Playing Above the Rim

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm sorry, but playing above the rim is NOT a requirement to sucess in the paint. Kevin McHale, Larry Bird, Karl Malove, and Tim Duncan are some of the best scorers in the paint of all time and none of them "played above the rim". Sitting here thinking about it, Bill Walton comes to mind as does Vlade Divac. I'll even mention Larry Johnson who played most of his career below the rim, but was still a very good scorer in the paint. Some of the most athletic big men end up having only a few years of sucess in the paint because they rely on their athleticism and never develop the skills needed to keep scoring as they get older.
Shaq is a prime example of formerly athletic big men who now struggle to achieve a fraction of their earlier success.

Shaq is a prime example of formerly athletic big men who now struggle to achieve a fraction of their earlier success.
And I think we can expect the same thing to happen to both Amare Stoudlemire and Dwight Howard if they don't develop a post game of some kind. It would have happened to CWebb if he didn't have his baby hook shot. Even so, he still started to rely more and more on that elbow jumper to get his points.

The two teams in the finals, who were the 2 best defensive teams in the league, Bos and LA, don't have bigs that are extremely athletic and play above the rim. Perkins in not explosive. Garnett hasn't been in years. Big Baby can't get off the floor. Bynum has hobbled around on an injured knee for a few seasons now. Gasol was considered very soft on that end, and has never been considered a great athlete. So the top 2 teams defensively, who made it to the finals, don't have anyone on their frontlines who will impress with their vertical jumping ability. This is one example of many.

Experience, size, positioning, rotation, understanding angles, understanding nba defensive schemes, knowing opponents preferences, and timing are all much more important than how high a given player can jump. To come out and say we should put an emphasis on playing above the rim seems incredibly rediculous to me.

When you want to have a great defensive team, or you want to make improvements on that end, do you think a coaching staff will tell the entire frontline to spend the summer working on their vert jumping? Please. They will head straight to the film room, and then practice schemes and rotations on the court.
Are you kidding me. Lakers front court and KG define Above the rim play. Even in his old age KG still release way above the rim and shoots over anybody he wants in the paint.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Are you kidding me. Lakers front court and KG define Above the rim play. Even in his old age KG still release way above the rim and shoots over anybody he wants in the paint.
Were you watching the games upside down? The frontcourts of both teams are lucky if they even get their feet off the ground.

Were you watching the games upside down? The frontcourts of both teams are lucky if they even get their feet off the ground.
You need to get new glasses. Bynum and Gasol dunked on fools all throughout the playoff. Go back and watch the lakers playoff run again with new glasses.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You need to get new glasses. Bynum and Gasol dunked on fools all throughout the playoff. Go back and watch the lakers playoff run again with new glasses.
There is a difference between "dunking on fools" and "playing above the rim". Just about anybody in the NBA taller than 6'4" can dunk. Yao is 7'6" and can dunk by just standing under the basket. He does not, however, "play above the rim"

There is a difference between "dunking on fools" and "playing above the rim". Just about anybody in the NBA taller than 6'4" can dunk. Yao is 7'6" and can dunk by just standing under the basket. He does not, however, "play above the rim"
You can't dunk on people in a real game if you don't play above the RIM.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You can't dunk on people in a real game if you don't play above the RIM.
Then what exactly is your definition of playing above the rim then. Because Cousins can dunk, so by that standard he plays above the rim. Hell, everyone on our team with the exception of Beno can dunk so I guess our team is chalk-full of high flyers.

Then what exactly is your definition of playing above the rim then. Because Cousins can dunk, so by that standard he plays above the rim. Hell, everyone on our team with the exception of Beno can dunk so I guess our team is chalk-full of high flyers.
They all can dunk in open but in traffic with aggressive defenders, no way. Did you see Omri try to dunk in traffic? He barely makes it. Our new front line definitely have potential to all play above the rim. We got length. Just have to learn how to use the right technique and to build up some explosiveness.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They all can dunk in open but in traffic with aggressive defenders, no way. Did you see Omri try to dunk in traffic? He barely makes it. Our new front line definitely have potential to all play above the rim. We got length. Just have to learn how to use the right technique and to build up some explosiveness.
KG, Gasol, One-Legged Bynum, and No Legs Perkin are not shining examples of explosiveness.