Ariza to the rockets

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Let's see how he does without the benefit of Bryant, Gasol and Odom to make him look decent.

Kind of like he looked in New York, I'd expect.

Dumb move by Ariza.

Assuming the Rockets can only pay him the MLE, why would he want to go to a team that might go to the lottery if Yao doesn't play?

If he went to the Cavs, instantly back with a championship contender,

WIth the Rox he becomes either the man or close to the man instead of being the third banana in Cleveland. If I were Trevor I would have gone to SA, Boston or Cleveland. Actually I would have stayed with LA.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In all honesty, I suspect hurt feelings might have led him to quickly sign with the team Artest had just left... I, too, think he would have been better in Cleveland but we'll have to wait and see.

kind of made you wish we could have taken two first round draft picks from them rather than donte and bjax ;)
i know huh? we have the worst record in what some would call one of the weakest draft classes. and in that draft, we get the rockets pick when they get in the playoffs instead of the year Yao is out. everything is happening a year too soon or a year too late :(

Can't fault Ariza for going where he can get paid and get minutes. He's always been a backup, now he can prove himself. I think it was a good choice.

Ariza to me is a systems player--he'll be highly effective as a "submarine" sort of player when defenses are drawn to other players, but he lacks the leadership skills (he's quiet) and certain ball skills to really be a main player in this league. He's a valuable cog player, but for a team that might not even be in the playoffs (they're essentially losing their big three) I think he might really struggle if asked to take a bigger role. He's a hard worker, but a bit mechanical in terms of his offense, so I'm not sure if he'll get any better than this--even if he still has that youthful potential. He actually had an athletic Shane Battier like role with the Lakers, so I suspect VF21's assertion of his sudden signing with the Rockets to be correct.

Can't fault Ariza for going where he can get paid and get minutes. He's always been a backup, now he can prove himself. I think it was a good choice.

He took the same amount (MLE) he would have got from the Lakers...and he was a starter with Odom coming off the bench.

He took the same amount (MLE) he would have got from the Lakers...and he was a starter with Odom coming off the bench.
Well, he was in the postseason but he only started 19 games in the regular season. And with Artest coming in there's no way he would have been the starter.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Oddness -- the Lakers mess with their winning formula by signing Artest, and then the Rockets turn around and sign a classic roleplayer now that they no longer have the stars to put him around.

Well, he was in the postseason but he only started 19 games in the regular season. And with Artest coming in there's no way he would have been the starter.
i think with artest going to the lakers, ariza wouldnt have been resigned anyways. i keep reading that he might have left partly cuz how they were treating him, saying they wanted to keep him but didnt even make an offer. in interviews ariza always said he wanted to go to a team that wanted him, lakers "said" they did, but actions speak louder than words.

i think with artest going to the lakers, ariza wouldnt have been resigned anyways. i keep reading that he might have left partly cuz how they were treating him, saying they wanted to keep him but didnt even make an offer. in interviews ariza always said he wanted to go to a team that wanted him, lakers "said" they did, but actions speak louder than words.
I think that was David Lee trying to cover his a** in the negotiations. He wanted waaay more money than the MLE that was offered...ended up getting the same pay from Houston that he could have got with the defending champions. Lee also said they turned down and offer from "another" team for 9 million...yeah, riiiight. :rolleyes:

I think a few people here are underrating the Rockets that team is too well constructed to completely tank. They might now have serious problems to manufacture points, but their defense won't be much worse than last year and they'll get by. I think they'll still get a seed in the playoffs.

I think that was David Lee trying to cover his a** in the negotiations. He wanted waaay more money than the MLE that was offered...ended up getting the same pay from Houston that he could have got with the defending champions. Lee also said they turned down and offer from "another" team for 9 million...yeah, riiiight. :rolleyes:
No doubt about it. Kupchak offered to let them see what they could get on the market and that pipsqueak thought he was going to force the Lakers to cave by hitting the media, as if the Lakers haven't been around for a few years... He just got taught a lesson. A guy asked for his pic on another site and someone jokingly posted a pick of David Lee Roth. Their screwups are actually a good comparison. One left LA at its peak, the other left Van Halen its peak.

To my recollection, AC Green in 93 and Ho Grant in 01 were the only starting FAs that we wanted to keep, but failed to re-sign in that entire span. Doesn't happen that often here. So, it's safe to say that in order to lose a spring chicken like Trevor, a lot of things have to go wrong. Idiot agent, bad contracts for Luke/Sasha, bad economy, and an unusual chance at a talented/schizo replacement conspired against Trev. Even if we got a more talented overall player to replace him, it really irritates me that Ariza is out. He has some special attributes as a supplementary player on a championship contender. His thievery in the open court all year reminded me of Eddie Jones and he started to hit open threes like Horry, had the type of playoffs at the arc that Fish did in 01. I hope stays healthy and gets that payday some day.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I suspect hurt feelings might have led him to quickly sign with the team Artest had just left... I, too, think he would have been better in Cleveland but we'll have to wait and see.
FAs want to know if there's any way they can move Cleveland to Southern Florida.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Arize definately had an inflated sense of his true value. Well, either he or his agent did. No way he is worth more the the MLE, and I think he will struggle a little bit without kobe/gasol/odem. He is a good defender, how good remains to be seen since he was also surrounded by good defenders, and can hit the open 3. IMO, he is a good role player at this point. He should improve with increased responsibility and he is still pretty young, but there is no way he was worth the 7-10M his agent was looking for.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Professional sports agents make lawyers look like Little Bo Peep. Maybe Trevor can sit down sometime and have a long talk with Bonzi Wells about what listening to your agent's bad advice can do for your career.

Ariza to me is a systems player--he'll be highly effective as a "submarine" sort of player when defenses are drawn to other players, but he lacks the leadership skills (he's quiet) and certain ball skills to really be a main player in this league. He's a valuable cog player, but for a team that might not even be in the playoffs (they're essentially losing their big three) I think he might really struggle if asked to take a bigger role. He's a hard worker, but a bit mechanical in terms of his offense, so I'm not sure if he'll get any better than this--even if he still has that youthful potential. He actually had an athletic Shane Battier like role with the Lakers, so I suspect VF21's assertion of his sudden signing with the Rockets to be correct.
word is role player in phil jackson's system, he's not different than Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, and Devin George

hes actually almost the same as Devin George -- play D and hit the three when your open

word is role player in phil jackson's system, he's not different than Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, and Devin George

hes actually almost the same as Devin George -- play D and hit the three when your open
OOOOOOoooooUUUUuuhhhhhhhfllffflfaljfa;kdfjd;fj....

The main difference between TA and DG as I see it is that TA hurts the opponent, not his own team.

Devean was one of Logo's Div III MegaMillions longshots. Sad waste of an NBA physique.

Arize definately had an inflated sense of his true value. Well, either he or his agent did. No way he is worth more the the MLE
He would have gotten over MLE if not for Kupchak's final stupid habit of doling out money to poor talent (George, Kwame, Walton, Sasha) just because the money is there. I wouldn't doubt Ariza getting 7 million per if there was more prudence shown in the last 5 years w/ the payroll. Sasha was given MLE type numbers last year. That's STILL a big mistake even with Artest saying yes because they now have to go way into the LT to re-sign Odom and Shannon Brown. Sasha's contract alone woulda been a "colossal goat bleep in the desert" if Artest didn't spread eagle himself for the ol LA discount. If they lose Brown, there goes half of the reason he traded Vlad to Charlotte and what's left over is Morrison's skunk spray contract. Kupchak is trying to offload Farmar's 1.9 for any measure of relief to Buss' wallet.

A

AriesMar27

i wonder what they will do with odom? will he take a pay cut to play with his best friend ron? i doubt it will be a huge one, no way he takes a mle level contract to stay in la. he might as well go to orlando and be a starter.

i wonder what they will do with odom? will he take a pay cut to play with his best friend ron? i doubt it will be a huge one, no way he takes a mle level contract to stay in la. he might as well go to orlando and be a starter.
Now that's an interesting thought. Magic lost Hedo and got Odom as his replacement.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I could be totally wrong, but didn't Odom already take some kind of reduction in pay for the good of the team?

A

AriesMar27

nope, he hasnt signed or agreed to a contract yet... and whatever they pay him you can double with luxury tax... there is no way that they pay odom 6-8 mill to come off the bench when it will cost them 12-16 million.... have you seen the lakers payroll? kobe, pau and bynum alone eats up 40 million alone in salary.... odom will probably be offered a mle type deal, in their eyes they are paying him 10 million because it costs them 10 million to keep him at that price. he should just go to orlando or cleveland for the mle and be a starter....

gunks

Hall of Famer
Poor Rick...He has a team full of roleplayers and not even an allstar.

And yet he'll still somehow sniff 50 wins.