Monroe over Cousins ISN'T A BASKETBALL DECISION

I think nearly everyone recognizes Cousins is a much better prospect and brings more to the game than Monroe

The problem lies in character and when I hear thing like Cousins makes Artest seem very sane and he may be bi-polar and look at players like Beasley and West.. I really start wondering

It seems like he left a horrible impression on a lot of teams during his interview -- I mean how hard could it be not to mess up an interview when I'm sure his agent went through most of the questions with him before hand.

If the draft was based on talent/potential alone..Cousins goes #3 without question.. but I'm really starting to worry about his mental state and don't want someone like that around our young core(which I'm beginning to think is Petrie's stance)

I still think his talent is worth the gamble. Artest was an immature loner who was lost in his own little world. Cousins is just a cranky teenager. We need an impact player in this draft not a 4th fiddle.

There's a lot of speculation in your post.

Also, if we really don't like Cousins, then why Monroe? Why take a big that offers nothing you want in a big? I'd rather swing for the fences with Ed Davis than pick Monroe.

Frankly, I'm still a little puzzled at why so many thought his interview was that bad. He certainly wasn't disrespectful or too cocky in giving his answers. Ultimately, I'm going to trust Petrie on this one. I'm trying to not get my hopes up as I really want to see Cousins in a Kings uniform.

Also, if we really don't like Cousins, then why Monroe? Why take a big that offers nothing you want in a big? I'd rather swing for the fences with Ed Davis than pick Monroe.
This. Monroe is the only person I'll be upset with us taking in this draft. I literally can't think of one good reason to be excited about him. As a center, he's undersized, under-athletic, and doesn't have a rep as a good defender. We just got rid of a guy who was bigger and more athletic than him for being too soft.

This. Monroe is the only person I'll be upset with us taking in this draft. I literally can't think of one good reason to be excited about him. As a center, he's undersized, under-athletic, and doesn't have a rep as a good defender. We just got rid of a guy who was bigger and more athletic than him for being too soft.
Maybe a better title for this thread would be, "Picking somebody other than Cousins is not a basketball decision."

Cousins might give me a heart attack, but Monroe may cause me to die of boredom. I'm still open to other possibilities than those two.

gunks

Hall of Famer
For real.

We're finally moving away from the softness. Drafting Monroe would be a huge step backwords.

If Cuz is gone, I'd prefer us trading (way down) and getting one of Aldrich/Whiteside/Udoh + throw in goodies.

Every decision is a basketball decision. Make no mistake about that. Part of the decision-making is all the intangibles that are much harder to judge in such young players, like character, desire, work ethic and maturity.

I think nearly everyone recognizes Cousins is a much better prospect and brings more to the game than Monroe

The problem lies in character and when I hear thing like Cousins makes Artest seem very sane and he may be bi-polar and look at players like Beasley and West.. I really start wondering

It seems like he left a horrible impression on a lot of teams during his interview -- I mean how hard could it be not to mess up an interview when I'm sure his agent went through most of the questions with him before hand.

If the draft was based on talent/potential alone..Cousins goes #3 without question.. but I'm really starting to worry about his mental state and don't want someone like that around our young core(which I'm beginning to think is Petrie's stance)
Because he dogged the interviews because he wants to be in Sac and Sac wants him here and Reke said so and they are friends and he and his agent are not bumbling idiots applying for a job at McDonald's!!!

If you are beginning to think that is Petrie's stance, then I'm happy because then maybe other people are beginning to think that is his stance which would mean he would be successfully diverting attention from who he really wants to pick. This is a multi-million dollar poker game here folks. You think there might be a little bluffing and charading going on? Our entire organization had 7/8 of the basketball world thinking we were DYING for Rubio last year! What with his "second visit", his special treatment from the Maloofs, meanwhile all along they were never planning on it. They wanted Tyreke all along!

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if I found out that last year Tyreke wanted to be here too (common knowledge) and did his best to "arrange" (i.e. dog a workout slightly, dog an interview slightly) to not get picked before 4. Both players and teams have a sense of who best they would fit with, and both sides want that, despite the posturing. If Cousins wants to be here, there are things his camp can do. And no, this is not like that Chinese official with his ridiculous act with Yi. Tad more sophisticated.

Last edited:
If you are beginning to think that is Petrie's stance, then I'm happy because then maybe other people are beginning to think that is his stance which would mean he would be successfully diverting attention from who he really wants to pick. This is a multi-million dollar poker game here folks. You think there might be a little bluffing and charading going on? Our entire organization had 7/8 of the basketball world thinking we were DYING for Rubio last year! What with his "second visit", his special treatment from the Maloofs, meanwhile all along they were never planning on it. They wanted Tyreke all along!

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if I found out that last year Tyreke wanted to be here too (common knowledge) and did his best to "arrange" (i.e. dog a workout slightly, dog an interview slightly) to not get picked before 4. Both players and teams have a sense of who best they would fit with, and both sides want that, despite the posturing. If Cousins wants to be here, there are things his camp can do. And no, this is not like that Chinese official with his ridiculous act with Yi. Tad more sophisticated.
That is not true at all. I can't recall many sources saying they have actually heard that the Kings liked Rubio. Many sources said that they're down on him, and Jerry Reynolds did nothing but bluntly talk about how awful he is. Rubio was linked to the Kings so much because many people supposed that the Kings would like him because we were weak at PG and he was considered the best one in the draft.

Are teams allowed to give any type of psych tests? I feel like with the money at stake they should be. If Cousins is officially bipolar, I'd have to pass, as much as I want him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Here's the thing. So far everything you mentioned is a rumor. Show me a quote by any team official or team PR man that said Cousins didn't do well in a team interview. He says that Cousins makes Artest look sane and then accuses him of being Bi-Polar. My wife's son is Bi-Polar, and its nothing to joke about or to insinuate about without proof. He has no evidence, or factual quotes to back up any of it. He just throws it out there, and then it becomes fact to some people.

My god, do you wonder why Cousins doesn't get along with the press. This guy has probably never even spoken with Cousins, and yet all this crap comes out of him. There treating Cousins like he's a child murderer, or a violent maniac. Its beyond me where they come up with this stuff.

In his interview at the combine a reporter asked him where he thought his bad reputation came from. Cousins replied, You guys!. They didn't like that answer, because we all know the press is lily white and can do no wrong. The truth is, Cousins was right! Like Cousins said in an interview, "There are some that say I'll be behind bars in 3 or 4 years. How am I susposed to respond to that?"

Are teams allowed to give any type of psych tests? I feel like with the money at stake they should be. If Cousins is officially bipolar, I'd have to pass, as much as I want him.
I think they do give them some kind of psychological test/exam, I could be wrong though.

What's the deal with people calling him bipolar? I think we should leave diagnoses like to the professionals that are in position to do so.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's a lot of speculation in your post.

I agree 100%. I'd go with Davis or Udoh before Monroe. As a matter of fact, I'd take Aldrich before Monroe. At least he'd give us rebounding and defense.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That is not true at all. I can't recall many sources saying they have actually heard that the Kings liked Rubio. Many sources said that they're down on him, and Jerry Reynolds did nothing but bluntly talk about how awful he is. Rubio was linked to the Kings so much because many people supposed that the Kings would like him because we were weak at PG and he was considered the best one in the draft.
You are absolutely right.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You are aware that Bi-Polar is a very treatable disease, right? I would hate to think that any person would be thrown in the trash pile because of something they have no control over. My son in law is bi-polar and leads a normal life with a wife and three son's. You would never know that he has the disease if you met him.

I've seen my son in law off his medication, and although the disease is different in every person, I've seen nothing in Cousins that would indicate he's bi-polar. I suspect the person that made the comment has no clue about the disease.

We are all looking at the same tea leaves without any personal knowledge. I see a ton of the pro-Cousins camp screaming, “you are making a of assumptions” the alleged issues and incidents are legitimate problems … while at the same time, looking at the same tea leaves and assuming there is no problem. I find that equally funny and frustrating.

Moreover, balancing risk v. reward is part of a basketball decision.

You are aware that Bi-Polar is a very treatable disease, right? I would hate to think that any person would be thrown in the trash pile because of something they have no control over. My son in law is bi-polar and leads a normal life with a wife and three son's. You would never know that he has the disease if you met him.

I've seen my son in law off his medication, and although the disease is different in every person, I've seen nothing in Cousins that would indicate he's bi-polar. I suspect the person that made the comment has no clue about the disease.
Yeah I don't believe Cousins is bi-polar either, but.....

I just thought for the first time what the worst case scenario might be in the form of a flash of the future in my mind and it is Derrick Coleman-esque anathema. I certainly hope that's not going to be the case but the league has seen the type before and it was never good. After that if Petrie and gang take someone else I'll hold my tongue until a worthwhile sample of results are in.

We are all looking at the same tea leaves without any personal knowledge. I see a ton of the pro-Cousins camp screaming, “you are making a of assumptions” the alleged issues and incidents are legitimate problems … while at the same time, looking at the same tea leaves and assuming there is no problem. I find that equally funny and frustrating.

Moreover, balancing risk v. reward is part of a basketball decision.
I agree. There's a reason he will be available at 4,5, or 6. Its not just something people on this board are wildly speculating about, its something GM's have seriously factored into his value.

I saw bigfoot last night... I don't have any proof but.........

BPA is Cousins (if he falls to 5th). We should go with him. We aren't in the position to start worrying about other rumors and such that probably aren't true.

Here's the thing. So far everything you mentioned is a rumor. Show me a quote by any team official or team PR man that said Cousins didn't do well in a team interview. He says that Cousins makes Artest look sane and then accuses him of being Bi-Polar. My wife's son is Bi-Polar, and its nothing to joke about or to insinuate about without proof. He has no evidence, or factual quotes to back up any of it. He just throws it out there, and then it becomes fact to some people.

My god, do you wonder why Cousins doesn't get along with the press. This guy has probably never even spoken with Cousins, and yet all this crap comes out of him. There treating Cousins like he's a child murderer, or a violent maniac. Its beyond me where they come up with this stuff.

In his interview at the combine a reporter asked him where he thought his bad reputation came from. Cousins replied, You guys!. They didn't like that answer, because we all know the press is lily white and can do no wrong. The truth is, Cousins was right! Like Cousins said in an interview, "There are some that say I'll be behind bars in 3 or 4 years. How am I susposed to respond to that?"
Exactly!! I am not the best at putting my thoughts into words, but you pretty much said what I am thinking.

As someone who is bipolar, I'm aware of the treatments. And I'd stick with my stance if he were officially diagnosed, and I'll leave it at that.

As someone who is bipolar, I'm aware of the treatments. And I'd stick with my stance if he were officially diagnosed, and I'll leave it at that.
I don't understand why it's even a question with Cousins. Has anyone near him even suggested that he might be bipolar?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Every decision is a basketball decision. Make no mistake about that. Part of the decision-making is all the intangibles that are much harder to judge in such young players, like character, desire, work ethic and maturity.
Absolutely. One thing that Reynolds harps on is work ethic. You can have a ton of talent, but if you don't have the work ethic, forget about it. I'm hearing a lot of stuff about Cousins' work ethic. Is it smoke or is it for real? If he hasn't shown the work ethic college, then that's a deal breaker in my book. You're not going to make somebody work hard. They either have it in them or they don't.