Kevin martin traded to rockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be fine with the New York trade provided we get at least a 1st rounder from it. But if we do that trade then we should be looking to move a big man. Landry, Hill, and Dorsey in addition to JT and Hawes is very crowded set of young bigs.

If at all possible find a way to send one of the young bigs away paired with one of our longer contracts for a shorter contract.

rockets fans are VASTLY overrating carl landry, most seem upset because he was a fan favorite, they think that landry for martin straight up is a ripoff, what a bunch of morons
Yeah, especially if Kevin Martin was playing more than 60 games a year and shooting over 40%.

Carl Landry is a tough nail. He's really amazing. The Kings lucked out. And I also would like McGrady on the Kings until the end of the year. I need that jersey.

L

LWP777

Wow! This trade is absolutely amazing. The Kings were a BETTER team WITHOUT KMart even on the floor this year. I don't know why that was, but that was a fact. Once he came back almost every player's production dropped because he was stealing away minutes away from those who had earned them.

We pick up Landry, who is a great young PF who actually plays DEFENSE and DUNKS a lot. That rounds out our frontline nicely.

And then on top of that, we will probably trade TMac for a nice young prospect (Hill) and possibly some picks? This is one of the best parts of the deal.

GP made out this year. I think all those years of suffering finally paid off!!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wow! This trade is absolutely amazing. The Kings were a BETTER team WITHOUT KMart even on the floor this year. I don't know why that was, but that was a fact. Once he came back almost every player's production dropped because he was stealing away minutes away from those who had earned them.

We pick up Landry, who is a great young PF who actually plays DEFENSE and DUNKS a lot. That rounds out our frontline nicely.

And then on top of that, we will probably trade TMac for a nice young prospect (Hill) and possibly some picks? This is one of the best parts of the deal.

GP made out this year. I think all those years of suffering finally paid off!!
You really can't accuse Geoff of sitting on his hands this year.

Wow... just wow... So we get a "big" that cannot board to save his life unless it's a putback offensively. I don't really like Landry's game much.. I don't think he fits here. He can play D, but ehhh... I am tired of undersized big men.

Dorsey is a nice pickup.. I do like him.. He's a Memphis guy.. He's tough as nails too.

We didn't get enough for Martin though.. And I don't really want anyone on the Knicks team..

Petrie blows chunks.

L

LWP777

Wow... just wow... So we get a "big" that cannot board to save his life unless it's a putback offensively. I don't really like Landry's game much.. I don't think he fits here. He can play D, but ehhh... I am tired of undersized big men.

Dorsey is a nice pickup.. I do like him.. He's a Memphis guy.. He's tough as nails too.

We didn't get enough for Martin though.. And I don't really want anyone on the Knicks team..

Petrie blows chunks.
Trust me Gary. You will end up LOVING Landry. Think Brockman's energy and toughness but with an inside game, athleticism and good FT shooting. Also, tomorrow will bring another young big AND some draft picks. This deal is A++++

Petrie blows chunks.
you are just never happy

Petrie blows chunks.
You are absolutely wrong. We got as much as we could for Martin. You thinking Kevin Martin is worth more doesn't mean people who matter believe that. Quit over valuing him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Petrie blows chunks.
You really are never happy with anything Petrie does are you? He got rid of Martin, who, let's admit it, just wasn't fitting our team anymore and got a massive expiring and a couple of young bigs (which I'm pretty sure we were all clamoring for) in return.

I swear he could probably find a way to get LeBron and Dwight Howard and there'd be people angry that he gave up a 2020 second round pick to do it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Landry is interesting, but the potential with NY is even better. Hill is very interesting (partially because I'm a longtime Arizona fan) and Knicks picks could be fantastic if they fail to land a big time free agent.

While I was hoping for a big time big it was becoming clear that wasn't in the cards. The next thing we could hope for was some promising young guys plus picks and it looks like we will get that. Houston will be a good fit for Kevin and while I was never as sweet on him as many fans were I am happy he can go to a decent team with a good coach.

I look forward to seeing the final details and the new team in action.

What is interesting is that though NY is the team being mentioned in regards to moving McGrady, we essentially become the broker for that 23 million coming off the books.

It's possible that another team outside the Knicks might offer us a package which works for the Kings but didn't work for the Rockets.

As mentioned, I'm OK with a trade with NY provided that picks are involved. But it's very possible that another team could come and offer us a more attractive package for McGrady.

And if we do end up keeping McGrady and we don't make waves in free-agency, then we'll have a lot of capspace available to facilitate trades in return for getting goodies though-out all next year.

You really are never happy with anything Petrie does are you? He got rid of Martin, who, let's admit it, just wasn't fitting our team anymore and got a massive expiring and a couple of young bigs (which I'm pretty sure we were all clamoring for) in return.

I swear he could probably find a way to get LeBron and Dwight Howard and there'd be people angry that he gave up a 2020 second round pick to do it.
He better not give away the 2020 second round pick for those scrubs! :D

If you look at this as a straight up trade...you HAVE to think that the Kings could have gotten more for Kevin. I really like Carl Landry but he isn't fair compensation on his own. It seems like the trade was really made for getting under the cap.

HOWEVER...if the Kings can somehow swing a deal with the Knicks and pick up a few young players and some future picks, then the deal makes sense. But PLEASE PLEASE don't take on the monster contract of Jared Jeffries.

What is interesting is that though NY is the team being mentioned in regards to moving McGrady, we essentially become the broker for that 23 million coming off the books.

It's possible that another team outside the Knicks might offer us a package which works for the Kings but didn't work for the Rockets.

As mentioned, I'm OK with a trade with NY provided that picks are involved. But it's very possible that another team could come and offer us a more attractive package for McGrady.

And if we do end up keeping McGrady and we don't make waves in free-agency, then we'll have a lot of capspace available to facilitate trades in return for getting goodies though-out all next year.
The problem with the NY picks is that they'll be from 2011 or 2012. If NY's master plan works and they end up with LBJ, Wade, Bosh, whoever or a combination of them, the picks would end up being late 1st rounders.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The problem with the NY picks is that they'll be from 2011 or 2012. If NY's master plan works and they end up with LBJ, Wade, Bosh, whoever or a combination of them, the picks would end up being late 1st rounders.
It is the Knicks though. They'll probably end up signing Brad Miller to a max contract instead.

Nothing against Landry personally.. I like Martin.. I wanted things to work out with he and Evans more than probably anyone here..

But what did I say when we drafted Evans? I said that Martin will have to be traded because they won't be able to play together.. Am I right or am I right? At least give me that. As for the Rubio jab, quit crying.. I haven't said anything about bringing him here since August so I have no idea why the trolls keep mentioning that.

We got an undersized very athletic PF that's good on the O boards + putbacks.. He's good defensively, but is a bit lacking in the positioning for the rebounds. Tends to take off a bit early from what I have watched (which wasn't a ton of games although I have league pass).. Houston just didn't do it for me as a team to watch a lot of.

So what will Landry do in Sac?

He is a much better fit than Martin is.. He will be great at cleaning up what Evans misses inside... I predict the 2 man game will be fun to watch between Evans, and Landry.. Will it make the Kings better? Probably... Better as in something to build around? hmmmmmm.. I still want Cousins.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You are assuming a lot in that it will work.

Now I figure we just get Memphis involved, who wanted Sergio as a backup PG, swing Hill and Beno their way for Thabeet /+ contract filler, or Hill and Sergio or whatever if the Rokets are ok with it, and we had a real good day. :p

If you look at this as a straight up trade...you HAVE to think that the Kings could have gotten more for Kevin. I really like Carl Landry but he isn't fair compensation on his own. It seems like the trade was really made for getting under the cap.

HOWEVER...if the Kings can somehow swing a deal with the Knicks and pick up a few young players and some future picks, then the deal makes sense. But PLEASE PLEASE don't take on the monster contract of Jared Jeffries.
Hmm while the contract of Jeffries is cause for concern I think sometimes we have to realise that we can't always get a trade that works for us in all aspects. That only happens to the Lakers. Thing is we get a couple of picks, a pretty good "big", a prospect big and clear up a bit of the logjam at the wing positions. I for one think that the trade is acceptable.

I absolutely love Landry's game. Non-stop hustle. He goes up strong! He is one of the top 6th men in the league. Also, hopefully we can ship Mcgrady off before the deadline. I don't want the drama of whether we will or will not play him going on all season! If we can't ship him off I suppose it couldn't hurt that much (given our record) to see if the guy has some stuff. Not that he'd re-sign with us anyways.

L

LWP777

If we got both of NY's picks in 2011 and 2012 I don't care if they are late first rounders, it would still be a great deal for us.

In my mind the worst case scenario is that we keep McGrady. And even that situation could turn out well provided that Geoff doesn't overspend on a FA. And if we keep our payroll down we could facilitate trades next year.

The middling scenario would be to make the trade with NY. As you mentioned, it's a bit of a risk regarding NY's picks, and it's the picks in my opinion which would ultimately bear out whether it was a good trade. The Ron Artest trade was a massive success as we got both Donte and Casspi out of it.
But NY might not land any superstars. And if they don't, then you know any picks from there will turn out to be good.

And being the optimist, the best scenario would be to have a team other than the Knicks offer the Kings a better package. You'd imagine that all the teams which initially contacted the Rockets in regards to McGrady's contract will now be contacting the Kings to see if they can offer an attractive package. Geoff is going to be very, very busy and if we're lucky he'll put together a trade to continue to improve this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.