Basketball - European championship 2009.

Milos Teodosic repeated what Bodiroga did in Indianapolis in 2002.! What a game.Guy is definitely NBA potential! 24 points in last 13 minutes.
Congrats to my team, not many people believed, but I am happy to say that I did.
Congrats to Slovenia, I couldn't believe how good they were playing, since they had tough overtime game with Turkey 24 hours ago.

Spain is terrific, but if Serbian players leave their heart on the court, everything is possible!

piksi

Hall of Famer
A thriller in the semifinals, one point separating Slo and Ser 5 minutes to go. God I am nervous. I wish Beno was on the court (yes you heard me right).
You miss Beno, Sasha, Smodis, Dragic

We don't have Stojakovic, Radmanovic, Milicic, Jaric, Rakocevic, Pavlovic, Vujanic and this time because we don't need them anymore. Team before stars = success.

I will definitely support Serbia in the final.

1. I do not like Spain (team, of course; country is fine :))
2. I have very close Russian friends in Canada, so I am more connected to the Slavic world.

So, Go Serbia !!! ;)

You miss Beno, Sasha, Smodis, Dragic

We don't have Stojakovic, Radmanovic, Milicic, Jaric, Rakocevic, Pavlovic, Vujanic and this time because we don't need them anymore. Team before stars = success.
We miss Beno because he was on the NT team but got injured days prior to the championship. Even more so because Goran Dragić, another PG got injured in the EU championship. So we played with only one PG.

As of who we don't have playing this year (either injuries, tiredness or "stardom effect"*): Nesterović, Bečirović, Beno Udrih, Saša Vujačić*, Matjaž Smodiš, Prelđić, .... Almost the starting five.

Nevertheless. This is not an excuse. Just a thing to look forward in the next world championships.

milos is good, played phenomenal but he's going to have to do that more than once to be annointed the next Bodiroga... great great game but let's not replace a legend just that fast guys :)

*side note---- what a terrible foul call towards the end when the slovenian player grabbed the rebound on the baseline - was violet palmer calling the game or what?

That was probably compensation, because 2 minutes before that, refs called flagrant foul on one Slovenian player. Both fouls were good acting:)

Congrats to Spain. It would be kind of unfair if Gasol retired without European gold medal.
Spain is better team, but not +20 better. Our players were obviously emotionally exausted after last night and huge victory against Slovenia, so they didn't show their real face.
I can't wait to see what is going to happen next year in Turkey when we get to play against USA and Argentina. This team need Rakocevic and Peja. With them and these young guys, we can finish on the top again.

We are the champions!!!
Spain have the best european player and the best team.

Congratulations to Serbia! I think that they will win a European Championship in the next years...

piksi

Hall of Famer
We are the champions!!!
Spain have the best european player and the best team.

Congratulations to Serbia! I think that they will win a European Championship in the next years...

Spain doesn't have the best European player but it has many excellent players and a great team.

Great championship.

I can't wait to see Serbia in 2/4 years, I think they're going to win everything, at least in Europe. It's a pity they seemed so exhausted yesterday, I'd prefered a more equilibrated final.

The interesting question is who is the best European of all time?? Petrovic? Belov? Sabonis? Gallis?
Petrovic with the eyes closed, for me.

My five cents:

1 row: Petrović

2 row: Galis, Sabonis (in the case of should have, could have; read no ijuries, he would go head to head with Petrović), Nowitzki, Bodiroga.

3 row: Kukoč, Radja, Divac, Djordjević, P. Gasol, Parker....

Disclaimer :): I have not included the "oldtimers" as I am not old enough to have injoyed their careers (Belov, Korač, Daneu...).

I wouldn't include Parker. If you include him, you should include Peja for example. Peja won European and World championship titles in 2001. and 2002. and was the MVP in 2001. He didn't win NBA title yet, but has better numbers than Tony I think...
Anyway, I don't see any of them in TOP 10 European players ever. In TOP 20 yes.

I wouldn't include Parker. If you include him, you should include Peja for example. Peja won European and World championship titles in 2001. and 2002. and was the MVP in 2001. He didn't win NBA title yet, but has better numbers than Tony I think...
Anyway, I don't see any of them in TOP 10 European players ever. In TOP 20 yes.
Pedja is definitely in. In the 3rd row. And I am sure I forgot a name or two... And Parker does deserve the spot. He was incremental part of winning those titles. Something none of the euros can claim (sans Pau but that was his one and only). And if I go a step further, it would be more likely that the Lakers (I just spat on the floor) won this year championship than SA winning without Parker.

IMO Sabonis is the best ... unfortunately, his career was slowed down by ocean of injuries and it is sad that most people in North America never seen a real Arvidas.
My dad thinks that Sergei Belov is the best one and he said that in 1991 he was named the best European player of all time by FIBA (I actually missed that) .... but I was born in the late seventies and Sabonis was a god in that time.

Obviously, Petrovic was also "slowed down" by we know what. So, these two (Sabonis and Petrovic) are the best for me and as I said, Arvidas is probably #1. He was a joy to watch!

3 row: Kukoč, Radja, Divac, Djordjević, P. Gasol, Parker....
!!

Djordjevic was incredible, too. He really had balls. His 3 years in Barcelona and his first year in Real Madrid were absolutely incredible. I don't know why the Blazers didn't retained him, he could have been a top 5 PG in the NBA, easily. Do you know why he last only a few months there?

Mito, I thought your coach is going to get a heart attack tonight when Hedo missed that shot in the end:) A guy was sooo pissed.
You had 9 second and the ball and Arslan took a shot from 9 meters. Why?!

Anyway, I don't see Greece in the final. Spain is already there if they continue to play so good.
Why? that is the question I am asking myself, why?
easy lay up, score 2, overtime, that is a different ballgame, win or loose but you have 5 minutes
why risk with a 3 by a player who just played a couple of minutes and still cold? I don't know.

ps: if tanyevich (coach) has a heart attack, believe me a lot of people in turkey will be releived with a sigh, including me. last 4-5 years, this coach is killing us. there is nothing to argue about his career, basketball knowledge etc, but I think it is over him.
do you know that our best 2 centers are not even in the team, okur from jazz, and kaya peker who played for tau ceramica 2 years ago and efes last year (turkish champions 2008-2009). official explanations from the federations states that both players asked not to be in the NT. But I watched an interview with Okur and it is not the case.