Kevin martin traded to rockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if Brick is the one who said this before but trading a small for a big is always good.

We get a 26 year old pf that can play D and was the second leading scorer on the rockets team. I didnt think he was available but thank god we got something like this for him.

I like Landry a lot, I think he's gonna be a nice pickup for us because he lives in the paint offensively and defensively I think he's a perfect fit for our new look kings and frankly im happy to get Kmart outta here.
If Petrie can swing Tmac for the Knicks first rd pick he will be elevated to god status!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I like this trade...so far. First off, I want to thank Kevin for everything he has done for this franchise. It's unfortunate, but he just didn't fit with the direction this team is going. Not his fault, just the way it is. I'm glad he's getting the opportunity to go to a playoff caliber team, and a team with a coach and a system he should fit perfectly into. It will be fun to watch a backcourt of Brooks and Martin, with Ariza, Scola, and Yao(next year). I really think this will work out well for Kev and the rockets.

Landry is a great pickup for us. Dorsey is a little like Brockman, but more athletic. Good rebounder in limited minutes. We have to see what happens with TMac. I doubt he ever suits up for us. Maybe he goes to NY? Maybe we buy him out? But the options of either getting young talent from NY, or maybe someone else, because I bet Petrie is getting more than a few phone calls right now, or letting all that money come off the books this summer is exciting. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

This creates more playing time for Donte and Omri, as long as coach keeps Noc and Ime on the bench. But I like a 3 man rotation of Omri, Donte, and Cisco(when healthy) at the sg and sf. Others moves are obviously coming, and I really like how this is playing out so far. I'm kinda shocked this is hapenning, given I didn't think anything would happen a few hours ago, and now a third of our roster is gone.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
1) Well, at least all the complaining about KMart ought to stop.

2) If we don't end up with about 2-3 first rounders out of this, I'm going to be disappointed. It's not like Landry is going to help out our defense any, and his rebounding rate has been dropping like a stone since his rookie year.

3) If the rumors that we might include T-Mac for the same package the Knicks were offering Houston (something like Hill, Jeffries, Hughes + a pick), presumably we'd have to send Dorsey (or Brockman or Udoka) along as well because we wouldn't have the roster spots. (5 in: Hill, Jeffries, Hughes, Landry, Dorsey; 4 out: Martin, KT, Sergio, Hilton) I'm not sold on Hill, but I guess Hill, Landry, a Houston pick and a future NY pick wouldn't be a disaster. Though we don't save much money for next season here, with Jeffries and Hill at like $9.5M together. That gets me closer back to "ugh" territory.

Last edited:
I love this. Welcome, Mandry!

Why do the Knicks want McGrady so badly? Especially right now? Can't they just sign him in the offseason without giving up a pick?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I love this. Welcome, Mandry!

Why do the Knicks want McGrady so badly? Especially right now? Can't they just sign him in the offseason without giving up a pick?
They want to swap some of their longer term deals for TMac ender so they can have even more caproom this summer to go Lebron hunting.

If Kings move TMac to NY, it would be 4 same package Knicks were offering Houston: Jeffries, Hill, Hughes, picks.

32 minutes ago from web
David Aldridge

http://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/9274451200

Twitter has really changed the new media, true up to the minute updates! KMart and Tmac are even Trending Topics!

Sam Amick via twitter

# Sounding like McGrady goes to NY in morning. Third team involvement clouds final destinations.
11 minutes ago

Sergio Rodriguez and Kenny Thomas have no idea where they're going. Just talked to both

Last edited:
I dont know if Brick is the one who said this before but trading a small for a big is always good.

We get a 26 year old pf that can play D and was the second leading scorer on the rockets team. I didnt think he was available but thank god we got him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PLEASE, Dave. Tell me McGrady won't actually ever step foot on the court of Arco in a Kings uniform!!!!!

I don't like the fact that we couldn't shed either Nocioni or Beno in this deal. Thats what sucks here!

Happy to trade away Martin but c'mon we are practically trading Martin and expirings for a big expiring and a nice but undersized contributor in Landry.
+1

if we keep the expiring, what allstar is going to want to come to sacramento, if we trade him to the knicks, im hoping for more than hill, a pick and jeffries. i personally didnt want hill anywhere near us during the draft. but if we can somehow get david lee, the pick, and not have to take on a terrible contract...:D

So let me get this straight. If NY gets involved do we still get landry ad Tmac and then turn Tmac to the knicks for the players mentioned? I don't want jeffries and the knicks garbage expiring or not. I want landry. Someone clear this up for me please

I had hoped to get more than expirings for Kmart but was content if that were to happen. However, if we were going to trade him for one of the larger contracts (McGrady/Allen) I wanted to see one of our other longer contracts go with it.

I'm not a huge fan of seeing KT being included. I guess we'll see how everything plays itself out and if any other things take place with NY.

With all that said, I do wish Kevin the best of luck. He's handled himself wonderfully this year. And this just gives me more incentive to continue to root for the Rockets.

This looks like a good deal, Landry is a great addition to the Kings. I hope we keep McGrady, let his contract expire and then bid for Bosh in the summer.

rockets fans are VASTLY overrating carl landry, most seem upset because he was a fan favorite, they think that landry for martin straight up is a ripoff, what a bunch of morons

If T-mac gets traded to the knicks Petrie will be looking good. According to David Aldridge, what the kings will be geting in the T-mac deal to New York will be similar to the deal the kincks were offering the Rockets. In other words, along with landry the kings will be getting Jeffries, Hughes, Hill, and as many as two future first round picks. Although Jeffries contract is a drawback, receving an expiring contact in Hughes, two young bigs in Landry and Hill and maybe 2 first round draft picks is quite a haul. Petrie might come out of this looking like a bandit.

By the way here is the link from David Aldridge: http://twitter.com/daldridgetnt

If we are not getting at least another young big and 2 first round picks. I would to see the Kings keep T-Mac, let him play a few Kings game at let him go after the trade deadline.

That's gonna be spoiler to a lot of teams esp. NY. :D

Then Kings should play in the big FA market in off season.

With Reke already winning MVP for Rook/Sophomore game and probably bagging home the ROTY, he would get good attention from those big names like Chris Bosh and Amare. Plus we might be getting another quality big in this draft with the looks of our current standing.

And I don't think somebody has commented on this. But we are slowly molding this team with a core of young guys that plays defense and are tough as nails. Brockman, Reke, Casspi, Greene, Cisco, Noc, and now Dorsey and Landry!!!

What an overhaul, Geoff!!!!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So let me get this straight. If NY gets involved do we still get landry ad Tmac and then turn Tmac to the knicks for the players mentioned? I don't want jeffries and the knicks garbage expiring or not. I want landry. Someone clear this up for me please
You are correct. We would still get Landry.

Wow, big news. It will be interesting to see how Landry's defense is up close and personal over a long stretch of games. His rebounding is unimpressive, however. I'll be honest, he's not tall super-defender kind of big we would get in a Martin trade, but the value is pretty fair.

So, assuming we keep (or buy out T-mac), are we officially 22 million under the cap this off season? I doubt we land a true superstar (would be nice), but that's a lot of money we can spend plugging holes in our roster.

I guess that after this trade, my biggest concern going forward is that, of our most talented front court guys (Thompson, Hawes, Landry), none are big time defenders or shot blockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.