What about a Sean May to Portland deal?

Portland needs bodies in the paint... the Kings have a spare one in Sean May who wants Playing Time... why not try to move him to Portland for a 2nd round pick or something. He can be traded, on paper, for:

Jeff Pendergraph PF (2 years left)
Patrick Mills PG (ender, currently in D-League)
Nick Batum SF (2 Years left)
Dante Cunnigham SF (1 Year Left)
Juwan Howard PF (Ender)
Rudy Fernandez SG (2 years left)

Seems like they would not want to lose most of these guys and likely the Kings would not want most of these guys, but maybe trade May for Mills + 2nd round pick? Why not? Well, I guess the reason why not is that would put the Kings as helping a team that will be competing for a playoff spot with; and the Kings don't really need another PG... but rental of a prospect and a 2nd round pick for Sean May would not be terrible; unless he be traded elsewhere as an ender, of course.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5386279

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I guess my question would be why bother? There just doesn't seem to be a real reason to do the deal IMO.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Patty Mills isn't in the d-league anymore. He's had a few very impressive games for them. No way they trade Mills for May. I really like Fernandez as a spark off the bench, but again, no way portland gives him up for May.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I can't see them doing it. Definitely not for Rudy, Batum or Juwan, who is actually seen as a locker room leader, and I don't think we'd want to take on a longer contract so I'm not sure why we'd do it except for Mills, who there actually is some hope for. I believe he has been battling injuries all season which is why he is in the D-League. Nice thought, but surely they could get someone comparable to May off the available free agent pool?

Patty Mills isn't in the d-league anymore. He's had a few very impressive games for them. No way they trade Mills for May. I really like Fernandez as a spark off the bench, but again, no way portland gives him up for May.
mills was sent back to the d league for a second stint. may for mills would be great! they need some kind of a big man. i wouldnt necessarily want pendergraph, but... I WANT PATTY MILLS!!!

From the Kings side:
-Get rid of May (unless there are plans to trade Hilton and ot Thomas or something, May isn't playing)
- Mills makes less $$
- Get a second round pick (maybe)
- Mills is a prospect the Kings have not already given up on (See May, Sean for prospects the Kings have given up on)

From the Portland side:
- Get a bench big without adding to salary too much
- Get a prospect the Blazers have not given up on already (See Mills, Patty for prospects the Blazers have given up on)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't believe the Blazers have actually given up on Mills, I think all their injuries have forced them to be creative with their roster and so they were able to send Mills down and open a spot.

Can't we just cut May? I thought his contract wasn't guaranteed, though maybe it was after a roster deadline which may have passed.

L

LWP777

May has no value whatsoever unless he's a throw in on another trade to make the salaries match up. There is no way any NBA team would give up anything for him.

I don't believe the Blazers have actually given up on Mills, I think all their injuries have forced them to be creative with their roster and so they were able to send Mills down and open a spot.

Can't we just cut May? I thought his contract wasn't guaranteed, though maybe it was after a roster deadline which may have passed.
:confused: You can't open a roster spot by sending a team member (contracted) to the D-League. They are still on your roster.

We've got bigger fish to fry. it's not worth noodling around with our 15th roster spot.

If it gets to the day of the deadline I suppose May for a 2nd would be a "why not?" sort of deal. But until then he's a possible throw in for a deal if we need to add more bodies or need a little bit more salary to make something work.

We've got bigger fish to fry. it's not worth noodling around with our 15th roster spot.

If it gets to the day of the deadline I suppose May for a 2nd would be a "why not?" sort of deal. But until then he's a possible throw in for a deal if we need to add more bodies or need a little bit more salary to make something work.
Word to that.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
:confused: You can't open a roster spot by sending a team member (contracted) to the D-League. They are still on your roster.
I thought they came off the 15... No? Ok, then I'd submit that as even greater evidence that they aren't giving up on him due to their overwhelming roster needs right now. I know that they were down to 8 active players at one point though a few have come back.

May shoudn't be traded because we might need him for a larger trade like CB4. toronto will want at least 3 bigs and a 1st round pick for him, the problem is, we aren't in the playoffs, and CB4 would likely CB dash after the season, unless the teams with cap, don't make him that MAX offer he expects. ALOT of this is math and positioning. I wouldn't be against getting CB4 for a half season and make the playoffs, because im not sure Miami will be able to convince Dwade to wait untill the Bosh scenario plays out to re-sign. Bosh will take his sweet time with all the teams that can afford him. He will be courted by the knicks, Miami, Memphis, Chicago, NJersey, and every NBA team will be proposing a sign-n-trade like that rumor of CB4 for Bynum. Oden will be made available, this summer will be NUTS.