How do you feel about picking Evans?

How do you feel about us picking Tyreke Evans?

• Total voters
Yeah that is true that peopel have watched him in the olympics and can you tell me what his numbers were? They were not that great.

Tyreke was hte leader of his team as a freshman and proved he can learn quickly. He can handle the ball just as well as Rubio but probably cant pass as well. I would rather take atheletism, size, ability to get to rim, and wing span over passing and IQ ability.
First, Evans isn't that atheletic. He's not a jump out of the gym type player. I bet Rubio beats him down the court dribbling, especially if you put out cones. Lets see Evans go behind his back or between his legs in traffic and not miss a beat.

Second they have the same height and Evans wing span is only 2 inches longer per hand than Rubio. Rubios wing span is still better than the PG's. Evans has him beat on strength and weight.

Tyreake isn't as athletic as you may think he is. He's not Dwade athletic or Kobe athletic. Rubio also has size for PG. He plays defense as well. Evans is probably a better finisher, but Rubio can get to the FT line as well.

Evans has more muscle and general body size.
Evans is pretty athletic acutally if you add his wing span and size to it. Evans also has size for a PG. He is just as tall as Rubio. Rubio can not play defense other than cheaitng on passing lanes. Evans actually has the toughness to play defense.

If you think Rubio can get to the FT line, you probably have not watched Rubio play.

My head knows Evans is the better pick.
It's just that my heart has been with Rubio for a while.

Yeah... thats exactly why many people are mad or disappointed. I know most won't admit it, but many people wants Ricky because he is the higher profile pick. The pick that makes the Kings talked about more in the media.

But I really doubt the people that wants Rubio so bad knows enough about him to justify it. Other than an olympic game, youtube highlights and maybe, maybe a few games from his Spain league.... how much have u guys seen of this guy?

Rubio's positive qualities are mostly just assumed and perceived. What I mean is (leadership, court vision etc) can't really be measured. Frankly, no one has really seen him prove that on a court because you can't really tell just from highlights of his best plays.

Evans on the other hand, has the qualities that you can actually measure. Speed, strength, height, handles, ability to beat guys off the dribble and finish at the basket. Better shooter than Rubio at this point. These are actual things u can measure. The supposed weakness as a passer.... well have we seen him try to play point in the NBA yet? If not why are some of u labeling him that? His assist in Memphis was very good and his team won with him playing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rubio as well and was hoping for either Evans or Rubio at #4. But please, Rubio hasn't proved anything to warrant all this hatred towards picking Evans over him.

Last edited:
First, Evans isn't that atheletic. He's not a jump out of the gym type player. I bet Rubio beats him down the court dribbling, especially if you put out cones. Lets see Evans go behind his back or between his legs in traffic and not miss a beat.

Second they have the same height and Evans wing span is only 2 inches longer per hand than Rubio. Rubios wing span is still better than the PG's. Evans has him beat on strength and weight.
Evans is decently atheltic when you add his size and wing span to his resume. Rubio is defintely not faster than Evans. Evans is actually a decent ball handler as well.

In the NBA, you do not need to use the skill of behind the back or between the legs passing skills. Rubio has shown he is turnover prone as well.

I dont know how you got the wing span of Rbuio but I do know Evans wing span is 7 feet long which can reach to the streets.

You're acting like Evans can't handle the ball well. You haven't watched him play enough. He LEAD his team to being 27-1 as the PG. You don't do that unless you can handle the ball. And he can go behind his back just like Rubio can, and even though his vert isn't amazing it's 34 inches and it's probably 4-6 inches higher than Rubio's. Sorry but the only place Rubio outclasses Tyreke is in the passing department, and it's not going to be as far apart if Rubio ever actually plays in the NBA and can't get by guys in the halfcourt and doesn't demand double teams.

Evans is pretty athletic acutally if you add his wing span and size to it. Evans also has size for a PG. He is just as tall as Rubio. Rubio can not play defense other than cheaitng on passing lanes. Evans actually has the toughness to play defense.

If you think Rubio can get to the FT line, you probably have not watched Rubio play.
So Rubio got defensive player of the year for just jumping passing lanes?

You're acting like Evans can't handle the ball well. You haven't watched him play enough. He LEAD his team to being 27-1 as the PG. You don't do that unless you can handle the ball. And he can go behind his back just like Rubio can, and even though his vert isn't amazing it's 34 inches and it's probably 4-6 inches higher than Rubio's. Sorry but the only place Rubio outclasses Tyreke is in the passing department, and it's not going to be as far apart if Rubio ever actually plays in the NBA and can't get by guys in the halfcourt and doesn't demand double teams.
And basically Evans ran the break and did ISO's. They didn't run a half court offense. That really sounds like fun to watch. :rolleyes:

So Rubio got defensive player of the year for just jumping passing lanes?

Again, I like Rubio also. But considering Rubio was the money maker for that league.... I don't think it was FULLY deserving. Did he get a lot of steals? Yes.. But I mean... he only played an average of 20 some mins a game. Can you imagine a player in the NBA that only plays 20 some mins a game and win the Defensive Player of the Year award?

Really? Are you expecting other PG's to post him up or something? It's not like other pg's out there are very strong either.
Here is a list of stronger starting PGs in the NBA that can muscle him up:

Deron Williams, cahuncy Billups, Jason Kidd, raymond felton, fisher, jameer nelson, baron davis, devin harris, stuckey, derrick rose, westbrook, a miller, wade somtimes

my point is many Point guards like to muscle themselves in the paint to penetrate the basketball

???
isn't he about the same weight (give or take a few lbs) as devin harris, cp3, or rondo. last i checked they didnt do to shabby in the league considering their weight.
You just named a bunch of super fast players. Rubio doesnt even have the atheltism to defend them. His strength and skinny size doesnt help him defend either.

L

Lafayette

Rubio wasn't going to make this team better this year or the next, Tyreke will make an impact. You have to realize that Rubio while a pure PG isn't what we need. You wait and see, BENO baby, that's the name your going to love.

Rubio wasn't going to make this team better this year or the next, Tyreke will make an impact. You have to realize that Rubio while a pure PG isn't what we need. You wait and see, BENO baby, that's the name your going to love.
Wait, what? We needed a PG unless you think Beno (who is arguable the worst starting PG in the league) is going to get WAY better this year..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Evans CAN play the point, Gary.

EDIT: From a press release the Kings sent out earlier tonight:

The Sacramento Kings tonight (Thursday, June 25th) selected Memphis’ Tyreke Evans (4th overall) and Israel’s Omri Casspi (23rd overall) in the first round of the 2009 NBA Draft and acquired the draft rights to Jon Brockman (38th overall) from Portland. Evans, a 6-6, 220-pound guard, was the 2009 Conference USA Freshman of the Year after averaging a team-high 17.1 points and 5.4 rebounds per game in his freshman season. He was also named to the All-Conference USA First Team and was the MVP of the Conference USA Tournament.

An early entry candidate, Evans scored in double-figures 33 times and tallied 20 points or more in 12 games during the 2008-09 season. His 632 points were the second-most by a freshman in school history and his 77 steals set a freshman record. Evans dished out 143 assists, the third-highest single-season total for a freshman. In three NCAA Tournament games, Evans averaged 22.3 points, 4.0 rebounds and 4.7 assists. He tallied a season-high 33 points against Missouri in the Sweet Sixteen.

As a senior for American Christian School in Aston, Penn., Evans was named the 2008 Pennsylvania Player of the Year by the Associated Press and 2008 Parade Magazine All-America First Team. He was named MVP of the 2008 McDonald’s All-America Game in Milwaukee. In his senior season, Evans averaged 32.1 points, 8.8 rebounds, 5.7 assists and 4.3 steals per game. Evans was a varsity starter on American Christian’s team since the seventh grade.

Evans becomes only the second freshman chosen by the Kings in the lottery – Spencer Hawes (2007, 10th) – and only the third freshman overall, joining Hawes and Gerald Wallace (2001, 25th). The Kings have selected an early entry candidate in five of the last six drafts.
that looks like a player who can score, dish assists, rebound, STEAL and in general CONTRIBUTE to the team.

Last edited:
You just named a bunch of super fast players. Rubio doesnt even have the atheltism to defend them. His strength and skinny size doesnt help him defend either.
i wasnt using those players as references to their offensive game. you said rubio being skinny was a defensive liability. my argument is that those players are the same weight. how come they arent defensive liabilities that would get out muscled?

i wasnt using those players as references to their offensive game. you said rubio being skinny was a defensive liability. my argument is that those players are the same weight. how come they arent defensive liabilities that would get out muscled?
Because of their speed, they can defend well. Rubio has not very good speed.

wtf

A point guard is exactly what the Kings need. It was listed as their #1 need all season and Rubio the #1 option for them all season.

And if you want to get better fast then you go the Boston route. You don't bother with draft picks.

And wtf is hypnitis

Even though my gut tells me that Tyreke Evans is a better player than Ricky Rubio, I still left Arco Arena feeling quite disappointed.

I feel like Ricky Rubio in Sacramento was the second coming of Mike Bibby. Fans were so psyched about him...and when we had the chance to draft him but didn't, I felt a big letdown.

Honestly, I think the letdown was not that we chose Tyreke Evans, but that Ricky Rubio was not impressive enough to be chosen at #4. I think that is the sad truth.

It is unfortunate, because the guy is so marketable. I wish that he was truly the phenomenal Youtube hero, but honestly, I think Youtube created that persona. Four minute clips of the next gunslinging kid nicknamed Pistol Pete from Spain.

There was so much disappointment in the fan's voices tonight. I think that Kings management went against the voice of the fans on this one. That is a dangerous thing to do. I also think that Gavin's wacky over-the-top speech was trying to compensate for the fact that he went against most fans, and was aware of it. It is tough...I was looking forward to Rubio as the new face of the Kings.

In an odd way, even if Evans ends up being better than Rubio, I still wish that we would have drafted Rubio. I wish that he was the mystical face of our franchise that most of us seemed to want.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Even though my gut tells me that Tyreke Evans is a better player than Ricky Rubio, I still left Arco Arena feeling quite disappointed.

I feel like Ricky Rubio in Sacramento was the second coming of Mike Bibby. Fans were so psyched about him...and when we had the chance to draft him but didn't, I felt a big letdown.

Honestly, I think the letdown was not that we chose Tyreke Evans, but that Ricky Rubio was not impressive enough to be chosen at #4. I think that is the sad truth.

It is unfortunate, because the guy is so marketable. I wish that he was truly the phenomenal Youtube hero, but honestly, I think Youtube created that persona. Four minute clips of the next gunslinging kid nicknamed Pistol Pete from Spain.

There was so much disappointment in the fan's voices tonight. I think that Kings management went against the voice of the fans on this one. That is a dangerous thing to do. I also think that Gavin's wacky over-the-top speech was trying to compensate for the fact that he went against most fans, and was aware of it. It is tough...I was looking forward to Rubio as the new face of the Kings.

In an odd way, even if Evans ends up being better than Rubio, I still wish that we would have drafted Rubio. I wish that he was the mystical face of our franchise that most of us seemed to want.
I think that's the whole thing in a nutshell. Nice post...and welcome to KF, by the way.

And I don't think the Maloofs made the choice. I think this was pretty clearly a Petrie decision. I'm just glad the Maloofs allowed him to make it. Good or bad, it's what Petrie felt was the best for the Kings, not what the mercurial owners thought they wanted.

The Kings needed more than just a PURE PG. If thats all we needed, we wouldn't win just 17 gms. We also need a guy that can slash to the rim and create his own shots. No one can do that on the Kings right now. Martin is a great scorer, but he can't do that.

We also need a guy that will demand double teams and dish to the open guy. Evans will demand double teams in this league. If not right away, very soon in his development. Evan CAN make assists. Look at this stats at Memphis. Isn't that about the same as Derrick Rose?

Some of the Evans haters are just too hooked on the CELEBRITY of Rubio.

Last edited:
Evans CAN play the point, Gary.

EDIT: From a press release the Kings sent out earlier tonight:

that looks like a player who can score, dish assists, rebound, STEAL and in general CONTRIBUTE to the team.
Meh.. Have watched him for the last two years, and he isn't a PG.. At least not right now. Can he be? Sure why not.. Will he be good at it? Remains to be seen. I will give him this though, he is a good defender with good ball handling skills. But he has poor court vision, and turnover prone when double teamed. The articles focus on the positives. Not sure how many times you have seen him play but he does need the ball to be effective.

We will see though. I am not holding my breath.

I'm really happy to see that the Maloofs didn't have a part in the decision. I'm not in love with Evans yet, but I like him and I definitely can see him becoming a player that I love to watch in a few years or even this coming season.

We needed a guy that will not be passive and instead be willing to take over a game and that is what Evans brings. Hopefully he becomes a success in the league and I think there is a pretty good chance.

Which games did you watch of his and how did Rubio play? Rubio has not shown anythign spectacular offensively except a bunch of highlights of flashy passing ability.

Evans has NBA type body and length to add to his tough rim finishing skills.
I watched all his olympics games and I saw about 4-5 of his Joventut games (through nbatv, games available to download, and online streaming).

He showed a tremendous ability to break down defenses with his ball handling (ambidextrous) and change of pace/direction, IQ well beyond his age, quick decision making with the ball, excellent pick and roll player (I'm talking Stockton, Nash potential), passing/vision the level of Jason Kidd, and a very good motor (although not tested at NBA starter minutes,) he never gives up on a play, great awareness and ability to cause deflections on the defensive end. Good rebounding PG. He has elite PG size, good length, and IQ that is extremely rare at that age. His ability to facilitate in the half court is very impressive considering his age. Showed great toughness playing with a wrist injury both during the olympics and during the regular season this year.

His weaknesses? lacks great explosiveness although he is an underrated athlete. Lacks scoring ability off the dribble, has a slow release on his shot, lacks elevation, his set shot is decent. Sometimes turns down shots that he needs to take (needs to be more aggressive as a scorer), sometimes forces passes that aren't there. Lacks finishing ability, he has a good touch with both hands but since he lacks strength he needs to learn how to use his body to shield the ball like Nash does. Lacks the lateral quickness to be a great man defender, decent lateral quicks, but more of a team defender.

What does he have going for him coming to the NBA? Better spacing in the NBA, easier to get to the basket than in ACB/Euroleague. He's 18 and has a lot of experience. His biggest weakness is his shooting ability, which is the easiest skill to learn, his strengths are the things that are extremely difficult teach. Elite PG height/length. Great enthusiasm for the game, selfless winning attitude, and exudes confidence. The officiating in the NBA favors perimeter players.

What does he have going against him coming to the NBA? Simply facing superior overall talent both offensively and defensively. Getting used to playing more minutes in a game and more games in a season. Can very well have an easier time getting to the basket in the NBA, but will meet much tougher post defenders in the NBA. Will have to get used to the different style of play of the NBA. Defenders will lay off him and make him prove he can shoot.

High: Late career Jason Kidd
Mid: Andre Miller
Low: Shaun Livingston

The Kings needed more than just a PURE PG. If thats all we needed, we wouldn't win just 17 gms. We also need a guy that can slash to the rim and create his own shots. No one can do that on the Kings right now. Martin is a great scorer, but he can't do that.

We also need a guy that will demand double teams and dish to the open guy. Evans will demand double teams in this league. If not right away, every soon in his development. Evan CAN make assists. Look at this stats at Memphis. Isn't that about the same as Derrick Rose?

Some of the Evans haters are just too hooked on the CELEBRITY of Rubio.
Stats aren't close to Rose.. At least not the assist/to. When Rose played it was more structured as well. Evans was just given the ball and told to play pretty much and it was a lot of iso. Until he plays a "real" PG position we wont know how good he can be.

I'm really happy to see that the Maloofs didn't have a part in the decision. I'm not in love with Evans yet, but I like him and I definitely can see him becoming a player that I love to watch in a few years or even this coming season.

We needed a guy that will not be passive and instead be willing to take over a game and that is what Evans brings. Hopefully he becomes a success in the league and I think there is a pretty good chance.
I'm not quite getting where Kings fans think we need a guy that dominates the ball and wants to take over a game. We had that in Artest/Salmons and have that in Martin. What we need is someone that gets others involved in offense, helps to find easy baskets for our young bigs and gets us out in transition.

Not criticizing your opinion, I just think its funny that all of the reasons we were sick of the one-on-one games we saw the last two years are suddenly being forgotten when we draft a player closer to that mold than a true point.

Evans is decently atheltic when you add his size and wing span to his resume. Rubio is defintely not faster than Evans. Evans is actually a decent ball handler as well.

In the NBA, you do not need to use the skill of behind the back or between the legs passing skills. Rubio has shown he is turnover prone as well.

I dont know how you got the wing span of Rbuio but I do know Evans wing span is 7 feet long which can reach to the streets.

Actually Evan's combine checks out to almost exactly the same as James Harden (even wingspan). Harden was thought to be slight in the athletic dept, but the combine surprised most, with harden showing adequate to good athleticism for a 2 guard. Evans, while fine athletically, is not exactly a jump into the upper deck guard.

Yeah... thats exactly why many people are mad or disappointed. I know most won't admit it, but many people wants Ricky because he is the higher profile pick. The pick that makes the Kings talked about more in the media.

But I really doubt the people that wants Rubio so bad knows enough about him to justify it. Other than an olympic game, youtube highlights and maybe, maybe a few games from his Spain league.... how much have u guys seen of this guy?

Rubio's positive qualities are mostly just assumed and perceived. What I mean is (leadership, court vision etc) can't really be measured. Frankly, no one has really seen him prove that on a court because you can't really tell just from highlights of his best plays.

Evans on the other hand, has the qualities that you can actually measure. Speed, strength, height, handles, ability to beat guys off the dribble and finish at the basket. Better shooter than Rubio at this point. These are actual things u can measure. The supposed weakness as a passer.... well have we seen him try to play point in the NBA yet? If not why are some of u labeling him that? His assist in Memphis was very good and his team won't with him playing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rubio as well and was hoping for either Evans or Rubio at #4. But please, Rubio hasn't proved anything to warrant all this hatred towards picking Evans over him.
Exactly my feelings on Rubio.