HERE WE SAY GOOD BYE game... Wasted effort

S

sactownfan

Is it just me or did this HERE WE STAY! sell out game with the intent on rallying support to keep the team, actually had the opposite effect?

if im the maloofs im laughing at all the fans because.... really? really? after the fact at the last hour, your plan is to sell out 1 game???? what a joke.... where were you the rest of the year??? your not bandwagon fans but where are you?

it should have been a HERE WE STAY YEAR!!!! not game....

way to show the maloofs you exist... but you chose not to come anymore...

there was way more to be excited about this year with the team... Evans coming off the ROY campaign and a new co-star in DMC.... plus some upgrades with Sammy D... yet no fans showed up....

this team hasn't been that unwatchable.... in fact its been very watchable... with a ton, TON of close games, frustrating still, yes, heartbreaking still, yes but theres a lot of things to continue to be excited about like DMC finally breaking out after the first few games.... but again no fans showed....

goin into the year there was an urgency about the arena and we all knew it was looking bad... if the fans wanted to help... selling out a single game after the fact was the worst strategy i've ever seen.... they should have been there all year...

if the fans had been coming out all year, its still possible the move would still go down, but it certainly would have been WAY WAY HARDER for the maloofs....

seems like a lot too late as far as the fans go....

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sactownfan

yes? i cant possibly be the only one that feels like its a little late? i mean seriously the 28th? the papers to move were actually originally due today... the fans literally waited till hours before the original filling date.... thats ridiculous

The Here We Stay group was around way before last night's game and have been urging fans to show up to the games and City Hall meetings.

If anyone should have been ahead on the curve for this, it should have been the media.

The media should have done reports on why ARCO Arena is obsolete, how a renovation would be too costly and building a new arena would be much wiser.

The media could have shown footage of what it's like all over ARCO Arena inside and out. Then compare it to other arenas across the country but also what it has done to their down town areas as well as how it impacted their quality of life.

The media could have shown how important ARCO Arena is to the nearby businesses and interviewed managers of local restaurants about how much of a difference an event at ARCO Arena does for their business. It would be like night and day.

The media dropped the ball on this.

Yes, the fans are to blame too. I'm tired of hearing that ticket prices are too much. They're actually quite good. Lots of deals throughout the year but like you said our team might not have the best record, but they're playing better and hard with passion. We have a team on the rise with cornerstones of Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins.

I also put the blame on the shoulders of our city council. We would have to go all the way back to when Gregg Lukenbill brought the Kings to Sacramento. He and his business partners paid for two arenas with no public financing. We can see how well that worked out for them because they had no choice but to sell the team to Jim Thomas. Not even Thomas could get a new arena as he asked for public help but that fell on deaf ears.

I applaud the Here We Stay group. At least they're trying.

Last edited:
I thought of it as a flexible gesture. If it accomplished anything, great! If not, then we gave the team a good send off.

I'm about as pessimistic as you are, and probably as angry, but I don't see what harm could have come of it.

yes? i cant possibly be the only one that feels like its a little late? i mean seriously the 28th? the papers to move were actually originally due today... the fans literally waited till hours before the original filling date.... thats ridiculous
Dude, it's okay. Spencer Hawes got traded months ago...

S

sactownfan

My thoughts exactly. Thought the whole thing was lame and pointless.
i'd just like to say it was great to see the place full, and actually get a win was perfect.... just wish it didn't have to be only the 2nd sell out all year.

the reason for the sell out was stupid.... it should be full or almost full every game... these kids could use the support.... as well as the team

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Yes.

There is no such thing as a wasted effort. It all contributes. Whether it is enough, who knows? It may just be a grain of sand on a beach of issues and concerns for MSE.

Or maybe it is a symbolic measure to tell MSE that the fans are still here if the product improves. You know, if the Kings were playing well, LOOK WHAT YOU COULD HAVE. It sends a couple messages. We are still here and will support the Kings. We want an arena and the team in Sacramento. We also want a better product.

Or, you can continue to whine and moan and complain about other's efforts to keep the team.

Tell me, did you go to the game? How many games have you gone to this year? Have you written emails to city council folks and the Mayor and MSE? Are you logging on to the Bee and contributing to the conversation in the local paper? What have YOU done to justify all the complaining in your post?

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. Thought the whole thing was lame and pointless.
I don't get this. Making an effort to show the owners that the fans still love their team is "lame and pointless"? Would it be better if the fans just laid down and did nothing to try to hang on to the team?

We can talk all day about how more could have been done earlier, about how attendance sucks, etc. But the fact of the matter is that the team has needed an arena for years now, including when the team was good and fans were setting attendance records. It's crunch time now, and the fans stepped up in a real way last night. They deserve credit for that.

S

sactownfan

I don't get this. Making an effort to show the owners that the fans still love their team is "lame and pointless"? Would it be better if the fans just laid down and did nothing to try to hang on to the team?

We can talk all day about how more could have been done earlier, about how attendance sucks, etc. But the fact of the matter is that the team has needed an arena for years now, including when the team was good and fans were setting attendance records. It's crunch time now, and the fans stepped up in a real way last night. They deserve credit for that.
even if the fans managed to sell out every game from here on out.... so what? theres zero evidence to suggest that people will keep coming... there was a good reason for attendance to pick up this year.... people could have ACTUALLY MADE A POINT by going to the games all year... but all the evidence suggests that people are going to stop going again.... a game here or there at the very last hour, when it appears to be too late, isn't something to get all excited about...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I went. It was fun, it was loud, and it was worth it. As a fan I have no control of what other fans do with their money, or what the Maloofs or city council ultimately decide to do.

One thing I can control is going to the game, and showing my support. Last night, 17,316 other fans did the same. Was it wasted effort? Doubtful. The Maloofs got the message that the fans love the team and want them to stay. But there are too many other factors in a potential move to act like if they do indeed move, this was a wasted effort.

I know one thing, and is that last night didn't hurt the situation. I don't believe the Maloofs really want to move, but instead are being forced to consider other options, because of our incompitent city council. I think they do in fact value the fanbase, but no matter how much they do value us, they need an arena to play in. That's out of our control as fans. All we can do is let them know how much we want them here, and last night accomplished just that.

I would think any fan of the team would be proud that other fans stepped up and made their voices heard, instead of sitting back and being passive. I spent over 4 hours in my car driving to and from the game. At least some of us coughed up the money to support our team last night, instead of passively sitting at our computers and criticizing those who did actually show their support.

Or maybe it is a symbolic measure to tell MSE that the fans are still here if the product improves. You know, if the Kings were playing well, LOOK WHAT YOU COULD HAVE. It sends a couple messages. We are still here and will support the Kings. We want an arena and the team in Sacramento. We also want a better product.
Since we're talking about it (even though I don't think this thread has merit at this point in time), I had to watch the Clippers broadcast last night because the League Pass broadcast was blacked out in SoCal. Came away with two major observations: (1) Demarcus Cousins has a reputation for being pouty, petulant and immature, and whether it's deserved or not, he's going to be criticized for it around the league (which really sucks, because they wouldn't let it go late in the game;

(2) The Clipper broadcast team interviewed Kevin Johnson in the second quarter, and he made a comment about how it's great that the Kings can sell out, even for the Clippers, meaning that they traditionally aren't a team that packs the house on the road. Ralph Lawler, the Clippers play-by-play guy, took umbrage at that comment, and made a big stink about it on the air, only partly joking, because with Blake Griffin, the Clippers attendance has been much better. He continued to complain about this into the 3rd quarter, where he made this comment, which is my actual point: The Clippers attendance figures are better than the Kings figures by 4,500 this year.

So I went to double check those numbers, and they check out. The Clippers average 17,318/game (90.9%), while the Kings average 13,621 (78.7%). They outdrew the Kings by 3,000 last year, and by over 3,500 in 2009. They've outdrawn the Kings every year for several seasons. http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

There are several factors that go into this, and my objective is not to suggest that Kings fans aren't loyal or anything to that effect. But the Kings are the only ticket in town. The Clippers are third rate in their own building, not to mention all the other things there are to do in LA, other than pay to watch a bad basketball team.

The Kings have had two sellouts this year. Again, several factors to consider, but it does make you wonder -- if they can sell out a nondescript game at the tail end of a(nother) bad season, how come they aren't at least approaching 85% attendance for the season?

even if the fans managed to sell out every game from here on out.... so what? theres zero evidence to suggest that people will keep coming... there was a good reason for attendance to pick up this year.... people could have ACTUALLY MADE A POINT by going to the games all year... but all the evidence suggests that people are going to stop going again.... a game here or there at the very last hour, when it appears to be too late, isn't something to get all excited about...
We can play that game all day long. The community leaders could have made a point to the team years ago when they were winning 50 games a year and making deep playoff runs, that they were serious about getting the team a new arena. When the economy was good, when the team was good, when money was easy, an arena could have been done. And it didn't get done. So it's not all about attendance, and it's not all about the performance of the team.

What it really comes down to is that the community has neglected to get an arena deal done for years now, regardless of the circumstances.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Is it just me or did this HERE WE STAY! sell out game with the intent on rallying support to keep the team, actually had the opposite effect?

if im the maloofs im laughing at all the fans because.... really? really? after the fact at the last hour, your plan is to sell out 1 game???? what a joke.... where were you the rest of the year??? your not bandwagon fans but where are you?

it should have been a HERE WE STAY YEAR!!!! not game....

way to show the maloofs you exist... but you chose not to come anymore...

there was way more to be excited about this year with the team... Evans coming off the ROY campaign and a new co-star in DMC.... plus some upgrades with Sammy D... yet no fans showed up....

this team hasn't been that unwatchable.... in fact its been very watchable... with a ton, TON of close games, frustrating still, yes, heartbreaking still, yes but theres a lot of things to continue to be excited about like DMC finally breaking out after the first few games.... but again no fans showed....

goin into the year there was an urgency about the arena and we all knew it was looking bad... if the fans wanted to help... selling out a single game after the fact was the worst strategy i've ever seen.... they should have been there all year...

if the fans had been coming out all year, its still possible the move would still go down, but it certainly would have been WAY WAY HARDER for the maloofs....

seems like a lot too late as far as the fans go....
Were in the now, and not yesterday. We can't go back and do anything about the previous games. So were trying to do something about whats left of the season. Now maybe your just fine with sitting in a corner somewhere and reading about the Maloofs leaving town. But I and many others aren't, so were attempting to do something about it. If you don't want to lift a finger, if doing nothing, and just accepting a suspossed result is your intent, fine! But don't criticize those that are doing what they can. And don't make light of it. Those that are trying don't deserve that. If there's one thing I truely dislike, its a quiter. They let others do their work for them, while screaming it can't be done the whole time. Try writing a letter. Do something to help. If you can't do that, then shut up. Sorry if I'm coming on strong. But I'm up to my eyeballs with this negative crap.

Whats that old saying. "Either lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way"

Unfortunately, I think the Here We Stay game, though well intended was like sinking a half court shot at the end of the game to win it, only to find out that time had expired before the shot left the shooters hand.
Nice try. Still time to get your River Cats tickets.

What's your point? It was all a waste of time? We're stupid for even trying? Hire the trucks to haul the Kings stuff away somewhere? Give me a break. Do I want the Kings to stay? Absolutely. I should be doing everything I can think of to keep them here.

Are they gone yet? Is there anyone out there to influence? Could a local person or group step forwand and offer the Maloofs a price they can't refuse? Can the region vote to fund a replacement arena here in Sacramento? Could the Maloofs want to stay?

There are a thousand reasons why last night's efforts was not too late or useless or a waste of time and money. Let's build a new arena and keep the Kings in Sacramento.

You know, there are a lot of people in here that have been pleading with fans to do something anything to help keep the team here for some time. So this was NOT a last minute effort. People willing to speak up and be heard and willing to donate their time to the cause have been a little hard to come by. Maybe the fans here want the team, but can't be bothered to actually try and do something about it, like letters to the paper, attending city council meetings, writing to the mayor, the Maloofs, the various media, posintg on comment pages in favor of a new arena.

Personally, I go to as many games as I can, including ones where the crowd was dead as a zombie. I still was being loud, even when I felt like a fool. There were people in front of me that just gave me snide looks most of the night, and they were like complete stiffs. I didn't let them stop me.

All I've seen so far is posturing and speculation. I like facts. I had a great time last night and love the fact this issue has some momentum. I don't think any of us know what the future holds, but I "feel" better actually doing something. Whatever happens I don't think this issue is going away anytime soon. If nothing else, by making a stand, we are educating the public or the casual fan that we really do need a new venue.

I joined this site because I like reading thoughts of others with the same goal. Please try to stay positive, and stay focused on that.
I've lived here my whole life and don't plan on leaving. Hopefully we can make an impact on the future of Sacramento

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It is instructional to see the worms ooze out of the dying carcasses because a lot of people are like this. They are fans, I guess, but a peculiar breed found in a few select cities. Sacramento has them in bunches. They probably enjoy basketball but that isn't the issue. They've got their 60" TVs and don't care where the team is. They are more concerned about their peculiar view and that incredible need to be "right" when everybody else is wrong. They have been this way since the Kings got here.

It took 25 years but now it appears they finally get the chance to be "right." After 25 years of being "wrong" at would be awful to be wrong now but it seems safe and they poke their heads out to expound their superioity. What a wonderful day to be above the squallor of the average fan who has hope and even puts out effort in a cause that may already be decided.

They aren't going to be sucked in and waste their precious energy as they are VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE and can't be botherd by the concerns of the semi illiteratti. It is too bad there are so many. I believe many work for the Bee. Or perhaps thats where the lead worm resides.

I have not seen a note from this gentleman during all the time everyone was working their *** off to organize a sell out. Too much work and they are VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE and can't be bothered.

Why this now?

Were they too deep into their own world to notice the work that has been going on over the years.? Too messy, I suppose. Too much work.

Last edited:
Would be nice if "Here we stay" campaign wouldn't end after this game... If Arco would be sold out for like 2 weeks in a row with the same message over and over again, I think it would shake things up little bit more. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I see it.

Are there any videos of chanting?

S

sactownfan

ha... i like all the hate... simply for stating the obvious... it was nice game with a rare sellout... im just not sharing this way over the top excitement over the only the 2nd sellout all year... i think its just embarrassing since 2006 the clippers have had a better fan base than the "nba's best fans" .... sure our teams have been bad but so have the clippers.... before landing griffen they were awful...

having basically the worst attendance in the league THIS YEAR is the black eye that is sealing the deal on a move...(remember NJ has a new arena on the way)

and one sell out isn't gonna bring back all the money the Maloofs arent making because of this horrendous fan support....

this year, this team deserved to have more fans... maybe this energy would have helped them to win more of these nail bitters, like last night... it would certainly be making a real argument to keep the team....instead this team plays with the least amount of fans in the league... on a nightly basis

It was not a waste of time. Far from it.

I think the Maloofs know that we are some of the best fans in any major league sport in the country. Last night probably reminded them on an emotional level what they have here and I am sure that they do not want to leave. However, what choice do they really have with the facilities here.

If nothing else, I think last night increases the chances that one day in the distant future Gavin will look at Joe on the sidelines at the Honda Center and say "you know, this has never been as much fun as it was when we were in Sactown."

Kudos to everyone that had a part in last night's special game.

ha... i like all the hate... simply for stating the obvious... it was nice game with a rare sellout... im just not sharing this way over the top excitement over the only the 2nd sellout all year... i think its just embarrassing since 2006 the clippers have had a better fan base than the "nba's best fans" .... sure our teams have been bad but so have the clippers.... before landing griffen they were awful...

having basically the worst attendance in the league THIS YEAR is the black eye that is sealing the deal on a move...(remember NJ has a new arena on the way)

and one sell out isn't gonna bring back all the money the Maloofs arent making because of this horrendous fan support....

this year, this team deserved to have more fans... maybe this energy would have helped them to win more of these nail bitters, like last night... it would certainly be making a real argument to keep the team....instead this team plays with the least amount of fans in the league... on a nightly basis
The Maloofs are not considering leaving because of poor fan support. They may be leaving because of the dismal arena situation. If every game this year was sold out they would still be speaking to Anaheim. If no games were sold out, but we were building a new arena they would not be talking to Anaheim.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

If you think this was about one game, you are ignorant. It wasn't about one game but this one game proved that the small man has power despite the snide remarks of the VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE. if it was merely about sell outs, the Maloofs would stay as this team is making a significant turn around. The future will be about sellouts. I believe it was Joe Maloof who admitted that he didn't understand the team had to suck for awhile to return to being a team to be very proud of. It sucks now, and soon will not. Perhaps you don't undertsand how iit works.

Perhaps, in the midst of your glee, you do not understand that Sacramento will suffer if the arena isn't built. Maybe it will diversify and raise sheep as well as the famous cows. Lots of money in wool these days.

Last edited: