Should the Kings just go Crazy big with a Sequoia lineup? TIMBER!

The other day I was thinking that maybe the Kings should just go with a crazy big lineup, and make that their forte. I think other teams would look at our games coming up on the schedule, and it would be one of those situations where they would kinda think... "oh crap... we have to deal with the big trees of Sacramento".

Here is the lineup:

PG: Tyreke Evans 6'6
SG: Donte Greene 6'11
SF: Hassan Whiteside 6'11
PF: DeMarcus Cousins 6'11
C: Samuel Dalembert 6'11

You're point guard is 6'6, and every other player is freaking 6'11 ! This would be a crazy lineup to put out on the floor. You'd have to wonder how teams around the league would adjust to a lineup like that. The question is, could Donte play D against 2 guards, and could Whiteside play D against small forwards? I think that Donte would do a better job against 2 guards than Whiteside against 3's, but I think we could hide some of our defensive deficiencies.

I'd love to see us just try something Crazy like this. I remember Portland did it back in the day, with a super tall starting lineup. They dominated everybody on the boards, and were a tough defensive team. Sometimes, they had some serious matchup problems when playing defense against some of the smaller super-quick guards, but they were still a dominant team.

Sounds nice but not practical. Donte cannot play big minutes at SG because he's a below average ball handler - and that's being kind. DMC who sees the entire court better than most, might be a better candidate to lead the break than Greene. Donte more often than not turns the ball over on breaks when he leads it. He's great in transition but only if he's not leading it.

I like the idea. We're basicaly already going to be doing that with a lineup that will most likely consist of Evans/Garcia/Greene/Thompson/Cousins. That lineup will be on the floor at some point as well as other player variations with similar height. Weve got a tall team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It might not be practical, as Purple Haze has said, but it sure sounds fun!! I'd love to see it at least once this year...

I like the idea. We're basicaly already going to be doing that with a lineup that will most likely consist of Evans/Garcia/Greene/Thompson/Cousins. That lineup will be on the floor at some point as well as other player variations with similar height. Weve got a tall team.
True, we can already come very close to the same accumulated height without forcing anybody into an unnatural position.

Bingo.. and that's actually the starting lineup I would prefer if JT steps his game up...

It sounds fun, but I fear that teams with speedy players would make us pay.

Just the same, I won't be surprised if PW tries it out, he seems to like trying every possible combination.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just don't think we'd have enough ball handling. It would be turnover city. Actually, I think even with Cisco in there we're going to have turnover issues. The Kings really need another guard who is very quick to release the pressure that other teams are going to put on them. At this point, Beno is satisfactory, but just not quite good enough.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Cousins/Thompson is maybe possible but I think overall unlikely to be the duo up front as neither can defend the hoop at a high level and I suspect we're going to want a steadying vet presence in there.

Otherwise every single member of our frontcourt except Landry is 6'11" or taller (until/unless Brockman signs back on), and our SF is almost always going to be at least 6'9", and often 6'11" himself. We're going to have a naturally big lineup bascially for every miute Landry is not on the floor.

This is defiantly a fun idea, just an unrealistic idea.

Our team is pretty close to that except for we would have someone like Garcia at the 2. Still a pretty big lineup.

haha well wouldnt it be better if it was tyreke/green/thompson/demarcus/dalembert?
because green can guard the 2 and thompson was "quick enough to guard 3's" or thats what i was told when we drafted him.

but the ideal lineup would be tyreke/omri/green/thompson/demarcus wouldnt it?
because omri and green can knock down shots, and in addition you get a "big" lineup that can play uptempo. because thompson and demarcus arent slugs. they can run the floor.
am i crazy or does this make sense?

Not so fast, Jason Jones ends his article today by saying that Garcia may end up the starting SF. :confused: :rolleyes:
Thats always a possibility. In fact prior to his freak accident last year, I am pretty sure that Westphal said he would start Garcia at SF because his shooting is a nice complement to Evans. During some of the pre-season games Garcia was starting at SF then the freak accident happened and we opened the season with Mason at SF :eek:

It all comes down to Donte being able to handle screens and keeping up with the quickness of guys like Roy and Kobe. Donte bulked up and is gearing himself for the 3. He's too big to keep up with the quick 2's in my opinion.