac and get things moving faster in the direction of a new arena.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If it was just a ploy I don't think it would have gone as far with Anaheim as it did and I also think they would have worked more with ICON in the early goings. Quite frankly if it weren't for KJ's persistence this team could have been lost when ICON balked after the Anaheim rumors began to take on an air of legitimacy. And they'd probably sound happy rather than conciliatory or snappy. I think they really wanted to do this but had no clue that they'd get the amount of resistance they did.

I think the Kings will just be fine, maybe in better shape as a result but I have no doubt that the Palms will take a hit from Kings fans loss of good will.

They might get a new arena, but they have nothing to bargain with because they revealed their hands in the Anaheim lease. In it, they made several concessions such sharing parking and concession revenue 50%, gate receipts, luxury suites, and ad revenue. The NBA wants the Kings in Sacramento, so unless the Maloofs want to make the same concessions, they can devote 100% of their time to building skate parks.

I don't think alienating the fan base, becoming the most hated people in Sacramento, and having other owners impugn about your viability and solvency as an owner is a good thing.

I don't think alienating the fan base, becoming the most hated people in Sacramento, and having other owners impugn about your viability and solvency as an owner is a good thing.
This all may be true, but the results aren't in yet. And in business it's all about results. IF they can repair their relationship with the fans, you gotta think they'll be happier here than with that whacked deal in Anaheim.

And again, from a purely strategic point of veiw... still sounding mildly conciliatory/borderline snappy is still perfect for sqeezing more out of this market.

And the Anaheim option needn't have been a false option to qualify this as a ploy to grease up sac. People think in terms of bluffing, as if they wouldn't really have done it... I do think they would have done it, if sac had not stepped up.

And, if they spend a bit on free agency after the CBA, and the team starts winning. I can guarantee you all will be good in the Maloof-average fan relationship, barring as I said of course those who will never "forgive".

I think you're giving them way too much credit. I've seen nothing from them that says they're brilliant business strategists. Their plans just backfired on them. It may end up working out in their favor in the long run but that's in spite of them, not because of them.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Does anyone get the idea that the Maloofs are now out of the decison making process? This focus on them is irrational. The NBA is now setting the timeline and is telling the city of Sacramento to come up with an arena. Sacarmento is not innocent in this mess.

In the process, the city must engage the Maloofs and not as enemies. The Maloofs have again become our business partners and I sure hope the people doing business don't hold the views of some of the people on this forum.

I've heard the hatred. I get it. Nothing will change the hatred. I get it. Now they probably resume the position they never officially left and that is the owners of a basketball team in Sacramento called the Kings. Do you all get that?

This arena will not be built on hatred but on reasonable, businesslike cooperation. As fans, we don't need to be reasonable and business like but I sure would like the past to be kept where it should be and that is in the past. We are now entering a new era.

This family is trying to save their financial rear ends and people would think they shot your pet dog and raped your cat. Or the other way around. Not sure. :) What do they owe us? Everything is moving along in the direction it should have been going long ago. Seems to me if the Maloofs hadn't shown that they were in a mess, desperate, and fed up with a city that at the highest levels ignored them, and that they were not simply these rich snot nosed children (not mutually exclusive I supppose :) ) we wouldnt' be where we are.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
BTW, I do not hate them, I am not alientated and never have been, so those who use the term "fan base" leave my ****ing name out of it. There is another fan base in town that may be foreign to you.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't hate them either but I'm not thrilled with how this was handled and will no longer go out of my way to patronize their other non-Kings business offerings. Still I think we are stuck with them so hopefully their other interests will revive themselves so they can spend freely on the team.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't hate them either but I'm not thrilled with how this was handled and will no longer go out of my way to patronize their other non-Kings business offerings. Still I think we are stuck with them so hopefully their other interests will revive themselves so they can spend freely on the team.
I understand but there is another way of looking at this. If the Maloofs had not done what they did, a new arena might never have been this far along in the development process. Never.

You mean you don't feel alienated as a fan when they refused to work with ICON/Taylor? ICON is the best in the business when it comes to building arenas, and when they jump into the picture, Maloofs say..nope, too late. You don't feel alienated when owners want to take away a team from a community who has supported them for 26 years to mitigate their financial misfortunes?

I understand but there is another way of looking at this. If the Maloofs had not done what they did, a new arena might never have been this far along in the development process. Never.
Again, the Maloofs have to do their part. Let's not pretend like the city is entirely at fault.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
But like I said, I think they could have done something similar without coming off looking like heels. We all know the arena plans needed to get finalized before the start of the next season (and now it looks like they've bought an extra 6 months which could translate into one more year at Arco than if they had a September deadline), there could have been better communication to KJ, they could have worked with ICON even if they viewed it as a backup plan, they could sound remotely happy that something is possibly going to workout in Sacramento. If they did most or just any of those things they might not be so reviled by most of the fanbase.

Don't think this is a business strategy, nor are they brilliant strategists.... reading what they have been saying to the press. they should be apologizing right.....now

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Again, the Maloofs have to do their part. Let's not pretend like the city is entirely at fault.
Me? Why are you saying this about me? I have never said the Maloofs weren't partially at fault. If you simply want to pick at words, let's go.

I don't think they played it brilliantly at all. I wonder what would have happened if they had just filed for relocation before the initial deadline, without tipping their hand and giving everybody time to gather forces against them. If they simply file on March 1, maybe they get the routine rubber stamp (or position Buss etc as selfish underminers).

In hindsight it may have been a collosal blunder by the Maloofs to postpone the deadline. It just made them look stinky, as if they wanted to sell a few more tickets.

I think they hardly could have played it more poorly. I wonder who is advising them. I bet if they were in cahoots with Oscar Goldman on a Las Vegas move, they'd have played it all much smarter and pulled it off.

I think they're not too bright actually.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
IMO, the bottom line is that I dislike what the Sac politicians have done the last decade up until KJ grabbed this situation by the horns and is doing all he can to keep the team, and I dislike the way the Maloofs have handled this the past 1-2 months. But if this ends up working out, and Sac gets an arena, then your grandchildren will be able to watch the Kings in person, and everyone, fans, politicians, the Maloofs, and the community will benefit.

3 years from now no one would be holding grudges, the team will be in the playoffs, we will have been selling out regularly, the excitement will be through the roof, and how the Maloofs handled these few weeks will be a distant memory.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Don't think this is a business strategy, nor are they brilliant strategists.... reading what they have been saying to the press. they should be apologizing right.....now
I wouldn't apologize for anything but would offer an explanation. As it is this is still way to premature. There has been no official decison as to where they will be next year.

Me? Why are you saying this about me? I have never said the Maloofs weren't partially at fault. If you simply want to pick at words, let's go.
You're right. I admit you have been very fair to both sides when saying both sides were at fault. I just don't think reputable when owners keep fans in the dark about a possible relocation and attempt to sneak the team out of town.

I don't think they played it brilliantly at all. I wonder what would have happened if they had just filed for relocation before the initial deadline, without tipping their hand and giving everybody time to gather forces against them. If they simply file on March 1, maybe they get the routine rubber stamp (or position Buss etc as selfish underminers).

In hindsight it may have been a collosal blunder by the Maloofs to postpone the deadline. It just made them look stinky, as if they wanted to sell a few more tickets.

I think they hardly could have played it more poorly. I wonder who is advising them. I bet if they were in cahoots with Oscar Goldman on a Las Vegas move, they'd have played it all much smarter and pulled it off.

I think they're not too bright actually.
They asked for the extension because they knew they didnt have the votes or the Anaheim deal completed.

I don't see this as a ploy to get a new arena here unless they were willing to move in which case it wasn't a ploy.. I think it's basically the way it looks.

1. The Maloofs wanted a bailout, and had one with Samueli
2. The council men/women in Anaheim vote 5-0 to loan the Maloofs the money + refurbish Honda Center
3. KJ takes the fight to the BOG meetings and impresses the hell out of the BOG
4. The Maloofs storm out of the BOG meetings and look distraught saying things that shouldn't have been said
5. Extension to figure out what KJ has put together
6. Committee comes to Sac and KJ impresses them yet again and overshoots expectations
7. Maloofs are down in LA sulking, and wondering what they will do now since it looks like they won't have the votes
8. Maloofs are painted as owners that don't have the money needed to run a franchise, and since the Dodger thing happened the writers are trying to connect the dots.

I have a feeling that come Monday we will get the final word on what's going to happen. I have a feeling that the Maloofs will go with whatever is decided and figure out what they will do with the franchise. I still think they need money in the short term, and the "WE WILL NOT SELL" was based on hopes of them getting approved to go to Anaheim. Basically they get approved to move to Anaheim and they won't sell to someone that is willing to keep them in Sacramento. BUT if they have to stay in Sac (the Maloofs) then they (Maloofs) might be looking at selling. I think that's going to get worked out after Monday though when it's announced we are going to stay..

You heard it here first. Mark this post :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Somehow I sincverely doubt it.

They appear more like wards of the court right now with the various adults trying to do what's right for them, whether they want it done or not.

I wouldn't classify any of their decision making in the past year as "brilliant" by any means. If anything, they're more like Michael Scott, bumbling their way to get what they want, going outside of normal protocol or decency to do so, pissing everyone off, and through some unfathomable chain of events kick started by their incompetency, ultimately getting their way at the end. And yes, KJ is Jim, and yes, the rest of the city council is Creed, the useless creep who leaves everyone else unsure of what exactly they do around here.

Have any of the players tweeted about anything yet? (to whoever follows them)
Donte Greene has thrown a few here we stays out there and retweeted some Kings fans thoughts.

Couple examples..

dontegreeneCOS Donte Greene
RT @kfippin: @dontegreeneCOS You proud of us man? How you like us now?! #HereWeBuild----very proud of da best fans n the NBA!!
22 Apr Favorite Retweet Reply
dontegreeneCOS Donte Greene
Ok I'm on da east coast so I need yall 2 rep...where my DONTE GREENE fans at!!!! #herewestay!!!!! Natomas!!! Bmore!!! COS!!!
20 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I wouldn't classify any of their decision making in the past year as "brilliant" by any means. If anything, they're more like Michael Scott, bumbling their way to get what they want, going outside of normal protocol or decency to do so, pissing everyone off, and through some unfathomable chain of events kick started by their incompetency, ultimately getting their way at the end. And yes, KJ is Jim, and yes, the rest of the city council is Creed, the useless creep who leaves everyone else unsure of what exactly they do around here.
Ha!

I kind of like that analogy.

Dwight= RE Graswich?